Metal Storm logo
What makes you listen to black metal?

Original post

Posted by , 24.06.2006 - 23:58
Hey, I'm curious to know what makes you people listen to black metal? how did you started listening to it?
1st black metal song you listened? Is there any band that as finished that you wish them to come back?
What do you think about the future of black metal?

I love all in black metal, the ideas, the atmosphere, the vocals, drums etc... I started listening to black metal when a friend of mine gave me gorgoroth - pentagram to listen. I loved it and i went right over to a store here and bought the album, since then I have bought many Black metal albums from bands like immortal, nokturnal mortum, darkthrone, carpathian forest and many more. the 1st song i listened was "under the pagan megalith" (awsome track from pentagram).
I am really excited about the idea of immortal re-union, they are one of my favorite bands, I love all their albums (but specialy pure holocaust )
About the future, i think the good bands will always remain but new bands are needed and i don't see excelent new bands.
Here in Portugal we have bands like Lux Ferre, In Thy Flesh, Opus Draconis, Corpus Christii and more, in my opinion they are great but they don't have support to go on and this is happening all over the world.

Please post your opinions and stories

Cheers!
01.01.2011 - 20:59
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Kitty on 31.12.2010 at 15:59

Well, future sure doesn't seem promising for black metal, or any other 'oldschool' genre of metal for that matter.
But you know what they say... Hope dies last.

Why's that? Many bands are still playing in the same vein as the old Norwegians, plus there are many bands which are taking the genre to new, different levels.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
01.01.2011 - 21:35
Kitty

New and different isn't necessarily good.
----
...And I meowmeowmeow!
01.01.2011 - 22:06
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Doh.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
02.01.2011 - 00:16
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Pfff, totally disagree. Black Metal has been more than fine during the latest 10 years.

genres of music go and die when they don't develop or polish it's style. Lucas is right, there are plenty of bands that make traditional black metal in a good way and there's plenty of experimentation... A Great balance imo which I can't say from other subgenres of metal.

I don't like when people say that there are not good bands, they are just not searching at all.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.01.2011 - 01:18
RavenKing

Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.01.2011 at 00:16

Pfff, totally disagree. Black Metal has been more than fine during the latest 10 years.

genres of music go and die when they don't develop or polish it's style. Lucas is right, there are plenty of bands that make traditional black metal in a good way and there's plenty of experimentation... A Great balance imo which I can't say from other subgenres of metal.

I don't like when people say that there are not good bands, they are just not searching at all.

I agree with you and Lucas.
Black Metal is not perfect but, if you compare it to other genres, I think it's in much better shape than all of them. It's probably the only genre in which I still have faith.

Death Metal is incredibly stale and boring, trapped as it is in its own chains.

Thrash Metal is made mostly of old bands who have seen much better days and are only the pale shadow of what they once were, with only a few good new bands to take the flag. Also, the 90s have been a disaster for this genre. Same for traditional Heavy Metal, only even worse and more hopeless.

As for Powermetal, the genre took quite a downward spiral around the millenia and nearly everything new sucks balls.

About Doom Metal, I can't tell, as I never cared to explore the genre because I like my metal fast and I hate depressive music.

I still listen to other genres, apart from Black Metal, but the only genre I'm still interested to search for new stuff is Black Metal. I expect nothing anymore from any other genre.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
02.01.2011 - 02:33
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 02.01.2011 at 01:18

I agree with you and Lucas.
Black Metal is not perfect but, if you compare it to other genres, I think it's in much better shape than all of them. It's probably the only genre in which I still have faith.

Death Metal is incredibly stale and boring, trapped as it is in its own chains.

Thrash Metal is made mostly of old bands who have seen much better days and are only the pale shadow of what they once were, with only a few good new bands to take the flag. Also, the 90s have been a disaster for this genre. Same for traditional Heavy Metal, only even worse and more hopeless.

As for Powermetal, the genre took quite a downward spiral around the millenia and nearly everything new sucks balls.

About Doom Metal, I can't tell, as I never cared to explore the genre because I like my metal fast and I hate depressive music.

I still listen to other genres, apart from Black Metal, but the only genre I'm still interested to search for new stuff is Black Metal. I expect nothing anymore from any other genre.

Another way to keep a genre alive is to mix it with another genre. This explains the existence of subgenres like blackened thrash metal (Desaster), blackened death metal (Behemoth), and blackened doom metal (The Ruins of Beverast). Of all the metal genres, I think black metal is the most adaptive. The core formula is extremely simple, but if you have the skill and creativity, you can add extra ingredients to it and turn it into something spectacular.
02.01.2011 - 03:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 02.01.2011 at 02:33

Another way to keep a genre alive is to mix it with another genre. This explains the existence of subgenres like blackened thrash metal (Desaster), blackened death metal (Behemoth), and blackened doom metal (The Ruins of Beverast). Of all the metal genres, I think black metal is the most adaptive. The core formula is extremely simple, but if you have the skill and creativity, you can add extra ingredients to it and turn it into something spectacular.

I would never say that The Ruins Of Beverast is Doom metal though... It's mostly (if not all) black metal.
I do agree about Black metal being very adaptive, the most one... ehmmm, I don't think so since the same thing can be said about doom metal being both adaptive and with a extremely simple core formula as you going from classic Candlemass to some of the most extreme and huge sounds from bands like Esoteric.

Written by RavenKing on 02.01.2011 at 01:18

Not all doom is depressive. I believe that most of the extreme doom metal bands aren't extreme at all, just plain bone-crushing
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.01.2011 - 03:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.01.2011 at 03:19

I would never say that The Ruins Of Beverast is Doom metal though... It's mostly (if not all) black metal.
I do agree about Black metal being very adaptive, the most one... ehmmm, I don't think so as I see Doom metal being as adaptive if not more than Black Metal going from classic Candlemass to some of the most extreme and huge sounds from bands like Esoteric.

The last album was definitely tipped more in favour of doom than black though, with the exception of that (awesome) Blood Vaults track. Blackened doom is what I'd put it down as.

And I agree, a large proportion of doom isn't depressing (though what constitutes depressing is often down to the individual - Candlemass for me is uplifting).
02.01.2011 - 03:24
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 02.01.2011 at 03:21

The last album was definitely tipped more in favour of doom than black though, with the exception of that (awesome) Blood Vaults track. Blackened doom is what I'd put it down as.

You got me there then since I haven't heard the last one.
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.01.2011 - 03:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.01.2011 at 03:24

Written by Guest on 02.01.2011 at 03:21

You got me there then since I haven't heard the last one.

You should, it's quite good ^_^

On the whole though I'd say they're (he) are more of a black metal band. His next album should decide what he is from here on.
02.01.2011 - 03:29
RavenKing

Written by Guest on 02.01.2011 at 02:33

What I'm about to say will perhaps sound strange but I kinda see BM more as a different approach to music, a different aesthetic or atmosphere that could be applied to almost any kind of music, than as a strict metal genre. Imo, you could 'blacken' pretty much everything and if it's done well and competentely, it will probably sound at least decent.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
02.01.2011 - 03:34
Kitty

What can I say, it's all about personal taste. I wouldn't say there's nothing interesting that currently happens in the world of black metal, but when I get to listen to all those crappy new bands (no names mentioned) it just makes the whole situation look hopeless.
And I just happen to find more stuff I dislike.
I never judge anything before listening to it.
----
...And I meowmeowmeow!
02.01.2011 - 03:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Kitty on 02.01.2011 at 03:34

What can I say, it's all about personal taste. I wouldn't say there's nothing interesting that currently happens in the world of black metal, but when I get to listen to all those crappy new bands (no names mentioned) it just makes the whole situation look hopeless.

What kind of bands are we talking about? Is there are particular strain of black metal that works for you?
02.01.2011 - 03:42
Kitty

Written by Guest on 02.01.2011 at 03:37

Written by Kitty on 02.01.2011 at 03:34

What kind of bands are we talking about? Is there are particular strain of black metal that works for you?

Well I've got something for satanic black metal actually. lol
----
...And I meowmeowmeow!
02.01.2011 - 03:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Kitty on 02.01.2011 at 03:42

Oh O.o I can't really help you there. I tend not to take notice of band's themes and ideologies. I imagine most bands that still do the satanic thing tend to have primitive, ritualistic, occult constructions and production but I don't really know if there's a documented relation between satanic themes and the styles they play.
02.01.2011 - 03:55
Kitty

Written by Guest on 02.01.2011 at 03:44

Written by Kitty on 02.01.2011 at 03:42

Oh O.o I can't really help you there. I tend not to take notice of band's themes and ideologies. I imagine most bands that still do the satanic thing tend to have primitive, ritualistic, occult constructions and production but I don't really know if there's a documented relation between satanic themes and the styles they play.

xD
I don't care about the ideology that much, It's not like I'm a satan-worshipper or anything like that.
I'll try to make it clear, well... I don't really like all that DSBM stuff mostly.
When it comes to black metal, I'd rather listening to Watain, Carpathian Forest, Dark Funeral, 1349, Marduk, ect...

I guess I could've said 'Scandinavian black metal', although I don't really care about the whereabouts of the music.
----
...And I meowmeowmeow!
02.01.2011 - 03:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Kitty on 02.01.2011 at 03:55

xD
I don't care about the ideology that much, It's not like I'm a satan-worshipper or anything like that.
I'll try to make it clear, well... I don't really like all that DSBM stuff mostly.
When it comes to black metal, I'd rather listening to Watain, Carpathian Forest, Dark Funeral, Belphegor, 1349, Marduk, ect...

I guess I could've said 'Scandinavian black metal'.

Yeah I'm not too fond of DSBM either, it's a pretty over done side of black metal.

Well those bands you mentioned are all fairly different to each other so it's hard to recommend stuff but I'd just recommend you keep digging and see what you find - the Last.fm similar artists feature can be pretty useful, I've found tons of unknown and interesting stuff that way. If you want to some weird noisy/wall of sound or industrial black metal I could probably point you in the right direction but I'm not sure it's your thing =P
02.01.2011 - 04:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I remember that Marcel said it once: The swedish unholy trinity of black Metal
Watain, Ondskapt and Funeral Mist.

And I agree with him. You should check them out of you haven't. When ti comes to Funeral Mist, I think that Salvation would be the one, that band has Arioch (aka mortuus from Marduk) as singer/songwriter, etc.
In case yopu haven't heard of that band, I wrote a review months ago.
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.01.2011 - 04:08
Kitty

Written by Guest on 02.01.2011 at 03:58

Written by Kitty on 02.01.2011 at 03:55

xD
When it comes to black metal, I'd rather listening to Watain, Carpathian Forest, Dark Funeral, Belphegor, 1349, Marduk, ect...

I guess I could've said 'Scandinavian black metal'.

Yeah I'm not too fond of DSBM either, it's a pretty over done side of black metal.

Well those bands you mentioned are all fairly different to each other so it's hard to recommend stuff but I'd just recommend you keep digging and see what you find - the Last.fm similar artists feature can be pretty useful, I've found tons of unknown and interesting stuff that way. If you want to some weird noisy/wall of sound or industrial black metal I could probably point you in the right direction but I'm not sure it's your thing =P

Industrial black metal? Ummm... Thanks, but... No thanks.
I've tried listening to industrial metal of various kinds, mostly I didn't like it. Of course there are exceptions, but mostly it just wasn't my cup of tea.
And... Did you just direct me to last.fm? Man, I'm not a cavewoman, Iv'e been using last.fm for ages now.
And again, there ARE exceptions about the new directions of black metal. Actually, one of my favourite bands is a brand new one, they make something between black metal and hardcore punk, and they're simply awesome.
----
...And I meowmeowmeow!
02.01.2011 - 04:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Kitty on 02.01.2011 at 04:08

Industrial black metal? Ummm... Thanks, but... No thanks.
I've tried listening to industrial metal of various kinds, mostly I didn't like it. Of course there are exceptions, but mostly it just wasn't my cup of tea.
And... Did you just direct me to last.fm? Man, I'm not a cavewoman, Iv'e been using last.fm for ages now.
And again, there ARE exceptions about the new directions of black metal. Actually, one of my favourite bands is a brand new one, they make something between black metal and hardcore punk, and they're simply awesome.

Punk and black metal can be an interesting combination. Stuff like Nuit Noire, Gallhammer (not a fan personally) and Kvelertak (who you might like) and new Darkthrone.

Remember though that industrial black metal rarely has anything whatsoever to do with industrial funnily enough so you might like it more than you'd think ;]
02.01.2011 - 04:22
Kitty

...I WAS talking about Kvelertak. Hehe
I've been searching for similar bands, but this one's really difficult...

And about IBM - Well black metal is kinda funny anyways.
I like Anaal Nathrakh alot, btw.
----
...And I meowmeowmeow!
02.01.2011 - 04:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I had a feeling you might be talking about Kvelertak. I can't think of any similar bands to be honest, sorry.

Yeah, early Anaal Nathrakh had a fair amount of industrial in it but they kinda lost it after the Codex Necro record, which was when I lost interest funnily enough :/
02.01.2011 - 04:31
Kitty

What else would you recommend then?

BTW - When mentioning Gallhammer you were talking about that Japanese all-female group?
I don't like them :|
----
...And I meowmeowmeow!
02.01.2011 - 04:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Kitty on 02.01.2011 at 04:31

Well a personal favourite of mine is Axis Of Perdition' - The Ichneumon Method (And Less Welcome Techniques). Basically very intense industrial black metal not that unlike early Anaal Nathrakh.

But yeah, I get the impression you like your BM fast so I think I'll let other people make more recommendations. Mostly because it's nearly 3am and I'm struggling at the moment =P

And yeah I was talking about them. I've never really seen the appeal myself. Seem kinda sloppy and pretty much only famous because they're an all Japanese girl black/crust/doom band.
02.01.2011 - 04:42
Kitty

Written by Guest on 02.01.2011 at 04:38

Written by Kitty on 02.01.2011 at 04:31

Well a personal favourite of mine is Axis Of Perdition' - The Ichneumon Method (And Less Welcome Techniques). Basically very intense industrial black metal not that unlike early Anaal Nathrakh.

But yeah, I get the impression you like your BM fast so I think I'll let other people make more recommendations. Mostly because it's nearly 3am and I'm struggling at the moment =P

And yeah I was talking about them. I've never really seen the appeal myself. Seem kinda sloppy and pretty much only famous because they're an all Japanese girl black/crust/doom band.

Fast, full of goats and sinful words, that is.
However, nighty night. I guess I'll go to bed as well (although I'm more of a nocturnal person) for I need to get up to work tomorrow. Ugh
----
...And I meowmeowmeow!
02.01.2011 - 04:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.01.2011 at 04:05

I remember that Marcel said it once: The swedish unholy trinity of black Metal
Watain, Ondskapt and Funeral Mist.

And I agree with him. You should check them out of you haven't. When ti comes to Funeral Mist, I think that Salvation would be the one, that band has Arioch (aka mortuus from Marduk) as singer/songwriter, etc.
In case yopu haven't heard of that band, I wrote a review months ago.

Yep Salvation is a good choice here I reckon =]
02.01.2011 - 11:49
leminyelloblak

I don't really listen to the newer stuff, honestly. I have totally moved on from it. It's not that it's bad, just that my tastes have changed. I don't remember what my first Black Metal album was... I think it was Venom's "Black Metal" album. Black Metal was classified differently when I was into it. Slayer was actually considered almost Black Metal back then, mainly because of their obsession with well... death... and Satan of course. Other bands I dug and even saw quite a few of them live were Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, Death, Pestilence, Obituary, Sadas, King Diamond, wow... the list goes on. I can't even begin to remember them all. I'm going back 20 years here. It's good to see there are still fans. Keep the flame alive!
16.01.2011 - 17:58
PrimalAntagonist
Account deleted
Black metal is purely a mental experience........
death metal is utterly an visceral experience.......
16.01.2011 - 20:43
JÄY
Metal slave
Shit hypnotizes me
18.01.2011 - 02:39
BeardOvNails

Blackmetal makes anything and everything more aweesome. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMWhrgeGQs4