Metal Storm logo
What makes you listen to black metal?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 24.06.2006 - 23:58
Hey, I'm curious to know what makes you people listen to black metal? how did you started listening to it?
1st black metal song you listened? Is there any band that as finished that you wish them to come back?
What do you think about the future of black metal?

I love all in black metal, the ideas, the atmosphere, the vocals, drums etc... I started listening to black metal when a friend of mine gave me gorgoroth - pentagram to listen. I loved it and i went right over to a store here and bought the album, since then I have bought many Black metal albums from bands like immortal, nokturnal mortum, darkthrone, carpathian forest and many more. the 1st song i listened was "under the pagan megalith" (awsome track from pentagram).
I am really excited about the idea of immortal re-union, they are one of my favorite bands, I love all their albums (but specialy pure holocaust )
About the future, i think the good bands will always remain but new bands are needed and i don't see excelent new bands.
Here in Portugal we have bands like Lux Ferre, In Thy Flesh, Opus Draconis, Corpus Christii and more, in my opinion they are great but they don't have support to go on and this is happening all over the world.

Please post your opinions and stories

Cheers!
18.01.2011 - 03:11
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by BeardOvNails on 18.01.2011 at 02:39

Blackmetal makes anything and everything more aweesome. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMWhrgeGQs4

hahaha Couldn't stop laughing. Great stuff.

These kind of things are also one of the reasons that make me love BM.
18.01.2011 - 18:01
ANGEL REAPER
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 12.12.2010 at 00:33

Dark atmosphere,savage freedom,beauty of brutality makes black metal perfect choice to listen on long,frosted winter nights.

I enjoy it,i listen it,i play it,i write it.Me=Black Metal.Its just another part of me.

Hope you understood what i've just wrote.

Or in other words:
Black Metal is part of the "world" in which the rules of the "game "are set by me,and not by other people....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
19.01.2011 - 03:27
SODOM666
Very atmospheric, dark, cold... I like the whole original take on the genre and it describes the climate where I live
----
Wendy's frostys are "black metal."
19.01.2011 - 07:59
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by JÄY on 16.01.2011 at 20:43

Shit hypnotizes me

Irrelevant to your post, but +1 for having Helstar as your Avatar

Anyways, the same reason I listen to all metal-Riffs. Furthermore, when black metal bands look beyond the trve kvlt side of the music, they can create some really interesting and *gasp* catchy music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyQhD4sH0TU
19.01.2011 - 17:21
Luneth
Account deleted
The musicianship mostly for me, obviously more so in bm bands I like, I just get this feeling like the musicians' are incredibly talented, the vocals, the drumming, the guitar and keyboards [sometimes] are just too good. First black metal experience for me was actually when I was 12; a mate of my cousins' was listening to some Dimmu Borgir and at the time I obviously didn't really like it at all. Heard them again almost 2 years ago and thought wow...

Perhaps it's fortunate that I heard them rather than a different bm band that might not be quite as melodic, don't really know. But the quality of black metal PLUS symphonic and melodic elements that certain bands have is pretty much what cultivated my interest in the genre
19.01.2011 - 22:54
Blue
No other genre is able to express feelings in such an extreme, literal way.
----
cunt.
28.01.2011 - 03:08
SilentScream
Blasphemer
Written by Blue on 19.01.2011 at 22:54

No other genre is able to express feelings in such an extreme, literal way.

Agreed. Same here.
28.01.2011 - 22:02
regmighty
It just sounds amazing lol
30.01.2011 - 04:04

I never really though about this question.

It just...makes me feel awesome. As though I could take over the world. Lol.
----
Thoughts arrive like butterflies. Oh, he don't know, so he chases them away.
06.02.2011 - 01:23
Empyror
I first got into it when a friend showed me Cradle of Filth's Cruelty and the Beast. From then it was to Dimmu's Spiritual Black Dimensions and Emperor's Anthems to the Welkin At Dusk. After listening to the symphonic stuff for awhile I came around to the keyboardless bands like Marduk, Immortal, Dark Funeral, etc. As for the future, I really like what Abigail Williams and Setherial are doing nowadays. Also expect to see more black/hybrid bands like Nachtmystium experimenting with the genre.
15.02.2011 - 04:28
Yojimbo
What makes me listen to bm? 0:16 seconds in and you'll hear my soul screaming out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3YcCRrgfzY&feature=related
15.02.2011 - 04:29
Yojimbo
What makes me listen to bm? 0:16 seconds in and you'll hear my soul screaming out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3YcCRrgfzY&feature=related
02.03.2011 - 11:09
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Love the atmosphere mostly, probably why I have trouble listening to more lo-fi bands.
02.03.2011 - 16:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I have to listen to black metal or Satan will steal my soul.

That's what everyone worries about if they don't listen to black metal, right?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.03.2011 - 18:25
VloRD
The atmosphere achieved by it is just Wicked Sick!
Black Metal just achieves the relevant mood with such awesomeness, sigh....
----
02.03.2011 - 18:51
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
There are several reasons.......... can't really think of particular one........... maybe bcoz it's got be the blastbeats (And Yes,I am a Blasto-phile)
05.03.2011 - 20:14
Javier00
Written by Guest on 02.03.2011 at 18:51

There are several reasons.......... can't really think of particular one...........

This is correct. Not any specific reason for this. Depends on the band i guess... actually some ones are way much listenable then others.
So far i've experienced some sort of "need" when i feel in some particular way.... i pick up some discs by Inquisition and some others by marduk... i actually can't think of any special but thats the core of what i mean right here, sometimes you feel like listening black metal sometimes not. Is not a real question asking "what makes you listen to bm" ... there are lots of several answers to this.
----
Comming back in MS is like WEIRD :)
11.04.2011 - 19:49
XV535Virago
It makes me feel better. And somehow stronger. Helps me forget about the daily troubles and issues.Music ( all kinds of music) can at some point create a mental shelter, talking from my own experience. Forgive me for my scrambled English, not a native speaker.
----
True norwegian Dimmu Burger : zero tolerance to pickles must be issued!
12.04.2011 - 14:13
Bulletdodger
The wild. agressive and extreme sound that makes the blood boil, but somehow tranquilises the mind.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
21.04.2011 - 09:38
*MetalSlave*
The whole slow paced depressive dark vibe, which soothes your mind.
21.04.2011 - 23:33
Balthazine
I'm just going to say "All of the Above" because most of the answers other people have posted describe my reasons as well. Atmospheric, like the riffs that can sometimes accompany it, the dark and cold side of it, I live in a very cold and snowy part of the US and am surrounded by lots of deep forests, so it fits very well on some of those dreary dark winter days, the dark depressive vibes, like I said, almost every reason posted before me can pertain to me as well.

Also it's just something different to listen to from time to time.
----
Sometimes in metal they have called me:
The Minneapolis Metal Music Examiner -I write articles on metal in the MN area for Examiner.com
The Metal Detector -A history of digging up old forgotten metal bands
Thrash Master -Famous for my Walls O' Thrash
23.04.2011 - 03:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.07.2006 at 18:54

My interest in black metal has wanded significantly. I have to ask myself if I ever really enjoyed it to be honest. I guess that isn't true as a few BM bands still get frequent playtime such as Velvet Cacoon, Blut Aus Nord and Deathspell Omega, Enslaved, Ruins of Beverast (Basically anything that has a distinctive sound).

I think, if I had to put a reason as to why I dislike most of it now, it's because I got sick of hearing exactly the same type of music from so many bands. I am of course talking about the over-emulated style of black metal ala Darkthrone, Burzum etc. Because BM seems to work on the notion that "less is more" it just got to the point where it really all does sound the same. I went through a stage of downloading every BM band off of soulseek I could get my hands on and listening to them a lot but the lack of creativity and depth of most bands just destroyed it for me.

I think this whole "evil," "cold," "cultness" blah de blah has never really taken with me. I never listened to a band and thought of killing jews or sacrificing a goat or any of that nonsense. I do contest that a lot of BM fans are most likely into it for its elitism and imagery and not because they actually enjoy the music. I remember when I first listened to Darkthrone's 'Transylvanian Hunger' I really had to force to myself to like it, which raised the question as to whether or not I did like it or was I just used to it. A person can force themselves to like and understand anything if they push themselves hard enough and I believe that is definitely true with music. I'm not saying that all BM fans are fake and in it just for the reputation but I would surmise that black metal has the highest number of fans who enjoy it for this purpose.

I've never come across a genre whos fans so desperately try to justify it's brilliance with swathes of paragraphs spouting the same contrived notions of grimness and dark cult wonder. It just doesn't happen in any other sub-genre and this is why I think a lot of members are full of shit. It has, for the most part, lost its identity, as has many of its fans it would seem. Why do people listen to music because it's evil?! It actually makes no sense and backs up my point that people aren't into music because it has a nice sound but instead because it has something that is considered cool amongst peers.

I do enjoy much black metal but I am now very much more selective and objective as to what I listen to and enjoy. When I do find myself enjoying BM I get a warm, familiar feeling full of nostalgia and happy thoughts. The same with any other kind of music. That's what music is supposed to do. I don't confuse my feelings and empathise with the theme and negative nature of the actual music. To do that and derive enjoyment I would have to be a masochist and I'm not and as much as most of the people who enjoy BM would like to think they are, they are not masochists either.

One last rant, I can't stand it when people have music lists that consist of only one genre, just how limited must your mind be to only listen to one type of music?

Wow, I thought that nearly 5 years ago?

Guess I still kinda agree with myself but... I don't really care that much anymore to be so serious.
23.04.2011 - 03:18
RavenKing
Written by Guest on 23.04.2011 at 03:11

One last rant, I can't stand it when people have music lists that consist of only one genre, just how limited must your mind be to only listen to one type of music?

I call it knowing your tastes well enough, instead of searching yourself throughout every conceivable metal genre.
Imo, some people disperse themselves way too much, which can hint at a lack of personnality.

Also, I can hardly conceive how people can enjoy every metal genre, while some of them are so much the opposite of another. There's a lack of coherence somewhere.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
23.04.2011 - 03:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 23.04.2011 at 03:18

I call it knowing your tastes well enough, instead of searching yourself throughout every conceivable metal genre.
Imo, some people disperse themselves way too much, which can hint at a lack of personnality.

Also, I can hardly conceive how people can enjoy every metal genre, while some of them are so much the opposite of another. There's a lack of coherence somewhere.

I don't remember the specific nature of that comment but I'd say you'd find a lot less personality in someone who listens to nothing but the same thing throughout the years of their life because they're so determined that that's what defines them as a person. The idea of listening to nothing but black metal, or death metal or what have you is positively suffocating. Don't confuse someone who has a wide range of musical tastes with someone who "listens to a bit of everything". Whether or not tastes are inherent or in fact learned is besides the point, it's quite easy to enjoy and appreciate a wide range and span of musical subsets, not just one. The idea of defining myself within a particular genre is a pretty sickening concept and a lifeless way of viewing the vast world of music to be honest.

Coherance is a nonsensical notion when it comes to music taste. Has no relevance. I love VNV Nation and I love The Ruins of Beverast. Do they cancel each other out? No.
23.04.2011 - 03:34
RavenKing
Written by Guest on 23.04.2011 at 03:27

Written by RavenKing on 23.04.2011 at 03:18

I don't remember the specific nature of that comment but I'd say you'd find a lot less personality in someone who listens to nothing but the same thing throughout the years of their life because they're so determined that that's what defines them as a person. The idea of listening to nothing but black metal, or death metal or what have you is positively suffocating. Don't confuse someone who has a wide range of musical tastes with someone who "listens to a bit of everything". Whether or not tastes are inherent or in fact learned is besides the point, it's quite easy to enjoy and appreciate a wide range and span of musical subsets, not just one. The idea of defining myself within a particular genre is a pretty sickening concept and a lifeless way of viewing the vast world of music to be honest.

Coherance is a nonsensical notion when it comes to music taste. Has no relevance. I love VNV Nation and I love The Ruins of Beverast. Do they cancel each other out? No.

I understand your point of view. I would say that, even though I know all metal genres and I've been listening to metal for more than 25 years, my tastes in metal are limited nowadays, as I listen exclusively to Black Metal and a bit of Thrash. All the rest, I stopped caring a while ago.
My tastes IN METAL are limited. That doesn't mean I don't like lots of other kinds of music.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
23.04.2011 - 03:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 23.04.2011 at 03:34

I understand your point of view. I would say that, even though I know all metal genres and I've been listening to metal for more than 25 years, my tastes in metal are limited nowadays, as I listen exclusively to Black Metal and a bit of Thrash. All the rest, I stopped caring a while ago.
My tastes IN METAL are limited. That doesn't mean I don't like lots of other kinds of music.

Well I guess all I can do is come find you in another 15 years and tell you what my state of mind is. Looking at that post I made 5 years ago I can see how my tastes have moved on and expanded outwards since then and these days I explore a lot more styles of music yet have a narrower tolerance for the quality in each. I can't say it's a bad way to do things but I'm certainly up for exploring new styles. I recently forced myself to listen to more punk, a genre I would once have scoffed at for its simplicity, but this year has probably had more punk played than metal.

Anyway if you're happy with your listening habits it doesn't really matter either way.
03.05.2011 - 22:39
Sammol
I don't usually listen to black metal unless it has some Death Metal Elements, or atleast the guitar tone is warmer than usual.
08.05.2011 - 14:41
koob
I was like... 13 when I heard my first Mayhem song "Freezing Moon" and got instantly hooked up by the aggressivity and awesomeness. Never looked back again since then.
09.05.2011 - 17:06
jazar94
Why do I listen to black metal? Hmmm...

Actually, I just started listening to black metal a few weeks ago, because Belus' Deod by Burzum was so damned catchy, I had to get more. Now, I have around 30 black metal albums, and I've only listened to 6 of them, so I'll answer this question after a month or two.. If I remember..
11.05.2011 - 06:36
Fallen
Why? more like Why not?

Just the sheer emotion and atmosphere and distortion within each album just made for better music. Like I can lay in my bed at night listening to black metal and oddly enough it manages to calm and lul me to sleep.

Black Metal began for me when my cousin introduced me to it when of course he was just getting into it. He showed me songs like 1349 - Riders of the Apocalypse, Gorgorath - Carving a Giant, and Burzum - Dunkelheit. At the time like most people, I would be willing to venture, thought that these people were insane, nuts, and just all around out of their minds. I didn't see any point to Black Metal. I couldn't get passed the weird clothing, makeup, props, and vocals it was too much for me. But eventually I got drawn back into it mostly by Burzum, Marduk, 1349, Mayhem, and the list goes on. Theres just a whole new level of understanding and emotion in Black Metal that makes it pure awesomeness.

However the future of Black Metal I'm not to keen on. As with every genre there are three to four types of bands that come throughout a genres history.
1) The "Creators" the first innovators that made the genre great and started the revolution
2) The "Perfectors" These are the innovators that helped take the genre to even greater hights and make it better as a whole
3) The "Copiers" These guys are what make a genre not worthwhile, They basically do everything that those before them did and "copy" them. Hardly any innovation and quite boring music in general. Simply because you've heard it all before.
4) The "Ocassionalists" These are the bands that you get every once and a while who actually contribute to the genre and dare call themselves innovators of the genre.

Unfortunately I see Black metal heading into the "copiers" phase like other genres before it, if it hasn't already of course. But we can hope that amazing bands keep releasing all this great music that we all enjoy.