Metal Storm logo
What makes you listen to black metal?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 24.06.2006 - 23:58
Hey, I'm curious to know what makes you people listen to black metal? how did you started listening to it?
1st black metal song you listened? Is there any band that as finished that you wish them to come back?
What do you think about the future of black metal?

I love all in black metal, the ideas, the atmosphere, the vocals, drums etc... I started listening to black metal when a friend of mine gave me gorgoroth - pentagram to listen. I loved it and i went right over to a store here and bought the album, since then I have bought many Black metal albums from bands like immortal, nokturnal mortum, darkthrone, carpathian forest and many more. the 1st song i listened was "under the pagan megalith" (awsome track from pentagram).
I am really excited about the idea of immortal re-union, they are one of my favorite bands, I love all their albums (but specialy pure holocaust )
About the future, i think the good bands will always remain but new bands are needed and i don't see excelent new bands.
Here in Portugal we have bands like Lux Ferre, In Thy Flesh, Opus Draconis, Corpus Christii and more, in my opinion they are great but they don't have support to go on and this is happening all over the world.

Please post your opinions and stories

Cheers!
16.05.2011 - 21:10
Sulac
It fascinates me. The dark vibe grips my interest and keeps the music interesting to me.
The emotion in the music is unmatched by any, to me, save doom, and it has better instrumentation to back it up than doom.
The ferocity in some black, and the atmosphere in other black, both speak to me and keep me morbidly fascinated with the genre.
Plus, I like the diversity of lyrical subjects. Everything, from fantasy to nihilism, is discussed in black metal, and I love it.
Oh, and lastly, the sound is amazing.
18.05.2011 - 17:02
jazar94
I have now decided that I like black metal just because I do. Why put alot of thought into something as simple as musical tastes?

Actually, through the psychological perspective, it's very likely that I like black metal simply because nobody else in this shithole of a school does, and I'm just a typical non-conformist.
20.05.2011 - 22:33
Fog
Before I listened to BM I listened to underground death and thrash metal. I was attracted to the extremeness and conviction of early BM. Black metal is more then music. It is also a way of life and expression. The freedom to break away from the so-called reality that society has built and believes is right stemming from religious views and morals. Plus coming from someone whom read a lot of Nietzsche this style was right up my alley of thinking. Now, 20+ years later I have never looked back. Though I am disappointed with the scene today, there is still an underground scene living and breathing away from the light of society and the sheep. Keep the flames burning!!!
20.06.2011 - 04:57
ToMegaTherion
I started listening to BM in 2002 when I watch a live concert of a band from Adelaide who were quite average. A friend of mine at the time who really liked BM agreed with me and gave me a few CDs of some 'good' bands which included Immortal, Dark Throne, Emperor.
21.06.2011 - 00:08
fabregassed
Account deleted
Black metal for me is just a genre. I don't really care much for the ideals etc, just the music.
27.06.2011 - 22:24
Himann
Orm KrigGud
I remember who I was 5 - 7 years ago whenever I listen to black metal now a days. Its like a return to the darkside. I can see myself for the guy who posted in this thread many many years back. Black Metal is a part of what I have become.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
28.06.2011 - 01:21
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
Mostly because of the musical distinction itself. I just LOVED the sound of shrieking and tremolo guitar in some decent songs. I love shrieking vocals more than growling, in fact, even though I still consider myself in the days of the DM vs. BM musical war taking Death Metal's side. Also, the dark atmosphere that bands set (say, for example, Darkthrone or Mayhem in "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas") is just great for me.

However, with all of that, I'm not much of a Black Metal guy. I tend to not like ANYTHING that seriously has lots of Christian stuff in it. Even if it's anti-Christian, if too anti-Christian, I'm just.. meh. Like, I don't mind Morbid Angel or even Mercyful Fate's lyrics even though they're too close to BM in that side, but meh. Somehow Black Metal that has its cause to spread Satanism or provoke Satanist stuff just loses my interest. And that Unblack Metal scene, too. Crazy shit. I'm already tired of religion in my everyday life, when I come to listen to my favorite music, I don't wanna be bugged by the religious people again. Even if they're Satanists or Hindus.
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
28.06.2011 - 08:10
Sammol
I listen to black metal if it's 20% death metal.
07.07.2011 - 19:52
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
I've never really tried listening to BM. Only three bands, of which I like one. I've listened to Immortal which I kind of like. Also, I checked Emperor and Enslaved but I guess I don't like them that much. I'm really a DM guy.
10.07.2011 - 09:22
Plague
Basically I like the Satanic themes in the lyrics...all the demons, evil, etc. They really appeal to me. I know some bands might not be satanists exactly, but I like the lyrics and the music that goes with it. Nuthin like drinkin some Jack Daniels and listening to some Carpathian Forest and Dark Funeral for me...puts me in another place. It's pretty powerful and fvcking awesome shit. Satan's really cool when u get to know him. That's my kinda black metal. Hail \m/
----
Darkness is part of your nature...embrace it and emancipate your evil wickedness!
Infernal soldiers demonized,
Fucked up angels sodomized,
Face of the earth dechristianized
The universe...SATANIZED!
10.07.2011 - 18:16
Night Sight
Because of the cold and dark atmosphere and lyrical themes
I like some black metal bands with dark and frost lyrics such as immortal
the band that was my first listen in BM
i really enjoy their music and because of this band i also listened to another BM bands
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
11.07.2011 - 08:20
Plague
Oh, forgot to mention...
started listening to bm after listening to Deicide (which i kno is dm), but their songs have a lot of evil shit, so i started seeking out more of that kind of lyrical themes and found them in bm. Really liked Deicide's song Satan Spawn from the Legion album.
----
Darkness is part of your nature...embrace it and emancipate your evil wickedness!
12.07.2011 - 12:04
Vaticunt
I normally tend to listen to Depressive Suicidal, of which i listen to for its dark melodic atmosphere, something you can release yourself to (bands like Thy Light and Make a Change...Kill yourself). Also the lyrics are extremely beautiful and thought provoking, of which i cannot say for such genre's as Death Metal.
* exert from Silencers- I shall lead, you shall follow *
Panzer Riders
Through Bloody Storms,
Acid Spiders
In Uniforms

Golden Gleams
That Are Sunken Streams,
Buried In The Coil
Of Infinite Di - Visions

I Doom The Carriers Of Wombs,
Opened Are Your Shallow Tombs
13.07.2011 - 01:02
Sean 79
I listen to black metal because His Infernal Majesty the Lord of Darkness commands me to
13.07.2011 - 20:19
Septicfish
I began my slow, torturous decent from the fallacy of my pathetic brainwashed ideologies, and saw, for the first time, the façade of frail white veils that shrouds the world with castrated hope. The world is a cruel f*cking place, and it certainly is not meant for sugar-coated shit...
----
Ave Lucifer cornuta Magnus, Sanctus Satanas, dator vitae aeternae et signifer libero.
18.07.2011 - 09:23
Plague
Written by Septicfish on 13.07.2011 at 20:19

I began my slow, torturous decent from the fallacy of my pathetic brainwashed ideologies, and saw, for the first time, the façade of frail white veils that shrouds the world with castrated hope. The world is a cruel f*cking place, and it certainly is not meant for sugar-coated shit...

well said!
----
18.07.2011 - 09:34
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
I became a black metal listener when I was Enslaved by The Power Cosmic that came to me At The Heart Of Winter.

But seriously, what kind of a question is that? People listen to any genre of metal for the same reasons - there are bands capable of writing cool riffs and interesting melodies in all of them. I think. Maybe.
18.07.2011 - 20:55
T_s_T
I was thrown into black metal ever since I wanted to venture beyond Behemoth. The vibe makes me feel empowered and helps me stand tall and strong for what I believe in. I tend to take black metal as not a refusal towards a false way of life, rather than a sountrack to my own liberty of life choices. And I love screaming ''I am possessed'' everytime I get the chance!!!
20.07.2011 - 08:56
Plague
LOL... everytime i read the thread title "What makes you listen to black metal" makes me think... What makes me to a lot of stuff I do ?? LOL
----
23.07.2011 - 06:15
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Well, I listen to black metal for just some months ago. I began to listen this genre when I saw Bathory - One Rode To Asa Bay. That time, I don't even know what black metal is. Soon, I was listening to some Old-Albuns from Bathory. I loved "Under The Sign Of The Black Mark". The sound is (although rough) cool! It isn't anything like those genres we listen that sound exactly the same thing. Now I'm listening to Satyricon, and I'm enjoying everything.
For me to say the best song is hard, but i highlight Bathory "Enter The Eternal Fire" and "In Nomine Satanas". From Satyricon, "The Pentagram Burns" and "K.I.N.G", But there's one problem in this all:

I Hate Satanic/Blasphemous/Anti-Christ Lyrics!

What i do, now?
24.07.2011 - 12:25
Plague
Written by Guest on 23.07.2011 at 06:15

What i do, now?

I guess you just start liking them since you're already listening to them. HATE is such a strong word LOL
----
24.07.2011 - 14:44
Jirpo
The emotion and atmosphere that can't be created with any other type of music.
25.07.2011 - 05:08
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Plague on 24.07.2011 at 12:25

Written by Guest on 23.07.2011 at 06:15

What i do, now?

I guess you just start liking them since you're already listening to them. HATE is such a strong word LOL

You right. I Think I will listen more Viking Black Metal. I will not fnd lucifer there!
18.09.2011 - 13:25
lyrinx
I started listening to bm all for the pure hardcore thrash, 1st i got in to slayer, then death metal bands like cannibal corpse, after listening to that i thought there is no way there can be anything with a more ridiculous voice. then i found burzum and the song "war", and mayhem's song Necrolust (mediolanum capta est version) & gorgoroth's song possessed by satan, wen i first listen to them i was like "holy fuck thats a voice" it seemed so raw. after that i got in to over 20 bm bands like nargaroth darkthrone bathory behemorh (old) aaskereia

i dont suport satanism, but i do hate the christians cause im an atheist and the christians are dumbing down this world.

black metal has opened me up to so many artist and genres like dsbm, and im just now starting to listen to artist's demo's
18.09.2011 - 15:43
Zombie94
Written by Septicfish on 13.07.2011 at 20:19

I began my slow, torturous decent from the fallacy of my pathetic brainwashed ideologies, and saw, for the first time, the façade of frail white veils that shrouds the world with castrated
hope. The world is a cruel f*cking place, and it certainly is not meant for sugar-coated shit...

21.09.2011 - 17:32
jazar94
Written by lyrinx on 18.09.2011 at 13:25

I started listening to bm all for the pure hardcore thrash, 1st i got in to slayer, then death metal bands like cannibal corpse, after listening to that i thought there is no way there can be anything with a more ridiculous voice. then i found burzum and the song "war", and mayhem's song Necrolust (mediolanum capta est version) & gorgoroth's song possessed by satan, wen i first listen to them i was like "holy fuck thats a voice" it seemed so raw. after that i got in to over 20 bm bands like nargaroth darkthrone bathory behemorh (old) aaskereia

i dont suport satanism, but i do hate the christians cause im an atheist and the christians are dumbing down this world.

black metal has opened me up to so many artist and genres like dsbm, and im just now starting to listen to artist's demo's

You're so cool with your radikvlt view of Christianity. Hate the belief, not the followers.
21.09.2011 - 21:33
sundogs
Varg will kill you if you don't .
----
22.09.2011 - 04:20
dr.doom
The atmospheric stuff is what captures me. The thrashy, heavy BM bands are nice for short periods of time, but the ambient stuff never gets old for me.

Something about it just chills me to the bone, and I can safely say no other genre of music has that kind of effect on me.
22.09.2011 - 17:20
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Atmosphere. Not all bands though. Some BM bands don't make a good atmosphere.
My first song was "Pure Holocaust" by Immortal.
22.09.2011 - 18:18
sundogs
Written by dr.doom on 22.09.2011 at 04:20

The atmospheric stuff is what captures me. The thrashy, heavy BM bands are nice for short periods of time, but the ambient stuff never gets old for me.

Something about it just chills me to the bone, and I can safely say no other genre of music has that kind of effect on me.

This is quite accurate for me as well.
----