Metal Storm logo
The best Folk Metal band

Original post

Posted by MétalNoir, 27.07.2008 - 06:18
I recently got interested in Folk Metal and I like it more an more. At first, I thought Finntroll was about the only Folk Metal band and that it was a marginal and widely unknown genre, but I soon realized Folk Metal bands are many, hailing from a lot of countries, ready to sing or scream the legends of their homeland. I only know half the bands I mentioned above and I'd like you to tell me which one you like the most and help me separating original and innovating ones from tasteless copycats...

Poll

Which Folk Metal band do you prefer?

Ensiferum
Aggalloch
Moonsorrow
Korpiklaani
Eqilibrium
Finntroll
Eluveitie
Turisas
Elvenking

Total votes: 427
16.08.2008 - 18:47
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Well, now that I've listened to all these bands, I have to admit Aggalloch doesn't fit very well in the poll... I can't find what's folkish in their music, even though The Mantle is a GREAT album: I love accoustic guitar. Arkona would have been a better pick, they're remarkable in two points: first, they're Russian (I love Russia for some reason...) and they're the only band I know apart from Arch Enemy with a screaming chick. Moonsorrow sounds a lot more like black metal, so it's just plain noise to me... And Turisas... that band's sound really grows on you! Holmgard and Beyond is an instant sing-alonger and you can't take that song out of your head, really.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
16.08.2008 - 18:54
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I voted Eluveitie even though I don't know all bands on the list, but I do know that I like this band a lot. Would have liked to see Arkona on the list as well as they make some great music too
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
18.08.2008 - 04:54
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
For actual folk, I would go with Korpiklaani, but it's not fair having Agalloch on there, as they're much better than every other band.
20.08.2008 - 16:35
Iceland_Norway
Korpiklaani overall!!!!

I'm listening everything about Folk Metal Music produced by Korpiklaani's members Juho with Matson under monicker Falchion and Hittavainen under Monicker Poropetra.
----
Føroyar mítt land

Tú alfagra land mítt

Føroyar mín Móðir
20.08.2008 - 19:58
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
korpiklaani is funier to listen since theres no Tuatha de Danann or Diadema tristas, or Uaral... ill choose the happiest band xD
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
25.08.2008 - 03:11
Fiddlewench
Account deleted
I voted for Equilibrium, though Moonsorrow is a very close second.
25.08.2008 - 18:01
Galar
Wicked Mung
I said Equilibrium, however my vote would have gone to Forefather if they were on here....
Forefather is the all-around most complete, best sounding folk metal band in my opinion. All of their releases have been gems, and bands like Agalloch shouldn't be on this list.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
28.08.2008 - 01:29
Iron Priest
Well I can't judge most of the bands on here. And I am quite new to Folk. However I haven't been able to get enough of Wuthering Heights.
28.08.2008 - 02:39
Janne
Hugin
I love: Ensiferum, Korpiklaani, Moonsorrow, Finntroll, Turisas
I very like: Eqilibrium, Eluveitie, Elvenking
Don't know/like/want to know: Aggalloch
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
28.08.2008 - 15:44
Elio
Red Nightmare
I go with Moonsorrow, a band that especially in the last period I really love. The others are just great too.

Written by Janne on 28.08.2008 at 02:39

Listen to some of their works! You won't regret.
Ah, and it's Agalloch.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
28.08.2008 - 15:52
Janne
Hugin
Written by Elio on 28.08.2008 at 15:44

I go with Moonsorrow, a band that especially in the last period I really love. The others are just great too.

Ah, and it's Agalloch.

I don't like music from Usa, maybe I'll listen to them once but not in the close future.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
28.08.2008 - 15:54
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Janne on 28.08.2008 at 15:52

Written by Elio on 28.08.2008 at 15:44

Ah, and it's Agalloch.

I don't like music from Usa, maybe I'll listen to them once but not in the close future.

They don't sound American at all. Listen to this http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=GlVzgAsVI4I
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
29.08.2008 - 08:32
Oracle
Orcinus
OMG!!! I love most of those bands off that list... Do i have to pick one? Alright I pick Ensiferum. All their albums are good IMO and i just like their music very much. Equilibrium comes second though I love their 'Turis Fratyr' album, its a brilliant album
29.08.2008 - 10:08
thesabbathfan
ensiferum.

turisas is a close second as The Varngian Way really impresses me.
----
29.08.2008 - 11:52
Opethienne
Account deleted
i think ensiferum is the best cause they play folk death metal and sur i like death metal, but i like too finntroll cause they mixt Atmospheric and sounds like Bathory and Enslaved.
29.08.2008 - 12:12
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Guest on 29.08.2008 at 11:52

i think ensiferum is the best cause they play folk death metal and sur i like death metal, but i like too finntroll cause they mixt Atmospheric and sounds like Bathory and Enslaved.

Enaiferum does not play Folk Death.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
29.08.2008 - 12:19
Opethienne
Account deleted
Ensiferum hmm you're sur, i know that's Markus Toivonen ( Guitarist, clean voice ) was influenced by Death melodic bands
29.08.2008 - 12:48
Abattoir
Staff
Written by Guest on 29.08.2008 at 12:19

Ensiferum hmm you're sur, i know that's Markus Toivonen ( Guitarist, clean voice ) was influenced by Death melodic bands

In my opinion bands like Ensiferum, Equilibrium and so on, plays more like (extreme) folk metal with
black/death vocals...that's how I explain their music to myself.
29.08.2008 - 12:49
Opethienne
Account deleted
you're right cause they'have a guttural voice! So .. o_0
31.08.2008 - 00:53
Sorg
Account deleted
Definitely Primordial or Waylander. Listen to them and you'll see what I mean.
03.09.2008 - 18:23
Janne
Hugin
Written by Abattoir on 29.08.2008 at 12:48

In my opinion bands like Ensiferum, Equilibrium and so on, plays more like (extreme) folk metal with

Hey, please tell me what's the difference between Folk/Black or Folk/Death and Extreme Folk metal!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
03.09.2008 - 19:17
-Soulreaper-
A very tough decision but I went with Moonsorrow. Just an amazing freaking band.
05.09.2008 - 17:43
juanopereira
I think ENsiferum but I like a lot Finntroll too.
06.09.2008 - 22:44
EaTNaLiVe666
Account deleted
Finntroll is my fave on that list.
17.10.2008 - 10:24
Yossarian
I like very much Ensiferum, Eluveitie and Equilibrium as well, but my vote goes for Moonsorrow, since I considered that they make the perfect mixture between Folk and Metal. However, I prefer Skyclad most of all. My vote would go for them if they were here.
19.10.2008 - 21:36
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Janne on 03.09.2008 at 18:23

Hey, please tell me what's the difference between Folk/Black or Folk/Death and Extreme Folk metal!

That's an interesting question, I've been wondering myself why Finntroll is labelled Extreme Folk on this site while Ensiferum is Black/Folk. I mean, Ensiferum has nothing to do with BM, but Finntroll does sound like nasty gnomes playing BM... To me, real Black/Folk bands are Equilibrium, Moonsorrow and the like. The song Verrat from Equilibrium's Sagas (which is my favorite album ever) could be mistaken as old Dimmu Borgir without the folk elements.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
19.10.2008 - 22:31
Janne
Hugin
Written by MétalNoir on 19.10.2008 at 21:36

Written by Janne on 03.09.2008 at 18:23

That's an interesting question, I've been wondering myself why Finntroll is labelled Extreme Folk on this site while Ensiferum is Black/Folk. I mean, Ensiferum has nothing to do with BM, but Finntroll does sound like nasty gnomes playing BM... To me, real Black/Folk bands are Equilibrium, Moonsorrow and the like. The song Verrat from Equilibrium's Sagas (which is my favorite album ever) could be mistaken as old Dimmu Borgir without the folk elements.

sure. ensiferum is not black at all! but equilibrium.. it's very hard. their music is very powerful but extreme and also folk in the same time.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
21.10.2008 - 15:30
MathC
Account deleted
All those bands annoy me.

SIG:AR:TYR is better. Or Temnozor.
21.10.2008 - 15:55
vikingdragon
Account deleted
I think Korpiklaani, but I like the other bands too.
21.10.2008 - 21:37
Janne
Hugin
Tyr is missing from the list...
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-