Metal Storm logo
The best Folk Metal band

Original post

Posted by MétalNoir, 27.07.2008 - 06:18
I recently got interested in Folk Metal and I like it more an more. At first, I thought Finntroll was about the only Folk Metal band and that it was a marginal and widely unknown genre, but I soon realized Folk Metal bands are many, hailing from a lot of countries, ready to sing or scream the legends of their homeland. I only know half the bands I mentioned above and I'd like you to tell me which one you like the most and help me separating original and innovating ones from tasteless copycats...

Poll

Which Folk Metal band do you prefer?

Ensiferum
Aggalloch
Moonsorrow
Korpiklaani
Eqilibrium
Finntroll
Eluveitie
Turisas
Elvenking

Total votes: 427
27.10.2008 - 06:54
Dragonforce89
Account deleted
Ensiferum is Power Metal not FolkMetal.
27.10.2008 - 15:17
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Guest on 27.10.2008 at 06:54

Ensiferum is Power Metal not FolkMetal.

No, they are Power/Folk Metal.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
27.10.2008 - 16:22
Stigmatized
From this list, Agalloch is easily the best IMO. No band mixes folk music and metal and creates such a great atmosphere like Agalloch. The best folk metal band is of course Windir though.
27.10.2008 - 19:41
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Now that I realized Folk is one of my favorite metal subgenres, I wish I could remake this poll... Thyrfing and Tyr should be in the list, while Agalloch and Elvenking should not. Agalloch is great but not folk enough, while Elvenking is not that popular.
I don't understand why people like Ensiferum that much. I guess that's because they sound so much like Children Of Bodom, but IMO their songs are very repetitive and musically hardly more folk-influenced than COB or Norther.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
28.10.2008 - 00:40
Janne
Hugin
Written by MétalNoir on 27.10.2008 at 19:41

Now that I realized Folk is one of my favorite metal subgenres, I wish I could remake this poll... Thyrfing and Tyr should be in the list, while Agalloch and Elvenking should not. Agalloch is great but not folk enough, while Elvenking is not that popular.
I don't understand why people like Ensiferum that much. I guess that's because they sound so much like Children Of Bodom, but IMO their songs are very repetitive and musically hardly more folk-influenced than COB or Norther.

Ensiferum is obviously folk metal. yeah it has some similarity with norther or others but which folk metal band isn't similar to other not folk metal bands? you're right that musically not as folk (but much more than norther or cob) but you must also see the themes and lyrics etc!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
29.10.2008 - 04:30
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Korpiklaani is the best pure folk metal band for me. The other bands are Folk Metal and other metal hybrids.
----
Coldgrits
30.10.2008 - 15:48
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by -DC-002- on 29.10.2008 at 04:30

Korpiklaani is the best pure folk metal band for me. The other bands are Folk Metal and other metal hybrids.

I agree with you, though I am annoyed by the fact Korpiklaani extensively use English in their lyrics... They do have some Finnish tracks, but on the whole they are an English band. To me, a real folk band should at least sing in their mother-tongue, like Moonsorrow and Equilibrium (German) or Finntroll (Swedish).
----
31.10.2008 - 02:17
Janne
Hugin
Written by MétalNoir on 30.10.2008 at 15:48

Written by -DC-002- on 29.10.2008 at 04:30

I agree with you, though I am annoyed by the fact Korpiklaani extensively use English in their lyrics... They do have some Finnish tracks, but on the whole they are an English band. To me, a real folk band should at least sing in their mother-tongue, like Moonsorrow and Equilibrium (German) or Finntroll (Swedish).

Moonsorrow is not german and on the latest Korpiklaani album there are only 3 english tracks. and imo it's not a big problem that we can understand some of their lyrics...
what I like in Korpiklaani that their music is 100% synth free.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
31.10.2008 - 14:14
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Personally, I don't care that much for growled lyrics, since I hardly understand anything without reading them. And when I really like an English song and learn the lyrics, I grow tired of that song after a while, which is not the case with tongues I don't understand at all. For example, I can listen to Unbesiegt (from Equilibrium) a thousand times a day, but if I knew the lyrics by heart, I would grow tired of it.
----
05.11.2008 - 17:51
the prisoner

Tough decision, but Moonsorrow takes it.
05.11.2008 - 20:34
Mietiskelijä
Account deleted
Very hard decision, but I voted for Turisas because this time I love so much this band
08.11.2008 - 09:32
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
I remember when i first got into this 'folk-phase' a few years ago. All those crazy European bands creating metal influenced from folk music. However, i see the genre as quite tedious now. It's so popular, and bands are starting to sound like other bands, and the originality is leaving. There are some bands who bring in something new. Eluveitie is a good example.

I picked Ensiferum because overall, they have the best albums for me. Im not a big fan of Turisas, Finntroll and Elvenking. Moonsorrow have a few good songs, likewise Equilibrium and Eluveitie.
08.11.2008 - 09:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dark Cornatus on 08.11.2008 at 09:32

I remember when i first got into this 'folk-phase' a few years ago. All those crazy European bands creating metal influenced from folk music. However, i see the genre as quite tedious now. It's so popular, and bands are starting to sound like other bands, and the originality is leaving. There are some bands who bring in something new. Eluveitie is a good example.

europujan bands are TrOO folk bands, I know some bands say we're trOO metal, like manowar but realy folk its only euripeian and its true othe rcontinents, thay be true if play indina metal, bushmen metal or apache metal
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.11.2008 - 09:52
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by Bad English on 08.11.2008 at 09:41

europujan bands are TrOO folk bands, I know some bands say we're trOO metal, like manowar but realy folk its only euripeian and its true othe rcontinents, thay be true if play indina metal, bushmen metal or apache metal

Here in Australia, we should create 'outback metal', and incorperate didgeridoos, using the rocks as drums and using a leaf to whistle (like in Skippy, too bad it doesnt actually work).
08.11.2008 - 09:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dark Cornatus on 08.11.2008 at 09:52

Here in Australia, we should create 'outback metal', and incorperate didgeridoos, using the rocks as drums and using a leaf to whistle (like in Skippy, too bad it doesnt actually work).

But if Australian band play and sing how vikings go to valhalla its weird too, same South African band sing about slavic gods, sounds weird too
----

apos;'
[image]
08.11.2008 - 10:47
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Voted Turisas, they are the only folk metal band I can listen to for extended periods of time without growing bored.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
08.11.2008 - 11:59
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by Bad English on 08.11.2008 at 09:53

Written by Dark Cornatus on 08.11.2008 at 09:52

But if Australian band play and sing how vikings go to valhalla its weird too, same South African band sing about slavic gods, sounds weird too

Yes thats true.
European history is quite exciting, compared to other cultures which are not as interesting.
08.11.2008 - 12:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Quote:
Written by Dark Cornatus on 08.11.2008 at 11:59

Yes thats true.
European history is quite exciting, compared to other cultures which are not as interesting.

Its roots of civilisation also asia and part of Africa, but when Islam came thay lost it, so only Europa remains, others are Europiean colonies and white man live so Folk metal use themes from 12 century or eralyer, but we can talk about new world from 16th
----

apos;'
[image]
09.11.2008 - 04:46
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
Agalloch, my true love in this world amazing band, i honestly thing they have never done bad material, their music is just absolutely wonderful...an eay choice for me
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
11.11.2008 - 11:23
DanielViking

I like lots of them... this one is tough altough i think Korpiklaani
19.11.2008 - 00:20
Hugoj33

In my opinion Agalloch is the best band, but they can't be compared with the other bands on the list. Most of them are north folk that's very different from Agalloch's folk...
Agalloch it's a "different" band, just like Opeth...

Gotta choose Moonsorrow:thumbup:
19.11.2008 - 02:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hugoj33 on 19.11.2008 at 00:20

In my opinion Agalloch is the best band, but they can't be compared with the other bands on the list. Most of them are north folk that's very different from Agalloch's folk...
Agalloch it's a "different" band, just like Opeth...

Gotta choose Moonsorrow:thumbup:

because Aggaloch come sfrom diferent country how ''noirdic'' bands
----

apos;'
[image]
19.11.2008 - 03:20
Hugoj33

North ... nordic jeje the same...
19.11.2008 - 11:54
Eeric
Account deleted
Elvenking is the only "folk" band I like. Other folk bands are boring
19.11.2008 - 21:18
PM
Hail Lusitânia
My favourite is Korpiklaani, simply because it's folk music with some metal, and not metal with some folk...
----
PM is a pink elephant, and can be found at the bamboo forests of Greenland...
19.11.2008 - 23:24
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by PM on 19.11.2008 at 21:18

My favourite is Korpiklaani, simply because it's folk music with some metal, and not metal with some folk...

Yeah, that's what makes Korpiklaani unique.
----
21.11.2008 - 05:19
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Mmm don't know, every band here is great, but my vote is for Turisas, great music indeed, makes me feel epic jeje, but hey, where is Orphaned Land? that kind of folke deserves to be mentioned, also Týr, man, I always think that this guys are really underrated.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
21.11.2008 - 12:51
benvolent

Written by Daggon on 21.11.2008 at 05:19

Týr, man, I always think that this guys are really underrated.

I'm not really into Folk Metal, but I also miss Tyr in this list, as they are a great band - and definitely make Folk Metal!
Also saw Finntroll and Korpiklaani on a festival this summer, and they are quite funny and enjoyful live, but I would never buy a record of them. I prefer this epic sound of Tyr - and Heri Joensen's voice is brilliant! We have this term in german: 'Heldentenor' - voice of a hero (concerning opera), which fits perfectly to him.
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
21.11.2008 - 19:53
Metalbound7

1.-Turisas, can't wait for their 3rd album!
2.- Ensiferum
3.- Elvenking

Finntroll is great too but i hate the fact i can't understand the lyrics
23.11.2008 - 01:07
benvolent

By the way: I also miss Skyforger, which do quite special stuff, with all these ancient warchants and weird instruments.. well, ok, thats not so special in the folk-scene, but I just like them.

Concerning Windir: I admit that this is good music, but I really can't stand its synth-sound (+ drumcomputer? baaaad thing!). Or is that just the bad mp3-quality of the tracks of his homepage?!
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles