Metal Storm logo
The best Folk Metal band

Original post

Posted by MétalNoir, 27.07.2008 - 06:18
I recently got interested in Folk Metal and I like it more an more. At first, I thought Finntroll was about the only Folk Metal band and that it was a marginal and widely unknown genre, but I soon realized Folk Metal bands are many, hailing from a lot of countries, ready to sing or scream the legends of their homeland. I only know half the bands I mentioned above and I'd like you to tell me which one you like the most and help me separating original and innovating ones from tasteless copycats...

Poll

Which Folk Metal band do you prefer?

Ensiferum
Aggalloch
Moonsorrow
Korpiklaani
Eqilibrium
Finntroll
Eluveitie
Turisas
Elvenking

Total votes: 427
03.12.2009 - 14:20
Angelic Storm
Melodious
No Skyclad?! For shame, they were the original folk metal band!

They are my choice.
15.12.2009 - 03:59
Gobobbles
Account deleted
Written by ItalktotheWind on 03.12.2009 at 10:15

Oh and Eluveitie is highly overrated. Celtic Gothenburg... so practically In Flames meets Braveheart, whoopdee-freakin-doo.

Eluveitie is not overrated, imho they do really kick ass.

I'm not positive Agalloch should really be on this list, but because they are and they are my favorite band of all genres...I went with them.
23.12.2009 - 17:10
Bloodsong

Primordial ?
Heidevolk ?
Vintersorg ?
03.02.2010 - 14:13
Scourge

BEST folk metal band is T U R I S A S!!!!

Far beyond the sea and distant lands
Came men with thirty ships
Had wanted to reach the Neva by night
But the weather was not on their side

And as the wind grew stronger and stronger
The rain ran down our cheeks
The bow was turned towards Gardar
The sail flew up again

Holmgard and beyond
That's where the winds will us guide
For fame and for gold
Set sail for those lands unknown

Best song
----
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and bitter...
09.02.2010 - 00:20
Epic Heathen

I voted Korpiklaani Question, though: Does anybody know of any Welsh folk metal bands?
----
With the power of ale - He could not fail

Sail into battle, glory and metal
11.02.2010 - 05:12
BattleHamster

I voted Ensiferum because they're the best of the listed bands, but Skyclad is the best folk metal band.
11.02.2010 - 16:25
Winterthrone

I voted for Ensiferum cause they are the best listed here IMO....But where the hell is Arkona, Skyclad, Vintersorg, Primordial, Falkenbach, Einherjer, Windir...etc. I would have voted for Arkona, cause they are the best Folk Metal band that I know!
14.02.2010 - 04:24
His Eminence
Account deleted
Skyclad would be my choice if they were on the poll. From the list provided, I would choose Ensiferum or Equilibrium.
22.02.2010 - 14:06
psaren

Ensiferum is the best
25.02.2010 - 02:18
In_tallica

Why is not vintersorg an option?:cry:
02.03.2010 - 21:53
Ankh Amen
Account deleted
Written by Bloodsong on 23.12.2009 at 17:10

Primordial ?
Heidevolk ?
Vintersorg ?

Tuatha De Danann?
Whispered?
Dalriada?
Orphaned Land?
Skiltron?
Cruachan?

Eluveitie, Elvenking and Ensiferum lead the field.
03.03.2010 - 20:03
Bloodsong

Your opinion, your thinking ! Except Orphaned Land the bands you're talking about cannot be compared in notoriety with Primordial and Vintersorg. You're right for Heidevolk.
I'm not sure Elvenking can be called leader.
04.03.2010 - 03:46
Endoftherainbow

Ensiferum but I don't like anything really from the Petri era. So I have to say that currently Finntroll or Moonsorrow is the best folk metal band around.
12.03.2010 - 16:41
Ankh Amen
Account deleted
Written by Bloodsong on 03.03.2010 at 20:03

Your opinion, your thinking ! Except Orphaned Land the bands you're talking about cannot be compared in notoriety with Primordial and Vintersorg. ... I'm not sure Elvenking can be called leader.

Everyone has his favs. I think these 3 bands are the best on this - very short - list.
Why Turisas and Finntroll are on the list but Tuatha De Danann (or Primordial) not? Just because the guy who posted this topic has his own opinion and thinking too. As you as well.
I just wanted to show how much talented bands in the scene there are. (Maybe a metalhead who doesnt know the bands I wrote gives them a chance and listens to their music. This is a reason why this site exists, right?)
29.03.2010 - 20:38
Bloodsong

Totally right !
02.04.2010 - 12:00
JohnWayneGacy666

The best folk metal band is Alestorm from scotland pirate metal arggh good stuff to see fellow murderers and clowns
13.06.2010 - 23:23
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Guest on 12.03.2010 at 16:41

Written by Bloodsong on 03.03.2010 at 20:03

Your opinion, your thinking ! Except Orphaned Land the bands you're talking about cannot be compared in notoriety with Primordial and Vintersorg. ... I'm not sure Elvenking can be called leader.

Everyone has his favs. I think these 3 bands are the best on this - very short - list.
Why Turisas and Finntroll are on the list but Tuatha De Danann (or Primordial) not? Just because the guy who posted this topic has his own opinion and thinking too. As you as well.
I just wanted to show how much talented bands in the scene there are. (Maybe a metalhead who doesnt know the bands I wrote gives them a chance and listens to their music. This is a reason why this site exists, right?)

I'm the one who posted this poll in the first place and I didn't choose these bands because they were my favs, they simply were the top most popular in the MS popularity index. Now that I have listened a lot to Folk metal, my list would be very different from this one, including Orphaned Land and Dalriada, for example.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
17.06.2010 - 16:28
Death Knight

From the list my fav is Korpiklaani.
28.06.2010 - 00:37
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Moonsorrow got my vote, but really not surprised to see Ensiferum top the list. However i was a bit surprised that Korpiklaani scored high, and Elvenking so low.
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
28.06.2010 - 06:15
whatsacow

Ahhhh.... Finntroll, where would i be without you?
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
02.07.2010 - 23:10
Ankh Amen
Account deleted
Written by MétalNoir on 13.06.2010 at 23:23

I'm the one who posted this poll in the first place and I didn't choose these bands because they were my favs, they simply were the top most popular in the MS popularity index. Now that I have listened a lot to Folk metal, my list would be very different from this one, including Orphaned Land and Dalriada, for example.

I see. Incidentally, this succession shows the estimated MS index. You should post a topic with your own list too.
17.07.2010 - 23:04
@gent_-_orange

Suprised that skyclad isnt on this list, but since they arent im gonna go with finntroll.

Edit: Changed my mind and voted for Agalloch... I actually hate most folk metal now.
17.07.2010 - 23:08
Wyrd

My vote goes to Elvenking. I was close to voting on Ensiferum. But I think Elvenking is really the best Folk metal bands on this list.
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
17.07.2010 - 23:27
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by @gent_-_orange on 17.07.2010 at 23:04

Suprised that skyclad isnt on this list, but since they arent im gonna go with finntroll.

There's another poll for old school folkmetallers
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
18.07.2010 - 01:49
@gent_-_orange

Written by MétalNoir on 17.07.2010 at 23:27

Written by @gent_-_orange on 17.07.2010 at 23:04

There's another poll for old school folkmetallers

Oh i see thank you
19.08.2010 - 08:53
Skøllgrim
Northern
Having listened to agalloch, my vote would without doubt go to those guys, they are keeping it interesting.
21.08.2010 - 22:09
Necrodamus

I voted Finntroll. They are the epitome of what I want my folk metal to sound like, and they kick so much ass.
25.08.2010 - 00:52
Kratos

I would have to go with Ensiferum. All other folk metal bands sound very irritating and boring (intstramental wise). But I have always enjoyed Ensiferum.
25.08.2010 - 01:17
?Bodomchild?

There are 2 of my favs bands (Ensiferum and Korpiklaani) i vote for Korpiklaani cuz is more Folkie than Ensiferum imo, and the topic is about "folk" bands, but yhere are a lot of amazing folk bands, for now i keep with Korpiklaani
----
asd
11.09.2010 - 10:21
Gurth Bennas

I love ensiferum. It's a great band. I like turisas too but not as much as ensiferum.
----
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

(One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)