Metal Storm logo
The best Folk Metal band

Original post

Posted by MétalNoir, 27.07.2008 - 06:18
I recently got interested in Folk Metal and I like it more an more. At first, I thought Finntroll was about the only Folk Metal band and that it was a marginal and widely unknown genre, but I soon realized Folk Metal bands are many, hailing from a lot of countries, ready to sing or scream the legends of their homeland. I only know half the bands I mentioned above and I'd like you to tell me which one you like the most and help me separating original and innovating ones from tasteless copycats...

Poll

Which Folk Metal band do you prefer?

Ensiferum
Aggalloch
Moonsorrow
Korpiklaani
Eqilibrium
Finntroll
Eluveitie
Turisas
Elvenking

Total votes: 426
11.09.2010 - 11:06
akvan

Turisas is my love
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
11.09.2010 - 12:23
YonTroper

Oh come on, no option for Skyclad or at least an "Other" button? Seems a bit of a glaring oversight, considering how influential (and good) they were...

Out of these choices, I guess Moonsorrow.
----
I need a signature. Dunno what to write.
11.09.2010 - 14:46
Reza
Account deleted
My fav bands are Ensiferum and Eluveitie but I voted for Ensiferum because I like their music more than Eluveitie.
11.09.2010 - 17:04
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
I love female vocals, so Eluveitie gets my vote.
12.09.2010 - 01:20
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Agalloch has my vote. "The Mantle" is pure genius and "Falling Snow" might be my favorite song ever.
----
rekt
14.09.2010 - 03:39
NocturnalPoetry

Eluveitie is just... orgasmic. Love them! So good live, and Chrigel's voice is so powerful and raw.
I like most of the other bands as well, but they just do it for me.
----
Pervading every single nook of existence
19.11.2010 - 14:38
Yavanna

I voted on Korpiklaani, but all of them all are great.
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
19.11.2010 - 18:25
Luneth
Account deleted
Where's Battlelore and Falconer?
03.12.2010 - 08:47
tweetbombardier

I went through a period for several months where I listened to Ensiferum's "Victory Song" several times a day. It gets me so amazingly pumped. And it's the best track for when you're running. It starts off slow, but when it kicks in, I want to raise my imaginary sword in the air, scream my head off and run until my heart explodes.
07.12.2010 - 06:35
Susan
Smeghead
Turisas is the best live band I've ever seen. Their albums are amazing, and would be a contender for my vote on their own, but factoring in the band's live performance they're my top choice.

Equilibrium is epic as hell. Especially Sagas, and all the albums. Never seen them live, sadly.

As of right now Ensiferum is at the top of the voting and that makes sense, they're amazing, and classic. All worthy albums and staples of the genre.

Of the bands not in your list I love Tyr! Also epic, and totally unique. Much more progressive than many typical folk/viking bands, darker and steady in tempo. Their harmonies twist your ear and hang on tight. They have some upbeat fun songs, too, which compliment their usually more brooding sound.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
08.12.2010 - 00:18
Luneth
Account deleted
Elvenking. Because they're good and no one will vote for them because only popular bands get votes
08.12.2010 - 19:04
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 08.12.2010 at 00:18

Elvenking. Because they're good and no one will vote for them because only popular bands get votes

well popular is something abstract when talking about folk metal I believe we vote for what we think is the best not the most popular
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
08.12.2010 - 20:03
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 08.12.2010 at 19:04

well popular is something abstract when talking about folk metal I believe we vote for what we think is the best not the most popular

If you say so
14.12.2010 - 21:50
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
All of these are great and unique bands. None of these guys are copycatting eachother, there all fairly different. Its simply what style you prefer.

I personally chose Ensiferum because i think they personify Folk Metal the best.
While other bands like Turisas are more "Battle Folk Metal", Eluveitie "Celtic Folk Metal", Moonsorrow/Finntroll "Blackened Folk Metal" and so on.

They are all Folk Metal but still are all very unique. I wouldnt say any are better/worse than the next when speaking of originality.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
21.12.2010 - 17:50
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by AngelofDeth on 14.12.2010 at 21:50

All of these are great and unique bands. None of these guys are copycatting eachother, there all fairly different. Its simply what style you prefer.

I personally chose Ensiferum because i think they personify Folk Metal the best.
While other bands like Turisas are more "Battle Folk Metal", Eluveitie "Celtic Folk Metal", Moonsorrow/Finntroll "Blackened Folk Metal" and so on.

They are all Folk Metal but still are all very unique. I wouldnt say any are better/worse than the next when speaking of originality.

Very original indeed but I still go for the trolls
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
26.04.2011 - 02:03
chillerztbag

Agalloch, they have great song writing, and they incorporate the folk so well with the black metal
26.04.2011 - 04:07
Yasmine

Outta these I like Ensiferum and Turisas the best, the only one I really really don't like is Agalloch. Off the list I love Nomans Land and Forefather as well.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
26.04.2011 - 05:43
Smokeybravo

Falconer is my favorite, but they aren't on the list so I voted for Elvenking.
28.04.2011 - 07:19
Grum

Equilibrium! But really, I like all these bands (except Agalloch and Elvenking, whom i've never heard )
01.06.2011 - 04:46
vikingblood185

I voted equilibrium, because they have some epic songs that i cant stop listened to, but its so hard to pick favorites, because i love ensiferum, but every folk metal band has at least one epic song
02.06.2011 - 19:32
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Windir

Although I do love the new Trollfest cd.
02.06.2011 - 19:37
Luneth
Account deleted
Agalloch have the classic 'pale folklore', one of the greatest folk albums in my opinion, so they get my vote.
03.06.2011 - 03:12
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Written by tea[m]ster on 12.09.2010 at 01:20

Agalloch has my vote. "The Mantle" is pure genius and "Falling Snow" might be my favorite song ever.

The exact same reason. However, I prefer Ashes Against The Grain to The Mantle and Limbs is my fave Agalloch song, although Falling Snow is extremely very good (Especially the intro). As for the bands, Ensiferum come close, but Agalloch is not only my favorite folk metal band, they are my second favorite band of all time, and I really think they are the best folk dudes out there. Nobody actually uses acoustic guitars the way they do.
08.06.2011 - 15:26
Metal_4Ever

I don't listen to Folk Metal a lot... But I think Agalloch is THE BEST
28.07.2011 - 02:22
Aw Yiss

Ensiferum's first 2 albums are awesome. After Jari departed, the latter 2 are 'meh'. Eluveitie is also awesome, extraordinary instruments such as pipes and hurdy-gurdy makes them very enjoyable to listen. I gave my vote to Ensiferum because their first 2 albums are REALLY awesome (Token of Time, Guardians of Fate, Little Dreamer, Abandoned, Treacherous Gods, Iron, Into Battle, LAI LAI HEI are some excellent songs from them) and also they still kick ass live
28.07.2011 - 04:17
Steelreaper

Moonsorrow followed by Thyrfing for me. I love Blackened folk. I think it is the best form of Blackened Metal.
----
"I see the world's bones, I see the world dead" Max Cavalera
17.08.2011 - 18:29
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Metal_4Ever on 08.06.2011 at 15:26

I don't listen to Folk Metal a lot... But I think Agalloch is THE BEST

I agree with you for the first time
Ensiferum is great, as is Windir, but Agalloch are the undisputed masters of folk metal.
22.08.2011 - 22:17
GammaRayForever

I agree. Elvenking is the only Folk Metal band that I really like, though Korpiklaani, Finntroll, Skyclad, Alestorm and Heidevolk are all good bands.
24.08.2011 - 00:58
Hellbrann

I think Elvenking are terribly underrated. They are always overshadowed by the Scandinavian bands even though they write great songs. Trows Kind being my prime example. But Finntroll gets my vote for being the band that introduced me to folk metal and more extreme metal in general.
----
Druantia | Folk metal
24.08.2011 - 10:27
Lioncourt

Korpiklaani art the only band I would follow into the gates of Hades.
----

Think twice before you buy furr! http://www.strasbourgcurieux.com/fourrure/