Metal Storm logo
Atheist - Writing New Material

Atheist has been writing new material as of late, notable because the group hasn't released a studio album since 1993. Here's a statement from frontman Kelly Shaefer:

"You asked for it, the first new Atheist material in 15 years has risen to the surface and it was truly amazing, much better than we could have expected! We ended up with a bit over 3 minutes of truly Atheist, brutal, fast as hell, technical metal madness!

...we also intend on celebrating the 20th anniversary of Piece Of Time release with a bunch of shows in 2009 in Europe and the USA live DVD and now a brand new set of Atheist's metal puzzles for your confusing enjoyment of course. We will keep you posted on all of the details as they happen. Hold on to your brains fuckers!"

Further information about the new Atheist album can be seen here.

Source: myspace.com
Band profile: Atheist
Posted: 31.07.2008 by abattoir

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 11   Visited by: 92 users
31.07.2008 - 06:21
Metal_Militia

//Some of the best news ive heard in a very very long time when it comes to music. All hail the technical death metal kings Atheist. Cant wait for this new album//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

31.07.2008 - 07:53
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
let the tech death heads drool...
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
31.07.2008 - 13:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Noooooooooooooooo, their legacy will be tainted. And all this just a year after Kelly Schaeffer said the following when I interviewed him:

On the internet rumours abound that you guys are gonna go record again ?

Kelly: No.
Tony: Maybe, maybe, maybe?
Kelly: No, no, no. No, stop that shit now.
Marcel: Kelly, like you said in the liner notes on the re-release of Unquestionable Presence: I believe that tension is what caused us to write this kind of music?
Kelly: Well, I think it would be hard to recreate that tension and the amount of time that it took for us to write. We used to play six nights a week and used to have a hundred people in front of us. Our friends would come to our rehearsal spot. And we would just be like? and that's how we wrote. It was sweltering hot, like a hundred degrees, in our warehouse every night where we would practice. The reason why I brought up Borivoj was when we started writing technical songs and we sent it to Borivoj he was like: Wow, that's really really different. So then we almost started writing just to try to outdo each song. Not knowing ever that we would be here 20 years later. We always loved Rush, Neil Peart and people like that. We just really wanted to kind of just pay tribute in the metal world and a lot of bands I think couldn't play intricate I think very well. Everybody was very basic, very simple, and the drummers were like: rrrrrr and we thought it needs finesse, it needs something else in order for metal to continue for twenty years. I always believe that it's important for everybody to really learn how to play otherwise this kind of music is just gonna fade away into obscurity and I am so glad that bands like Meshuggah and all these guys have come on and really just broadened the horizons of metal. And now it's fucking wide open now.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.07.2008 - 14:25
Tod_Engel

It's nice to see that they have changed their mind's about it. I think Kelly Shaefer and Steve Flynn can come up with some surprising stuff. I believe in them!
31.07.2008 - 14:35
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.07.2008 at 13:54

Noooooooooooooooo, their legacy will be tainted. And all this just a year after Kelly Schaeffer said the following when I interviewed him:
?

Hahah yeah, I know, but I totally saw this coming (as of, month ago or so) when they said (Schaeffer and Flynn I think) they jammed a little bit and it was "pure Atheist", lol, it was clear what is going to happen... But who knows, we'll see, right??
----
31.07.2008 - 22:05
Symmachus

I'm looking forward to this album releasing. I am updating wikipedia about this currently.
01.08.2008 - 12:48
Stigma
Account deleted
Interesting indeed, we'll see
01.08.2008 - 21:55
Elio
Red Nightmare
after cynic new album...some other good news for jazz death metal
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
01.08.2008 - 22:38
ylside

Weird.. after what they said in the aformentioned interview !
02.08.2008 - 02:15
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.07.2008 at 13:54

Yeah I figure Kelly got high and forgot what he said xD
04.08.2008 - 21:34
Markku
Account deleted
Omg omg, has Atheist sold its soul? No no, just kidding. I´m glad their writing new stuff, what he said about not want to mess the legacy seemed a bit silly. Its dead aobvious its not the same band is it was back in 1993, and the name is just a name.

Hits total: 6771 | This month: 29