02. Me
03. The Master Sleeps
04. Swatting At Flies
05. No Place For Disgrace
06. Doomsday For The Deceiver
07. Hard On You
08. Fork Boy
09. Never To Reveal

It's good to have some news about Flotsam & Jetsam, a band which clearly deserves more recognition and success. Back in the 80's when Thrash Metal has started to become famous, Flotsam And Jetsam was popular, sure it wasn't Anthrax or Metallica but it was a respected band and God know why, they've just disappeared of the spirit of the metalheads... They've always been active but this is the release of the good "Dreams Of Death" which has led them again to the road of the European venues where they've recorded their last DVD "Once In A Deadtime".

The good thing with "Once In A Deathtime" is that the DVD features, in general old songs of Flotsam & Jetsam. That's cool because it's a good way to discover great tracks like "Hammerhead" (recorded in 1986) or "The Master Sleeps". It's just a bit sad that we don't have any song of "Dreams Of Death which is a really good album? But at least the guys are really good, active on stage and happy to be there apparently and when I see their energy I have the feeling that Flotsam & Jetsam is maybe leaving is second live right now. We still have to wait a new album and see if they'll confirm our last hopes but if they're able to write great songs, I'm sure that they will maybe come back at the top of the Thrash Metal scene. If you're doubtful, have a look at this DVD and you'll see that, without being the best Thrash band, Flotsam & Jetsam remains one of the great combos of the Thrash Metal history.

Even if the video is one more time with Metal Mind really good, this time the sound is a bit average. Not horrible but not perfectly mixed and it's quite hard to hear the audience sometime. It's a bit disturbing but it's ok all in all. Also the DVD is really simple and only features in Interview of Craig Nielsen and Ed Carlson as a bonus which is a bit poor of course. "Once In A Deathtime" features a good concert but it's really simple and poor DVD, we can find better ones in my opinion.

If you want to listen to good melodic Thrash or want to discover what Flotsam & Jetsam is, "Once In A Deathtime" is highly recommended. This is not the perfect DVD as you know but it's a really pleasant concert and it's good to see this band live. We're not in front of the DVD of the year but if you're looking for good Thrash, have a look on this DVD and you can be sure that you'll see a nice show.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written by Jeff | 28.07.2008

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 50 users
02.08.2008 - 11:18
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
newsted needs to comeback and make these dudes put out a good album instead of dvds
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.

Hits total: 8208 | This month: 10