Metal Storm logo
South African Metal Scene

Original post

Posted by Stuart, 04.08.2008 - 02:39
Every time I visit South Africa, which is about once a year, I am surprised all over again by the strength of the metal scene in the country.

What I find even more surprising though is that none of these bands seem to make it big in the international metal scene. There have been plenty of great South African metal bands over the years, you would think at least one would have done something. I wonder if this is because the largest metal market is Europe/America and that these markets are very un-accepting of vastly foreign metal imports. But then again even Australia has had one or two bands who've made it.

Nevertheless the local scene is currently experiencing massive growth (probably because the country is 20 years behind the rest of the world), I thought I'd like to hear some other people's opinions so I've put below some Myspace Links to some of the bigger SA bands from a wide variety of metal genres in no particular order. Let us know what you think.

http://www.myspace.com/noctivian
http://www.myspace.com/warthaneband
http://www.myspace.com/sanguinariusblackmetal
http://www.myspace.com/aoa666
http://www.myspace.com/betraytheemissary
http://www.myspace.com/mindassaulttheband
http://www.myspace.com/sacrifistband
http://www.myspace.com/semyazahband
http://www.myspace.com/insek
http://www.myspace.com/misericord
14.02.2009 - 14:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 14.02.2009 at 13:57

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.02.2009 at 13:55

Written by Guest on 14.02.2009 at 13:52

Written by Throne Dweller on 14.02.2009 at 08:47

I was hoping to find a new meaning for the term 'black' metal. Seriously, I've never seen any negros in any metal bands that aren't nu-metal. [I don't delve into Nu-metal, friends, etc.]

Blasphemy and Mystifier. Also Judas Priest had a black drummer at one point in their career.

Metallica has a balck guitarist on the original version of Hit The Lights on Metal Massacre 1 as well

Didn't know that.

Lloyd Grant (later of Defcon) is the guitarist on the original version there. When Metal Massacre 1 was re-released they re-recorded the song with Mustain on guitar.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.02.2009 - 19:34
Stuart
MiseryKing

I was hoping to find a new meaning for the term 'black' metal. Seriously, I've never seen any negros in any metal bands that aren't nu-metal. [I don't delve into Nu-metal, friends, etc.]

http://www.myspace.com/wrust
22.03.2010 - 21:08
Metalyptica

As a South African metalhead myself, I can see a massive BOOM in the metalscene.

There are about 150 metal bands in total, of which just under 110 are still active. SA Metal include Death(most popular), Power, Thrash, Black, Grunge and Industrial. Several other genres too, though only a handful each.

I'm looking forward to start my own Metal FM station in mid-2010.

Metal is alive and well here. And if you don't believe what I'm typing, come to SA and see for yourself.
----
Heavy-Peace-Metal-Rocker-Hippie. That's what I am. Shut up. Don't judge me asshole...
23.03.2010 - 22:18
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Metalyptica on 22.03.2010 at 21:08

As a South African metalhead myself, I can see a massive BOOM in the metalscene.

There are about 150 metal bands in total, of which just under 110 are still active. SA Metal include Death(most popular), Power, Thrash, Black, Grunge and Industrial. Several other genres too, though only a handful each.

I'm looking forward to start my own Metal FM station in mid-2010.

Metal is alive and well here. And if you don't believe what I'm typing, come to SA and see for yourself.

Im already here and I dont believe you. Perhaps its better in Jo'burg, here in Cape Town its shockingly average.
23.03.2010 - 23:48
Metalyptica

It depends where in Cape Town you are. If you go to Goodwood, Bothasig and Brackenfell you'll find several metalbased houseparties over weekends. In Bellville you'll find a metalclub and one in Observatory.

Another place is Cheetahs in Brackenfell, though they only do live metal gigs inbetween the rock ones.
There's Phoenix, for goths mostly.
There's also a new metal/goth club opening soon in Goodwood, Voortrekker Road and another one year-end in the industrial area of
Durbanville.

The city, cbd itself is quite crappy, yes. The reason why I never go to Long Street. Though there is Mercury Lounge which also holds metal gigs, but unfortunately they have their crap commercial nights too.

If you join our circle of heads on fb, we can show you around? All depends on where you go.

And hold the thought, metal is booming seemingly more than a couple of years back.. 5yrs ago you didnt get this number of metal clubs. See you around m/
----
Heavy-Peace-Metal-Rocker-Hippie. That's what I am. Shut up. Don't judge me asshole...
23.03.2010 - 23:56
Metalyptica

Gandalfs is the alternative in Observatory and I also forgot to say, I might be corrected on 1 of the new places' location, the Dbnville Industria one.
----
24.03.2010 - 18:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Metalyptica on 23.03.2010 at 23:48

The city, cbd itself is quite crappy, yes. The reason why I never go to Long Street. Though there is Mercury Lounge which also holds metal gigs, but unfortunately they have their crap commercial nights too.

When I was over in Cape Town January 2001 The Purple Turtle played loads of metal. Don't knwo what it is like there now, though.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.03.2010 - 12:55
Valaskjalf
Account deleted

It depends where in Cape Town you are. If you go to Goodwood, Bothasig and Brackenfell you'll find several metalbased houseparties over weekends. In Bellville you'll find a metalclub and one in Observatory.

Another place is Cheetahs in Brackenfell, though they only do live metal gigs inbetween the rock ones.
There's Phoenix, for goths mostly.
There's also a new metal/goth club opening soon in Goodwood, Voortrekker Road and another one year-end in the industrial area of
Durbanville.

If you join our circle of heads on fb, we can show you around? All depends on where you go.

And hold the thought, metal is booming seemingly more than a couple of years back.. 5yrs ago you didnt get this number of metal clubs. See you around m/

Well I live in Bellville and I suppose the club youre talking about is Eye of Horus. Apart from the fact that they recently closed down I lost my interest in them a while ago since they hardly play any "metal". I know this because I went to ask the owner to play some Hypocrisy (which I dont really consider extreme at all) and his words were "Sorry man we dont play blackmetal(!??) and we have instructions to keep people on the dance floor." Theres a lot wrong with that sentence and you can take your pick what im referring to lol Needless to say I went back to my table to finish my drink and left after they played "Highway to Hell" 3 times in a row.

The place in Durvanville Industria ur referring to is probably Muzone....its sort of like Assembly in Ctn and actually has a decent sound setup for live bands. The problem is they also dont play any metal. When I was there this weird hippy band and a Cranberries cover band were performing - I havent made the effort to go there again....perhaps that has changed recently.

Strangely enough the best local show Ive ever been to was last week at Assembly with "Lark" playing their final show. Theyre not metal at all, its a female fronted electronic band but FUCK theyre good. It actually rivalled some of the metal bands I saw in Europe.
27.03.2010 - 13:03
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.03.2010 at 18:40

When I was over in Cape Town January 2001 The Purple Turtle played loads of metal. Don't knwo what it is like there now, though.

Yeah I havent been there in YEARS. I think at some point in time it started going through a bit of a mellow indie phase and electro goth whatever its called. We stopped going around 2002/2003 and from what I know there hasnt been much metal going on in Ctn itself for a while. Cape Town is very much trend-oriented. You always find one-man soft rock gigs or strange experimental bands performing and they come and go only to be replaced by more. Its more toward the Northern subburbs where the metal people live....most of my friends are from the Bellville/Durbanville area which is about 20km from Cape Town. A bit of useless info there for you
29.03.2010 - 01:50
soadbyob
Account deleted
Didnt relize there was one, defenitly got to check this out
29.03.2010 - 21:56
Metalyptica

I guess that must have been the early days of Eye of Horus.. Because from the time my friends and I started hanging out there in early 2009, they played loads from black to death to even power metal. If I can list some up from those 3 genres(and other) for you: burzum, cradle, ulver, hammerfall, deicide, c.o.b, lamb of god, arcturus, pantera, metallica, korn, behemoth, gnr, k.o.b.u.s, devildriver, mors principium, gorgoroth, opeth, nirvana, and a shitload more than that.

But I remember being told they started out way different in 2008.

The one that will be opening in dbnville industria is Eye of Horus (relocating). Dont expect it to happen in next month though.

And you're right, northern subs rule in comparison to the rest of Cpt.

But dude, dont you worry.. There's the fm station coming...... sooner than I thought! Lol we're so gonna fuck the ears off all the hiphopping fags around us.

YEEEAAHH!
----
20.04.2010 - 23:16
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie

http://www.myspace.com/crackdust

There's also Storm in Madagascar that I know of but they're more rocky and aren't good at all.
20.04.2010 - 23:17
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Also, this has been a great thread. I'm doin a report on Metal in Southern Africa and this has been damn helpful.
18.06.2010 - 23:28
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Marcus on 20.04.2010 at 23:17

Also, this has been a great thread. I'm doin a report on Metal in Southern Africa and this has been damn helpful.

why on earth are you doing a report on metal in southern africa?
18.06.2010 - 23:48
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by Stuart on 18.06.2010 at 23:28

Written by Marcus on 20.04.2010 at 23:17

why on earth are you doing a report on metal in southern africa?

I took a modern African history class last semester and had to do a final project on something in Africa, figured i'd do it on something interesting; metal.
18.06.2010 - 23:53
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Imagine South African metal bands, with vuvuzelas
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
19.06.2010 - 01:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I think only music what tahy playing there is vuvuzelas only lOL
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing