Metal Storm logo
South African Metal Scene

04.08.2008 - 02:39
Stuart
MiseryKing
Every time I visit South Africa, which is about once a year, I am surprised all over again by the strength of the metal scene in the country.

What I find even more surprising though is that none of these bands seem to make it big in the international metal scene. There have been plenty of great South African metal bands over the years, you would think at least one would have done something. I wonder if this is because the largest metal market is Europe/America and that these markets are very un-accepting of vastly foreign metal imports. But then again even Australia has had one or two bands who've made it.

Nevertheless the local scene is currently experiencing massive growth (probably because the country is 20 years behind the rest of the world), I thought I'd like to hear some other people's opinions so I've put below some Myspace Links to some of the bigger SA bands from a wide variety of metal genres in no particular order. Let us know what you think.

http://www.myspace.com/noctivian
http://www.myspace.com/warthaneband
http://www.myspace.com/sanguinariusblackmetal
http://www.myspace.com/aoa666
http://www.myspace.com/betraytheemissary
http://www.myspace.com/mindassaulttheband
http://www.myspace.com/sacrifistband
http://www.myspace.com/semyazahband
http://www.myspace.com/insek
http://www.myspace.com/misericord
04.08.2008 - 03:23
ß
Problem?
For the most part I highly enjoyed all the bands. There were probably only 2 bands i didn't like much there. It's a nice change to listen to metal from countries where you wouldn't expect there to be much of a scene at all. Thanks for sharing it with us .
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
04.08.2008 - 12:20
mrkh8er
Account deleted
AGRO is the best band I've heard from the South African scene. I have their albums "Eyes", "The Tree" and "Forthcoming".
Great prog metal band that also incorporates elements of power and thrash metal.
Epic storytelling themes and a superb vocalist.
04.08.2008 - 12:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Stuart on 04.08.2008 at 02:39

Every time I visit South Africa, which is about once a year, I am surprised all over again by the strength of the metal scene in the country.

What I find even more surprising though is that none of these bands seem to make it big in the international metal scene.

Well, Tribe After Tribe made it relatively big in the alternaitve metal scene.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.08.2008 - 22:24
Tórnach
Account deleted
I hate the metal scene in South Africa. Finding someone who likes the kinda metal I'm into is incredibly hard. I've only got 2 people, one of them I met on MS. Everyone is into Nu Metal and emo 'metal'. I can't stand that.

But I think there's a lotta room for expansion in the metal scene here, still.

A lot of the metal bands here don't make effort to go international, really.
04.08.2008 - 22:38
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Guest on 04.08.2008 at 22:24

I hate the metal scene in South Africa. Finding someone who likes the kinda metal I'm into is incredibly hard. I've only got 2 people, one of them I met on MS. Everyone is into Nu Metal and emo 'metal'. I can't stand that.

What a load of utter crap... the metal scene is pretty good in South Africa, I don't know whereabouts you live but in Cape Town and Pretoria, there is really good support for good metal. I can't comment for other areas but I've heard the scene is really strong in Durban too. I suppose it also depends on what circles you keep.... Just look above, there are quite a few good bands, and thats maybe a 1/10 of what's out there.

Written by Guest on 04.08.2008 at 22:24

A lot of the metal bands here don't make effort to go international, really.

Well this can be debated, Agro went to Europe and didn't really do anything with that despite their best efforts. Don't forget Groinchurn who got onto a Dutch label, although I think their attitude was just too "South African" for them to even make it. A few others have done their best too make it overseas, but they just can't seem to pull it off for some reason or other.
05.08.2008 - 00:44
Tórnach
Account deleted
I live in Joburg, people here would rather listen to the ambient gun shots and sirens than metal, and the few guys that are into it end up spending long nights in dodgey clubs in Soweto and other weird places which hardly count for metal joints but rather emo corners. No offense, but in Joburg, it ain't a metal scene, it's angry emo scene.
05.08.2008 - 00:57
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Guest on 05.08.2008 at 00:44

I live in Joburg, people here would rather listen to the ambient gun shots and sirens than metal, and the few guys that are into it end up spending long nights in dodgey clubs in Soweto and other weird places which hardly count for metal joints but rather emo corners. No offense, but in Joburg, it ain't a metal scene, it's angry emo scene.

Really? Emo joints in Soweto? you sure? wow... I never knew that, I'm impressed with emos going into Soweto, I wouldn't... There are a few decent places in Johannesburg. There is The Doors Nightclub in Edenvale (although I haven't been there since 2004 when Entombed played there) and I heard of this place called London Calling which is supposed to be cool, these are the places where the metal scene really revolves around in Johannesburg. But to be honest the metal scene is much smaller in Johannesburg than Pretoria, you should travel up to Pretoria for a night out, there are at least 4 dedicated metal bars/clubs that I can think of and they all have a real community feel. The problem is if you don't know anybody there you have to drive home drunk which can be tricky...

Thats the major downfall of the scene in SA, there are small pockets where it is really strong and the rest is quite barren. the major difference is that the people are alot more dedicated to the darker aspects of metal in SA so you get alot of goth/metal crossover in the scenes, yet the music seems to remain pure and unaffected by this.

Hey don't forget there is quite a few good metal festivals in SA too now, a friend was telling me about one where Carcass was playing and apparently Nile are coming down later in the year, if you ask me those are the signs of a thriving scene. I've seen Sepultura, Soulfly, Entombed and Konkhra in SA.
05.08.2008 - 01:24
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
There's a lot of that melo crap I hate in that list, but I must say that the first two bands are pretty good - Noctivian and Warthane. Insek has a really interesting sound...I still don't know what to think about them.
05.08.2008 - 01:49
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Dangerboner on 05.08.2008 at 01:24

There's a lot of that melo crap I hate in that list, but I must say that the first two bands are pretty good - Noctivian and Warthane. Insek has a really interesting sound...I still don't know what to think about them.

Yeah maybe, I wasn't really trying to put up the most extreme or intense bands up there though, I was trying to put a few bands from different metal genres up there, there are plenty other much more intense bands, but I wasn't looking for SA Extreme Metal Topic though... What I can tell you is AOA are one of the most brutal bands I have ever seen live and I've been to quite a few gigs, the recordings simply don't do them justice, it was poorly produced and lost all of their intensity in the studio, SA production is always shit... actualy maybe thats why no SA bands don't go anywhere, cos they're ALL produced so badly.

Insek, well they're basicaly the remnants of SA's biggest metal export Groinchurn, who I personaly think are one of the most interesting grind bands ever to exist anywhere!

Check 'em out, ignore the electro remix bonus track if you're not into that sort thing, i kinda like what they did with it though. I'm surprised they have that bonus track on their myspace though...

http://www.myspace.com/groinchurn
05.08.2008 - 01:53
ß
Problem?
The only bands I really disliked out of that list were Insek and Sanguinarius other then that I liked the rest.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
05.08.2008 - 16:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I dont know any SA bands but gonna look to some of them
Are there any from 80ties?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.08.2008 - 03:48
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
The SA metalscene sucks....seriously the bands over here are pretty disappointing. I was lucky enough to stay in Europe for 2 years and travelled my ass off to see bands like Wintersun, Children of Bodom, Hyporcisy, Naglfar, Finntroll, Evergrey and some more...and it was such a disappointment when I got back home in 2006 because only then I realised how pathetic the scene here is.

For a few years, especially in Cape Town where I live, every Jack and his friend was into Hardcore but luckily that trend was killed off somewhat. Now everyone is doing metalcore eventhough they listen to Cannibal Corpse, or try death metal but fail miserably mostly because our venues are terrible and theres no money to invest in proper sound.

I hardly go to any shows, because everyone over here gets totally "rockstar" when they're in bands, where bands like Wintersun and Hypocrisy (who have actually reached some global appreciation and make good music) are humble enough to sit with you in a bar and buy you a beer...which is what I experienced in Holland when I spent 4 hours chatting to Kai Hahto of Wintersun and Peter Tagtgren of Hypocrisy and they're very humble people and fantastic individuals who give a shit about their fans - the biggest problem I have about South African bands are that they are so into the whole metal image that they forget to actually write good music.

Noctivian is/was pretty good though, know a couple of guys from the band but last I heard they're pretty much doomed. A friend of mine who is good friends with the guitars played me a song on their Myspace a few months ago and im like "WHAT THE FUUUCK..its seriously good!" That one song, of which the name I forgot, didnt sound like it came out of SA at all reminded me a lot of Dark Funeral actually...very impressive. For the other bands, however, its relatively poor from what Ive seen at gigs etc.

P.S also check out the band War Insane, http://www.myspace.com/thewarinsane, one other cool band in Cape Town, technical Thrash metal and the guitarists look like Kerry King and Dimebag
09.08.2008 - 12:55
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Guest on 09.08.2008 at 03:48

The SA metalscene sucks....seriously the bands over here are pretty disappointing. I was lucky enough to stay in Europe for 2 years and travelled my ass off to see bands like Wintersun, Children of Bodom, Hyporcisy, Naglfar, Finntroll, Evergrey and some more...and it was such a disappointment when I got back home in 2006 because only then I realised how pathetic the scene here is.

For a few years, especially in Cape Town where I live, every Jack and his friend was into Hardcore but luckily that trend was killed off somewhat. Now everyone is doing metalcore eventhough they listen to Cannibal Corpse, or try death metal but fail miserably mostly because our venues are terrible and theres no money to invest in proper sound.

I hardly go to any shows, because everyone over here gets totally "rockstar" when they're in bands, where bands like Wintersun and Hypocrisy (who have actually reached some global appreciation and make good music) are humble enough to sit with you in a bar and buy you a beer...which is what I experienced in Holland when I spent 4 hours chatting to Kai Hahto of Wintersun and Peter Tagtgren of Hypocrisy and they're very humble people and fantastic individuals who give a shit about their fans - the biggest problem I have about South African bands are that they are so into the whole metal image that they forget to actually write good music.

Noctivian is/was pretty good though, know a couple of guys from the band but last I heard they're pretty much doomed. A friend of mine who is good friends with the guitars played me a song on their Myspace a few months ago and im like "WHAT THE FUUUCK..its seriously good!" That one song, of which the name I forgot, didnt sound like it came out of SA at all reminded me a lot of Dark Funeral actually...very impressive. For the other bands, however, its relatively poor from what Ive seen at gigs etc.

P.S also check out the band War Insane, http://www.myspace.com/thewarinsane, one other cool band in Cape Town, technical Thrash metal and the guitarists look like Kerry King and Dimebag

hmmm..... I dunno man, I was under the assumption that the scene was really strong in CT, because there are so many bands that come out from CT, but thinking about it, the CT bands are never as great as JHB/PTA bands. I once lived in CT for a few months, never really went out to see bands there though.

I can't disagree more about the attitude of the bands in SA, the ones I know are very down to earth. But then again maybe thats just the quality of humble Gauteng people as opposed to well... the rest of the country

Musically, there are loads of really great live SA bands that are up there with 80% of touring death metal acts (admittedly I happen to think Hypocrisy are the best gig I have ever been to, so you are comparing some of the very best bands wanting an exact duplication, which is wishful thinking). I always found it was the poor SA recording which let them down not the strength of the live shows.

I have also been to some really good venues in SA and been to some really shitty venues in England, metal bands will always play shitty venues with bad sound, but i have noticed, at least in PTA, that quality of the venues and the attendance is increasing substantially every time I visit as is the quality of the bands.
09.08.2008 - 15:10
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Perhaps i was spoiled since ive seen some of my favourite bands overseas....I must say im not very patriotic at all If i could have my way i would live in Europe as I loved it when I was there and since Im much more into Viking / Folk metal thats not something you would see over here. So yeah i dont care too much for the local metal scene to be honest - and i wont just like it just for the sake of supporting local talent -probably the wrong attitude but im sure if there are bands from here who are worth it they will make it internationally. Theres mane bands who come from obscure countries who get onto decent labels and have good recordings because of that. Just nothing from over here interest the music I like..so yeah..
09.08.2008 - 22:46
Tórnach
Account deleted
Written by Stuart on 05.08.2008 at 00:57

Written by Guest on 05.08.2008 at 00:44

Really? Emo joints in Soweto? you sure? wow... I never knew that, I'm impressed with emos going into Soweto, I wouldn't... There are a few decent places in Johannesburg. There is The Doors Nightclub in Edenvale (although I haven't been there since 2004 when Entombed played there) and I heard of this place called London Calling which is supposed to be cool, these are the places where the metal scene really revolves around in Johannesburg. But to be honest the metal scene is much smaller in Johannesburg than Pretoria, you should travel up to Pretoria for a night out, there are at least 4 dedicated metal bars/clubs that I can think of and they all have a real community feel. The problem is if you don't know anybody there you have to drive home drunk which can be tricky...

Thats the major downfall of the scene in SA, there are small pockets where it is really strong and the rest is quite barren. the major difference is that the people are alot more dedicated to the darker aspects of metal in SA so you get alot of goth/metal crossover in the scenes, yet the music seems to remain pure and unaffected by this.

Hey don't forget there is quite a few good metal festivals in SA too now, a friend was telling me about one where Carcass was playing and apparently Nile are coming down later in the year, if you ask me those are the signs of a thriving scene. I've seen Sepultura, Soulfly, Entombed and Konkhra in SA.

The Doors is pretty good, ya, but that's about the only place I know of. I don't think emos are brave enough to spend a night in Soweto, that was a joke...but still, the emo scene is coming up here.

I'll check out some of the places...or try to.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I agree with Valaskjalf. I'm into the whole Folk Metal thing. Metalcore/Nu Metal here is getting big, but I can't stand that style.
09.08.2008 - 23:25
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I listened to all these bands listed here, and i have to say i'm not so impressed. Those melodeath bands, it's all been done before but with better music quality. Honestly i don't see what's so special, i was expecting out of a place like South Africa something a little different, something new maybe, but it's all more or less, out of those bands at least, mediocre metal. Noctivian was good though.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
10.08.2008 - 19:54
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Visioneerie on 09.08.2008 at 23:25

I listened to all these bands listed here, and i have to say i'm not so impressed. Those melodeath bands, it's all been done before but with better music quality. Honestly i don't see what's so special, i was expecting out of a place like South Africa something a little different, something new maybe, but it's all more or less, out of those bands at least, mediocre metal. Noctivian was good though.

Exactly my point...you WOULD expect us to be a bit different and YES Noctivian is very good...HOWEVER South Africa has no real heritage if you wanna call it that. What sets the Scandinavian metal scene apart from the rest, which is the music I listen to 95% of the time, is their viking heritage...they actually embrace their heritage other than the American or other countries who sing about how much they hate their country.

South Africa has not such rich heritage or influences because metalheads over here are generally opposed to where they come from. The only thing the white metalhead can refer back to is to the Anglo-Boer War or "Bloed Rivier" where we fought the Xhosas, but all that would be looked down upon as being racist....and our society being so divided as it is, noone will stand for shit like that, especially our government. At the moment ANYthing even remotely related to whites feeling oppressed or them being patriotic to their heritage will be seen as hate-speech.

Ok so thats just an explination on the "folk" like aspect of metal which doesnt work over here. That is probably the main reason why you predominantly get copy bands over here. We have no orignial metal scene as it were but people emulate their favourite bands from overseas and do it badly 90% of the time - one of the main reasons i dont really support local bands unless they actually make good music on an international standard. Since im not very patriotic at all (apart from my home language, Afrikaans) and dont care too much for where I come from I dont see the need to support something for the mere fact that it is from my home country. Went to a club in Bellville, Cape Town last night and ALL they played was international music. No local music whatsoever because a) noone recognises it and (b) its nowhere near the standard of more well known bands.
10.08.2008 - 20:21
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Guest on 10.08.2008 at 19:54

Written by Visioneerie on 09.08.2008 at 23:25

Exactly my point...you WOULD expect us to be a bit different and YES Noctivian is very good...HOWEVER South Africa has no real heritage if you wanna call it that. What sets the Scandinavian metal scene apart from the rest, which is the music I listen to 95% of the time, is their viking heritage...they actually embrace their heritage other than the American or other countries who sing about how much they hate their country.

South Africa has not such rich heritage or influences because metalheads over here are generally opposed to where they come from. The only thing the white metalhead can refer back to is to the Anglo-Boer War or "Bloed Rivier" where we fought the Xhosas, but all that would be looked down upon as being racist....and our society being so divided as it is, noone will stand for shit like that, especially our government. At the moment ANYthing even remotely related to whites feeling oppressed or them being patriotic to their heritage will be seen as hate-speech.

Ok so thats just an explination on the "folk" like aspect of metal which doesnt work over here. That is probably the main reason why you predominantly get copy bands over here. We have no orignial metal scene a it were but people emulate their favourite bands from overseas and do it badly 90% of the time.

I guess the folk aspect can have something to do with it because it's obvious that the scandinavian melodeath bands rely on their history quite a bit, whether it's the lyrics or the music, usually both i'm presuming. If those bands have that advantage of using the stories of their ancestors as inspiration when it comes to composing music then that's an upper for them. There's no doubt that some of those bands Wintersun, Amon Amarth and all that folk metal movement are gaining recognition worldwide, because they make good music and have a sort of image to represent where they come from.

However, I think that if you are to make music, your inspiration must be about music first and foremost, and then you can count in your surroundings and whatever you may want to put into your art. There are so many death metal bands that come from places on earth that may not have that interesting historical content and they still achieve at making really good and inspiring music. Take where i live for instance, Montreal, some bands here could'nt care less about the history of our province when it comes to making their music and they make really great stuff. Martyr, Augury, Cryptopsy (not their new album) just to name a few. In the end, it's all about imagination and creativity. Sometimes you have to lock yourself into your own world when there is nothing else out there that you want to talk about.

Nature can be a big inspiration, so that's why i was expecting more out of SA and the fact that it's far from every other metal scene but like you said, it's mostly copying other bands. Look at Psycroptic for instance, they come down from Tasmania and they make great dm. Anyways i think you get my point.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
18.11.2008 - 22:26
Mark
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.08.2008 at 03:48

Hmm, i tend to agree with this statement. I've been listening to metal since around 1994 and I can seriously say that i don't follow the SA metal scene or have any desire to do so. I don't go and watch any gigs of SA bands or go to clubs. Why, well there's nothing out there that interests me and why must i watch some mediocre music just because its from my own country. I was in France this year for Hellfest and got to see so many of my favourite bands. I would rather go to Europe once a year and see quality than try uncover something here. I live in Cape Town and I think there are a few clubs but not sure what they like. SA music has progressed over the years and we have a handful of rock bands that could easy compete with the international bands - but not in the metal scene for some strange reason.
18.11.2008 - 23:02
coalchamber
Account deleted
Well in my eyes chromium is a kick ass band from SA. I'm not surprised that the metal scene there is a bit dissapointing but chromium isn't at all.

Johannesburg, Gauteng
Afrique du Sud

http://www.myspace.com/chromiumtheband

I have their previous album and i just keep listening to it, they are now recording a new album which is almost done.
06.01.2009 - 09:02
CrowKiller

I am sorry, I see this topic is old but I have to revive it and make my comments.

I live in South Africa and have been to many many gigs here. All these people that say the scene sucks, i strongly disagree. Sure, international bands are always better, that's because they are on a record label and get to tour at huge festivals. Frankly, many international bands are not as good as some of the local acts yet they are big because they live in a country that embraces metal. They have countless metal labels, small and big, that are all fighting to sign the next big thing and release their album. And as soon as someone sees, "ooh a metal band from Finland, must be good", then they buy their below average album. Here in South Africa there is only one or two small metal labels and no one to promote it. There are a lot of metalheads here, I personally know many. What it takes is time, and I know the scene is building.

Onto the bands themselves. Now, Betray the Emissary and Warthane are great. I won't be surprised to see Warthane making it big. But it is Sacrifist that I truly believe in. They are getting in age, but their music has always been of high quality and they are one of the greatest melo death bands I have ever heard. They are truly talented and the fact that they are not huge anywhere is a sin beyond all sins. Their live shows are truly amazing. No one here has mentioned the band Autumn Sun which is probably the most talented band in the country. I am lucky enough to know some of the members and can say that their guitarist is one of the best musicians I have ever seen. Please see these links for their music and their music video on youtube:
http://www.myspace.com/autumnsunband
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osry5OGAJNE
The quality of the recordings isn't as good but the band's live shows are fantastic, with epic songs and huge solo's. They have even toured Europe and played on the same stage as Cradle of Filth.

The metal scene here is going through a "deathcore" phase right now but some of these bands are really bringing fresh ideas to the genre and their shows are amazing and good to watch, even if you are not a deathcore fan. Please check out:

Facing The Gallows - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=204523271

Deane Crescent - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=139894486

The Dead Will Tell - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=176314351

Unforsaken Truth - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=190490724

All Forlorn - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=166135947

The Blackened Cecropia - http://www.myspace.com/theblackenedcecropia

The point being, there is much talent. There are many more bands like Contrast the Water and Stigmata Dawn. There are venues in Johannesburg too. Doors, The Black Dahlia, Tempo's, Street Cafe, Asylum, Dragon Lounge....they have gigs every week basically. Pretoria too. Everyone being so negative here about metal in South Africa needs to seriously get their act together because it is people like that are causing the scene to break down all which it has built. Support your local bands, let's build the scene.
07.01.2009 - 04:02
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by CrowKiller on 06.01.2009 at 09:02

I am sorry, I see this topic is old but I have to revive it and make my comments.

I live in South Africa and have been to many many gigs here. All these people that say the scene sucks, i strongly disagree. Sure, international bands are always better, that's because they are on a record label and get to tour at huge festivals. Frankly, many international bands are not as good as some of the local acts yet they are big because they live in a country that embraces metal. They have countless metal labels, small and big, that are all fighting to sign the next big thing and release their album. And as soon as someone sees, "ooh a metal band from Finland, must be good", then they buy their below average album. Here in South Africa there is only one or two small metal labels and no one to promote it. There are a lot of metalheads here, I personally know many. What it takes is time, and I know the scene is building.

Onto the bands themselves. Now, Betray the Emissary and Warthane are great. I won't be surprised to see Warthane making it big. But it is Sacrifist that I truly believe in. They are getting in age, but their music has always been of high quality and they are one of the greatest melo death bands I have ever heard. They are truly talented and the fact that they are not huge anywhere is a sin beyond all sins. Their live shows are truly amazing. No one here has mentioned the band Autumn Sun which is probably the most talented band in the country. I am lucky enough to know some of the members and can say that their guitarist is one of the best musicians I have ever seen. Please see these links for their music and their music video on youtube:
The quality of the recordings isn't as good but the band's live shows are fantastic, with epic songs and huge solo's. They have even toured Europe and played on the same stage as Cradle of Filth.

The metal scene here is going through a "deathcore" phase right now but some of these bands are really bringing fresh ideas to the genre and their shows are amazing and good to watch, even if you are not a deathcore fan. Please check out:

Facing The Gallows - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=204523271

Deane Crescent - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=139894486

The Dead Will Tell - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=176314351

Unforsaken Truth - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=190490724

All Forlorn - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=166135947

The point being, there is much talent. There are many more bands like Contrast the Water and Stigmata Dawn. There are venues in Johannesburg too. Doors, The Black Dahlia, Tempo's, Street Cafe, Asylum, Dragon Lounge....they have gigs every week basically. Pretoria too. Everyone being so negative here about metal in South Africa needs to seriously get their act together because it is people like that are causing the scene to break down all which it has built. Support your local bands, let's build the scene.

Well perhaps the scene is fine up north but here in Cape Town it sucks aids-infested monkey balls. And perhaps im being negative about it - but I guess thats just the cynic in my speaking. I suppose im also being selfish, dont really feel like putting the energy into making it into some terrific scene and endure relatively mediocre music (for the most part) of bands playing styles of metal I really dont give a shit about...as you mentioned death core - fuck it.

In the end I guess its good to support it however bad it is, merely for the sake of getting the scene big enough to encourage OVERSEAS bands to come and play. That would be my only reason for giving my support to the local scene - I want to see Wintersun again and I dont want to go all the way to Holland again to do so!

Until our "scene" finally snaps out of their "core" driven phases that seem to alternate between deathcore and metalcore, I will be staying in listening to the music I like. And since my taste in metal greatly revolves around progressive metal and viking metal, I wont be holding my breath.
09.01.2009 - 10:23
CrowKiller

Written by Guest on 07.01.2009 at 04:02

Written by CrowKiller on 06.01.2009 at 09:02

Well perhaps the scene is fine up north but here in Cape Town it sucks aids-infested monkey balls. And perhaps im being negative about it - but I guess thats just the cynic in my speaking. I suppose im also being selfish, dont really feel like putting the energy into making it into some terrific scene and endure relatively mediocre music (for the most part) of bands playing styles of metal I really dont give a shit about...as you mentioned death core - fuck it.

In the end I guess its good to support it however bad it is, merely for the sake of getting the scene big enough to encourage OVERSEAS bands to come and play. That would be my only reason for giving my support to the local scene - I want to see Wintersun again and I dont want to go all the way to Holland again to do so!

Until our "scene" finally snaps out of their "core" driven phases that seem to alternate between deathcore and metalcore, I will be staying in listening to the music I like. And since my taste in metal greatly revolves around progressive metal and viking metal, I wont be holding my breath.

I can understand your frustration dude. I saw your profile and see you like the Scandinavian bands. I love melo death, folk, viking, symphonic black etc too. Those are my fav genre's, but at the same time I do enjoy the odd "core" band. It is sad that all the bands are focusing on that sort of style, thus alienating a large portion of SA metalheads. Like I said though, I like some of the core bands and I am relatively impressed with them. That is why I have hopes for the scene. The Dead Will Tell for example are so refreshing from the cliche deathcore sound.

By the way, Autumn Sun, Sacrifist, The Blackened Cercopia, Stigmata Dawn, are all bands that don't do the "Core" thing, so you may wanna check them out. They are actually pretty awesome.
09.01.2009 - 18:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I have those bands in my PC

Black Rose, Brothering, Grämlich, Immortal Slave, Malignant Saviour, Misericord, Retribution Denied, and Frozen Path,

+ I realy want P.I.T.T
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.01.2009 - 23:37
Stuart
MiseryKing
A slight update to this thread, here are a few SA Black Metal bands, just as an example of how individual genres are represented in the country. I agree with ForlornSky, but dude sacrifist are really getting old now...

Child: - http://www.myspace.com/child666band

Erebus: - http://www.myspace.com/erebussouthafrica

Frozenpath: - http://www.myspace.com/vfrozenpath

Lifeless Sorrow: - http://www.myspace.com/lifelesssorrowband

Nightrise: - http://www.myspace.com/nightriseband

Rigormortem: - http://www.myspace.com/rigormortemband

Sathern: - http://www.myspace.com/sathernband

Theatre Runs Red: - http://www.myspace.com/theatrerunsred

Verkrag: - http://www.myspace.com/verkrag

Volkmag: - http://www.myspace.com/volkmag

Edit: Do these sound "core" to you?
16.01.2009 - 08:29
CrowKiller

They may be old but they still kick some serious ass. I'm sorry but their new album is amazing (surrealist Plague). I also hear they are releasing a new one this year.
20.01.2009 - 23:44
Remus

OMG! The SA metal thread! I'm so totally emo!

Ok ok ok here's what i think:

It's pretty good! I'm not complaining! Even though i live in Secunda - a lil shit town where metal is about as cool as veldskoene - and hardly get to see any bands perform live.
However, when i do go up to johannesburg or pretoria i always enjoy seeing live acts at clubs such Doors or Zeplins.
Honestly, if we had better record labels local bands would flourish more easily.

As it is, there may be bands that actually have talent but since there is no support from record labels, well, let's just say a lot of them quit early on.
Labels, decent(aka rich) ones, only sign mainstream groups such as The Narrow or Pestroy. They wouldn's take a chance on a lil black metal band that's just starting out - even if they do have talent.

Then you get the 'metal' labels, such as Grimm Music, but they don't really support their bands financially... So most of them end up leaving their respective labels because they don't really get anything out of it.
But even if the large majority of SA's population listens to commercial stuff, you still get pretty damn good bands such as Autumnsun, Sacrifist, Erebus, Elegy...

To conclude, considering allmost everyone here is christian and most people adopt a "uuu how can you listen to that shit?" attitutde i think we should b pretty greatful for what we have - a constantly expandidng metal scene which, in about 10 years or so has the potential to equal any european country's scene in greatness, the talent is there, let's just hope the labels start providing real support.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
25.01.2009 - 14:01
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Remus on 20.01.2009 at 23:44

a constantly expandidng metal scene which, in about 10 years or so has the potential to equal any european country's scene in greatness

Uhh thats kinda pushing it....the foundations of the European metal scene, especially Scandinavian scene, have been laid by their educational system. From what I understand playing and instrument from like the age of REALLY SMALL is mandatory, the terrible weather and context/climate contribute to the fact that people who like metal and start up their bands cant really do much else than practise for a seriously long time. Take bands like Children of Bodom....they released Something Wild in 1997 (or so) composing incredible pieces of metal at the age of 17!! Fair enough, they suck at the moment, but they have shown great talent.

The problem with South African bands are that they SEEM to have the technical ability but they have no CLUE about songwriting. Mind Assault as a good example....their guitarist throw solos and sweeps and all kinds of shit in their to show they have the "ability" but in the end its a mish-mash of different things thrown in at random with no sense of coherence or relevance to the songs. Its one thing to have talent, eventhough I have seen very little proof of that in the South African scene, but it means nothing when the small amount of talent that you have is wasted by having no songwriting ability.

And another thing is that metal shows over here just seem like some shitty excuse for a booze fest. Sorry Im very negative but you make it sound like the SA metal scene is still very young and havent had a chance to flourish. The metal scene has been around for a LONG time...I dont see any reason why we will suddenly be competitors on international labels in the next 10 years when in the past 10 years we've been appalling....what will be so different from now until 2020? Are you saying there was no talent back then? Because to be honest, as crappy as our scene was 10 years ago, some of those bands are the best we've had.

To a certain degree its true that the scene wasnt aloud to flourish, shitty labels etc but its got more to do with SA as a whole. The quality of our Universities/Colleges relating to sound engineering, the amount of money invested in it, the fact that even "POPULAR" music in South Africa dont flourish overseas. All those things, the shit economy, which leads to shit sound engineers in metal and shit metal record labels all result in why the metal in our country is mediocre. And why I dont see it becoming any better or much better within the next 10 years.

I just dont see it...sorry
26.01.2009 - 00:05
Remus

^ Not gonna argue with anything you said 'cause, to a large extent, it is true.

Still, it's every man's right to dream, isn't it ?
----
Procrastinate, NOW!