Metal Storm logo
Uplifting doom metal?

Original post

Posted by Graveheart, 04.08.2008 - 19:03
I included the question mark in the title because I also think something like that sounds too bizarre to exist. But I started to have faith in it when I was listening to Fireflower by Tiamat the other day and realised how happy it is. (It's on their 2002 album Judas Christ in case you have trouble looking for it) It's probably got something to do with the song melody because the pace is pretty dreamy, the riffs are quite low, slow and droning. Still, Fireflower is one of the most uplifting songs I've heard in a long while. I'd like to know if it's not just in my head, if anyone else has heard the song and agrees with me that it's doomy but not gloomy.

And more importantly, I'm asking if there are bands that are known for doing this, if their whole material fits with the description I gave for Fireflower. Because Tiamat aren't primarily a doom metal band (actually not in the least) and none of their other songs combine the happy melody (like in the song Heaven of High) with the moody vibe (like in the song Amanes). Or if you also have a single similar song in your mind, by any band, I'd be interested to hear about it. No matter if you think it's probably supposed to be sad but you still find it happy nonetheless.
21.10.2009 - 02:30
Graveheart

But is some of it more uplifting than others? Uplifting enough to dare call it "objectively" so?
27.11.2009 - 17:38
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Brighter Than The Sun, if Ive understood you!
27.11.2009 - 22:37
IronAngel

I find most doom uplifting. Well, the doom I enjoy, anyway!

And I'm not just stating the obvious that I'm uplifted by music I enjoy (though it's that, too), but there's this strong contrast in doom metal: in all its dreariness, weariness, melancholy and depth, there's also a strong streak of irony, humor and a deep grasp on life. Cliché as it may sound, extremes hold their counterpart within.

As for uplifting doom in the most obvious sense, I think Marcel listed some good suggestions. You can't listen to Reverend Bizarre's Doom Over the World or Goddess of Doom without being at least a little bit uplifted.