Metal Storm logo
Candlemass

Original post

Posted by Valar, 17.05.2006 - 07:28
Candlemass, the founders of epic doom metal.
Their First four albums Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, Nightfall, Ancient Dreams, Tales of Creation are flawless, and its very difficult to choose the best from these bests.

So defn there must be many Candlemass and epic doom metal fans around with views for this Epic band.

(Arguing If Candlemass was the first doom metal band or weather Epicus Doomicus Metallicus was the first doom metal album is what most of the times is discussed and i would recommend to keep away frm these "Arguable" issues)

Views About the band, albums and Fav tracks, news etc Post On....
28.09.2007 - 20:55
Ereinion'
Account deleted
Today i have discoverd this band and I think they make good doom metal...So which album should i start listening now?
29.09.2007 - 13:37
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
elite
Mestrock.se conducted an interview with Robert Lowe a few hours before the band's performance at Sticky Fingers in Gothenburg Sweden on September 23, 2007. You can watch the interview at this location.
30.09.2007 - 00:20
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
I was actually a bit disappointed with King Of The Great Islands. Still, the only Candlemass album I listen to and own is Epicus Doomicus Metallicus.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
30.09.2007 - 21:28
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.09.2007 at 20:55

Today i have discoverd this band and I think they make good doom metal...So which album should i start listening now?

Three words- Epicus Doomicus Metallicus.
30.09.2007 - 23:00
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Guest on 30.09.2007 at 21:28

Three words- I second that.
----
02.10.2007 - 08:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Lucas on 30.09.2007 at 00:20

I was actually a bit disappointed with King Of The Great Islands. Still, the only Candlemass album I listen to and own is Epicus Doomicus Metallicus.

How the hell can you be disappointed by King of The GREY Islands?
Rob Lowe is even better than Messiah Marcolin plus the songs are really memorable as well, okay it is not as great as Candlemass' first three albums but it beats anything they released after Ancient Dreams
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.10.2007 - 21:06
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.10.2007 at 08:52

Written by Lucas on 30.09.2007 at 00:20

How the hell can you be disappointed by King of The GREY Islands?
Rob Lowe is even better than Messiah Marcolin plus the songs are really memorable as well, okay it is not as great as Candlemass' first three albums but it beats anything they released after Ancient Dreams

Yeah, I meant Grey.

Anyway, I really like Rob's vocals, especially on Solitude Aeturnus releases, but King.. hasn't hit me (so far). Ad besides, the debut is really the only album I like from them.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
03.10.2007 - 23:51
Ereinion'
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 30.09.2007 at 21:28

tnx for the info
04.10.2007 - 17:35
rageing atheist
Account deleted
no problem
09.10.2007 - 23:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

All albums whit Msiah Marcolin and all 80ties + first 9-ties are best
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.10.2007 - 23:44
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I prefer their first singer to Messiah, Messiah sounds a bit too cheesy and theatrical, the guy on Epicus managed to put more emotion into songs imo.
13.10.2007 - 00:03
Sonsofsabbath
Black sabbath are the first epic doom metal band, Black sabbath is the first doom metal epic song. Candlemass patterned themselves after sabbath, and did, and does, an excellent job of it. Their guitaist comes up with some evil sounding riffs, thats for sure. I like black stone weilder. I do find I bore of their music quickly. It is very one dimensional.
13.10.2007 - 13:39
Esoptron
Account deleted
One of the greatest doom metal bands ever...Deeply inspired by Black Sabbath(Leif Edlings says that they are his number one band and influence)but they dont coppy them in any way...Candlemass have their own style and have offered us many doom metal diamonds...where should i start from?Epicus Doomicus Metallicus is just the beggining...The compositions are so perfect and really inspiring and Johan has the perfect voice to sing in those,i have no words to describe this album...Then comes Nightfall where Marcollin Messiah appears as vocalist of the band(i think Johan decided to sing in his pop band than in Candlemass)and Candlemmas have another really such a great vocalist with a tramendous vibrato and voice...i dont think that i should say how important they are for doom metal(unless you dont like traditional doom)or how influential they have been for all kinds of doom!They recently visited my country and my city...those who were there and those who have been to a Candlemass concert can understand for sure the feeling(and Robert Law can sing for Candlemass as good as Messiah there is no doubt for that,but yes Marcollin is the original singer)thats from my side
18.10.2007 - 08:07
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Devil Seed, from the new album, is FUCKING AWESOME. I only own Epicus Doomicus Metallicus and that album has grown on me so much recently. Actually, I've been quite fond of traditional doom in general as of late. Too bad most of it sounds exactly like Black Sabbath. But anyways, I think I'm going to buy Nightfall and King of the Grey Islands soon.
02.11.2007 - 05:34
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Well, I bought the new album and I love it. Emperor of the Void, Devil Seed, and Embracing the Styx are my favorites, and even though I'm new to the doom genre, this is one of my favorite doom albums. The version I got has re-recorded versions of Solitude and At the Gallows End with Rob Lowe on vocals, and yes, they are also bonerific.

I feel like buying their discography. Are there any albums I should avoid?
02.11.2007 - 08:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2007 at 05:34

Well, I bought the new album and I love it. Emperor of the Void, Devil Seed, and Embracing the Styx are my favorites, and even though I'm new to the doom genre, this is one of my favorite doom albums. The version I got has re-recorded versions of Solitude and At the Gallows End with Rob Lowe on vocals, and yes, they are also bonerific.

I feel like buying their discography. Are there any albums I should avoid?

Well the first three are classics (so get them a.s.a.p.) Tales Of Creation is also very good. Chapter VI is immensely underrated, but beware of Dactylus Glomeratas for that is a love it or hate it affair, which also applies to !3th From The Sun. The 2005 Candlemass - Candlemass has some brilliant moments but also some pretty average ones.
But do avoid the live albums at all costs.

BUT DO GET ASAP the DVD which was just released 20 Year Anniversary Party which features three official vocalists plus some guests vocalists.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.11.2007 - 22:50
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Cool, thanks. I guess I'll just buy most of them. I already have Epicus Doomicus Metallicus and Nightfall (which I love), and EDM came with a live album that I thought was only decent at best, so I'll avoid the live albums.

I also need to check out more of Rob's other band, Solitude Aeturnus. From what I've heard so far, it also sounds good.
03.11.2007 - 02:40
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
And who'd you get nightfall from

Rofl it is wonderful isnt it. Ancient Dreams is also FANTASTIC.
03.11.2007 - 02:49
Fuath
i have only heard of them, so could someone reccomend me an album to buy, or if any one has it, the link to download it
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

03.11.2007 - 03:14
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
Written by Fuath on 03.11.2007 at 02:49

i have only heard of them, so could someone reccomend me an album to buy, or if any one has it, the link to download it

Check your PMs...
04.11.2007 - 04:18
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt

Jesus, can't you read?
04.11.2007 - 10:48
Fuath
Written by Dangerboner on 04.11.2007 at 04:18

Jesus, can't you read?

i can, but everyone is talking about all if not most of there albums at once, and i was also asking for links
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

04.11.2007 - 17:30
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
Written by Fuath on 04.11.2007 at 10:48

Jesus, can't you read?

i can, but everyone is talking about all if not most of there albums at once, and i was also asking for links

Have you downloaded/listened to Nightfall yet?

Its superb IMO...
06.11.2007 - 08:50
Fuath
Written by Guest on 04.11.2007 at 17:30

Written by Fuath on 04.11.2007 at 10:48

Jesus, can't you read?

Have you downloaded/listened to Nightfall yet?

Its superb IMO...

i have, ur right, its great!!!
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

09.11.2007 - 04:43
bucky01403
Account deleted
I love Candlemass, albeit only having three albums, Nightfall is my favorite.
13.11.2007 - 09:28
Ellie
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.11.2007 at 04:43

Ah I love Nightfall! I always feel like everyone loves Epicus Doomicus Metallus the most..but Nightfall has always been my favourite. Good to see others that like it..Cheers!
13.11.2007 - 23:19
bucky01403
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.11.2007 at 09:28

Ah I love Nightfall! I always feel like everyone loves Epicus Doomicus Metallus the most..but Nightfall has always been my favourite. Good to see others that like it..Cheers!

I hear ya! It was my first Candlemass album, so it's got a nostalgia factor. Epicus is great too.
14.11.2007 - 00:41
Ellie
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.11.2007 at 23:19

Written by Guest on 13.11.2007 at 09:28

I hear ya! It was my first Candlemass album, so it's got a nostalgia factor. Epicus is great too.

Harhar same
15.12.2007 - 02:43
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
elite
A live recording of Candlemass performing the song "Of Stars And Smoke", recorded earlier this year by the Swedish national radio (Sveriges Radio P3), is available for streaming on the band's MySpace page here.
15.12.2007 - 02:54
Susan
Smeghead
elite
Oh... I'm so very excited for their N.American tour this spring w/ Daylight Dies. We seldom get doom coming through this country and to have Candlemass.. oh
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs