Metal Storm logo
Candlemass

Original post

Posted by Valar, 17.05.2006 - 07:28
Candlemass, the founders of epic doom metal.
Their First four albums Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, Nightfall, Ancient Dreams, Tales of Creation are flawless, and its very difficult to choose the best from these bests.

So defn there must be many Candlemass and epic doom metal fans around with views for this Epic band.

(Arguing If Candlemass was the first doom metal band or weather Epicus Doomicus Metallicus was the first doom metal album is what most of the times is discussed and i would recommend to keep away frm these "Arguable" issues)

Views About the band, albums and Fav tracks, news etc Post On....
21.03.2008 - 02:12
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
wtf...blabbermouth reported that the Candlemass guitarist, Mats "Mappe" Björkman, was sentenced to two years in jail for grand theft. Here's the article - http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=93330.

I really hope they won't have to delay tours and their next album.
21.03.2008 - 06:38
Southern Wind
Account deleted
LOL

Keet it true Candlemass!
22.03.2008 - 15:03
muikaslin
Account deleted
the newest album is really nice,
guitarist was imprisoned for stealing music. i think that's shameful. there you see who is really a musican and who not. of course its not good for candlemass...
22.03.2008 - 15:06
Lucas
Mr. Noise
What does this have to do with being a musician or not? His monolithic riffs still stand.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
22.03.2008 - 19:23
muikaslin
Account deleted
thats right. but i think it isn't right to steal music, as he did. i know that doens't sound good, but i mean does he want that his music is stolen?
do you buy music, or steal by doing different things'? i of course agree with you that he's a musician.
22.03.2008 - 19:24
muikaslin
Account deleted
i have to add that i like candlemass
02.04.2008 - 07:34
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Just listening to "Dark Reflections" from 'Tales Of Creation' and it's great. Have you listened to the whole CD yet pyro?
----
The force will be with you, always.
02.04.2008 - 08:27
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Oh yeah, I love listening to that album in my car on the way to work. Like you said, Dark Reflections is fucking awesome; by far the best track.
20.04.2008 - 16:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Damn... some of you gonna think that I'm an idiot [and I can second that anyway]
But some moths ago I deleted my Canbdlemass stuff because I didn't listen to it so often and my computer was too full of shit.

Now my computer is fine.. and I'm thinking.. that this band is fucking great and the samples from the new album sounds incredible, specially the corus from the song "Of Stars and Smoke" which is ver very beautiful vocal work. It really touched me...

I will download the whole stuff again... and buying some cds maybe.. because this band started to grown on me very fast.
I need some recommendation... I know that the first four album are a must-have.. but what with the later albums?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.04.2008 - 03:33
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Damn them all to hell! Their first U.S. tour in 17 years and they don't come anywhere near where I live. But hey, what's new? This always happens. Nothing new. Regardless, I want to see them live. One day.
----
The force will be with you, always.
19.05.2008 - 17:42
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
I'm just getting into these guys, they're great! The guitar parts are well thought out. I'm really liking the "Nightfall" album.
24.05.2008 - 00:09
Freezer

Written by Clintagräm on 02.04.2008 at 07:34

Just listening to "Dark Reflections" from 'Tales Of Creation' and it's great. Have you listened to the whole CD yet pyro?
It's a great album, and I think it's quite underrated. And man, there's that awesome instrumental called "Into the Unfathomed Tower"
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
05.07.2008 - 22:08
Anders Hansson
Account deleted
Tales Of Creation best album they have done

by the way i was on there first gig in sweden damn good
13.07.2008 - 20:31
Detric
King Of Twilight
Nightfall stands as one of my fav doom metal albums of all time.
15.07.2008 - 08:23
routa
Account deleted
Does anyone have any idea what kind of guitar gear do they use? Of course, I'm mainly interested in what amps they had. Love the crushing sound, especially on their earlier albums.
15.07.2008 - 20:14
Gordon Freeman

Written by Guest on 15.07.2008 at 08:23

Does anyone have any idea what kind of guitar gear do they use? Of course, I'm mainly interested in what amps they had. Love the crushing sound, especially on their earlier albums.

Hughes & Kettner Amps
ESP Guitars
Seymour Duncan Pick-Ups.

This is current gear, I'm not sure if it is the same stuff they used on their earlier albums.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
17.07.2008 - 22:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.11.2007 at 08:19

But do avoid the live albums at all costs.

Why Are those albums so bad? o.o

I always read bad commets against them... I'd never heard those albums anyway... But I'm curious.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.07.2008 - 22:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.07.2008 at 22:55

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.11.2007 at 08:19

But do avoid the live albums at all costs.

Why Are those albums so bad? o.o

I always read bad commets against them... I'd never heard those albums anyway... But I'm curious.

They are bland sounding, and Candlemass comes across as very uninspired. So no added value there.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.07.2008 - 18:37
Candlemass
Defaeco
Nick been taken, that's for sure
31.07.2008 - 08:32
routa
Account deleted
Written by Gordon Freeman on 15.07.2008 at 20:14

Hughes & Kettner Amps
ESP Guitars
Seymour Duncan Pick-Ups.

This is current gear, I'm not sure if it is the same stuff they used on their earlier albums.

Thanks. Yeah, kinda stupid of me not to check their site for that. Nonetheless, doubt he has used H&K for that long.
I want that Tales of Creation-crunch.
31.07.2008 - 18:16
Gordon Freeman

Written by Guest on 31.07.2008 at 08:32

Written by Gordon Freeman on 15.07.2008 at 20:14

Hughes & Kettner Amps
ESP Guitars
Seymour Duncan Pick-Ups.

Thanks. Yeah, kinda stupid of me not to check their site for that. Nonetheless, doubt he has used H&K for that long.
I want that Tales of Creation-crunch.

How long have bands been putting their equipment on their album booklets? Maybe Tales of Creation has what they were using on the album on the booklet. Does it even have a booklet...I don't know...
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
30.09.2008 - 04:10
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Messiah needs to come out with an album or start a project that answers "king of the grey islands". Messiah is the fuckin man.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
05.10.2008 - 23:59
mortjoyeux

Just got some material of Candlemass yesterday actually, and it's mind blowing to me. bestttt
06.10.2008 - 00:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by mortjoyeux on 05.10.2008 at 23:59

Just got some material of Candlemass yesterday actually, and it's mind blowing to me. bestttt

What material did you get by them?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.10.2008 - 05:10
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I seem to be actually the only one who, although enjoyed a lot KOTGI (how anyone couldn't?) felt a little bit dissapointed as it was totally eclipsed imo by the greatness of their self/titled released two years before. With King... the band sounds a bit self-satisfied for me, not willing to explore new pathways, for which the vocalist change was the perfect ocasion.
19.10.2008 - 07:51
mortjoyeux

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.10.2008 at 00:05

Written by mortjoyeux on 05.10.2008 at 23:59

What material did you get by them?

Epicus Doomicus Metallicus , Nightfall and Ancient Dreams cdzzzzz
20.10.2008 - 13:54
routa
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 06.10.2008 at 05:10

I seem to be actually the only one who, although enjoyed a lot KOTGI (how anyone couldn't?) felt a little bit dissapointed as it was totally eclipsed imo by the greatness of their self/titled released two years before. With King... the band sounds a bit self-satisfied for me, not willing to explore new pathways, for which the vocalist change was the perfect ocasion.

I haven't even bothered to get KOTGI yet, wasn't too impressed by the samples back then. And yeah, the s/t is pretty damn good.
21.10.2008 - 02:33
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 20.10.2008 at 13:54

I haven't even bothered to get KOTGI yet, wasn't too impressed by the samples back then. And yeah, the s/t is pretty damn good.

You should check it out man. It's their darkest album they've made and one of my favorites. The fact that Rob Lowe is on it is reason enough to check it out!

It does take time to grow on you though...
21.10.2008 - 22:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Dangerboner on 21.10.2008 at 02:33

Written by Guest on 20.10.2008 at 13:54

You should check it out man. It's their darkest album they've made and one of my favorites. The fact that Rob Lowe is on it is reason enough to check it out!

It does take time to grow on you though...

Exactly.

But listening to it you can hear that Lowe is still trying to find his ways within Candlemass.
It seems like he is totally at ease there now judging by the two new tracks on the Lucifer Rising e.p. and also judging by the re-recording of Demon's Gate. I, for one, can't wait for the new album to appear in spring 2009.
I wonder how far Solitude Aeturnus are with their writing of new songs. Rob Lowe is God. He shows that Messiah was easily replacable. But let us not forget Candlemass', probably, best vocalist, Johan Lanquist. A truly underrated genius.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.10.2008 - 19:53
GT
Coffee!!
Ever since you posted that link to Lucifer Rising and I listened to it, it has been stuck in my mind. It's a really great song. It even made me order a two Candlemass albums
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep