02. The Great Delusion
03. New Babylon
04. Not The Only One
05. Carnage (Is The New World Order)
06. Sweet Home
07. Forced Out
08. Impeachment
09. Nineth

Upon reading the album title "Let's Roll" I prepared myself for some good old-school Death metal grooves, with plenty of ugly bass and decapitations and beheadings and what not. Undeniable disappointment rained down on me with surprising ferocity when I searched for some lyrics and a biography prior to listening to this album. "Murderplan does not subscribe to an alternative political agenda but rather remain a neutral observer with comments strictly based on modern humanism, etc." Oh god. Not another one!

However, writing them off just like that would be a personal disgrace to me as a reviewer and even more so to the three guys that put so much effort into this album, cause let me say it loud and clear: this album is good! So yeah, their thematic choice might not have been mine were I the one to choose, but musically this is some strong Melodic (don't run!) Death metal. Not the In Fl*mes type of "Melodeath", but Melodic Death metal done right – in other words: Death metal with loads of melody. Not pop rock with some girly screams. But let us not waste any time on irrelevant issues.

Fact is, Murderplan are a bunch of quality musicians and though their music is not technical, their skills do shine through. Originality might not be their aim, but old school bands should never be downgraded on that. Every riff and fill is tight and the solos are often pretty great. Whereas the chugging lead guitars during verses are sometimes a little bland, the solos make every single worth listening. Imagine Arch Enemy listening to Dismember with their new vocalist, this time no she-males anymore, but a good old-fashioned death/blackish grunt. Sounds good, eh? Yes, it does. Let's Roll!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written on 07.08.2008 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 58 users
07.08.2008 - 16:36
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Hm, i remember to check their MySpace sometime ago. It sounded nice. I think i'm going to listen to it right now.

Hits total: 3894 | This month: 4