06. Born Under A Black Sun
07. Of Blood And Magic
08. Remnants Of Ruin
09. Harvest For The Devil
10. Forged In Flames
11. Summoner Of The Unseen
12. A Nights Eternity [bonus]
13. Ut Ur Graven [bonus]

I really liked Siebenbürgen's previous effort "Plagued By Thy Angel" so I was expecting this album a while ago now.
For those that doesn't know this band, Siebenbürgen used to play Black Metal in their early years, but the band members had a taste for Classic heavy Metal also, so they decided to mix both genres to do a sort of Heavy Black Metal or something in that vein.

The result was catchy songs with grunts, Gothic elements such as female vocals keyboards and so. Like I said, I really liked their prior album.

Then 4 years passed before my eyes, and one day in my mailbox was waiting the latest Siebenbürgen release, Darker Designs & Images.
I don't know what to think about this release because I'm not disappointed, but neither I'm completely satisfied, songs are catchy and have good moments, but something is definitively is lacking, is always hard to admit that the album you've been waiting for so much is not that great, is hard to admit you were wrong about something like this.

Yes, the album is not spectacular, it has amazing songs like "Rebellion", "Born Under A Black Sun" and "Of Blood Of Magic" but the rest of songs are quite forgettable (not boring or bad, just forgettable). Some songs contain to many repeated elements, and that is the worst feature of the album, is too predictable, the riffs and drum patterns are quite similar in many songs.

As you can see I have mixed feelings about this album, but I have to be honest here, is not that good, not as I expected, I was hoping for a masterpiece but instead I got this good album. Quite enjoyable but nothing memorable.

Fans of the band will have a good time, newcomers will also enjoy the album, but don't expect nothing groundbreaking, although the initiative of mixing Heavy Metal with Black Metal is a good idea.

Written by Undercraft | 22.10.2005

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 33 users
11.08.2008 - 07:50
Rating: 7
Jason W.
Razorbliss
This review basically gives my opinion as well about this album... there isn't any song on it that's bad, but could I remember the melodies of all of them? Not at all, because only 4 or so songs seem to penetrate my mind...

I must say though, that one song that is not mentioned is on the digipak version, "A Night's Eternity," is a quite good one. It's different than the rest of the album, and showcases their female vocalist for the first time in all of the band's work if I'm not mistaken. It's a ballad, and a very somber and satisfying one. Overall, though, this album is decent, but I prefer "Delictum" and "Plagued..." much more.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
14.06.2009 - 08:00
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Quote:
As you can see I have mixed feelings about this album, but I have to be honest here, is not that good, not as I expected, I was hoping for a masterpiece but instead I got this good album. Quite enjoyable but nothing memorable.

That's Siebenburgen, just another good band. Althou their album just gets better and better. I truly hated their first two works. ''Delictum'' is a bit better. And these last two are pretty good.
Still got to hear their lastest effort... but from what I've know, it's just another average work.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
20.10.2016 - 00:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Jason W. on 11.08.2008 at 07:50

This review basically gives my opinion as well about this album... there isn't any song on it that's bad, but could I remember the melodies of all of them? Not at all, because only 4 or so songs seem to penetrate my mind...

I must say though, that one song that is not mentioned is on the digipak version, "A Night's Eternity," is a quite good one. It's different than the rest of the album, and showcases their female vocalist for the first time in all of the band's work if I'm not mistaken. It's a ballad, and a very somber and satisfying one. Overall, though, this album is decent, but I prefer "Delictum" and "Plagued..." much more.

I would say rebbelion stands out a bit somehow, because I remember I got that one on MS compilation in old days ... best song IMO
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 3837 | This month: 11