04. Lies And Truth
05. Hear Me
06. Stay With Me
07. Look To Eternity
08. Inside Of The Rising Sun
09. Can You Feel The Pain
10. Travel
11. Illusion Of Life [Ukrainian Version bonus]

I didn't know that Sonata Arctica guys have some cousins in Ukraine. You didn't know that too? Well their name is Konstantin, Vitaliy, Vladimir etc and they play in a band called Sunrise! Sure they're not their real official cousins but when I listen to their music I have the feeling that we have a big link between these two bands? Is it a matter of similarities? Of course it is and the people who like the Finish combo will like "Liberty"? or simply say that it's a copycat?

I'm trying to find some big differences between Sonata Arctica and Sunrise but except the fact that one name talk about "ice" and the other about "sun" I don't find anything different. Like the Finish combo, Sunrise plays some kind of really melodic Power Metal. This is "happy" as hell ultra conventional and not really original but on a side, it works. Sure this kind of Power Metal is not the most innovative thing that we've heard lately but in the case of Sunrise I have to admit that our Ukrainians musicians have found the way to write good songs which will convince, in my opinion, the ones who like Finnish Power Metal. The album is composed of fast super commercial songs, like ballads and all the melodies will be easily remembered. Definitely if you don't like such kind of music, just go away because "Liberty" will not give you anything new but if you're looking for some easy of access Power Metal, it should be ok for you.

Despite its real lack of originality and despite the fact that "Liberty" is a bit too similar to the releases of Sonata Arctica, I cannot say that Sunrise is a bad band. The musicians are not so bad except their singer Konstantin Naumenko who is a bit out of tune some time, but all in all it's ok. The artwork is cliché as hell but nicely represent the genre and since that the production is not bad at all, it's hard to find bad things in this release. As I said already the music of "Liberty" is just too similar to the one of some other bands but in the genre it's well done!

If you're not afraid by copycat albums and like Finnish Power Metal, have a look on "Liberty". Really Sunrise don't have to suffer of any comparisons with the famous bands of the category but this is just a bit sad that the band didn't find the way to write something a bit more personal. Though with time maybe that the combo will find its own personality; and this day Sunrise will become an important name in the Power Metal category.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 6
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 13.08.2008

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 55 users
14.08.2008 - 15:05
GT
Coffee!!
staff
If they're a total SA rip-of I can't understand the 6 in originality, shouldn't it be lower Anyway I might check this out since I like SA
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep

Hits total: 5365 | This month: 10