13. Quetzali Dance
14. Mihtohtli Citlalin
15. Ahau Falls
16. Chanin Tiqsimuyu
17. Tutamantan
18. Icxiohtli
19. Aymarkayi
20. 2012

"Tezcatl" is the album of the return of the really original band Tenochtitlan. Despite its name, Tenochtitlan is not a band from America but from Russia and if you haven't heard yet anything of their discography, you must know that the band plays some kind of ambient progressive Doom Metal. This is really original and unique, a bit special too that's right, but excellent if you like "crazy" music and history (because of course, the music and lyrics are linked to the big central and south American civilizations). One more time "Tezcatl" confirms all the good words that people use to say about the band, their music is not really easy of access but if you're open minded, this new album is a killer one more time.

To begin, let's describe a bit the music of Tenochtitlan. The band uses to plays a mix of ambient Doom Metal with Progressive sonorities. The songs are slow in general even if we can have some mi-tempos tracks sometime. This is not really slow too, we're not in front of a band of funeral Doom but the general ambiance is really "cool" and which will give you a feeling of peace. Yes, the music of Tenochtitlan is "soft" and not really aggressive even if we can have some big riffs some time and even if one of the singers uses to sing with big Death vocals. All in all, "Tezcatl" is a lot more complex than the two previous releases of the band. Sure we still have this "folk-ethno" music composed of traditional flutes and ethnic music a la Dead Can Dance but this time the singers are a lot more present and you'll be able to listen to move lyrics in Russian in general but also in original South American languages like Quechua. This time we even have a female vocalist who is not only a little addition, she uses to sing a lot on the release and her voice give something more to the music of Tenochtitlan. "Tezcatl" is a good release, a bit complex that's right but interesting if you like to listen to unique sounds.

Of course, "Tezcatl" is a bit elitist and all the people who like to listen to music, only to pass good time or to party will not find it really good. But if you like complex progressive sounds and songs which go in a dozen of directions, I'm sure that you'll like this release. The music of Tenochtitlan is really deep, the twenty songs are all really different with of course as always this really cool music which seems to come from the past and from the different ethnicities of the Central and South America (Inca, Maya, Aztec). I don't know how they're able to do it but the guys of Tenochtitlan still know how to create a great atmosphere and even if nobody really know how was the music of these people you'll have the feeling that you're back in the past.

"Tezcatl" is well recorded and well interpreted. This new release confirms that we can still create original music when we want to do it. Of course this is not something commercial but it's good and I hope that Tenochtitlan will still follow this road in the future. Try to listen to this album before that you buy it because honestly it's a bit a hate or love release but if you don't mind Russian lyrics and like cool Progressive Doom mixed with folk-ethnic music, this is a must. You know what to do now; just try to discover the universe of Tenochtitlan and if you like their music you'll have to buy all their albums.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 15.08.2008

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 114 users
15.08.2008 - 23:51
Asitis

Sounds like something I could listen. I like deep-listening music and I have a thing for experimental Russian bands
----
The silent moment, right before the dusk fades away
I open my eyes, but the darkness stays
16.08.2008 - 05:19
selken
Irreligious
well. a russian band playing mesoamerican driven music.... thats something I must listen, not only because of the regional differences, but also because I want to hear a mesoamerican folk metal band
----
16.08.2008 - 07:32
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Their concept is interesting, but musically they sound rather inconnexed to me... let's see if this had changed with this album.
17.08.2008 - 11:26
FOOCK Nam

Well, reading the review, I feel this album will be very interesting for me.
23.08.2008 - 17:54
Talvi

This album, with the exception of some songs, sounds VERY random. It isn't very good, but the idea is very good.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
23.08.2008 - 18:19
VPeter

Pretty bad band, the Russian lyrics kill the theme instantly and the mix of ambient and metal is not balanced out that well.
31.08.2008 - 08:12
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by VPeter on 23.08.2008 at 18:19

Pretty bad band, the Russian lyrics kill the theme instantly and the mix of ambient and metal is not balanced out that well.

well.. thats your opinion... but i think the only way Russian lyrics could kill the theme is if you understand russian.
If i had listen to this album before i knew that this is a russian band, i would'nt even noticed that the language was russian.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
08.04.2009 - 05:24
XPhantom
Account deleted
Nice band

Hits total: 7132 | This month: 9