04. Praying Is Nothing
05. Calling Out
06. The Vision Of Blind Harry
07. Hate Dance
08. Signs, Symbols And The Marks Of Man
09. Let The Spirit Be
10. Fast And Wild
11. Crides

It is not because you're not Irish or Scottish that you cannot play Folk Metal right? Sure, a lot of European countries have Celtic origins but I don't see why people from America couldn't play this kind of Metal too, especially because this music is also popular there. At least we have some guys from Argentina who try to do it and every time that they release an album they succeed to do it really well. The third album of Skiltron, "Beheading The Liars" is out this year and one more time, the Folk Metal lovers will get their money's worth.

Again, Sikltron invite us to a musical journey through the past and through the British-Celtic legends and history. If you like Folk instruments like Scottish Bagpipe, Harp or Tin-whistle you'll have all what you need in the new album of the band from Argentina. Sure this is as always Metal, with Heavy Metal riffs and even some good guitars soli but of course the music of Skiltron is leaded by the Folk instruments and their really catchy and festive melodies. On a side the music of Skiltron is good Heavy Metal not the most original and complex one but a good one but here, this is the addition of the Celtic instruments which gives a lot more of course and this is perfect if you want something fresh and a bit original. Despite the fact that Folk Metal is more and more popular this music is still really refreshing and when a band like Skiltron is able to write good songs with really good melodies and choruses, I don't see why it shouldn't work. Don't expect anything new in the genre in this release but you can expect good Folk Metal and if you like Celtic music you'll not be disappointed even if the band doesn't come from Great Britain or Ireland!

For this third album, the guys of Skiltron wanted to do something big and they have invited a lot of great guests. The leaders of Hantaoma and Stille Volk, Laforgues and Roques, plays and sing on "Crides", Jonne Järvelä of Korpiklaani is the lead singer of "Praying is Nothing" and finally three members of Skyclad, Kevin Ridley, Steve Ramsey and Georgine Biddle are featured on "Signs, Symbols and the Marks of Man". As you can see this is a real Folk All-Star album and really with its great production and a really good level of musicianship I'm still wondering why this band is unsigned. They're definitely better than a lot of bands which pretend to play Folk Metal.

"Beheading The Liars" is not super original especially if you know the first album of the band but this is a really good album of Folk Metal. We don't have to be European to be good Folk Metal compositors, the leaving proof come from Argentina and its name is Skiltron. If you want to listen to good Folk, I recommend you the new album of Skiltron which is for me their best out to date.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 15.08.2008

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 130 users
16.08.2008 - 13:23
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Sounds promising, Ill try to check it out
----
16.08.2008 - 13:46
Janne
Hugin
I only listened to their first album once, but it was quite good. If I have time I'll listen to both Skiltron albums.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
17.08.2008 - 10:52
pinox

Nice argentinian band like me,check the new album.;D
17.08.2008 - 19:26
VPeter

Still it is very fake tough, go play Inca metal and don't act like scottish warrior's that is just fake and lame.
17.08.2008 - 20:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by VPeter on 17.08.2008 at 19:26

Still it is very fake tough, go play Inca metal and don't act like scottish warrior's that is just fake and lame.

And why the hell Inca-metal? Skiltron are from Argentina...
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.08.2008 - 20:30
VPeter

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.08.2008 at 20:23

small mistake I just meant naitive south american metal.
17.08.2008 - 20:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by VPeter on 17.08.2008 at 20:30

But according to your way of thinking Nile can't incorporate Egyptian influences in their music, Dutch bands can't incorporate Viking elements etc etc.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.08.2008 - 20:38
VPeter

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.08.2008 at 20:32

But according to your way of thinking Nile can't incorporate Egyptian influences in their music, Dutch bands can't incorporate Viking elements etc etc.

there is diffirence between adopting it completly and just standard adoption: Nile doesn't dress like egyptians and act all fierce about egyptian style. Actually Dutch bands can sing about Vikings since they used to ocupy large parts of The Netherlands.
26.08.2008 - 19:22
Iceland_Norway

I like this argentinean band.

but it's hard to find on Italian offline shops.

I must buy the cds online, but I don't have money for now damn.
----
Føroyar mítt land

Tú alfagra land mítt

Føroyar mín Móðir
02.09.2008 - 03:21
Altáriel
Account deleted
Written by VPeter on 17.08.2008 at 20:38

there is diffirence between adopting it completly and just standard adoption: Nile doesn't dress like egyptians and act all fierce about egyptian style. Actually Dutch bands can sing about Vikings since they used to ocupy large parts of The Netherlands.

Well, actually most argentine people have very recent (2, 3 generations) european roots. I myself have italian, spanish and portugese ancestors. And we also have a huge scottish and irish inheritance. You see, in more than one ocassion massive ammounts of immigrants came to this country (the last time was WWII. my ancestors came after the 1st war) and so the argentine culture is a very vast mixture of tradition from all those countries, mixed with the different originary cultures that were here (inca, guarani, mapuche, tehuelche, etc - though these people were not treated well at all I must say).

I guess it would be really fake if they did Inca-metal since none of the guys in the band looks very incaic. I would love a project like that, though. I guess that if it ever comes it will come from the north...

Trust me guys: they sound live as great as they sound on the cd. The new singer Diego Valdez is in my opinion the best argentine vocalist of these days.
02.09.2008 - 14:30
VPeter

Written by Guest on 02.09.2008 at 03:21

Written by VPeter on 17.08.2008 at 20:38

Well, actually most argentine people have very recent (2, 3 generations) european roots. I myself have italian, spanish and portugese ancestors. And we also have a huge scottish and irish inheritance. You see, in more than one ocassion massive ammounts of immigrants came to this country (the last time was WWII. my ancestors came after the 1st war) and so the argentine culture is a very vast mixture of tradition from all those countries, mixed with the different originary cultures that were here (inca, guarani, mapuche, tehuelche, etc - though these people were not treated well at all I must say).

I guess it would be really fake if they did Inca-metal since none of the guys in the band looks very incaic. I would love a project like that, though. I guess that if it ever comes it will come from the north...

Trust me guys: they sound live as great as they sound on the cd. The new singer Diego Valdez is in my opinion the best argentine vocalist of these days.

Actually there is an typical Argentine folk metal band called Diadema Tristis, check them out they are great. that part of immigrants is true but there names and surnames and their looks sure don't look Scottish. It feels just fake and Folk Metal is allready an overcrowded genre and really could use an other naitive south american Folk metal band.
02.09.2008 - 15:46
Altáriel
Account deleted
Yeah, I heard of those guys, as well as Ecliptic Sunset. But I'm more into power-ish folk.

Argentine names are mostly Spanish. And surnames are Spanish or Italian, as in the Skiltron guys' names. But the mixture of different cultures is very strong (that makes our food really interesting among other things...). I really don't know if any of them has actually any Scottish inheritance (I'll ask them next time I see them - luckily in December) but they definitely have a genuine interest in Scottish culture.

Folk metal might be an overcrowded genre in Europe, but after seeing one Argentine band after another that try to sound like Hermetica or V8 (no offense to those bands) it is very refreshing to see something like Skiltron, or Tengwar (this band mixes Celtic music with metal and Tolkien related themes).
27.11.2012 - 12:28
gerritgroot

All ye who are saying it's fake and that they should play Inca or whatever rock, you don't have even the slightest idea of what you're talking about, you culture nitwits.

So, let me enlighten your poor souls. Argentina is a country of immigrants, right? Well, the vast majority of the Argentinians DO have celtic roots!

You're mislead my their spanish surnames. They come originally from a celtic region in Spain, as celtic as Ireland and Scotland, though they lost their language (like in Scotland as far as I know), some villages still have celtic names and their folk music survided, with the bagpipe (though differently styled) as their most traditional instrument. Hordes of these celtic people immigrated (from Spain) into Argentina, just like the irish immigration in the US and they're as celtic as them.

Even if they wouldn't be celtic, ye ought to judge on the music and the music alone IMO, but even if you wouldn't judge only on the music, they actually ARE celtic and possibly more celtic than many culture barbarians writing here.

For the rest, great website btw, my compliments!

Hits total: 7699 | This month: 6