01. Time Of The Rage
02. Temple Of The Forest
03. Dark Days Shadows
04. Youth
05. Brotherhood Of Steel
06. Dawn
07. Tracery Of Sorrow
08. Stone Heart Blood (Outro)

Like "Pesni Vechnogo Dreva", "Stone Heart Blood" is composed of re-recorded old songs like new songs of Alkonost discography. One more time the Russian combo is back with a lovely album of dark Folk Metal mixed with Doom and Pagan music. I don't know how they do that but every time that this combo release an album, the track list is full of beautiful songs composed of amazing touching melodies. If you still don't know Alkonost "Stone Heart Blood" is highly recommended.

"Stone Heart Blood" is composed of slow songs, and if this is not so new with Alkonost we have at least a little difference with songs which are a bit more epic. When I talk about epic sounds, I think about songs like "Temple Of The Forest" which has an amazing epic chorus in addition of a sumptuous catchy (but a bit repetitive on a side) melody. This is sad and melancholic so don't expect to dance or anything even if it's Folk Metal but this is really touching and despite the fact that I cannot understand anything of the Russian lyrics I suppose that with such a title, it's probably really poetic and beautiful. As always with Alkonost all the songs feature some little repetitive guitars arpeggios in addition of a strong bass and the two really different voices of the male and female singer. In the end, the music of "Stone Heart Blood" despite the fact that it's slow and insistent is really hypnotic. Also the songs are long in general so they're not linear and you'll be able to find a lot of breaks in the different tracks. "Stone Heart Blood" is not really easy of access but if you like deep and intense music, it should be alright for you!

The recording of "Stone Heart Blood" is pure as water; this is probably the best recording of the whole discography of the band. Also, the cover is simply amazing, I really like the colored artwork which is different of the previous artworks that the band has used in the past but this new orientation is just beautiful. Again the musicians are really good and the voice of Alena is charming as always. "Stone Heart Blood" doesn't have anything wrong except maybe that it's a bit short (well not really but we want more!).

"Stone Heart Blood" is epic but one more time really poetic and touching. Alkonost really deserves to be known outside of Russia. This is not a problem of language this time, the Russian lyrics fits perfectly to the music of band but more a problem distribution and promotion maybe. So let's help me to spread the word, Alkonost is a great band and I hope that this new release will help them to be discovered by a lot of people. "Stone Heart Blood" is highly recommended if you like great Epic Folk and Doom Metal.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 14.08.2008

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 45 users
17.08.2008 - 11:31
FOOCK Nam

Folk mixed with doom, pagan, and slow..Sounds interesting and appealing me.

Hits total: 5328 | This month: 7