04. Aengus Óg's Fiddle
05. Fading Empire
06. Ghost Of The Crescent Moon
07. Flow My Tears
08. Sailing Alone
09. Lullaby [The Wickerman Movie Soundtrack cover]
10. Battle Of Kadesh
11. Sleep Now, Quiet Forest

With "Sleep Now, Quiet Forest", the American female singer Laurie Ann Haus is finally back in front of the Metal scene. Her last EP with Todesbonden was out in 2004 and this is only four years later that the band finally releases their first official album. One more time, Laurie will invite you in a magical journey in the world of Gothic music and definitely you'll not have the right to decline it.

"Sleep Now, Quiet Forest" is a lovely album of real Gothic music. Todesbonden is not like After Forever or Nightwish, the American band plays real gothic music. So ok Laurie sings with a nice "operatic" voice but the music is a lot darker and slower. "Sleep Now, Quiet Forest" is not an album of Power Metal with a female singer and that's good to hear such releases sometime. Despite an Epic side that we can find with Epica or After Forever the main difference here is that the music is really dark and slow. The riffs are insistent and even a bit doomy but what I like the most in the music of Todesbonden is the really good "world" music influences that we can hear in the compositions. You probably all know Dead Can Dance and even if I cannot compare the bands, musically speaking, it's cool to see that Laurie is able to produce "Arabian" voices a la Lisa Gerard and that of course the music of the band follow these melodies with some really good arrangements. This is in my opinion the best parts in the new album, some other Symphonic things being a bit to classic and common for me. Maybe that the album is not enough dark and too influenced by European bands sometime but all in all, this is a lot more Gothic than 90% of the releases that you can listen to nowadays and of course I'm sure that the people who likes Gothic and old Celtic influences will love the release.

"Sleep Now, Quiet Forest" is a good release, maybe that it's a bit sad that we don't have more songs like the really good medieval "Flow My Tears" and "Angus Og's Fiddle" and that we have ones like "Trianon" which are too commercial to my eyes. But all in all this is a good album and not a commercial one so if you want real Gothic music you should be happy here. Laurie Ann Haus is still a great singer even if must admit that her voice will maybe bore some people especially the ones who have enough of such kind of vocalists (and they're more and more unfortunately). On the other hand the music is well played and the production of the release is really good and it's really easy to feel nostalgia through the violins or harps.

"Sleep Now, Quiet Forest" is a good album but will it be a masterpiece in the eyes of the fans of the genre I'm not so sure. Not because the album is bad but because it's not so original in the end and doesn't give anything new to the listeners. Don't misunderstand me too, the first album of Todesbonden is solid, and after all this is just a first release. If in the future the band find the way to add some originality and personality to its music, it should be perfect. "Sleep Now, Quiet Forest" is a good album of Gothic Metal, not the most original one but really good if you like this kind of music.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 18.08.2008

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 137 users
18.08.2008 - 13:59
annodomini
For me its really original, and i think this album gives some fresh air in Female Fronted scene. A sollid album.
----
the riddle wants to be...
20.08.2008 - 03:30
WarriorOfMetal
I've been blown away by this album since I got it...9.5/10 for me!
27.08.2008 - 02:51
Rating: 9
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Yes, I think I like this CD more than you have Jeff, I find it quite satisfying when it's listened as a whole. In terms of songs that stand out to me, I have to go with "Battle Of Kadesh" and "Ghost Of the Crescent Moon." Laurie Ann's vocals in the latter are downright gripping to me. I also particularly enjoy the second song on the CD, "Surya Namaskara," very much

I think I see where you are coming from on this review, so I understand your perspective on the disc, but I am coming from somewhere else as a listener and what I'm looking for, so I think that explains our differences
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
15.03.2009 - 22:13
Rating: 7
HardSide
Fair warning - This is not for everyone, there is some ambient atmospheric tones here, however this reminds me a lot of nightwish but without out fast guitar work.

Its a good album for its gothic genre, but for a hardcore metal head, this wont be an easy listen.
16.03.2009 - 07:58
Rating: 9
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Written by HardSide on 15.03.2009 at 22:13

Fair warning - This is not for everyone, there is some ambient atmospheric tones here, however this reminds me a lot of nightwish but without out fast guitar work.

Its a good album for its gothic genre, but for a hardcore metal head, this wont be an easy listen.

I don't think I've ever once thought of Nightwish while listening to this album, which I'm sure has already eclipsed a few hundred times now. Outside of operatic approaches in some vocal lines, where are you hearing Nightwish in this, I'm curious ?

And thankfully, this album is not appealing for everyone. That shows it has genuine original and interesting aspects to it, and is not for the generic masses.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
10.07.2009 - 14:48
Rating: 10
BudDa
elite
Written by WarriorOfMetal on 20.08.2008 at 03:30

I've been blown away by this album since I got it...9.5/10 for me!

Me too. I loved the album. I think Jeff gave it a low score..
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
20.07.2011 - 19:47
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Tried it but something didn't click. The female vocal impressed me though, sometimes she reminds me of Annie Lennox.
----
7.0 means the album is good

Hits total: 6353 | This month: 8