04. Burden
05. Porcelain Heart
06. Hessian Peel
07. Hex Omega
08. Derelict Herds [bonus]
09. Bridge Of Sighs [Robin Trower cover] [bonus]
10. Den Ständiga Resan [Marie Fredriksson cover] [bonus]
+ Rehearsal Tapes [documentary]

Every time Swedish masters Opeth release a new album, expectations from their hordes of fans are very high. This time around, with the departure of two very influential long-time members, their new record Watershed could have been the end of an era. However, Watershed is yet another tour de force performance from Opeth.

While the opening melancholic track with clean vocals and even female vocals probably took a few of us by surprise, the rest of the album continues a tradition of excellence that Opeth's fans must acknowledge. Despite the joint departures of guitarist Peter Lindgren and drummer Martin Lopez, Mikael Åkerfeldt proves once more than his song-writing abilities are the core of the band. With Martin Mendez on bass, Martin Axenrot on drums, Per Wiberg on keys and the recent addition of Fredrik Åkesson on guitars, the band lay out their trademark sound once again. The ever-changing melodies, the subtle mélange of vocals and the progressive guitar riffs are omnipresent.

Watershed continues where Ghost Reveries left off. Heavy riffs, an eerie atmosphere, powerful melodies, the winning formula has been kept alive. But do not think for a second that Opeth just released a clone of their previous record. Some new elements spice up the songs, but I don't want to spoil them for you. While some heavy songs such as 'The Lotus Eater' and 'Hessian Peel' are sure to become crowd's favorites, fans of their Damnation album will be overjoyed with the inspiring ballad called 'Burden'.

Overall, I feel this is a more thought through album than its predecessors. And while the level of aggression might have been taken down a notch compared to their early works, the cohesion of the songs makes Watershed a unique release.

Some thought that the departures of two band members meant the end of the golden era for Opeth. Watershed proves them wrong on so many levels. With in-your-face compositions and melancholic ballads, Opeth's latest effort is so far the album of the year.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 22.08.2008 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 104   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 810 users
22.08.2008 - 08:30
TopGun

yea i liked it.. but i bought the bonus limited edition blablabla with 3 new tracks and the dvd.. it was to my dismay that the bonus tracks were ON and ONLY ON the dvd.. which meant i couldnt run it on my comp to rip the songs onto my ipod (if anyone knows a way feel free to tell me ) so overall yea i liked it.. just a little disapointed over the bonus tracks cause its not like i wanna sit infront of my tv and listen to them on the dvd..good review tho
22.08.2008 - 08:32
Rating: 9
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Splendid album and very good review. I can't find a sentence here I wouldn't agree with.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
22.08.2008 - 09:38
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Nice review, not sure I would have rated it as high, but that is only because I have yet to see how this album will impact me in the coming years. I can't make a clear-headed decision about an album's rating until the excitement of a new release has quelled and I can fully break down an album's structure. Hopefully this will be the start of a new era for Opeth, now that the Blackwater Park~ era has come to a close. Their progress with the keyboard is a good start...
22.08.2008 - 09:38
Rating: 5
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
This is their best work since Still Life IMO. This album got the eerie riffage back that I thought was really missing in a few previous albums (and I thought was achieved best on Still Life). I like the rating, don't necessarily agree with the review (talking about the comparisons to Ghost Reveries).
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
22.08.2008 - 09:43
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by TopGun on 22.08.2008 at 08:30

yea i liked it.. but i bought the bonus limited edition blablabla with 3 new tracks and the dvd.. it was to my dismay that the bonus tracks were ON and ONLY ON the dvd.. which meant i couldnt run it on my comp to rip the songs onto my ipod (if anyone knows a way feel free to tell me ) so overall yea i liked it.. just a little disapointed over the bonus tracks cause its not like i wanna sit infront of my tv and listen to them on the dvd..good review tho

I really recognise that feeling... but well, if I had paid for the limited edition I think I would've downloaded theese two tracks just to be able to put them in my iPod, and not feeling way to guilty
22.08.2008 - 09:54
kaylamacgavin

Perfect review for yet again another amazing Opeth album. Mikael Akerfeldt couldn't write a bad album even if he tried.
22.08.2008 - 10:11
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
This album is great, somehow Opeth still manages to get better and better. The music interlude at about 5:45 into The Lotus Eater is amazing!
22.08.2008 - 10:21
Rating: 7
Enissa

Very Nice & Beautiful album
Although I didnt Expect Opeth to use female Vocals But I LOVE IT!!!
and I love the first 4 tracks, especially "Burden" very nice guitar solos.
and The Review is totally Perfect & Fair for the album, thanx Demonic Tutor.
22.08.2008 - 10:32
Rating: 8
ylside

Great album.
22.08.2008 - 11:09
Reizenstein

I love this album, the only downside is that the songs can be a bit to long. For example, Burden could have been shorted by almost 1-2 minutes.
On the other hand, it wouldn't be Opeth if the songs wern't long as hell
----
Growl
22.08.2008 - 13:28
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
Again a great album... Not my favourite one though...
Still Life, Blackwater Park and even Ghost Reveries are better IMO...
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
22.08.2008 - 14:07
Talvi

One of their best IMO. Good review.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
22.08.2008 - 14:36
Flynny

great album. not blackwater park or ghost riveries, but just another fuckin great album
22.08.2008 - 15:39
Elio
Red Nightmare
good review and very good album...not their best though. I would have rated it about 8.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
22.08.2008 - 16:01
Abattoir

For me this one is another very good album...generally looking, they have never realy go out of those ranks. Only good staff from them...and it still continues.
22.08.2008 - 17:15
VPeter

Overated album by an overated band, that's all I got to say. Still I have to say it's better then the tiring and boring album that was Ghost Reveries.
22.08.2008 - 20:28
Janne
Hugin
I really don't like this album as I neither would like Opeth's other albums. There is good half minute in the song 'The Lotus Eater' but that's all. I don't like prog metal but it's even worse than simply prog metal...
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
23.08.2008 - 00:22
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Good review. I agree with the rating too. This is definately a great release, yes a lot of people don't like it but I still think its very special. And unlike what people might think I don't like it because its Opeth, I like it because it's beautiful, regardless of the band who is behind it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
23.08.2008 - 01:29
Raziel X

Written by Janne on 22.08.2008 at 20:28

I really don't like this album as I neither would like Opeth's other albums. There is good half minute in the song 'The Lotus Eater' but that's all. I don't like prog metal but it's even worse than simply prog metal...

They why are you commenting a prog release when you simply cannot get into it and know nothing about prog?
23.08.2008 - 01:33
Janne
Hugin
Written by Raziel X on 23.08.2008 at 01:29

Written by Janne on 22.08.2008 at 20:28

They why are you commenting a prog release when you simply cannot get into it and know nothing about prog?

It's a good question... maybe I was boring xP sorry!!!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
23.08.2008 - 01:57
Warman
Erotic Stains
Opeth just can't seem to do anything wrong!
----
23.08.2008 - 02:14
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
YES!
I fucking knew it!!!

After the very dissapointing Ghost Reveries.. My expectations were very low but I still had some hope.
And they fucking did it. I'm very glad that they maked this album. It has the sound of GH but way better... This is what the other album should be.

I can't say wich is the best album. But this one is freaking good.
They still rock and I'm very happy for it.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.08.2008 - 02:36
Raziel X

Great release, I liked Ghost Reveries, and this only perfects what seemed boring for some people
23.08.2008 - 03:28
Rating: 6
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Well, it's a more interesting release than Ghost Reveries, as well as having more passionate musicianship. But, in terms of enjoyment, I'm still not much interested in the album. It's Opeth, they have their unique sound and all, but those keyboards just take the music in a direction that seems like it's searching for something the band has yet to find. Ahh, it's a good album and all, but not album of the year to me...
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
23.08.2008 - 05:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I forgot to say that I disagree with the rating.
a 8,5 will be very fair IMO.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.08.2008 - 21:40
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
What I really liked in this album where the 70's prog elements added in, especially the entire keyboard solo in what I believe was "The Lotus Eater". Actually Opeth has always been pretty progressive in spirit, although they've seemed to embrace it in this album in a more literal sense.
24.08.2008 - 12:27
Rating: 5
Damned-In-Black

Disappointed with this album. I enjoy all their others (Ghost Reveries and Morningrise somewhat less than the rest), but this one, not at all.
24.08.2008 - 13:00
Opethienne
Account deleted
After an album of the content of " Ghost Reveries" , I was feared that the group lowers its guard but in the great tradition of what Opeth had been able to make of better, like "Still Life" or " Blackwater Park"... The new " Watershed" was the album where Opeth reinvented a new duel of guitars.

So nice review and i agree with the rating for sure!
24.08.2008 - 16:12
Rating: 10
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
I actually feel this may be Opeth's best album. Honestly, the balance between brutality and melancholy, technicality and acoustic, everything that makes Opeth reaches a more mature sound than ever. Surely this year's best, and better than Ghost Reveries and Deliverance.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
24.08.2008 - 16:34
Opethienne
Account deleted
Passenger i think that what you said it's true cause i like all opeth album, and surely they're mature album after album, and i like this mixture between harmony with arpeges, and brutality i means with voices and instruments, it's like a beautifull sun after an natural catastroph hiiihi ( and the pink floyd and camel influence's appear!!)

Hits total: 20995 | This month: 26