04. Burden
05. Porcelain Heart
06. Hessian Peel
07. Hex Omega
08. Derelict Herds [bonus]
09. Bridge Of Sighs [Robin Trower cover] [bonus]
10. Den Ständiga Resan [Marie Fredriksson cover] [bonus]
+ Rehearsal Tapes [documentary]

Every time Swedish masters Opeth release a new album, expectations from their hordes of fans are very high. This time around, with the departure of two very influential long-time members, their new record Watershed could have been the end of an era. However, Watershed is yet another tour de force performance from Opeth.

While the opening melancholic track with clean vocals and even female vocals probably took a few of us by surprise, the rest of the album continues a tradition of excellence that Opeth's fans must acknowledge. Despite the joint departures of guitarist Peter Lindgren and drummer Martin Lopez, Mikael Åkerfeldt proves once more than his song-writing abilities are the core of the band. With Martin Mendez on bass, Martin Axenrot on drums, Per Wiberg on keys and the recent addition of Fredrik Åkesson on guitars, the band lay out their trademark sound once again. The ever-changing melodies, the subtle mélange of vocals and the progressive guitar riffs are omnipresent.

Watershed continues where Ghost Reveries left off. Heavy riffs, an eerie atmosphere, powerful melodies, the winning formula has been kept alive. But do not think for a second that Opeth just released a clone of their previous record. Some new elements spice up the songs, but I don't want to spoil them for you. While some heavy songs such as 'The Lotus Eater' and 'Hessian Peel' are sure to become crowd's favorites, fans of their Damnation album will be overjoyed with the inspiring ballad called 'Burden'.

Overall, I feel this is a more thought through album than its predecessors. And while the level of aggression might have been taken down a notch compared to their early works, the cohesion of the songs makes Watershed a unique release.

Some thought that the departures of two band members meant the end of the golden era for Opeth. Watershed proves them wrong on so many levels. With in-your-face compositions and melancholic ballads, Opeth's latest effort is so far the album of the year.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 22.08.2008 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 104   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 810 users
25.08.2008 - 02:03
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
I still have only heard Porcelain Heart, which i really liked, ive really got to pick up this album soon. It seems to be that most like it who prefer the softer side of Opeth. I love both sides, but they produce better music when they are slow and melodic.
25.08.2008 - 03:13
Damnated
Churchburner
i'm reading this review over and over, and i can't seem to figure it out why did you rate this album so high. as it isn't obvious from the text. i also can't seem to understand how is this an official review.

all you did here is write a lot about the recent history of the band, repeat the info from the first paragraph in the last and say a couple of words about the actual music. you even explain yourself with Some new elements spice up the songs, but I don't want to spoil them for you..

why write a review then? because just about everyone knows about the recent line-up change in the band, and if this isn't obvious, there are other ways to find out. why write a review and say ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about how does the album sound like? What you say about the music is Heavy riffs, an eerie atmosphere, powerful melodies.. OMG, you don't say!! just about 90% of today's metal sounds heavy and has an eerie atmosphere.

all this review tells me, is: you're a fan boy, but you can't write a review. why couldn't you just vote the album a 9, go to the shoutbox and post "Opeth's latest effort is so far the album of the year."? srsly.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
25.08.2008 - 03:22
Rating: 5
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This is the album that made me tired of Opeth; by far my least favorite. I used to prefer the slow parts of Opeth because it's relaxing, but this time everything is just boring or too random.
25.08.2008 - 12:23
Rating: 9
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Damnated on 25.08.2008 at 03:13

i'm reading this review over and over, and i can't seem to figure it out why did you rate this album so high. as it isn't obvious from the text. i also can't seem to understand how is this an official review.

all you did here is write a lot about the recent history of the band, repeat the info from the first paragraph in the last and say a couple of words about the actual music. you even explain yourself with Some new elements spice up the songs, but I don't want to spoil them for you..

why write a review then? because just about everyone knows about the recent line-up change in the band, and if this isn't obvious, there are other ways to find out. why write a review and say ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about how does the album sound like? What you say about the music is Heavy riffs, an eerie atmosphere, powerful melodies.. OMG, you don't say!! just about 90% of today's metal sounds heavy and has an eerie atmosphere.

all this review tells me, is: you're a fan boy, but you can't write a review. why couldn't you just vote the album a 9, go to the shoutbox and post "Opeth's latest effort is so far the album of the year."? srsly.

Well, I really have to disagree. Reviews are written not only for the experts and fans of the band that know everything about it. I really think the review is well-put and thought-through. The reviewer compares it to the previous releases, and "Heavy riffs, an eerie atmosphere, powerful melodies" is not the only thing he says about the release, and when he says, "Some new elements spice up the songs, but I don't want to spoil them for you" he is trying to create some kind of intrigue about the album for those who haven't listened to it yet - that's, after all, is the point of reviewing the album: to give an image of the album. And he actually talks about something new in every paragraph, and repeating oneself in the conclusion is not an error at all; that's one of the rules of by-the-book writing.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
25.08.2008 - 12:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Damnated on 25.08.2008 at 03:13

i also can't seem to understand how is this an official review.

Mmm, because DT is one of the official reviewers.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.08.2008 - 15:09
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by K✞ulu on 25.08.2008 at 12:23

after all, is the point of reviewing the album: to give an image of the album.

indeed. but this review fails to give an image of the album. by "heavy riffs and eerie atmosphere" you know how the album sounds like? at least an impression? i certainly don't.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.08.2008 at 12:34

Mmm, because DT is one of the official reviewers.

i know.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
25.08.2008 - 15:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Damnated on 25.08.2008 at 15:09

i know.

then why did you ask why this is an official review?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.08.2008 - 18:11
Søren
Lord of the Mosh
Elite
Written by Guest on 22.08.2008 at 13:28

Written by TopGun on 22.08.2008 at 08:30

yea i liked it.. but i bought the bonus limited edition blablabla with 3 new tracks and the dvd.. it was to my dismay that the bonus tracks were ON and ONLY ON the dvd.. which meant i couldnt run it on my comp to rip the songs onto my ipod (if anyone knows a way feel free to tell me ) so overall yea i liked it.. just a little disapointed over the bonus tracks cause its not like i wanna sit infront of my tv and listen to them on the dvd..good review tho

You can either download them, or take the more complicated route of using a DVD decrypting program that will allow you to separate the audio files and make them MP3s. I've done this with some live shows I have on DVD so I could just listen to the music without having to turn on the tv.

"Watershed" is a great album.

There are programs out there that let you rip a DVD to audio in one shot and they are no more complicated than the programs you use for ripping a CD. Xilisoft has a good one that I used to turn Lamentations into MP3 format.
25.08.2008 - 18:21
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.08.2008 at 15:42

it was a rhetoric question, expressing sarcasm. official reviews tend to be well written, trying to be a bit objective. this is a badly written fanboy review. i was surprised to some extent, that's all.
----

25.08.2008 - 18:21
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Damnated on 25.08.2008 at 15:09

Written by K✞ulu on 25.08.2008 at 12:23

after all, is the point of reviewing the album: to give an image of the album.

indeed. but this review fails to give an image of the album. by "heavy riffs and eerie atmosphere" you know how the album sounds like? at least an impression? i certainly don't.

Well, that's not the only thing he says about the album. Read carefully, which you state you have done, but what about "female vocals probably took a few of us by surprise," "the band lay out their trademark sound once again," - this one will make something clear to people who familiar with the previous releases - "The ever-changing melodies, the subtle mélange of vocals and the progressive guitar riffs are omnipresent."

And then the last three paragraphs are pretty descriptive you know.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

25.08.2008 - 18:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Damnated on 25.08.2008 at 18:21

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.08.2008 at 15:42

it was a rhetoric question, expressing sarcasm. official reviews tend to be well written, trying to be a bit objective. this is a badly written fanboy review. i was surprised to some extent, that's all.

As if everyone always has good quality reviews. And I haven't seen you submit an oh so wonderful review at all about something. So, sit down and try to write a better review on this if you dare, and can (I doubt it)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.08.2008 - 19:47
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.08.2008 at 18:26

As if everyone always has good quality reviews. And I haven't seen you submit an oh so wonderful review at all about something. So, sit down and try to write a better review on this if you dare, and can (I doubt it)

i'm commenting the review. i don't see why are you coming with the "go write your own if you don't like this one" line. it's not even you're review, why are you taking this so personally? did i hurt your feelings, Marcel?
----

25.08.2008 - 22:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Damnated on 25.08.2008 at 19:47

i'm commenting the review. i don't see why are you coming with the "go write your own if you don't like this one" line. it's not even you're review, why are you taking this so personally? did i hurt your feelings, Marcel?

Hurt my feelings? hell no cause I can't stand Opeth ever since Deliverance.
Why I was commenting your comments here? Because you're always whining and being arrogant on top of that most of the times. But being constructive? Nope.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.08.2008 - 00:29
Rating: 10
skrätte
I Hate You
Great review.

When Opeth signed to Roadrunner and released Ghost Reveries, I took quite a bit of flack from some of my Opethian friends for saying that, not only was it my favorite Opeth album (at the time), but that I loved the slightly new direction that Opeth had seemingly taken (it was blasphemy to ever call yourself an Opeth fan without ranking Blackwater Park as your personal #1, apparently). It almost seemed like some of the fans were turning their backs and expecting Opeth to "sell out" or "overproduce" simply because they had signed to Roadrunner.

I would love to hear their reactions, now. There is simply no denying the excellence of Watershed.

Åkerfeldt, in the Opeth DVDs and interviews, usually comes off rather stuck-up according to some people. But when you think of some so-called "band leaders" in the past, you can pick out many instances where they are in the limelight, showcasing themselves on the records. Not in Opeth. It seems like every element is perfectly balanced.. and that is the difference between "stuck-up" and "excellent songwriter". The keys aren't overwhelming. The drums aren't overdone. The bass is perfect. The solos aren't flashy or self-serving. The vocals are, as usual, beautiful. Åkerfeldt's melodic voice gets better with each and every album.

I can't think of a day since its release that I haven't listened to Watershed in its entirety. It is truly one of my all-time favorite albums and I find it quite inspirational as a musician.
----
26.08.2008 - 01:47
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.08.2008 at 22:35

Why I was commenting your comments here? Because you're always whining and being arrogant on top of that most of the times. But being constructive? Nope.

yeah, i really do whine a lot. I R SORRY!!
----

26.08.2008 - 15:48
Stigmatized
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.08.2008 at 22:35

Written by Damnated on 25.08.2008 at 19:47

Seriously. I mean, it's not like you ever come across that way.
28.08.2008 - 16:48
behrad_thrash
Account deleted
i love opeth...like always..theire awesomes...
29.08.2008 - 23:02
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 28.08.2008 at 16:48

http://www.learnenglish.de
----

30.08.2008 - 08:23
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Damnated on 29.08.2008 at 23:02

Written by Guest on 28.08.2008 at 16:48

http://www.learnenglish.de

hahaha. are you kidding? that's cruel.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

31.08.2008 - 07:56
Eleazar
He is absolutely right the writings of these lines. Watershed is an impressive record with a sublime performance, which exceeded the expectation of many. In my view, and as a big fan of Opeth, I can say that a disc is majestic, knowing incorporate the features and capabilities of the new members, although in my personal opinion, if they had been Peter and Lopez, this cd would have been better. I am not complaining of what it is, but that would have given "plus" if the original band, and touches of jazz so well handled by Martin. The only thing I can say is starting a new phase of the band most grandiose of this world and the universe, OPETH will continue for a long time the best banda which has touched on this planet.
Eleazar Trejo. Mexico City
01.09.2008 - 03:24
this is a great album so far!! Opeth Rules!!
05.09.2008 - 19:43
Master Piece ...
It is recognized Wilson's hand ... But, Mikael he's the best...
26.09.2008 - 14:08
REGRET.
Mikael Åkerfeldt Best Vocal!!!!!!!!!!!!
24.10.2008 - 20:51
Bard_skald
Opeth has got the best albums of the decade so far. Watershed is just another piece of art. No matter if 2 important (and great) members have left the band, Akerfeldt continues ripping our fuckin asses with a music from another dimension. Every album is different, but at the same time the Opeth's soul remains the same.

My favourite songs from Watershed are: Heir Apparent, The Lotus Eater, Burden and Hex Omega. But the rest are awesome too...
24.10.2008 - 22:50
VPeter
Although I don't usually like Opeth, I have to say this is above their average and even somewhat enjoyable.
28.10.2008 - 21:05
misanthroman
Account deleted
Opeth dominate not only metal but also a lot of other styles of music.........never a disapointment with anything they do.
29.10.2008 - 00:58
Arcesse Eum
Amazing album, but the later tracks get a little dull. Still a great album worthy of the Opeth Name
----
As above, so below.
13.11.2008 - 16:41
Rating: 7
I didnt Find nothing interresting ... Hex Omega Is Boring ... the tracks are deceiving ... i prefer ghost reveries ... watershed is not like i hoped ... so i put a 7 because Heir Apparent ,Lotus Eater and Hessian Peel are good tracks but the rest is very boring
13.11.2008 - 22:24
DanielViking
I think this is definitly one of the albuns of the year... great songs, lots of great melodies and atmospheres only opeth can create... 10!!!
13.11.2008 - 23:09
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Have i not commented on this?... now i have. this album is very good. not Opeth's best but with this I can tell the next album will be a true masterpiece for me
----
Coldgrits

Hits total: 21013 | This month: 44