Metal Storm logo
Varg Vikernes vs. Euronymous

Poll

Who do you prefer in this battle of the titans?

Count Grishnak (Varg)
Euronymous

Total votes: 128
24.08.2008 - 11:13
Berfones
In 1993 Varg Vikernes went to Euronymous' home and stabed him to death there.
Both Varg and Euronymous had their contribution to the black metal world, but there was a dipute between them, some say it was on finansual background and that Euronymous owed Varg money, but when dead he cannot pay it back I guess...some say it was to out do the murder of a homosexual man the previous year by Emperor's drummer at the time Faust, but the most likely reason is the Euronymous took all the credit for Varg's actions like church burnings and all anti-christian acts and often appologized for all of those, thus weakening the black metal scene and showing them all as idiots.
I for once take Varg's side, he is probably the most influencial man in BM, starting a wave og church burnings and anti-religious acts world wide, on the other hand Euronymous apologized for all of these actions, great musicial he was, but he betrayed his community, and I believe he should have been banned from this community, Varg took it to the extreme, and banned him from the world.
This poll is about who was right, Euronymous for doing what he did, or Varg for stoping him?
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
24.08.2008 - 13:55
^Necrolust^
Written by Berfones on 24.08.2008 at 11:13

Both Varg and Euronymous had their contribution to the black metal world, but there was a dipute between them, some say it was on finansual background and that Euronymous owed Varg money, but when dead he cannot pay it back I guess...some say it was to out do the murder of a homosexual man the previous year by Emperor's drummer at the time Faust, but the most likely reason is the Euronymous took all the credit for Varg's actions like church burnings and all anti-christian acts and often appologized for all of those, thus weakening the black metal scene and showing them all as idiots.
I for once take Varg's side, he is probably the most influencial man in BM, starting a wave og church burnings and anti-religious acts world wide, on the other hand Euronymous apologized for all of these actions, great musicial he was, but he betrayed his community, and I believe he should have been banned from this community, Varg took it to the extreme, and banned him from the world.

And whats wrong with apologizing?
----
Sin my soul,blesses with fire....
24.08.2008 - 14:08
Berfones
Written by ^Necrolust^ on 24.08.2008 at 13:55

Written by Berfones on 24.08.2008 at 11:13

And whats wrong with apologizing?

the hypocracy of it, he was anti christian but apologized for every anti christian act even though he said he supported it
----
24.08.2008 - 14:10
^Necrolust^
Well apologizing for something bad you did against other people,doesn't really make you christian.
----
Sin my soul,blesses with fire....
24.08.2008 - 14:28
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
So what's the poll about? Who was a greater musician or who made a greater contribution in development of BM or ..? And by the way Berfones you should vote when you create a poll. That's the rule... wrathchild's gonna get you
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
24.08.2008 - 15:54
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
As others have said, what is this poll all about? The musicianship, who was right or wrong, or who was more 'krieg'? Please clarify this, or I'll lock it.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
24.08.2008 - 17:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
How is it possible to take Varg's side? He stabbed Euronumous about 20 times, of which a lot were in Euronymous' back, and guess what? Only cowards stabe people in the back
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.08.2008 - 17:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
VOted Euronymous because without him the black metal scene wouldn't be as we know it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.08.2008 - 18:22
Berfones
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.08.2008 at 17:51

How is it possible to take Varg's side? He stabbed Euronumous about 20 times, of which a lot were in Euronymous' back, and guess what? Only cowards stabe people in the back

you do know why Euronymous said he apologized right? because his mother told him to and he feared being arrested or conected to the event

and about the contribution, I think Varg made a bigger mark on BM since he had changed it from music to colture, he was one of the first to really stand behind his words, he gave people the fear of BM, you do not listen or like BM, you are BM
----
24.08.2008 - 18:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
aha we have another Varg fanboy speaking I see.

you're probably one of those that thinks Black metal is war, blood must be shed, hahahaha.
Sorry, to burst your bubble... but BM is like all the other subgenres in metal, you listen to it and like it or not. One cannot be black metal, that is like saying one is power metal, or doom metal, or death metal etc.
And if Varg was black metal than why wasn't he like the first wave black metallers?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.08.2008 - 18:57
Berfones
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.08.2008 at 18:26

aha we have another Varg fanboy speaking I see.

you're probably one of those that thinks Black metal is war, blood must be shed, hahahaha.
Sorry, to burst your bubble... but BM is like all the other subgenres in metal, you listen to it and like it or not. One cannot be black metal, that is like saying one is power metal, or doom metal, or death metal etc.
And if Varg was black metal than why wasn't he like the first wave black metallers?

BM is more than words, it is meaning, I do not think it is war and blood must be shed, but if you say you hate something, do something about it instead of crying about it and this is what I like about BM.
and the first wave of black metal is still more like thrash than black, black metal as it is started in Norway, and not by Venom in the UK, they simply gave the name and maybe started it, but they are not black metal.
by being black metal I mean that you do not just listen to it, you understand it, I think that this is the only or one of the only genres of music that convay a message
----
24.08.2008 - 19:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Mmm, besides Venom there were Mercyful Fate & Bathory (both who weren't from Norway)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.08.2008 - 20:15
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
euronymous was a much larger influence than vargy varg vargersson.

seeing that euronymous contributions well exceeded just musical output with Mayhem paving the way for other bands, being extremely influential with altering the direction of other bands at the time (i.e. Darkthrone), as well as providing the label that put out many of thebands, and the records store that was the hang out point, i'd give him the nod.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.08.2008 - 20:47
Berfones
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.08.2008 at 19:07

Mmm, besides Venom there were Mercyful Fate & Bathory (both who weren't from Norway)

and are still much like thrash than black, I took Venom as example, I know there were many other bands, but all are called BM without really being BM
----
24.08.2008 - 20:50
Berfones
Written by BitterCOld on 24.08.2008 at 20:15

seeing that euronymous contributions well exceeded just musical output with Mayhem paving the way for other bands, being extremely influential with altering the direction of other bands at the time (i.e. Darkthrone), as well as providing the label that put out many of thebands, and the records store that was the hang out point, i'd give him the nod.

some of hin influence is not that good, both in black metal terms and generla terms, he is known for "converting" many BM musicians and fans into satanists, which, if you think about it, is a bit stupid since satan is a religious invention and satanists are anti religious
----
24.08.2008 - 23:16
Hamird
Lieutenant
Musically Euronymous is more talented although Varg has presented many passable and influential albums to black metal scene..
But I don't like non of them for their ideas... Euronymous acted like a communist and Varg still has a unknown idea, but sounds like a Nazi..
Of course music is important to me so I vote for Euronymous...
24.08.2008 - 23:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Voted for Varg...

the Black metal that he created back then was completely different from the rest... Somthing that many still likes and a lot of bands take influences from what Varg did in ther albums.

Euronymous maded also great music... But I just like Burzum way more...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.08.2008 - 20:49
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Berfones on 24.08.2008 at 20:50

Written by BitterCOld on 24.08.2008 at 20:15

some of hin influence is not that good, both in black metal terms and generla terms, he is known for "converting" many BM musicians and fans into satanists, which, if you think about it, is a bit stupid since satan is a religious invention and satanists are anti religious

who cares? that doesn't factor into the music scene - which is why i also avoided that whole NS/Vargsmal thing.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
26.08.2008 - 22:31
Baz Anderson
staff
Written by Berfones on 24.08.2008 at 20:47

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.08.2008 at 19:07

and are still much like thrash than black, I took Venom as example, I know there were many other bands, but all are called BM without really being BM

Have you listened to Bathory lately?

Anyway, I guess this poll is about who was more influential to black metal. I really don't understand how you, or anyway can blindly idolise Varg - what the hell is the point? He stabbed a guy a million times in his back, I don't know about you but that doesn't seem like the kind of person I want to be looking up to.

Varg probably made black metal more controversial than it ever would have been, and so in that respect he could be seen as more influential with regard to the reputation of black metal now.
Musically I will stick to Euronymous.
26.08.2008 - 22:58
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
This whole thing is just very curious to me, Varg stabs the other guy and according to the general opinion here, Euro was more influential musically speaking, so basically Varg killed what black metal could've become musically and how it could've grown. So how can one defend Varg? He kills the musical genius and he kills a person, it's detestable!

I'm not voting, I'm just sharing my thoughts on this, based on what I know and what has been discussed here so far.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
26.08.2008 - 22:59
Berfones
I have listened to Bathory lately, and the first album, from the first wave's time are much more thrash than black so he cannot be called the one who created black metal as we know it today
I do not blinly idolise Varg, I do not idolise anyone (I idolise cats but that's a different story...), and what about Faust? isn't he a good musician because he stabbed someone? Varg made his decisions in life, I do not know if he regrets the murder or not, and it doesn't matter.
just a while ago I posted an article about Hitler, and I live in a jewish country unfortunatly...and I got responses like yours because I presented him as a genius, I know he ordered the murder of millions of people, but he is still a briliant man, and so does Varg (please do not mind the comperison between Varg and Hitler, it can be anyone)
----
26.08.2008 - 23:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Berfones on 26.08.2008 at 22:59

I have listened to Bathory lately, and the first album, from the first wave's time are much more thrash than black so he cannot be called the one who created black metal as we know it today
I do not blinly idolise Varg, I do not idolise anyone (I idolise cats but that's a different story...), and what about Faust? isn't he a good musician because he stabbed someone? Varg made his decisions in life, I do not know if he regrets the murder or not, and it doesn't matter.
just a while ago I posted an article about Hitler, and I live in a jewish country unfortunatly...and I got responses like yours because I presented him as a genius, I know he ordered the murder of millions of people, but he is still a briliant man, and so does Varg (please do not mind the comperison between Varg and Hitler, it can be anyone)

Just out of curiosity what makes Varg a brilliant man in your opinion? Musically he did some really nice things but I wouldn't call him a genius in that field. And on an intellectual level I don't know what to call him, but it is ar from being a genius. Vargsmal proves my point there.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.08.2008 - 10:11
Berfones
I call him brilliant because I have listened to an interview with him, he was simply brilliant there
----
27.08.2008 - 10:27
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Berfones on 27.08.2008 at 10:11

I call him brilliant because I have listened to an interview with him, he was simply brilliant there

Can you provide a link 'cause this Varg vs Euronymous crap is really growing on me..?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
27.08.2008 - 10:55
Berfones
search it on youtube, I don't remember the name of it, I think it's "satan rides the media" but I'm not sure
----
16.11.2008 - 08:21
Metalbound7
Both, they deffended their believes without fear of consecuences, both strong willed men that deserve my admiration. And i don't think Euronymous betrayed them, it was just that he never wanted to do that at all, many Members of the BM escene were obligated by other members like Varg to do so.
16.11.2008 - 10:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
I thought Varg won?:

There was no elaboration so I figured it was fight?

I don't have enough knowledge to vote either way, but judging by the first post it seems this thread is made by someone whos more into the reputation and actions of these artists rather than the actual music. And I honestly just dont give two fucks about these stories. This just reminds me of high school where people would be wearing Mayhem shirts for the shock value and thought it was cool. So its who was right and who was wrong? Does it really fucking matter?

In fact, Im not even sure what the point of this poll is?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.11.2008 - 03:58
Stuart
MiseryKing
Personally, i don't like Euronymous era Mayhem and I can't stand Burzurm... and although Euronymous is supposed to have had the biggest impact on the BM scene, from what i've read and seen about him, he seemed like a bit fraud... Varg may or may not be murderer... he may have slight racial issues and he changes his versions of events and his ideas as often as most people change socks but well he just comes across less fake than Euronymous. Although they both seem like twats to me, thank god they spawned decent BM in their wake...
17.11.2008 - 06:15
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Mmm seeing as how Varg stabbed Euronymous to death, i think the winner is Varg
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
17.11.2008 - 06:54
mortjoyeux
Written by LeChron James on 17.11.2008 at 06:15

Mmm seeing as how Varg stabbed Euronymous to death, i think the winner is Varg

Yeah my thoughts exactly lol.
I still prefer Varg over Euronymous anyways though, even if varg is a twat and a half.
It's all about the music they create, and burzum > mayhem imo.