Metal Storm logo
Varg Vikernes vs. Euronymous

Original post

Posted by Berfones, 24.08.2008 - 11:13
In 1993 Varg Vikernes went to Euronymous' home and stabed him to death there.
Both Varg and Euronymous had their contribution to the black metal world, but there was a dipute between them, some say it was on finansual background and that Euronymous owed Varg money, but when dead he cannot pay it back I guess...some say it was to out do the murder of a homosexual man the previous year by Emperor's drummer at the time Faust, but the most likely reason is the Euronymous took all the credit for Varg's actions like church burnings and all anti-christian acts and often appologized for all of those, thus weakening the black metal scene and showing them all as idiots.
I for once take Varg's side, he is probably the most influencial man in BM, starting a wave og church burnings and anti-religious acts world wide, on the other hand Euronymous apologized for all of these actions, great musicial he was, but he betrayed his community, and I believe he should have been banned from this community, Varg took it to the extreme, and banned him from the world.
This poll is about who was right, Euronymous for doing what he did, or Varg for stoping him?

Poll

Who do you prefer in this battle of the titans?

Count Grishnak (Varg)
Euronymous

Total votes: 128
02.02.2012 - 12:38
Zombie94
Written by I Eat God on 02.02.2012 at 12:11

Euronymous is dead. If E. was trying to tie V. Up or not, it became one side story from V.
Actually i find V. Statement was illogical. if u know someone has a plot to kill u, u will get away from him or call a police, trying not to let the plot / rumour become real. But not going to kill E. in order to solve the problem. Even children know this. V. Stop bullshitting ! You think a musician can be so smart

Actually if you watch documentaries like "Satan Rides The Media" and possibly "Until The Light Takes Us" for example I recall interviews with other black metal artists from the time also saying how Euronymous kept mentioning the kinda weird sadistic deeds Varg says he wanted to do to him.

And yes most people would run away or call the police but most people aren't Varg. In a recent interview he stated that he doesn't really feel bitter about the jail sentence anymore. He said it gave him an opportunity to get a lot of reading and philosophising done. Obviously he did his best to not get caught for murdering Euronymous but it doesn't appear that the prospect of going to jail for over 10 years was the end of the world for him.

Basically, they were both a bit out there. But judging from what other people had to say about Euronymous, the image and cult of personality he tried to create around him and some of his beliefs, I tend to believe that at least parts of Varg's story resemble the actual truth of why he murdered him.
02.02.2012 - 12:59
I knew this thread would be started one day.....*cracks knuckles* Time to chime in.....

I've been fascinated with this incident ever since I first heard of Black Metal. I've come to my own determination of the events pieced together from different interviews and my own gut feelings on the subject.

I don't think you can boil this down to something as trite as who was a real Satanist and who wasn't, or even as a ploy for power within the Black Metal circle that had formed in Oslo. No, I think it is really a matter of pure human psychology.

Before I continue, I would like to point a few things out that I think are important to understand if we are going to discuss this in earnest.

-Oystein Aarseth was known by both Jorn and original drummer Kejtl (I know I spelled his name wrong) as a straight A student who was respectful of his parents. He worked out, didn't smoke and didn't drink. His personality changed as Mayhem became more and more popular. However, according to members of Mayhem, he could not live out his "Black Metal Leader" role around them. Hence Helvete and the Black Metal Circle.
-Oystein was initially very fascinated with Varg; his ideas and his talent. It would only make sense that he would want his first album produced on Deathlike Silence Productions, his very own record label. As is known now Oystein was not business minded at all and so, according to Varg he actually loaned Oystein the money needed to produce the records. After selling them all, again according to Varg, he never paid him back. So Varg decided to do it all himself and say fuck Oystein altogether. Odd, considering that at the time he also agreed to play bass for Mayhem after Jorn's brief departure over Oystein's photographing of Dead's..er...dead..body.
-Varg and Oystein weren't the ones burning churches. This was being done by outsiders seeking acceptance within the Black Metal Circle, as it were. The only burning that supposedly involved Oystein and Varg was one in which they were part of a larger group. This was done following the return of Faust (of Emperor) to Oslo after he had killed a homosexual man making advances on him.
-Varg states that he admitted to the church burnings as a publicity stunt to promote Black Metal and Helvete. He says this was a plan that both he and Oystein agreed upon. Oystein's reaction to Varg's interview would seem to show otherwise. However, according to Varg, Oystein was following the wishes of his parents who did not like the attention to their son's store after the interview was released. This is another odd statement, considering that after Oystein's death his parents were shocked upon hearing about what he was actually up to. They had no idea what Mayhem, the Black Metal Circle, or Helvete were really about until after his death.
-After the interview, Oystein went around telling everyone that Varg was "commercializing" the movement and that he "had to go." No doubt he made death threats.

Now, with all this being understood it is easy to draw a line in middle of this tumultuous ground and put together a sort of series of events.

In my mind Varg and Oystein were initially drawn to each other due to what seemed like similar interests. But at some point Varg saw Oystein for what he really was; a nerd trying to find his place in a movement that he had started but maybe didn't truly understand. I believe that Varg saw Oystein as pretending to be an extremist, whereas Varg considered himself the real deal.

I think that all of the above mentioned events only continued to deepen a divide that started with that initial realization on Varg's part. I also believe that at this point Varg began to sow seeds of discontent by voicing these beliefs to others. This could not have sat well with Oystein. At some point Varg poked a huge hole in the fantasy he had been living. He exposed him for what he truly was, and because of this, Oystein wanted him gone for good. Then came the infamous death threats about torturing Varg and videotaping it. I can only imagine Oystein saying this to nods of approval from young impressionable members of his inner circle. Do I think he was sincere? Partially. But I don't believe that he would ever find the courage to do it, and I don't think he even had any real plans or designs on the matter.

However, Varg heard of these threats. He states that he meant to drive to Oslo to tell Oystein to simply "fuck off" and that Oystein was using a "false pretense" about a unsigned contract (remember, Varg had just finished playing bass for the recording of Mayhem's first official record) to get him to Oslo in the first place. Upon arriving he said that he went to his home and knocked on his door, telling him he was there for the contract. When Oystein answered, Varg asserts that he asked him "what are you planning?" He then says that Oystein kicked him, to which Varg drew his boot knife. After this, Oystein ran for a kitchen knife, which Varg stopped him from getting and stabbed him a few times. A chase began, with Varg stabbing Oystein in the back multiple times, before, as Varg tells it, Oystein crashed into a light or something of that nature and fell onto broken glass. After this, he says that Oystein stood up saying "Enough" before kicking Varg one last time. Varg states that he killed Oystein with one last fatal stab through his forehead, killing him instantly.

The DA however had a different story, built from the crime scene and autopsy, that Oystein Aarseth was killed from behind. It is hard to believe that anyone with any amount of adrenaline could force a boot knife through someone's skull. I don't buy this part of the tale. In fact it seems too perfect.

I think that Varg had every intention to kill Oystein that night. I believe that it is evident in that any normal person would not chase someone down after they were obviously trying to escape them. The fight was "won". However Varg states that, in that moment of heat and violent passion, that he was thinking clearly enough to still reason that if Oystein lived he might try and kill Varg or send someone to do it for him. I don't buy that either.

The murder was premeditated. Oystein was not the Black Metal Leader everyone thought he was but according to Varg he wasn't interested in that role himself. This was simply the case of one man's fantasy being ruined by a stronger personality in my opinion. In this case Oystein picked a bad enemy because I also do not believe that Varg Vikernes has any sort of conscience what so ever. It is evident in the casual, comical manner in which he speaks of his murder of Oystein. I believe that Varg is an extremist in many respects, but not necessarily someone who would commit murder simply for status. To someone like Varg, it was a simple matter of logic. To the rest of us, we can see it for the heinous crime it was.

Now, for the choice of the personality/legend/musical talent I will side with Euronymous on this one. He had the eccentricity and internal struggle that all great artists (Mozart, Picasso, Jimi Hendrix) have had. I believe he was barely scratching the surface of his talent. Varg on the other hand, talented though he may be, doesn't seem to have lived up to the promise of the great Black Metal musician we all thought he would.

Oystein Aarseth
March 22, 1969 - August 10, 1993
The man has died but the legend will live forever...LONG LIVE EURONYMOUS!!
02.02.2012 - 14:34
Zombie94
Written by I Eat God on 02.02.2012 at 13:22

You are too emotional. In civilzed country we talk about rights,proof and the law. Treatening is a felony, V. Can easily charged E. For that, E. Could be in jail due to such remarks. Furtheore, no one will tell other people he wanted to kill someone (to create proof for the police ?) to me it was more like a prank, a joke. 18 years is the right decision from the court.

Too emotional? What are you talking about?

I'm not saying Varg didn't deserve to go to jail for murdering Euronymous. I just don't buy any of the theories that he did it for popularity or because he was jealous of Euronymous.
02.02.2012 - 15:33
Warman
Erotic Stains
The dude who eats God is awesome! I don't know why suddenly the nine satanic statements was posted, but hey, I'm always up for some LaVey!
----
02.02.2012 - 15:56
Warman
Erotic Stains
Oh okay... ehm... well... great!
I really don't know what to answer.
----
02.02.2012 - 16:02
ANGEL REAPER
Varg vs Euronymous ...now thats a truly a a metal battle
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
02.02.2012 - 16:16
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by I Eat God on 02.02.2012 at 16:05

You don't have to give anyone any goddamn answer anymore. As from today onward, you are your own new God ! Cheers.

Yeah dude, you don't have to explain the thesis for me. I was really into that LaVey shit when I was teen. Even though I like his thoughts and all, I today prefer to take in some of that without calling myself a satanist or GOD.
----
02.02.2012 - 16:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Meh... When it comes to stuff like that. I preffer to quote Epicurus and get over it.

----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.02.2012 - 18:51
Zombie94
I'm confused...first you say " God knows" and then you go on to list the beliefs of Satanism and how it frees the spirit etc. Are you a Satanist or a Christian? And what does any of this preaching have to do with the subject?
02.02.2012 - 19:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by I Eat God on 02.02.2012 at 18:52

There are few millions of christian lke you, not willing to think, not even think if things in the bible is 100 % logical. Once, I got a friend tried to preached me, he says " How do we prove that human being is made by the God ?, you see everything in the world is made by somebody, for example car, tv, furniture....so, IT IS LOGICAL human being is made by someone....namely The God. From that day onwards, i decided not to believe in God. He is a bad preacher.

Epicurus is indeed a weirdo. He says, God is not capable to prevent evil, and he is not willing to do so. Then what is the credit of being a God ?? (sorry I never read bible, i really dont understand it)

Okay... First: Where the fuck in my post did you get the thought I was christian? Seriously? Do you read?
Because I'm not, far from it. Also... Epicurus is a greek philosopher, nothing to do with the bible or christianity AT ALL. The quote is actually an attack against the belief in a god..... and you confuse it with bible? I'm sorry but I can't help but wonder if you actually read people's comments before posting.
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.02.2012 - 19:56
Zombie94
Written by I Eat God on 02.02.2012 at 19:23

"God knows" is somewhat like "oh,my God", does not mean only christian can use that. It depends "which God" you believe in. Satan can be somebody's God too. If you ask such question means the belief of The God in the Holy Bible is "The Only Gold" kind of theory the root is running too deep in you. You have a potential to be a good Christian.

You did not Read Between The Lines...........
1) I mean what you read in the bible is only one side story, it is not fair. So....Varg is like Jesus telling one side story !
2) Satan never say bad things about The God and Jesus (he only refute their theories).....so Euro. is like Satan (in fact even he want to, but not able to...as he is a dead man).

Therefore, if you are a Christian, you will believe Varg (believe in one side story). If you are a satanic you will believe in Euro.
The Judge did not believe in Varg, sentenced him 18 years.
Hence, The Court is a Satanic Church, the judge is a Satanic.
In another words, The Law is Satanic Law ! If you think the law we practice nowadays is fair and bring justice to Euro., then you have to believe in Satan.

Got it ?

I am not a Christian nor have I ever read the Bible, and there is no "root" of Christianity running deep in me (I am an athiest), I just misread what you said.

The suggestion that you have to be a Satanist to believe in our system of justice and you have to be a Christian to believe Varg's story is utter bollox.

All I've gathered from this is that you're either a Theistic Satanist (in which case I believe you are an absolute moron) or you're just talking absolute nonsense for the sake of it and to piss of some Christians. Either way you sound ridiculous and I'll bid you good day.
02.02.2012 - 20:21
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Let's keep this on track...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.02.2012 - 21:08
Written by I Eat God on 02.02.2012 at 19:23

Written by Zombie94 on 02.02.2012 at 18:51

I'm confused...first you say " God knows" and then you go on to list the beliefs of Satanism and how it frees the spirit etc. Are you a Satanist or a Christian? And what does any of this preaching have to do with the subject?

"God knows" is somewhat like "oh,my God", does not mean only christian can use that. It depends "which God" you believe in. Satan can be somebody's God too. If you ask such question means the belief of The God in the Holy Bible is "The Only Gold" kind of theory the root is running too deep in you. You have a potential to be a good Christian.

You did not Read Between The Lines...........
1) I mean what you read in the bible is only one side story, it is not fair. So....Varg is like Jesus telling one side story !
2) Satan never say bad things about The God and Jesus (he only refute their theories).....so Euro. is like Satan (in fact even he want to, but not able to...as he is a dead man).

Therefore, if you are a Christian, you will believe Varg (believe in one side story). If you are a satanic you will believe in Euro.
The Judge did not believe in Varg, sentenced him 18 years.
Hence, The Court is a Satanic Church, the judge is a Satanic.
In another words, The Law is Satanic Law ! If you think the law we practice nowadays is fair and bring justice to Euro., then you have to believe in Satan.

Got it ?

So does the fact that I'm not a Satanist but yet think Euronymous was the more interesting artist that I would have liked to have seen live longer and keep creating art completely kill your theory?? Yes, yes it does. I also didn't know that Satanists liked to blast their views all over the place when it wasn't welcome nor part of the original topic...I thought that was something only Christians do. By the way...your logic is astoundingly hilarious. I think I about wet myself and almost spit my Coke all over the computer screen when I read your conclusion on how all laws are somehow Satanic due to "not believing in one-sided story." I figured it was just common fucking sense not to do so but thanks for enlightening me.
02.02.2012 - 21:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by IncoherentScream on 02.02.2012 at 21:08
feeding the troll...

...is what you are doing

I recommend you to not do that again since Craig's post was clear enough
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.02.2012 - 21:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Euronymous, for the reason given below:

Written by IncoherentScream on 02.02.2012 at 12:59
Now, for the choice of the personality/legend/musical talent I will side with Euronymous on this one. He had the eccentricity and internal struggle that all great artists (Mozart, Picasso, Jimi Hendrix) have had. I believe he was barely scratching the surface of his talent. Varg on the other hand, talented though he may be, doesn't seem to have lived up to the promise of the great Black Metal musician we all thought he would.
02.02.2012 - 21:31
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.02.2012 at 21:18

Written by IncoherentScream on 02.02.2012 at 21:08
feeding the troll...

...is what you are doing

I recommend you to not do that again since Craig's post was clear enough

Yes I was but I couldn't resist, that shit was too funny...somebody had to comment! Right???

Ok, ok...you're right. I'll stop beating up on the "special" kids. BACK TO THE DEBATE AT HAND!!!!!!
02.02.2012 - 21:32
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 02.02.2012 at 21:24

I have to say I agree.... But I still have some problems with Euro because I always get the feeling that he would have tried to make BM as underground as possible and therefore... making it extremly hard to get which is bad. I also question how he would shape BM and Mayhem if he was still alive. Sometimes I think he wouldn't change anything and for him BM would be just a philosophy matter and he would only promote bands that pretty much sounds the same in the long run which is...(you guessed right)...bad.

I'm fully aware this is a "what if" opinion but it's just the vibe I get from the dude.
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.02.2012 - 21:43
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.02.2012 at 21:32
I have to say I agree.... But I still have some problems with Euro because I always get the feeling that he would have tried to make BM as underground as possible and therefore... making it extremly hard to get which is bad. I also question how he would shape BM and Mayhem if he was still alive. Sometimes I think he wouldn't change anything and for him BM would be just a philosophy matter and he would only promote bands that pretty much sounds the same in the long run which is...(you guessed right)...bad.

I'm fully aware this is a "what if" opinion but it's just the vibe I get from the dude.

I'd like to think that Euronymous was growing out of that mindset, or eventually would have. I get the feeling that maturity would have changed him more radically as a person, than it appears to have done with Varg. In any case, I think Euronymous had more natural talent than Varg. Though whether his mindset would have ever allowed that to bloom to it's full potential, I'm not quite sure...
02.02.2012 - 21:47
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.02.2012 at 21:32

Written by Angelic Storm on 02.02.2012 at 21:24

I totally get that and I've had that thought more than once when discussing Euronymous. But I think he would have changed. His "real" personality was so far removed from what he put out there that I think he would have eventually matured. This could be wishful thinking, as the scenario you described is highly likely. But after hearing interviews from those who really did know him best I have a feeling that Helvete and Deathlike Silence Productions would have eventually just went down the shitter due to his horrible business plans and ideas, leaving him with nothing but the music, as it should be. He would have been just as bat fuck crazy sounding/acting to this day, but I think that he would just come off as an eccentric personality/elitist who, hopefully, would be able to back up his crazy talk with badass music. Now we're just left with Varg....

On the other hand, and this is going to sound kind of horrible, but without his death Black Metal would have never gotten the coverage it did and hence would never have blown up the way it did either. I guess we all sort of benefited from it...which sucks but is kind of true. So I'm not necessarily going to thank the crazy-in-a-not-so-cool-or-imaginative way Varg but rather call it Oystein Aarseth's last gift to the world in opening up the Black Metal world to all of us. Maybe looking at it like that doesn't make sense but it's the only way I can turn his death into a positive without looking like I support or condone Varg's actions.
02.02.2012 - 21:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 02.02.2012 at 21:43

I'd like to think that Euronymous was growing out of that mindset, or eventually would have.

Yeah, I would like to think that too!
I guess I'm just a bit biased because I just remembered a conversation I had with a dude a couple of years younger than me who is quite a fanboy.... and I just thought it was kind of a moron comment when he said that he would have loved to see Euro alive so BM could have been underground forever.

... and while I was looking at him I just couldn't stop thinkin of the big chances there are that he would have never know about Black Metal at all if it was kept underground from the very beginning to the present. Or that at least it would be a pain in the ass to get some access.
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.02.2012 - 21:55
Slayer666
Drunken posting is fairly common on MS, but I think the I Eat God guy is the first ever to post while being high as a kite.
02.02.2012 - 21:59
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.02.2012 at 21:50

Written by Angelic Storm on 02.02.2012 at 21:43

I'd like to think that Euronymous was growing out of that mindset, or eventually would have.

Yeah, I would like to think that too!
I guess I'm just a bit biased because I just remembered a conversation I had with a dude a couple of years younger than me who is quite a fanboy.... and I just thought it was kind of a moron comment when he said that he would have loved to see Euro alive so BM could have been underground forever.

... and while I was looking at him I just couldn't stop thinkin of the big chances there are that he would have never know about Black Metal at all if it was kept underground from the very beginning to the present. Or that at least it would be a pain in the ass to get some access.

That's pretty funny actually. I don't think that a genre of music should ever be judged on it's popularity. Black Metal started as an underground movement, but hell so did just about every other genre we know and love today as well. If anything it actually should speak volumes about the quality of the genre itself that it has gotten as big as it has. I can't understand the mindset that something has to be unheard of to be cool.

But on that note, I think that Oystein kept Black Metal underground because it suited his personal needs, not because he thought it made the music better. Jorn has stated that he believes that Oystein dreamed of being a dictator in some sort third world country. This was obviously not within his grasp but controlling the Black Metal scene was. It let him play out a role as leader. Probably due to the fact that he felt ostracized in other social settings and wanted to gain a feeling of domination and superiority over others, or perhaps one day those he saw as his tormentors. But, like AngelicStorm, I see him as growing out of this phase. In fact, I think he already was around the time he was killed. Many who knew him well used the word "nerd" to describe him, and I think Black Metal made him feel cool. Eventually, as I said before, I think he would have found the music to be the most important thing and dropped all the other pretenses. Too bad we'll never know.
02.02.2012 - 22:00
Written by Slayer666 on 02.02.2012 at 21:55

Drunken posting is fairly common on MS, but I think the I Eat God guy is the first ever to post while being high as a kite.

Just ignore him and stay very, very still...his vision is based on movement....
02.02.2012 - 22:27
Zombie94
To bring this slightly back on topic, would I be right in thinking Euronymous himself only actually performed on one EP, and that was it? Deathcrush I mean of course. I know he wrote a lot of stuff for De Myseriis Dom Sathanas but wasn't that recorded after his death?
02.02.2012 - 22:45
Zombie94
No I mean I keep seeing people mentioning that Euro had much more talent then Varg but I'm wondering where they get that from because I've only heard him play on about 4 or 5 songs (assuming that was all he played on). And I don't think that's much material to judge all of his talent on. Varg has never been a particularly technically talented musician but as an artist I've always liked his work. I do credit Euro with creating the archetypical black metal guitar style though.
02.02.2012 - 22:56
Zombie94
Written by I Eat God on 02.02.2012 at 22:53

Written by Zombie94 on 02.02.2012 at 22:45

No I mean I keep seeing people mentioning that Euro had much more talent then Varg but I'm wondering where they get that from because I've only heard him play on about 4 or 5 songs (assuming that was all he played on). And I don't think that's much material to judge all of his talent on. Varg has never been a particularly technically talented musician but as an artist I've always liked his work. I do credit Euro with creating the archetypical black metal guitar style though.

As Euro was the pioneer of Black Metal, a lot of MB band members were discovered and supported by him initially (like Emperor). Until today most of the BM bands are copying his style. I think the only person can compete with Euro is Abbath of Immortal. You really have to get a copy of Immortal- In The Heart of Winter !

I'd rate Abbath as far ahead of Euro in terms of skill. Euro invented the style and Abbath perfected it in my opinion.

And yes that album is an absolute classic. Best black metal album I've listened to yet, along with Emperor's 'Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk'.
02.02.2012 - 23:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I keep seeing people mentioning that Euro had much more talent then Varg but I'm wondering where they get that from because I've only heard him play on about 4 or 5 songs (assuming that was all he played on).

...and I'm wondering where did you get the idea that Euro just did 4-5 songs. He was basically the band from the beginning to De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas with Dead taking care of the lyrics.
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.02.2012 - 23:02
vezzy
Stallmanite
At least with Euro's death, Swedish death metal bands could sleep peacefully at night.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
02.02.2012 - 23:11
Zombie94
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.02.2012 at 23:02

I keep seeing people mentioning that Euro had much more talent then Varg but I'm wondering where they get that from because I've only heard him play on about 4 or 5 songs (assuming that was all he played on).

...and I'm wondering where did you get the idea that Euro just did 4-5 songs. He was basically the band from the beginning to De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas with Dead taking care of the lyrics.

There is only one album before De Mysterris and that is Deathcrush, which only has 6 songs, including a drum intro. That's where I get the idea.
02.02.2012 - 23:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Zombie94 on 02.02.2012 at 23:11
There is only one album before De Mysterris and that is Deathcrush, which only has 6 songs, including a drum intro. That's where I get the idea.

But he worked fully on DMDS too, the other guitarist at the time ( Blackthorn) only did a couple of riffs.
----
Rod, let me love you.