Metal Storm logo
Varg Vikernes vs. Euronymous

Original post

Posted by Berfones, 24.08.2008 - 11:13
In 1993 Varg Vikernes went to Euronymous' home and stabed him to death there.
Both Varg and Euronymous had their contribution to the black metal world, but there was a dipute between them, some say it was on finansual background and that Euronymous owed Varg money, but when dead he cannot pay it back I guess...some say it was to out do the murder of a homosexual man the previous year by Emperor's drummer at the time Faust, but the most likely reason is the Euronymous took all the credit for Varg's actions like church burnings and all anti-christian acts and often appologized for all of those, thus weakening the black metal scene and showing them all as idiots.
I for once take Varg's side, he is probably the most influencial man in BM, starting a wave og church burnings and anti-religious acts world wide, on the other hand Euronymous apologized for all of these actions, great musicial he was, but he betrayed his community, and I believe he should have been banned from this community, Varg took it to the extreme, and banned him from the world.
This poll is about who was right, Euronymous for doing what he did, or Varg for stoping him?

Poll

Who do you prefer in this battle of the titans?

Count Grishnak (Varg)
Euronymous

Total votes: 128
11.02.2012 - 23:30
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.02.2012 at 23:21

Oh yeah, I didn't reallu notice that part... and I agree with you, it sounds a bit tasteless.

Actually, having re-read the ludicrous OP, it's no surprise to see tasteless comments here given people have been asked to vote if they think Varg was 'right' to kill Euronymous! How is that even debatable?
----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
2022 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7001
2021 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6742
11.02.2012 - 23:35
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.02.2012 at 23:11
Thing is... that I'm pretty sure Euronymous whould have liked the genre to stay as ridiculously underground as possible... thus, making experimentations with genre hardly possible. This is pure speculation but I don't see it as something so unlikely.

He would have liked it to stay as underground as possible.

Doesn't mean people wouldn't have given him the finger and told him they'll do whatever they want. There would have always been someone to stand up, even if it meant Euronymous trying to kill you and film it on home video for the direct-to-DVD shelf in Blockbuster.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
11.02.2012 - 23:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by vezzy on 11.02.2012 at 23:35
He would have liked it to stay as underground as possible.

Well, duh. Off course it would lose the pure underground status in the end but if he was alive it would have been a bit different, at least in the older days when internet wasn't as used as it is today.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.02.2012 - 23:45
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.02.2012 at 23:39
Well, duh. Off course it would lose the pure underground status in the end but if he was alive it would have been a bit different, at least in the older days when internet wasn't as used as it is today.

You know, history would have been way different if the so-called "Black Metal Inner Circle" was a bunch of crazy Norwegian kids posting shit on IRC and BBS. Hell, maybe Varg could have learned some BASIC and wrote a "Burn Down the Church" text-adventure RPG.

Perhaps. Fear always plays a pivotal role.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
12.02.2012 - 00:04
Except that Euronymous did advance as a musician. You can hear that on Live in Leipzig. Playing the early Deathcrush material sandwiched in with the De Mysteriis stuff you can hear a big difference. As one reviewer of the album so aptly put it; "You can hear an entire genre being created on stage." People sometimes forget that the material from De Mysteriis existed for a minute before it was released as an official full length. So, in that light, yes; Euronymous did advance his art beyond what it started out as. It's not hard to imagine him advancing it further and changing his sound even more had he lived. He wanted to keep the "scene" of BM as closed and underground as possible yes but there was already bands in South America evolving very similarly and Darkthrone was releasing their shit on Peaceville for fucks sake. This music would have gotten around to the rest of the world whether Euro liked it or not and I don't think that him labeling a band as being "false" or "non-true" would have stopped anybody from listening to them or buying their records. BM was already getting too big for him to control and he realized that, transposing all his anger and blame for that on Varg. At least IMO that is what he did. I think Varg is sort of too far off the deep end for real for people to connect to his music in any substantial way. I think his albums are technically astounding and his first three LPs especially get rotation on my table frequently. The only thing is it doesn't feel alive the way Euro's work did....and still does even to this day. That shit is like 440 volts running through my veins whenever I hear it. Varg may be the brains of the BM scene as far as influence on others that came after is concerned, but Euro was the fucking heart and soul. That is why I will always side with his art over Varg's in any discussion concerning the two.
12.07.2012 - 20:50
GrayWiZZarD
Account deleted
I think Euronymous never had the same principles as Varg.. Varg stood up for what he believed in and burned the churches down and i give him respect for that
12.07.2012 - 22:01
Sync
Account deleted
Well, we never know what Euronymous could have done. But I don't like Varg tbh, his neo-nazi/paganism views are just utter bullshit. So who would win in a battle? Hmm... I just can't stand Euronymous' wispy mustache. It's just awful!
13.07.2012 - 16:22
axelx666
I HATE varg vikerners, in my opinion he's a waste of flesh....

he's the benedict arnold of black metal, he killed dead,euronymous and broke up mayhem!
the dude is insane.

but that's all in my opinion.
----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
15.07.2012 - 05:56
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by axelx666 on 13.07.2012 at 16:22

I HATE varg vikerners,

he killed dead

he killed dead

(Sorry OBC, but no words could express my amount of WTF)
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.07.2012 - 12:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite

he killed dead

I think you better read up on how Dead died.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.07.2012 - 15:02
IronAngel
I'm pretty sure nobody uses those two smilies as much as Marcel does.

That is about the smartest thing I can say concerning this topic.
15.07.2012 - 15:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by IronAngel on 15.07.2012 at 15:02

That is about the smartest thing I can say concerning this topic.

btw I also use and a lot. I think is number one and is number two on my most used smilies list and it's a tie between and
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.07.2012 - 15:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.07.2012 at 15:16
btw I also use and a lot. I think is number one and is number two on my most used smilies list and it's a tie between and

Also the " " one is used mostly after a post by K7 or sometimes Cynic dude.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.07.2012 - 16:25
axelx666
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.07.2012 at 12:59

he killed dead

i know how dead died, he didn't kill him literally, but he gave dead the shotgun,that dead used to commit suicide. therefore he helped dead kill himself.
----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
15.07.2012 - 16:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by axelx666 on 15.07.2012 at 16:25

i know how dead died, he didn't kill him literally, but he gave dead the shotgun,that dead used to commit suicide. therefore he helped dead kill himself.

extremely far-fetched reasoning. Dead would have killed himself regardless. The guy was suicidal nutter who had tried to off himself before.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.07.2012 - 04:31
Guib
Thrash Talker
Is this thread a joke ? cuz I did laugh eh eh eh !

anyways we all know who did won
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
22.07.2012 - 20:14
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 12.07.2012 at 20:50

I think Euronymous never had the same principles as Varg.. Varg stood up for what he believed in and burned the churches down and i give him respect for that

Dude, Varg is a crazed psychopath... sorry if I don't respect insane murderers and church burners. Don't get me wrong, I don't care bout religion
but this doesn't mean I have to fucking burn down churches its fucking useless.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
22.07.2012 - 21:30
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Dammn! what was been asked and what you guys are upto? Seems it started who gonna be a main competitor for a battle of titans and now atm it's going like "Dude, shut up! Euronymous was better 'cause he used to ules or Varg burn down the fucking churches and that shows his BM scene stratified, I think he's much better" or more of something. It's all about crashing down your opinions of who is better or not. Eh?!

Now, let me tell you something.

Euronymous: An egoistical fucktard black metal guitarist who was catapulted in his smug life and was evolved around by himself only. He use to bark about "I made a Black Metal and I rose this fucking scene" or " I am a deadly atheist who has an insane fan following of what you guys can never ever imagined". "I am a Black Metal". He was one of the controversial kid around.

Verg: Insane Iconoclast. Burning down a churches was his daily hobby and an elitist who dribbed in BM scene horribly. Nothing else.

Having said that, i'll choose OTHER. But, definitely no to Euronymous or Varg.
22.07.2012 - 23:55
Lit.
Account deleted
Conclusion: They both suck. It's good that one's dead and the other's in prison.
22.07.2012 - 23:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 22.07.2012 at 23:55

the other's in prison.

Umm....
23.07.2012 - 00:40
Mattybu
Written by Guest on 22.07.2012 at 23:57

the other's in prison.

Umm....

Maybe give him the benefit of a doubt and assume that "other's" is short for "other was"?

Lit - he's out of prison and frequently updating his facebook page with pictures of him wearing silly outfits.
23.07.2012 - 00:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Mattybu on 23.07.2012 at 00:40

Maybe give him the benefit of a doubt and assume that "other's" is short for "other was"?

I'm not sure my benefit giving can stretch that far.
23.07.2012 - 00:44
Mattybu
Written by Guest on 23.07.2012 at 00:42

I'm not sure my benefit giving can stretch that far.

Maybe he invented a time machine and actually wrote that message in the time period when Varg was in prison.

(Lit if you have a time machine I would like to use it please)
23.07.2012 - 01:13
Lit.
Account deleted

Lit - he's out of prison and frequently updating his facebook page with pictures of him wearing silly outfits.

My bad. If I hate the guy, then I'm obviously not gonna follow his facebook page. Or anything he's doing rather.

No I don't have a time machine. Believe me if I did, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I'd probably be having it with your grandpa but not you.
23.07.2012 - 01:26
Mattybu
Written by Guest on 23.07.2012 at 01:13

My bad. If I hate the guy, then I'm obviously not gonna follow his facebook page. Or anything he's doing rather.

No I don't have a time machine. Believe me if I did, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I'd probably be having it with your grandpa but not you.

If I had a time machine I would show Jesus Reign In Blood and he would be like, wow, this is awesome.

And yeah if you aren't his biggest fan it's an understandable mistake not knowing he was released from prison. Anyone who is a fan of Burzum on facebook is treated to the occasional picture of him wearing goofy gandalf type outifits. His music is alright, definitely not a big Burzum fan but I like some of it, but yeah, Varg seems like a serious asshole.
23.07.2012 - 12:04
GrayWiZZarD
Account deleted

Conclusion: They both suck. It's good that one's dead and the other's in prison.

Varg is out of prison
23.07.2012 - 15:28
Sync
Account deleted
Just went back to see if I can get into Varg's music.

I can say it didn't go too well, since I'm still only liking his Dark Ambient stuff :/
08.08.2012 - 12:55
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by axelx666 on 15.07.2012 at 16:25

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.07.2012 at 12:59

he killed dead

He didn't give Dead the shotgun, he gave him the ammo. I doubt Varg would have known what it would be used for. Dead already had the gun.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
08.08.2012 - 17:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.07.2012 at 16:26

extremely far-fetched reasoning. Dead would have killed himself regardless. The guy was suicidal nutter who had tried to off himself before.

I guess Dylan Carlson killed Kurt Cobain then.
08.08.2012 - 19:55
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 08.08.2012 at 17:04

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.07.2012 at 16:26

I guess Dylan Carlson killed Kurt Cobain then.

No no... Im pretty sure Dead and Kurt both killed themselves.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here