Only to try, if i like it i'll buy it
Yes, I can't afford the cd's
Yes, I usually can't find cd's here
No, I must support the artist

Total votes: 174
26.08.2008 - 22:05
Valentin B
Iconoclast
new thread, this time with more specific options(guess these options pretty much cover it all). please explain why you chose one of them. i do download, but i am exempt from all you purist's accusations, because (unlike people in wealthier countries!) i really cannot afford any cd most of the times, and i'm short of money usually, i'd be broke all the time if i wanted to buy all the downloaded stuff i have. so (yes, it's true, that's the only album i own) the one album in my collection is really the only metal album i have in my house(apart maybe for my dad's Queen vinyls but that's another story), it's a remastered edition which i got for a small price relative to the rest of the albums' prices, about 10$. but the rest of Priest's catalogue are either the same price or higher, so it would cost me around 150-200$ to get their entire discography. that's about half the normal salary...
26.08.2008 - 23:35
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I usually can't afford the Cds but when I can I buy. If it wasn't for dowloading I wouldn'have so much music. I'll get to buy eventually anyway...
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
26.08.2008 - 23:45
Warman
Erotic Stains
I hate to download, I really do. The only times I download stuff is when I wanna hear stuff from bands I am going to see live, like supporting acts and such I haven't heard before. I love to have the whole album in my hand with everything. I love to walk around my favourite album shops and look at every CD in there. Decide for hours what I should buy and come home with just one CD.
Haha I guess that's why some old members here "bullied" me when I was new here. Since I rarely download I hadn't heard as much Metal as most people here, so I really was a newbie. And as we all know, according to our 101 rules: The more bands you know, the cooler you are!
----
26.08.2008 - 23:45
routa
Account deleted
You're missing one option, some people just like to actually have the cds in their shelves instead just a pile of bits on a hard drive. It doesn't necessarily have to do anything with supporting the artist.
26.08.2008 - 23:46
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Guest on 26.08.2008 at 23:45

You're missing one option, some people just like to actually have the cds in their shelves instead just a pile of bits on a hard drive. It doesn't necessarily have to do anything with supporting the artist.

True!
----
26.08.2008 - 23:48
brapp32
I'm in the middle of choices 2 and 3. I have a lot of loyalty to the bands I listen to. I try to support them in every way possible. But I will have a friend check something if I'm not familiar with it. If I like it I'll buy it that same day.
26.08.2008 - 23:50
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 26.08.2008 at 23:45

well, this is a thread about downloading, so if you don't download, it's pretty much the same thing if you just want cd's or want to support the band.
27.08.2008 - 01:47
Oracle
Orcinus
I download sometimes but only to see if a band i am not sure about is good or not. I like to buy my albums because its good having them in the cd collection. Also I never download music from my favourite bands as I like to buy the album first and listen to it rather than downloading and seeing if its any good before i buy it.
27.08.2008 - 02:12
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 27.08.2008 at 02:02

How come this poll doesn't just have a "Yes" option? It's not a moral or financial issue with me. It's just a better way to get music.

It's not better. maximum easier, cheaper or faster but not better. I rather hold a disc in my hands than watch icons on my computer's monitor!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
27.08.2008 - 02:50
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I download for two reasons:

1. I have no job, so I can't buy any CDs
2. I can't find any of the albums I want in my town

The only times I do get new albums to put on my shelf is during special occasions such as my birthday or Christmas.
27.08.2008 - 02:57
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 27.08.2008 at 02:41

Written by Janne on 27.08.2008 at 02:12

Written by Guest on 27.08.2008 at 02:02

How come this poll doesn't just have a "Yes" option? It's not a moral or financial issue with me. It's just a better way to get music.

It's not better. maximum easier, cheaper or faster but not better. I rather hold a disc in my hands than watch icons on my computer's monitor!

Yes it is better. It's, as you said, easier, faster and cheaper (free). If you're not looking for music, but rather a disc with art on it, may I suggest......vinyl?

buying a CD is not looking for a disc with art on it, it's looking for music! It just more with a disc with art on it.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
27.08.2008 - 03:21
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 27.08.2008 at 03:16

And once again I'd like to request that there be simply a "YES" option on the poll, because I support downloading in every way, it's not something I'm forced to do.

I think what we were talking about is 2 different things. I agree whit you and I also prefer the process of dowloading to get new music but if you see the result of it, having an original disc is much more better!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
27.08.2008 - 04:35
Fhuesc
It's a mix between i can't afford the and usually can't find cd's here.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
27.08.2008 - 07:03
Iron Priest
Written by Guest on 27.08.2008 at 03:29

Written by Janne on 27.08.2008 at 03:21

Written by Guest on 27.08.2008 at 03:16

And once again I'd like to request that there be simply a "YES" option on the poll, because I support downloading in every way, it's not something I'm forced to do.

I think what we were talking about is 2 different things. I agree whit you and I also prefer the process of dowloading to get new music but if you see the result of it, having an original disc is much more better!

That's a subjective view though. I don't think cluttering my living space with yet another jewel case is in any way better than just taking up some space on my computer's hard drive. That's how I view buying CD's - a waste of space.

Not that you shouldn't enjoy the novelty.

So what your saying is even if it's your favourite band you wouldn't support them. Do you not want them to continue making the music that you love.
27.08.2008 - 15:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Sound quality is superior on vinyl and cd's when compared to downloading.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.08.2008 - 00:41
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.08.2008 at 15:28

Agreed, but it is similar to HDTV, some people can't even tell the difference...
I am a CD collector so I will buy the album, rip it to my pc, transfer the songs to my ipod, and shelf the disc in my collection. I only ever buy from online sellers because I think stores are unnecessary and excessive with prices (in relation to what percentage the artist actually sees from album sales)... if I can buy an album directly from the artist, via website, why wouldn't I?
28.08.2008 - 07:11
selken
Irreligious
I use to download some of them on iTunes, for example, I bought 3 Dark Tranquillity's albums and downloaded the rest.

I don't buy physical CD's at all as they are too difficult to transport, how can I get 100 CD's with me everyday to the work? instead of an iPod xD?
----
28.08.2008 - 11:25
Damnated
Churchburner

as long as you're downloading mp3s, that is true. however, you can download cd and vinyl rips in flac which comes really close to the original, and you can also download, with some luck, 24 bit recordings which is way better than the original.

another thing is, that a vinyl player or a cd player doesn't even have the sound quality of a 7.1 mid range sound card. so with a proper rack, even simple 192 kbps mp3s can sound better than the original.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
28.08.2008 - 13:19
Janne
Hugin
Written by Damnated on 28.08.2008 at 11:25

as long as you're downloading mp3s, that is true. however, you can download cd and vinyl rips in flac which comes really close to the original, and you can also download, with some luck, 24 bit recordings which is way better than the original.

another thing is, that a vinyl player or a cd player doesn't even have the sound quality of a 7.1 mid range sound card. so with a proper rack, even simple 192 kbps mp3s can sound better than the original.

Flac uses 2 times more space on HDD than mp3, isn't it?
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
28.08.2008 - 13:39
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Janne on 28.08.2008 at 13:19

I'd say like 4 times more.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
28.08.2008 - 13:40
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by K✞ulu on 28.08.2008 at 13:39

well that shouldn't be a problem with the huge hard disks that are on the market now(some are even 500 GB!)
28.08.2008 - 13:46
TheBigRossowski
Written by Warman on 26.08.2008 at 23:45

I hate to download, I really do. The only times I download stuff is when I wanna hear stuff from bands I am going to see live, like supporting acts and such I haven't heard before. I love to have the whole album in my hand with everything. I love to walk around my favourite album shops and look at every CD in there. Decide for hours what I should buy and come home with just one CD.
Haha I guess that's why some old members here "bullied" me when I was new here. Since I rarely download I hadn't heard as much Metal as most people here, so I really was a newbie. And as we all know, according to our 101 rules: The more bands you know, the cooler you are!

I pretty much agree with your statement here, its well put! A few months ago I was completely against downloading; then again I'd say the money I made from the military, I blew it all on CDs and band shit! Now I don't make anything, so I have to be picky with what I buy. However, I was always like that too, you search FOREVER and then leave with only one or two CDs, but the right ones...

The problem is that if you've already listened to an album and then you go shopping you may lose interest. Example, at the Eisenwahn festival I saw Vorkreist's Sublimation album and had I not already had it on my computer and interested in hearing something else.....I would have bought it.

For the most part, if its an album I thoroughly enjoyed, I buy it regardless. Still, didn't buy the Vorkreist though...
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
28.08.2008 - 13:50
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Valentin B on 28.08.2008 at 13:40

Written by K✞ulu on 28.08.2008 at 13:39

well that shouldn't be a problem with the huge hard disks that are on the market now(some are even 500 GB!)

I've got one of those. Seagate Barracuda... my favorite HDD. But I'm sure I have seen 700 GB HDD's somewhere on ebay.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

28.08.2008 - 16:44
Janne
Hugin
there were already 3 terabytes HDs at my fathers workplace 10 years ago. but they don't download any music on them i guess.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
28.08.2008 - 17:03
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Janne on 28.08.2008 at 16:44

there were already 3 terabytes HDs at my fathers workplace 10 years ago. but they don't download any music on them i guess.

How come? No way there were 3-terabyte HDD's at that time unless you father worked/works for some secret American organization.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

28.08.2008 - 17:10
Janne
Hugin
Written by K✞ulu on 28.08.2008 at 17:03

Written by Janne on 28.08.2008 at 16:44

How come? No way there were 3-terabyte HDD's at that time unless you father worked/works for some secret American organization.

Hehe, there was and he only works for a bank.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
28.08.2008 - 20:01
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
well...for me it's matter of "to be or not to be" no download = no metal and since i have no chance of purchacing legal cd/dvd S here, i download...but i'm kinda confused how you guys easily speak of downloding cos i once heard of a woman who got sued and fined for even peer-to-peer mp3 sharing in US
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
28.08.2008 - 20:34
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
People downloading stuff almost never get arrested/sued, it's people that share/seed stuff for people to download off that get into trouble.
28.08.2008 - 21:34
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 28.08.2008 at 20:34

People downloading stuff almost never get arrested/sued, it's people that share/seed stuff for people to download off that get into trouble.

I hope so
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
28.08.2008 - 21:38
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Janne on 28.08.2008 at 21:34

Written by Guest on 28.08.2008 at 20:34

I hope so

Me too

I think the only time you'll likely be caught is if you seed a new film or game. I doubt you'd get caught with music.