Metal Storm logo
Downloading

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 26.08.2008 - 22:05
new thread, this time with more specific options(guess these options pretty much cover it all). please explain why you chose one of them. i do download, but i am exempt from all you purist's accusations, because (unlike people in wealthier countries!) i really cannot afford any cd most of the times, and i'm short of money usually, i'd be broke all the time if i wanted to buy all the downloaded stuff i have. so (yes, it's true, that's the only album i own) the one album in my collection is really the only metal album i have in my house(apart maybe for my dad's Queen vinyls but that's another story), it's a remastered edition which i got for a small price relative to the rest of the albums' prices, about 10$. but the rest of Priest's catalogue are either the same price or higher, so it would cost me around 150-200$ to get their entire discography. that's about half the normal salary...

Poll

Do you download albums illegaly?

Only to try, if i like it i'll buy it
Yes, I can't afford the cd's
Yes, I usually can't find cd's here
No, I must support the artist

Total votes: 174
23.10.2008 - 15:10
MathC
Account deleted
I download everything. Except for gems I really wish to possess. Which aren't metal usually.
23.10.2008 - 15:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by gocasaca on 23.10.2008 at 15:10

52 KB !

Here 5gb OMG its to slow for Europian countries
How fats this site works?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.10.2008 - 15:18
gocasaca
Written by Bad English on 23.10.2008 at 15:12

Here 5gb OMG its to slow for Europian countries
How fats this site works?

This is the slowes pacage in this country, the fastest is to 3Mb. And this site works pretty well.
25.10.2008 - 00:18
Conservationist
I really don't like supporting bad artists.

Download MP3s helps me avoid bad artists.
25.10.2008 - 14:58
Jigoku Shoujo
Account deleted
Since I'm a student and don't earn much money, which of course I have to spend mostly on living expenses, I really don't have any cash to actually buy myself some (or even one) ubelievable expensive cds. And I rather don't ask my relatives to buy me cd-s, because they always get the wrong ones.
So I'd say: yay for downloading!
25.10.2008 - 20:03
Abattoir
staff
Well, mostly I download the album first, but there are special occasions too. For example, the last time I was in CD shop, I was standing before the shelves for about half an hour and thinking witch album should I buy (those one which I hava already downloaded before). But than I just grab one, I looked at the artwork and bought it That album was from Eyes Of Eden - Faith...I haven't heard before for this band or their music. And I had quite a luck, cause this album sounds pretty damn good.
26.10.2008 - 22:34
Gigginova
Account deleted
I choose the second option. I live in the fvcking bahamas , come on.

If it's worthwhile, I'll buy it.
I bought the new Cattle Decapitation and the new Amon Amarth after downloading a few songs and liking them enough.
27.10.2008 - 00:25
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 26.10.2008 at 22:34

I bought the new Cattle Decapitation and the new Amon Amarth after downloading a few songs and liking them enough.

What about the StormWarrior CD? Have you got it?
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
27.10.2008 - 00:46
Gigginova
Account deleted
Written by Janne on 27.10.2008 at 00:25

Written by Guest on 26.10.2008 at 22:34

What about the StormWarrior CD? Have you got it?

No, not yet, I plan on ordering it with my credit card.
30.10.2008 - 01:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Conservationist on 25.10.2008 at 00:18

I really don't like supporting bad artists.

Download MP3s helps me avoid bad artists.

ahahhaa agree , I usualy download some a lot of diferent bands for example last Freedom Call album, I listened it and dealited, thats how I do all times, but if band is good I keep it and edd in vanted list it , even in nowdays its harder get not so popular artists anymore
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.10.2008 - 14:18
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Moved to the General music forum.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
31.10.2008 - 19:44
Ernis
狼獾
I cannot afford CDs because they're pricy....honest and straightforward....of course, I do have original albums and from time to time I carress myself by buying myself an original...sometimes an album of significance such as Beseech's "Souls Highway" or the last one I bought "Oceanborn" by Nightwish....a classic after all...

And last but not least....here pop music surely governs the shelves in shops....choice of metal is tiny.....
02.12.2008 - 04:28
It's a mix between me on two of the polls. I download first to see if i'll enjoy the album.........that is, if I have the money and if that cd is in stores. U.S. cd stores around me bum us out all of the good stuff and leave us with mainstream goodies (bluh).
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
15.12.2008 - 00:56
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
elite
I have had a lot of thought over this the other day, and ive come to my own personal conclusion.
I used to buy pretty much everything i wanted to hear, averaging around 50 cds a year, pretty much 4 a month. You get a good week to listen to each cd and yet always had something new to listen to after. This was when i was just working and single. NOW, i am a full time student and still working with a partner. Which means i cant afford 50 a year, more like 5-10.
So what do i start doing? Downloading more often!
This was never a problem before, but one thing ive noticed is that im not getting into the downloaded stuff as much as when i buy them. When i have a hard copy in front of me, i spend more time getting into it, even if its a mediocre album, i give it a go. With downloading, if i dont like it on the first listen, i ignore it.
I listen to music less and less now, so im thinking im going to stop downloading, and start accepting the 5-10 a year, maybe try and at least get to 20 and cut back on something else.
30.12.2008 - 14:29
Janne
Hugin
I download almost everything so when I got/buy a real CD it's so special for me. Of course I like those more. But I think if I had got all my CDs phisically the spell would be lost.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
03.01.2009 - 12:55
Kanto
Like some of you have already said, yeah...CD are expensive nowadays, and is much easier to download and then burn a CD, obviously when I love a band I try to buy a original CD...but I'm still looking for (after 2 years) a Sigur Ros or a Arcade Fire CD on the closest music shop...-__-, so...you get the point
----
...Dude.
16.02.2009 - 00:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
I was actually thinking this over the other day when one of my friends started giving me the whole "sticking it to the man (In other words, the big evil record company)" bullshit. So I put a little research and thought into the matter. Most articles I came across admitted that the 'Industry bigwigs' (meaning the people at the top of the 'foodchain' in large labels) have handled the internet with complete ignorance. There was a point, should they have noticed it, where they probably could've efficiently policed illegal downloading, but that point has long since past. EMI were one of those labels, whereby last year they had to lay off a third of their workforce. Thats around two thousand people that lost their jobs. You might think 'sticking it to the corporations' is a good idea, but who is getting fired in terms of hierarchical importance? The man at the top? No.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.02.2009 - 07:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Kanto on 03.01.2009 at 12:55

Like some of you have already said, yeah...CD are expensive nowadays...

They actually aren't. CDs are cheap nowadays compared to when they were introduced and also compared to vinyl.cassettes at the time. They cost as much as vinyl back in the day. Consider this... a cd in 2009 is just expensive as vinyl/cassettes in 1982. Now that IS cheap in comparison.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.02.2009 - 13:20
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Maybe they are quite "cheap" but still you cannot afford all of them at the time...i now have 11 original cds looking forward to have more and more of these...but if i listen only to this music, i got "legally", i would listen to nothing but stupid public pop radios
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

16.02.2009 - 21:56
Dest
I voted for the second option, because I can't find the cd's here.

This is mainly because I listen to a lot of small bands, who's cd's aren't distributed to other countries.
In this case I download them and look for when they are easier to buy.

I also download cd's to listen if I like them, and if I do, I'll buy them.
I think it is really important to still buy cd's and support the artist, besides, having an original album makes listening to music more fun!
23.02.2009 - 00:17
Galar
Wicked Mung
I always buy the album eventually if I love it, but some times I will download it just to preview and see if I will like it. If I cant find the cd anywhere for purchase though, I will most likely keep the download because I dont feel like ordering it from some obscure website. But I always try to buy.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
28.02.2009 - 00:13
jd-inflames
Account deleted
I typically download when I'm checking out a new band or whatever. If I feel like I'll actually use them, I'll support them in buying their CD. I don't like to guess with 15 bucks.
28.02.2009 - 18:52
ForeverDarkWoods
I like to have physical copies, but unfortunately I don't live in a fantasy imagination perfect happy land with fairies and shit so I got to face that I can't afford to buy all the music I want to have. Now, since piracy makes it possible for me to get ahold of the music anyways, Of course I would choose that option over not possessing the music at all.

Besides, downloading helps me avoid buying CDs that are shit.

When I do buy stuff (quite often nowadays) I try to buy second hand as much as possible since that's a lot cheaper and I still get a physical copy. Buying second hand or trading also makes it more likely that you wind up with fun stuff you wouldn't be having otherwie.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
15.04.2009 - 13:34
TormentoR.
Unfortunately :
Yes, I usually can't find cd's here
Yes, I can't afford the cd's
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
22.04.2009 - 05:14
totaliteraliter
Written by Doc G. on 16.02.2009 at 00:14

I was actually thinking this over the other day when one of my friends started giving me the whole "sticking it to the man (In other words, the big evil record company)" bullshit. So I put a little research and thought into the matter. Most articles I came across admitted that the 'Industry bigwigs' (meaning the people at the top of the 'foodchain' in large labels) have handled the internet with complete ignorance. There was a point, should they have noticed it, where they probably could've efficiently policed illegal downloading, but that point has long since past. EMI were one of those labels, whereby last year they had to lay off a third of their workforce. Thats around two thousand people that lost their jobs. You might think 'sticking it to the corporations' is a good idea, but who is getting fired in terms of hierarchical importance? The man at the top? No.

And these layoffs had what to do with downloading? I mean, the economy has been a little rough lately. I'm actually curious, did EMI even blame this on downloading?
22.04.2009 - 22:13
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by totaliteraliter on 22.04.2009 at 05:14

Written by Doc G. on 16.02.2009 at 00:14

And these layoffs had what to do with downloading? I mean, the economy has been a little rough lately. I'm actually curious, did EMI even blame this on downloading?

Well, theres no official press release for it, and yeah it would be a direct result of download, less sales=less revenue=less payroll. This was before the economy started bombing, though economy doesnt help much either. Though realistically I think the downloading problems have actually plateaued since legal downloading is becoming more and more popular.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
23.04.2009 - 19:24
Ernis
狼獾
I read an article some time ago about whether downloading music's a criminal offence or not and it was written there that it has been known from the beginning that the main income for an artist is gigs....long time ago when there was not possible to record music at all, live music was the only possible way of spreading this art...this is greatly like this even today, mostly big and famous artists can also earn some extra money from CD sales (their main income, nevertheless, being result of touring) and less-known artists mostly rely on gig income only.... This was also stipulated once in an interview by Anette Olzon (who has the experience of being in a small band and in a best-selling mega act).....

In the article, however, were some passages with an interview with some publishing company/copyright organisation representative who said simply and clearly: "Copying music, down- and uploading music files, owning them etc etc is a criminal offence. There is no doubt of it and there is no excuse for people who claim that they don't find the CDs or don't have the money. "

Prepare yourself now for an immortal statement...

"MUSIC IS NOT FOOD NOR WATER NOR AIR. PEOPLE CAN LIVE AND SURVIVE WITHOUT IT. THEREFORE IF ONE CANNOT AFFORD BUYING IT, THERE IS NO VITAL URGE NOR REASON TO COMMIT CRIMES (downloading) IN ORDER TO OBTAIN IT."

By this sentence this representative clearly stated that the goal and dream of record companies and copyright organisations is to push the world into a situation where culture would be the privilege of few rich people.

On the other hand, the record companies need to get their money as well. I read an article some time ago speaking about banning youtube videos about or containing songs by Estonian authors. It was imposed by the "copyright organisation leaders"....
what is more ridiculous, if the artists themselves would like to see their songs available for all people and would like their music to be introduced to larger audiences have no right in this case because some rights over the songs do not just belong to them any longer but to the record companies and copyright organisations who do not think about culture that much but of income more likely.....
23.04.2009 - 20:52
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
(from Wired Blog... http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/03/obama-sides-wit.html )

Obama Sides With RIAA, Supports $150,000 Fine per Music Track

By David Kravets March 23, 2009
1:12:29 PMCategories: RIAA Litigation

The Obama administration for the first time is weighing in on a Recording Industry Association of America file sharing lawsuit and is supporting hefty awards of as much as $150,000 per purloined music track.

The government said the damages range of $750 to $150,000 per violation of the Copyright Act was warranted.

"The remedy of statutory damages for copyright infringement has been the cornerstone of our federal copyright law since 1790, and Congress acted reasonably in crafting the current incarnation of the statutory damages provision," Michelle Bennett, a Department of Justice trial attorney wrote Sunday to a Massachusetts federal judge weighing challenge to the Copyright Act.

The position -- that the Copyright Act's monetary damages are not unconstitutionally excessive -- mirrors the one taken by the Bush administration and should come as no surprise.

Two top lawyers in President Barack Obama's Justice Department are former RIAA lawyers: Donald Verrilli Jr. is the associate deputy attorney general who brought down Grokster and fought to prevent a retrial in the Jammie Thomas case. Then there's the No. 2 in the DOJ, Tom Perrilli. As Verrilli's former boss, Perrilli argued in 2002 that internet service providers should release customer information to the RIAA even without a court subpoena.

(Bitter interjection: lol, Perrilli Verrilli! maybe they can work Obama's media spin machine to "blame it on the rain!" ... i wonder if they dance around in matching nuthugger cycling tights?)

Presidential administrations often intervene in lawsuits in which the constitutionality of a federal law is in question. This case concerns a former Boston University student challenging a peer-to-peer file sharing case.

Still, parts of the government's brief sounded as if it was taken from the RIAA's public relations playbook.

"Congress sought to account for both the difficulty of quantifying damages in the context of copyright infringement and the need to deter millions of users of new technology from infringing copyrighted work in an environment where many violators believe that their activities will go unnoticed," Bennett wrote.

The RIAA has sued more than 30,000 individuals for file sharing the last five years. It is winding down the campaign and is lobbying internet service providers to discontinue service to copyright scofflaws.

weeeee.

up to $150,000 per track... that's not excessive. not at all.

the worst of it is these RIAA douchebags consider each lost track a lost sale... so downloading all 10 songs off an album with 10 tracks counts as 10 violations rather than one. as if the average consumer is going to buy ten copies of an album, one disk per song.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
27.04.2009 - 17:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by BitterCOld on 23.04.2009 at 20:52

as if the average consumer is going to buy ten copies of an album, one disk per song.

I would But then again I am not your average consumer.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.04.2009 - 19:29
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Azrael on 27.04.2009 at 19:18

Most of my collection are CD's but to be honest it's another kind of CD's that you bought cause it's also downloaded and burned by an underground mega stores (we have many of them here) and they are not illegal at all. After spending 12000 Syrian.Lire (=240 U.S dollar)on CD's i had to try to learn how to download stuff from internet. Well i learned how and i'm really good at it right now.

EDIT:
1.We don't have any original CD store here. And if we going to have one,it won't contain any metal materials.
2.The burned CD is cost me 2 dollars.
3.If this collection that i have now is on CD's i'd be in jail right now (guilty in ruining the youth minds in satanist ideas etc...).
4.This is not the story of my life .

its somthin like "Korsan CD's" in turkey, and alot of them in china or malesya and pakistan, these are not originals, these are underground copies.