Metal Storm logo
Nadja

28.08.2008 - 16:42
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Undoubtedly one of the most incredible and intuitive bands to emerge this decade. With an already vast back story of LP's, EP's and splits this duo have headed the niche genre of experimental ambient drone music since 2002 with Aiden Baker (a man with VAST solo releases behind him) at the helm.

The style of music is somewhat similar to your regular drone but combines it with shoegazer and ambient to create a wall of dirging, swirling, slow riffs that result in a sexual, hypnotic and dreamlike soundscape. Slighlty similar to The Angelic Process but with less emphasis on the shoegazer element if that helps at all. My personal fave releases so far was this year's 'Desire In Uneasiness' and 'Bodycage' but their even more recent output 'The Bungled and the Botched' is also quite amazing.

They've various samples and free tracks on their Last.fm page:

http://www.last.fm/music/Nadja

I'm fairly sure a number of you will have heard this band as they seem to appeal to a crossover of both metal and indsutrial fans. Any thoughts?
28.08.2008 - 19:14
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I think this thread suits better on the melodic metal forum since it's some kind of doom... and doom is melodic.

But fuck it, I don't care for the genres. This band sounds really good to me.. and there's a word that you put that suits them perfectly, and that's sexual soundscape... It really sounds that nice. Perfect music while you're with "her"
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.08.2008 - 19:47
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
I know drone is associated with doom (and I still don't know why, I don't see any doom in Nadja) but I took this band on face value; It's a vast mixture of styles, none of which I'd ever consider melodic. Just can't see this band sitting with the power metal ones =P If any mods moan I'll just point out Sunn O))) is in this thread.

But yeah, the whole erotic, sensual side of the music was one of the most appealing aspects of Nadja. Instead of intentionally creating negative soundscapes which we seem to associate with its peers, the more thoughtful and tingly atmosphere is certainly a breath of fresh air.
29.08.2008 - 00:38
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I only own Thamogenesis and it's one of the most boring albums of my collection... I had given it many tries, but I can't find anything exciting in their music.
29.08.2008 - 11:47
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Nadja - Touched review

I really like Nadja, but so far I haven't had the energy to dig into their entire discography. There's only so much Nadja I can take. But I'll check out the releases you mentioned. I'm not sure if I've heard Bodycage or not. The Bungled And The Botched sounds very interesting,
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
29.08.2008 - 11:53
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
To be completely honest there really isn't a huge difference where any of their releases are concerned, more subtle teaks here and there which, admittedly can be a good thing if you can dedicate yourself to listening to them enough (which I haven't yet). The fact that they release a new album is every 2.1 seconds plus the fact they re-release their own records pretty frequently does kinda make you wanna just say "Hmm.. maybe I'll just listen to that album again" instead of trying to absorb another one.
29.08.2008 - 11:56
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Yeah, most of his works do sound very similar. A damn shame, I'd appreciate this band much more if he would just take a year or two for one album, and have a much smaller but better discography.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
29.08.2008 - 13:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Here's a link to a webcast of Nadja live at Roadburn 2008 last April:

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/speler/ondemand/39741287
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.08.2008 - 14:12
Southern Wind
Account deleted
4 FL and 3 EP only in what we have of 2008! wtf!
29.08.2008 - 14:20
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 29.08.2008 at 14:12

4 FL and 3 EP only in what we have of 2008! wtf!

Well one is a re-release and another is a collaboration with the rather excellent Atavist.
29.08.2008 - 15:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Shit.. and I though that Xasthur maked many albums in short time... This people were just sicker ajjajajaj.

The music is still good anyway, But Like lucas said... It would be better if the discography was smaller and better.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.08.2008 - 16:58
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Even though they've made a heap of albums and whatnot I've never encountered one that's anything less than quality. Their music does take a while to digest but with music as dense and turbulent you can't really do an awful lot with it without changing the style overtly.
30.08.2008 - 07:45
KryptoN
imperceptible
I've heard 3 or 4 albums by them and yeah they're one of my favorite "metallic" drone bands. I can second the recommendation of "The Bungled & The Botched", and be sure to get the version that includes the demo version of the album.

I have no problem with drone artists putting out similar stuff all the time... It's not like the style has much to do with musical values anyway, it concentrates on the atmosphere and IMO the atmosphere has been different on each release I've heard. That said, everything I've heard by Nadja has been amazing and it doesn't bore me at all.