04. Hallowed Halls
05. Steadfast
06. Three Great Ships
07. Eostre
08. Fire From The Sky
09. Mellowing Of The Mains
10. Wolfhead's Tree
11. Miri It Is

English heathens Forefather are back with album number six and have never sounded better. Entitled "Steadfast", this is the band's highest achievement yet combining the spirit of the music they have always had with accessible songs and a whole heap of catchiness that has never been so present as it is here.

Forefather have finally released an album that is complete, compact and very solid. This is folk metal with an epic touch and with a step away from the slight black metal side, the grandeur is even more apparent. Consistency is a big key to "Steadfast" also, never before has Forefather been so engaging and thorough throughout an entire album, producing and delivering the goods with each track present. Individual tracks have their own stamp, their own tempo and feel to them. "Cween Of The Mark" and "Hallowed Halls" provide fantastic up-beat adventures whereas the title track "Steadfast" is more of a methodical, mid-tempo galloping affair which is just as enjoyable and also shows a more mature side to Forefather which has always been there, but never so articulated as well as this is pulled off here.

Before when listening to Forefather on previous albums, the main downside would most likely have been the fake-sounding drums which were programmed in through a computer of some sorts and plonked unimaginatively on top of the rest of the music. This problem has been eradicated for "Steadfast" as a real fleshy, squishy, breathing human was sat behind a real drum kit for this album, and this one change alone makes the world of difference for the overall sound and professional presentation of the two-man English duo. Production-wise the album sounds good, although there seems to be a distinct lack of bass which can make listening to the album on some devices quite impossible, but given you are not listening to the album on tiny mp3 player earphones there are no problems with the production.

Over the years Forefather have grown and evolved and this has never been so apparent as with "Steadfast". The whole album gleams with a metallic, folky shine. Not the happy-clappy, cheesy kind of folk either, this is a more of a serious affair that has been pulled off brilliantly not to sound over the top or too pretentious. The album boasts songs that will stick inside your head for a long time; "Fire From The Sky" is a good one at that, also the title track and others mentioned above.

This is a band at the peak of their evolution thus far, and with a solid and concise album has produced one of the folk metal highlights of the year. A real epic opus that keeps its head firmly attached at all times, and as long as you have your head firmly attached, an album that can be thoroughly enjoyed from beginning to end many times. Well worth getting.

Written on 29.08.2008 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 18   Visited by: 259 users
29.08.2008 - 09:15
Rating: 10
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Spot on Barry, great review!

Forefather have continued to impress me by releasing good album after good album!
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
29.08.2008 - 10:48
ylside

I was waiting for Steadfast... and totally forgot to check it !!! It's been out since February it seems lol...
29.08.2008 - 13:18
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
I forget if it was this album or the previous one I listened to but I didn't enjoy it which is a shame because I've heard nothing but praise for them.
30.08.2008 - 01:03
elven

Top 5 of the year for me.. awesome album.... congrats for the review.:)
30.08.2008 - 14:49
Dark Blood
The Avenger
At first listen, sounds like a good album. I'll give even more attention cause I believe it's better than good!
Thanks for the nice review man!
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
31.08.2008 - 22:57
enumaelis

The best one with the Equilibrium's Sagas at the moment in this year for me.
----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
02.09.2008 - 09:46
Rating: 9
peter666

On of the most underestimated pagan metalbands. Superb album ... again !
09.09.2008 - 20:30
Promonex
Cathemeral
Written by enumaelis on 31.08.2008 at 22:57

Word! At least in folk metal.

And yep, very spot on review indeed!
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
15.09.2008 - 09:43
Wes

Amazing melodic metal, definitely underrated
19.12.2008 - 00:23
AnarChrist

Written by Promonex on 09.09.2008 at 20:30

Written by enumaelis on 31.08.2008 at 22:57

Word! At least in folk metal.

And yep, very spot on review indeed!

word x2, those two are like two shining beacons standing out from the wave of mediocre folk metal this year
----
oh my fucking god, fucking dinosaurs
23.02.2009 - 18:52
Scyld Scefing
Account deleted
Simply the best! Inspirational fpr all English Nationalists and Folk metal lovers.Ride on to Valhalla
Til biþ se þe his treowe gehealdeþ (good is he who keeps faith)
13.03.2009 - 11:55
DieH@rd

Whoa, i just listened it and is definetley one of the best Folk albums this year!
----
His is a name the world will never forget... He is Dargor!
-Rhapsody-
23.03.2009 - 17:59
Rating: 8
Dominus
The Shooter
Great album. Definetley one of the best 2008 Folk albums
25.05.2009 - 19:41
Heart_of_METAL

Really, one of the best folk (anglo-saxon) albums ever!
27.05.2009 - 12:27
Smurfophagist

Nice review, though I believe that the drums are still the awkward part of Forefather's music.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
25.09.2009 - 13:03
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Whoa...must check this!
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

30.12.2010 - 03:39
Necrodamus

Just discovered these guys...and I'm glad I did. Amazing release and one of my favs of the genre.
17.09.2011 - 17:09
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
One of my all-time black/folk favs, plus their medieval anglo-saxon theme is quite unique in the folk scene. Check this out, dudes!
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....

Hits total: 8105 | This month: 9