Metal Storm logo
The Most Offensive Music

Original post

Posted by , 31.08.2008 - 08:31
Anal Cunt is pretty damn offensive...however, Seth Putnam is a cool guy so I would never tell him off...it offends people but they do it in fun...
07.09.2012 - 11:36
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw

This is probably one of the most disgustingly vile and disturbing songs I've heard. Think the atmosphere of Sunn O))) with the lyrics of Cannibal Corpse.
----
10.09.2012 - 23:19
Yellax

Anal Cunt is pretty offensive...less so these days though...
----
I'm a furry. Get used to it.
10.09.2012 - 23:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Yellax on 10.09.2012 at 23:19

well if Seth Putnam started releasing stuff from the grave I would think it to be extremely offensive to some people
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2012 - 23:59
Yellax

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.09.2012 at 23:53

Written by Yellax on 10.09.2012 at 23:19

well if Seth Putnam started releasing stuff from the grave I would think it to be extremely offensive to some people

Oh wow...Seth is dead! I really don't read up on things...well, RIP eh?
----
11.09.2012 - 00:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Yellax on 10.09.2012 at 23:59

you're kidding me, right?

He died on June 11 2011
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.09.2012 - 16:31
Yellax

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.09.2012 at 00:14

Written by Yellax on 10.09.2012 at 23:59

you're kidding me, right? He died on June 11 2011

Sadly, I am not kidding. The last album I listened to from Anal Cunt was Fuckin' A back in 2010. I didn't really take the release of Wearing Out Our Welcome too seriously, so I stopped caring about Anal Cunt. I liked them more so back in the 90s with their short blips of retardation. Fuckin' A was a proper album, but it just didn't feel the same, you know? So, yeah...if I don't read up on it, I wouldn't know, right? That makes perfect sense to me...
----
11.09.2012 - 22:37
Angelic Storm
Melodious
AC doesn't qualify as "offensive music" really, seeing as what they "play" can hardly be described as anything resembling music anyway.
12.09.2012 - 03:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Angelic Storm on 11.09.2012 at 22:37

AC doesn't qualify as "offensive music" really, seeing as what they "play" can hardly be described as anything resembling music anyway.

Ridiculous statement. Just as ridiculous as stating that the cheesiest of power metal can hardly be described as anything resembling music would be.

AC's music adhers to all rules as what constitutes music. That you don't like and find it noise (which it is not since noise is something different entirely) does not mean it is not music.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.09.2012 - 09:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.09.2012 at 03:20
Ridiculous statement. Just as ridiculous as stating that the cheesiest of power metal can hardly be described as anything resembling music would be.

AC's music adhers to all rules as what constitutes music. That you don't like and find it noise (which it is not since noise is something different entirely) does not mean it is not music.

Nope it's not ridiculous, and your lazy comparison with "cheesy power metal" is not only wildly inaccurate, it's beneath your own intellectual level.

I've stated this about AC on this site a few times before, and I find it weird why you'd choose only now to try and rubbish the statement. Again, your assertion that I'm only saying this about AC because I "don't like them", is very surprising coming from you. I had no idea that you believed I am as narrow-minded, simple, and musically prejudiced as that. I have attacked many bands/albums on this site over my time here, and AC are the ONLY band I've ever described in this fashion. So no, I don't class all music I don't like as "not music", and I'm amazed you actually believe that to be the case.

I am far from being the only person who views AC (or at least, a certain proportion of their catalogue) as not being music. I've even heard some AC fans admitting such, and Seth Putnam himself once described the band's style as "anti-music". The whole premise of the band was to not be musical (although this may have changed over the years, I don't know). I admit, I haven't heard everything CC have done, but what I have heard, just resembles noise, and not anything resembling discernible music.
12.09.2012 - 10:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Doesn't take much experience with real noise artists to know that AC is not noise tbh...

Shit, sometimes the structure is just as easy as your classic old verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.09.2012 - 10:43
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.09.2012 at 10:35

Doesn't take much experience with real Noise artists to know that AC is not noise tbh...

Shit, sometimes the structure is just as easy as your classic old verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus.

Seth described AC as "anti-music", so he must have known as much about his own band's style as I do. (IE: Not very much ) The premise of the band, or at least the initial premise of it, was to be as un-musical as possible. Seth himself has said this.
12.09.2012 - 10:51
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.09.2012 at 10:43
Seth described AC as "anti-music", so he must have known as much about his own band's style as I do. (IE: Not very much ) The premise of the band, or at least the initial premise of it, was to be as un-musical as possible. Seth himself has said this.

There's one thing I learned throughout the years and it is to always take the artist's opinion of his own music (specially genre classification) with a grain of salt... They get their shit wrong most of the time. I can see what he meant with saying "anti-music" or "un-musical" but it would sound wrong to anyone who listens to noise artists. Seth was in fact just aiming for extremes and used the harshness of the production as the principal weapon to achieve that goal... But (maybe without realizing) he still was following common musical structures which the production, speed or agression of the music would never be able to erase no matter how extreme they are.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.09.2012 - 11:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
A.S., you'd better read properly nowhere did I say you classify all music you don't like as non-music.
Btw I have seen you call Mortician non-music as well, but that is besides the point.

Why I am only calling you out on your AC statement now is because I am getting sick and tired of you calling AC's music non-music. And, no, I don't like AC's music at all.

Like Mr Doc just said one should never take the artists's vision of what his music is as the truth. Hell, Alexei Laiho has called Children Of Bodom black metal loads of times and yet it is not black metal no matter how many times he keeps on repeating it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.09.2012 - 11:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
@Mr. Doctor: What you're saying does make sense, especially in regards to "the harshness of the production". Perhaps the production on AC material (at least the material I've heard) was purposely made so bad so as to mask any musical qualities inherent in the band's style. The stuff I've heard is produced in such a way, that actual riffs are all but impossible to make out, and decipher in a coherent fashion. Which at times gives the impression of a wall of noise with screaming vocals over the top of it.

Now, I'm no authority on the "noise" genre, and I would not pretend to be so. But certainly, AC's stuff to me has sounded like just noise. Though as you pointed out, that could just be the way the material is produced, rather than the material itself...
12.09.2012 - 11:06
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.09.2012 at 11:00

A.S., you'd better read properly nowhere did I say you classify all music you don't like as non-music.
Alexei Laiho has called Children Of Bodom black metal loads of times

The fuck?

I need a medicine to digest this crap. I NEED A MEDICINEEEEEEEE!
12.09.2012 - 11:15
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.09.2012 at 11:00

Btw I have seen you call Mortician non-music as well, but that is besides the point.

Why I am only calling you out on your AC statement now is because I am getting sick and tired of you calling AC's music non-music. And, no, I don't like AC's music at all.

Like Mr Doc just said one should never take the artists's vision of what his music is as the truth. Hell, Alexei Laiho has called Children Of Bodom black metal loads of times and yet it is not black metal no matter how many times he keeps on repeating it.

You said that just because I don't like AC, doesn't mean they aren't music. How is that not asserting that the only reason I'm saying that about AC is because I don't like them? Oh, and that is false. I have said Mortician have no musical talent. I have never said they are "not music", or words to that effect. A band can have no talent and still play music, so no, I've never said that about Mortician.

Well, like I said, other people, including the band's leader, has classed them as non-music. Perhaps I am wrong, but surely understandably so.

Really? I didn't know Alexi had called COB "black metal", but if that is the case, then he is wrong. :\ There are slight flourishes of black metal at times in their earlier material, but it's certainly far from being enough to class them as "black metal", or in fact, any sub-genre of black metal. But with Seth, it wasn't just that he called AC "anti-music", but more that the premise of the band in the first place was to be "anti-music". So if you're right, then I guess he must have failed in his band mission.
12.09.2012 - 11:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Loads ofpeoplehave called all heavy metal non-music, does that make it such?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.09.2012 - 11:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.09.2012 at 11:05

@Mr. Doctor: What you're saying does make sense, especially in regards to "the harshness of the production". Perhaps the production on AC material (at least the material I've heard) was purposely made so bad so as to mask any musical qualities inherent in the band's style. The stuff I've heard is produced in such a way, that actual riffs are all but impossible to make out, and descipher in a coherent fashion. Which at times gives the impression of a wall of noise with screaming vocals over the top of it.

Now, I'm no authority on the "noise" genre, and I would not pretend to be so. But certainly, AC's stuff to me has sounded like just noise. Though as you pointed out, that could just be the way the material is produced, rather than the material itself...

In order to make the point even more obvious: I suppose you are familiar with Pig Destroyer. (If not: then you missed a wonderful grindcore band). That video sounded pretty musical right?

This is one of their demos.
Or check out two versions of the same song: From a full length and this demo. At some points... Doesn't it remind you of AC? Most of AC stuff would be pretty accessible if not for the production.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.09.2012 - 11:43
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.09.2012 at 11:26
In order to make the point even more obvious: I suppose you are familiar with Pig Destroyer. (If not: then you missed a wonderful grindcore band). That video sounded pretty musical right?

This is one of their demos.
Or check out two versions of the same song: From a full length and this demo. At some points... Doesn't it remind you of AC? Most of AC stuff would be pretty accessible if not for the production.

I've known who they are for a long time now, but I haven't heard much of their stuff, which is a situation I should probably rectify.

In that demo I could decipher the riffs, although I admit that was only after I put earphones on. Before I did that, it did remind me a little of AC, although even that demo has better production than some AC stuff I've heard. lol I totally get what you're saying though, and I see your point.
12.09.2012 - 11:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.09.2012 at 11:43
In that demo I could decipher the riffs, although I admit that was only after I put earphones on. Before I did that, it did remind me a little of AC, although even that demo has better production than some AC stuff I've heard.

Well, yeah that's true, hence the "at some points". Headphones does help with their demos. Wonderful band though even in their demo days, great sick lyrics too.
Also... It's worth mentioning that Scott Hull (guitarrist of PG) has worked quite a few times for Anal Cunt.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.09.2012 - 15:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Just because someone describes their music as "anti-music" it doesn't automatically put what they do as something outside the music genre. That's just an affectation used to describe the approach or feel of what's being made. A statement defined by how relative it is. "Less" musical than Dragonforce to metallers and the majority, but certainly "more" musical than Merzbow to people who listen to noise, power electronics etc. Nearly 100 years ago there were people making textured sounds using tape loops which is a precursor to noise and industrial "music" today, but even that could be considered music. The point being that music is not simply relegated to that which has melody and structure, as the noise, ambient, field recording etc. areas testify. It's like saying dadaist art is not art because it aims to be as anti-artistic as possible, or art film is not is not really film because it doesn't follow conventional narrative structures. However, as bad as AC are, they do have a discernible structure, they just give the impression of noise through distortion. I'd say this is an example of where structure merges incoherently into noise. It's still music though.
12.09.2012 - 17:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 12.09.2012 at 15:21
I'd say this is an example of where structure merges incoherently into noise. It's still music though.

Woah dude... That's harsh. No idea why I can't stop listening to it though. Works in the background so I'm not complaining.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.09.2012 - 17:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.09.2012 at 17:38

Woah dude... That's harsh. No idea why I can't stop listening to it though. Works in the background so I'm not complaining.

I quite like it, particularly for the shouting intro to each track (its like 50 tracks long).
12.09.2012 - 17:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 12.09.2012 at 17:45
I quite like it, particularly for the shouting intro to each track (its like 50 tracks long).

Yeah, it's the whole shouting thing I find hilarious. There are some clear drumbeats here and there that help create a picture from time to time but this is indeed a hell of a mess.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.09.2012 - 17:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.09.2012 at 17:48

Yeah, it's the whole shouting thing I find hilarious. There are some clear drumbeats here and there that help create a picture from time to time but this is indeed a hell of a mess.

I always image three or four chubby old Japanese guys in a tiny pub going mental as onlookers stare on in bewilderment.
12.09.2012 - 17:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 12.09.2012 at 17:50
I always image three or four chubby old Japanese guys in a tiny pub going mental as onlookers stare on in bewilderment.

So... three or four Mories?

Okay, back on topic (I'll try): Mories' stuff could be offensive as hell for some....
(I tried!)
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.09.2012 - 19:07
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.09.2012 at 11:47
Well, yeah that's true, hence the "at some points". Headphones does help with their demos. Wonderful band though even in their demo days, great sick lyrics too.
Also... It's worth mentioning that Scott Hull (guitarrist of PG) has worked quite a few times for Anal Cunt.

Yep, the headphones definitely helped me decipher the demo, whereas before, it was just like screaming over noise. I'll definitely check out more of Pig Destroyer's stuff, hopefully it's on Spotify! Definitely what I heard in the song you posted, it's definitely the kind of grind I like.

Perhaps Scott Hull left AC and formed PD because he wanted to write/play some decent grind for a change.