Metal Storm logo
Vital Remains

26.06.2006 - 21:43
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I performed a search and no one has made a thread about this band yet, so I shall have the honors of starting it. Vital Remains is a death metal band from New York (I think) that is fronted by Deicide lead singer/bassist, Glen Benton. They are a great band which produces marvelous music, with their "Dechristianize" album praised greatly here on Metal Storm. In this topic, you can post your opinions on the band along with your favorite album, song, etc. My favorite songs would have to be 'Dechristianize', 'At War With God', and 'Entwined By Vengeance'.
26.06.2006 - 22:00
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This is a great band, but the only stuff I really like is the stuff with Glen Benton on vocals. The older stuff isn't as interesting for me. Anyways, it's hard for me to choose my favorite song because everything on Dechristianize is amazing. I''ve also seen these guys live and their pretty entertaining. Everyone wore light armor, but Glen wore a full armor body suit. He looked kinda scary and dumb at the same time.
26.06.2006 - 22:20
Bas
Retired Staff
elite
Vital Remains are one of my favourite bands, my second favourite band in the extreme side of metal (seriously, no band can match Mithras )

i just love it, the brutality, the speed, the melodic part, it all adds up to a perfect album
although im only referring to Dechristianize here, unfortunately i havent heard any of their other work, is it all in the same style or quite different? is the other stuff better of clearly inferior to dechristianize? please let me know
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
26.06.2006 - 23:05
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
@Bas2: I have listened to their 2000 release, "Dawn Of The Apocalyspe". It is still in the same style as "Dechristianize". It's awesome, but it isn't quite as good as "Dechristianize". I don't know whether it was Glen not being on vocals for the previous albums or the production value or whatnot, their past albums don't seem to top "Dechristianize".
27.06.2006 - 00:13
Bas
Retired Staff
elite
ah ok, so basically more of the same but a little bit worse?
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
27.06.2006 - 00:53
Trifixion
Account deleted
Well I downloaded the album Forever Underground by these guys some time last week and I wasn't too impressed, though I'm not making any judgements yet because I have yet to hear Dechristianize, or any other albums for that matter. I did hear some samples from Dechristianize and they sounded alot better than Forever Underground, so maybe I'll buy it and we'll see what happens. From what I know though they're definetly not a bad band, just not enough to keep me listening really. Maybe I just have to give a few more listens. I'll consider these guys decent until then
27.06.2006 - 02:07
Sepulchral Oath
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 26.06.2006 at 21:43

I performed a search and no one has made a thread about this band yet, so I shall have the honors of starting it. Vital Remains is a death metal band from New York (I think) that is fronted by Deicide lead singer/bassist, Glen Benton. They are a great band which produces marvelous music, with their "Dechristianize" album praised greatly here on Metal Storm. In this topic, you can post your opinions on the band along with your favorite album, song, etc. My favorite songs would have to be 'Dechristianize', 'At War With God', and 'Entwined By Vengeance'.

A few things to clarify:

1. They are from Rhode Island.

2. Glen was only the vocalist on 'Dechristianize.' Their live lineup always changes, although Glen has performed with them a couple of times. Their actual lineup is pretty unclear; the only guys that i 100% sure are in it are Dave Suzuki and Tony Lazaro.

From the material ive heard from their older albums, the production is definitely more muddy and there seems to be a smaller emphasis on the melodies and harmonies that are so prominent in 'Dechristianize.' I may be wrong though, for i havent heard THAT much of the older stuff.
As far as 'Dechristianize' goes, all of the tracks are incredible and its really hard to pick favorites. I tend to like 'Dechristianize,' 'Unleash Hell,' and 'Rush of Deliverance' the most, though the other tracks follow very closely behind.
28.06.2006 - 23:55
kackbratze
This thread attracted my attention when I read that Glen Benton was the vocalist on "Dechristianize". I got the album now and it's awesome! I love how evil they sound and I really like the "pummeling snare drums", how the reviewer described them...
I am just not too happy about the length of the songs for now. It's hard to get into them... And I think all songs start somehow very similar. But because they all start great that doesn't matter...
29.06.2006 - 10:43
EvilOstrich
Account deleted
I've listened to Vital Remains' last four full length releases, and I think every single one of them is good. As great as Dechristianize (and we all seem to agree that it is in fact a great album), my personal favorite is Dawn of the Apocalypse. Forever Underground and Into Cold Darkness were both pretty solid releases, but not on the same level as the other two. Dawn of the Apocalypse just did more for me than Dechristianize did. My favorite songs on "Dawn" are Behold the Throne of Chaos and Sanctity in Blasphemous Ruin. I haven't seen these guys live yet, but I'm going to this coming October in Chicago and I'm really looking forward to it.
10.08.2006 - 01:27
tattootildeath
Account deleted
vital remains are fucking killer, man! that's all there is to it.:banger2:
13.09.2006 - 08:44
Winter Death
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 29.06.2006 at 10:43

I've listened to Vital Remains' last four full length releases, and I think every single one of them is good. As great as Dechristianize (and we all seem to agree that it is in fact a great album), my personal favorite is Dawn of the Apocalypse. Forever Underground and Into Cold Darkness were both pretty solid releases, but not on the same level as the other two. Dawn of the Apocalypse just did more for me than Dechristianize did. My favorite songs on "Dawn" are Behold the Throne of Chaos and Sanctity in Blasphemous Ruin. I haven't seen these guys live yet, but I'm going to this coming October in Chicago and I'm really looking forward to it.

They are coming to Chicago and playing at a pub. Is this going to be a 21 and over show? I wouldn't mind seeing them tear it up.
30.09.2006 - 04:19
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I was just informed by someone on Blabbermouth that Dave Suzuki played drums on Dechristianize, not Tim Yeung. I swear that Tim Yeung is given credit for drumming in the booklet, but I could be mistaken. I'm currently at work and don't have access to my cd's...

I knew that Dave Suzuki played guitar and drums on their previous albums, but I thought Tim did all of the drumming for that particular album. Does anyone know?
30.09.2006 - 11:03
Winter Death
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 30.09.2006 at 04:19

I was just informed by someone on Blabbermouth that Dave Suzuki played drums on Dechristianize, not Tim Yeung. I swear that Tim Yeung is given credit for drumming in the booklet, but I could be mistaken. I'm currently at work and don't have access to my cd's...

I knew that Dave Suzuki played guitar and drums on their previous albums, but I thought Tim did all of the drumming for that particular album. Does anyone know?

The booklet credits Dave Suzuki for bass, drums, and lead guitar. Tim Yeung isn't even mentioned.

Speaking of booklets, does "Into Cold Darkness" suppose to have a booklet? I picked up that record and there nothing but the cd in there.
01.10.2006 - 02:19
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Ok, thanks. That explains why the drumming was so much faster live with Tim...and that's saying a lot.
01.10.2006 - 04:18
Daru Jericho
The band were recently banned from playing some US date because they had Benton on vocals.

Anyhow, I thought I posted in here before but I haven't. VR are great, my favourite album being Dechristianize by far. Yeung is a great drummer but he left, just to reinforce that.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

01.10.2006 - 16:23
Richard
elite
Written by Guest on 30.09.2006 at 11:03

Speaking of booklets, does "Into Cold Darkness" suppose to have a booklet? I picked up that record and there nothing but the cd in there.

Don't worry, mine doesn't have a booklet either. I assume you have the digipak re-issue too. You'd think they would've done something a bit more with the packaging...
----
01.10.2006 - 16:30
Wo0dy
Account deleted
damn yo that sucks that Tim left, im gonna see them live today...i was looking forward to his drumming, oh well hopefully they got someone good to replace him but yeah Dechristianize was a badass album, Dave Suzuki owns. underrated guitarist
01.10.2006 - 18:07
Dave suzuki totally rules!! He is very very under-rated. Totally love him. \m/
----
||SPACE FOR RENT||
02.10.2006 - 00:34
Winter Death
Account deleted
Written by Richard on 01.10.2006 at 16:23

Written by Guest on 30.09.2006 at 11:03

Don't worry, mine doesn't have a booklet either. I assume you have the digipak re-issue too. You'd think they would've done something a bit more with the packaging...

Thanks dude. I am extremely relieved that I am not missing anything. That would have really eaten at the back of my head if I were to be down a booklet. And yeah, the extras for the reissue are quite lacking. Pretty good album though.
02.10.2006 - 01:03
Richard
elite
No probs, Winter Death!

I agree that Dechristianize is an excellent album (thanks to Insineratehymn and kackbratze for mentioning my review of this album!) The speed from the previous releases was like a demonstration of what was to come later...

A release which hasn't been mentioned here yet is 'Horrors Of Hell' which was released this year. It's not new stuff, but the early demo releases and the songs from the band's first 7" 'The Black Mass'. As such, the sound quality isn't too great at times, of course the music sounds very different to Dechristianize or even Forever Underground era, but some of the songs are damn good, very catchy and a bit thrashy, and the 7" material is really dark (including a nifty Satanic chanting intro done by the band).
----
03.01.2007 - 17:09
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
I only have 'Dechristianize' and OMG this is a fantastic album!! Missed the review so i'l go and check that out

Glen's vocals are as good as hell, not to mention the drumming and guitars have some damn good musicians playing them. Hard to choose a favourite song from the album because its all top stuff, but the title track would be one of my favs.
Interested in hearing their earlier work without Glen on vocals.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
05.03.2007 - 09:25
Eight
Shapeshifter
Ahh yes! This band is seriously kicks major ass! I also have 'Dechristianize' album and it is the best ever!
Everything is perfect And yes im in love with Glens vocals
Thanks Xtreme Jax (again )
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
05.03.2007 - 14:10
Stigmatized
I enjoy Dechristianize, but for some reason the album gets old very fast for me. The intro track is great, and the title track is incredible. The songs that follow are all good, but they seem to drag on way to long.
05.03.2007 - 14:33
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Yeah I can agree with that. The tracks do seem a little too long, all of them are 6+ minutes with exception of the intro and one other track which makes it seem to drag on. But lucky the songs are well put together and exicuted otherwise this album wouldnt be as great. The length does put me off a little because its lengthy.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
05.03.2007 - 14:40
Eight
Shapeshifter
Actually i don't mind their length at all, tho was in the early beginning, but now it allright with me. I remember i was even changing to next song when i got tired
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
05.03.2007 - 23:12
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Well, the songs progress significantly, so the tracks kind of have to be long. Each song sounds like three songs in one, so my interest usually stays focused. I guess they just want to show off their songwriting skills....but that's fine with me.
06.03.2007 - 01:46
Winter Death
Account deleted
I can't stand the criticism of the songs being too long. Are people's attention spans that of a 3 year old? Or maybe they can't head bang for 10 minutes straight? Either way, anyone who busts that argument out might as well just announce to the world how pathetic he or she truly is and should probably hit mainstream radio. There are a lot of 3-minute pop songs there that can fulfill your listening requirements. And BTW, no offense LOLS!!!!11
06.03.2007 - 02:34
Stigmatized
Written by Guest on 06.03.2007 at 01:46

I can't stand the criticism of the songs being too long. Are people's attention spans that of a 3 year old? Or maybe they can't head bang for 10 minutes straight? Either way, anyone who busts that argument out might as well just announce to the world how pathetic he or she truly is and should probably hit mainstream radio. There are a lot of 3-minute pop songs there that can fulfill your listening requirements. And BTW, no offense LOLS!!!!11

Well, long songs are fine. But when the song itself is boring, it becomes a problem.
06.03.2007 - 03:43
Winter Death
Account deleted
1) Since we are talking about Vital Remains, I would argue that the concept of boredom doesn't come into play.

2) Long songs and boring songs are two mutually exclusive entities. If a song bores someone, they can say it bores them. That is an example of a legit criticism. But if that person comes out and says he/she got bored because of the length, well then we have fuck brained peon on our hands.

3) There are plenty of 3 minute boring songs as well.

Cheers
07.03.2007 - 23:30
Stigmatized
Written by Guest on 06.03.2007 at 03:43

1) Since we are talking about Vital Remains, I would argue that the concept of boredom doesn't come into play.

2) Long songs and boring songs are two mutually exclusive entities. If a song bores someone, they can say it bores them. That is an example of a legit criticism. But if that person comes out and says he/she got bored because of the length, well then we have fuck brained peon on our hands.

3) There are plenty of 3 minute boring songs as well.

Cheers

1) It's all a matter of taste. I didn't say I didn't like the band.

2) Due to the fact one is bored by a song, the fact that the song is long only makes it worse.

3) I know.