Metal Storm logo
Vital Remains

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 26.06.2006 - 21:43
I performed a search and no one has made a thread about this band yet, so I shall have the honors of starting it. Vital Remains is a death metal band from New York (I think) that is fronted by Deicide lead singer/bassist, Glen Benton. They are a great band which produces marvelous music, with their "Dechristianize" album praised greatly here on Metal Storm. In this topic, you can post your opinions on the band along with your favorite album, song, etc. My favorite songs would have to be 'Dechristianize', 'At War With God', and 'Entwined By Vengeance'.
16.05.2007 - 09:18
KryptoN
imperceptible
Personally I was bored to death with "Dechristianize" but I'm listening to "Icons of Evil" at the moment and it sounds very promising. After "Dechristianize" I was expecting just another turd, but I was pleasantly surprised. I'll have to give it more spins to be sure though... But so far, great stuff. The production is nearly perfect, vocals are ok, riffs are somewhat catchy... The songs are still a tad too long and tend to dilute because of this but it's not a huge minus.
16.05.2007 - 13:31
Stigmatized
That's still my biggest problem with VR. The songs go on and on and on and go nowhere, and it just gets boring.
16.05.2007 - 14:31
__Az__
Written by Stigmatized on 16.05.2007 at 13:31

That's still my biggest problem with VR. The songs go on and on and on and go nowhere, and it just gets boring.

hmmmm, yeah, theyre songs are quite long... But I wouldnt class that as being boring!
17.05.2007 - 02:22
GhostofSanity
Account deleted
Dechristianize is a kickass album, once you get past the not so great sound production. Rush of Deliverance and Devoured Elysium are my favorites from it. I'll pick up Icons of Evil sometime soon.
17.05.2007 - 10:05
__Az__
Written by Guest on 17.05.2007 at 02:22

Dechristianize is a kickass album, once you get past the not so great sound production. Rush of Deliverance and Devoured Elysium are my favorites from it. I'll pick up Icons of Evil sometime soon.

poor sound production doesnt actually bother me when listening to an album, some of the greatest albums eever (IMO) have had awful sound production but been amazing albums...
19.06.2007 - 01:49
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I've listened to the new album a bit and it sounds pretty good. The often overlong compositions are still there, but it's pretty good overall. I enjoy the riffing and solos a lot and I really like the drum production too. However, Benton's vocals are quite inaudible like always and his lyrics are as cheesy as ever. All that aside it seems like a pretty good album. How long the staying power of it is though we'll have to see.
----
The force will be with you, always.
26.06.2007 - 13:41
Atheist23
Account deleted
the old album are sick and the best Into Cold Darkness with the song Immortal crusades is the best album followed by Forever Underground Album.Lewis is much better on Vocals then Glen , glen is good of course but Lewis fits Vital Remains much better
18.07.2007 - 18:02
Infurnace
The new "Icons Of Evil" album is really good. Maybe not as good as "Dechristianize", but it's pretty close, though. I haven't really listened to the older albums yet, but i've heard some tracks from "Forever Underground". From what i've heard it's pretty good, but I have to say that I enjoy the latest albums a lot more.
18.07.2007 - 18:33
Infurnace
I didn't even know that Glen Benton is not on tour with Vital Remains. I was looking forward to seeing Benton live once. Ah well, too bad. I should just go and see Deicide live.
18.07.2007 - 19:24
Stigmatized
Written by Infurnace on 18.07.2007 at 18:33

I didn't even know that Glen Benton is not on tour with Vital Remains. I was looking forward to seeing Benton live once. Ah well, too bad. I should just go and see Deicide live.

Who is their touring singer?
19.07.2007 - 13:23
Infurnace
Written by Stigmatized on 18.07.2007 at 19:24

Damien Boynton, the vocalist of Desolation, is their touring singer.
23.07.2007 - 02:44
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Infurnace on 19.07.2007 at 13:23

Written by Stigmatized on 18.07.2007 at 19:24

Damien Boynton, the vocalist of Desolation, is their touring singer.

Damn that sucks. Desolation fucking rules, but Glen Benton is much better. That's weird though that they chose him...they're basically just a local band over here.
28.07.2007 - 05:39
Endoftherainbow
Icons of Evil is probably going to be one of the top death metal albums of this year the productions great, the songs are good, lots of solos, Glens vocals are amazing, and the drumming is good. The album also has lot's of variation within the songs so there isn't a boring moment.
28.07.2007 - 18:53
Baz Anderson
Staff
these guys are going to be the very last band that I will see at Wacken this year.. and I am really looking forward to seeing them!!!
I only have the last two Vital Remains albums - but I really like them a lot!!
28.07.2007 - 20:17
Stigmatized
Written by Baz Anderson on 28.07.2007 at 18:53

these guys are going to be the very last band that I will see at Wacken this year.. and I am really looking forward to seeing them!!!
I only have the last two Vital Remains albums - but I really like them a lot!!

Don't get your hopes up. When I saw them at CIM, they were terrible. I was sitting up in the balcony, and they put me to sleep. I woke up to hear them play "Dechristianize" and wasn't impressed. It could have been a sound problem though, because every instrument was drowning the others out, making it just sound like noise.
28.07.2007 - 20:23
Baz Anderson
Staff
yeh.. well they have that new DVD coming out and I watched a track preview from that and it was really great..
hopefully they will have the sound set up right at Wacken, a bad sound can ruin a show really.. fortunately I've only ever seen one good band have an awful time because of sound problems
28.07.2007 - 20:27
Stigmatized
It probably was just sound problems that night. I'm not a big VR fan anyway, but I did want to see them live. I hope when you see them their sound is right, because it could be a killer show.
03.08.2007 - 01:23
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I just downloaded their new album "Icons Of Evil" today. I'm listening to it right now, and holy shit is it heavy. Something tells me that I'm going to be buying the album sometime in the future.
06.08.2007 - 14:59
Konrad
Mormon Storm
I was greatly disappointed with the Dechristianize album. The band was originally recommended to me based on the fact that the drumming was insanely fast. While this remains true, I really didn't enjoy the record at all. Not to mention I think bands that just blasphemy blasphemy blasphemy should take the time to throw something more thought provoking into their lyrics and overall meaning. THEN...I read a decent review of their new album here in Germany (Legacy Mag). I was confused and suprised, so I went to myspace and listened to their new song....about 20 times. I am very impressed with their newest record. The quality is amazing, the melody is beautiful and the vocals are brutal as hell. They seem to have went even more extreme (mostly for attention) with the lyrics and overall outlook of the album, but I recently read an interview with Tony Lazaro out of Terrorizer and his thoughts about churches seem to be right on target. As a Christian, I find it a little annoying when bands say the same things over and over again to try to scare people or just let everyone know what they don't believe in. But after reading the interview I find it justified and am now an avid supporter of the band and what they are trying to do.

As for the overall length of the songs, I don't find them too long or boring. They really lead to somewhere, it just takes a couple of listens to comprehend everything that is going on. I wouldn't say this album is a perfect album, but probably the next best thing to it. It's angry, honest and still melodic. I really really really like this band.
----
Brujerizmo!
06.08.2007 - 15:13
Sunioj
I felt the same way about Dechristianize as well...but now I think Im going to give them another chance good thing I read your post Konrad!
06.08.2007 - 15:21
Konrad
Mormon Storm
The song 'Hammer Down the Nails' is featured on their myspace page. The rest of their album is just as good as that song, so if you like it I would definitely recommend getting the album. I'd love to hear what you think though...
----
Brujerizmo!
06.08.2007 - 17:06
Sunioj
Written by Konrad on 06.08.2007 at 15:21

The song 'Hammer Down the Nails' is featured on their myspace page. The rest of their album is just as good as that song, so if you like it I would definitely recommend getting the album. I'd love to hear what you think though...

I really like that song you recommended as well, I like the steady proggression around 3 minutes in...I actually find the drumming to be alittle bit better produced as well....killer intro as well, and the chorus is so audible and queued at the right time... good stuff
07.08.2007 - 18:05
Infurnace
I wanted to go and see them on Wacken, but instead of them I saw 1349. I had no clue. The program said, Vital Remains was going to play from 2:00 till 2:55 or something, so I went to the Headbangers Ballroom to go and see them, and what the hell, 1349 was playing at that time. I guess they changed playing-time or something, because I didn't see them.
09.08.2007 - 16:09
Baz Anderson
Staff
yeh.. I think they must have pulled out last minute or something..
but I am not complaining!! I got to see 1349 again!!! oh yes!!! they are blooming amazing live!!!
17.08.2007 - 00:09
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Does this cover look familiar to anyone?

17.08.2007 - 02:08
Endoftherainbow
Written by Dangerboner on 17.08.2007 at 00:09

Does this cover look familiar to anyone?

that's the best thing I've ever seen what a blatant rip off that was and since that looks older I'll assume it was vr ripping them off.
17.08.2007 - 03:51
KryptoN
imperceptible
The concept of these album covers is so stereotypical that I don't think it can be called rip-off. Both are bad covers in every possible way though, IMO.

Also, I think I've listened to the new album enough to say that it falls clearly below average amongst the 2007 albums I've heard so far. The initial promising kickass feeling got killed really fast, the same thing that happened with Dechristianize.
02.01.2008 - 00:34
ArcanaHereticae
Written by Guest on 17.05.2007 at 02:22

I personally don't see where you people get that from. How is there the slightest hint of poor quality on Dechristianize??? It's amazing.
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
01.08.2008 - 01:40
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
I just got into these guys.
wow, I love the material with Benton (Dechristianize, Icons Of Evil).....Especially the latter! Damn the drumming is intense!
18.02.2009 - 11:51
Misanthrope
Forever Underground, Dechristianize and Icons of Evil are Amazing. Fuckin love what these guys are doing!