Satyricon
Mayhem
Gorgoroth
Carpathian Forest

Total votes: 275
24.02.2007 - 00:16
Black Serpent
Account deleted
Well, personally I like Dimmu Borgir best, but I suppose they're not here because of they're Symphonic Black Metal
24.02.2007 - 00:21
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Gosh only 4 votes for Mayhem. They had probably the biggest part in the second wave too.

Abt Satyricon, ever since Nemesis Divinia they have just been nothing special compared to their older albums. If they had only continued in that vien, they would have easily topped this list..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
05.06.2007 - 20:48
Infurnace
Damn.. I like every band in this list.. that makes it pretty hard to vote. Well, I guess I'll stick with good old Immortal. I listen to them the most, but Mayhem, Emperor, Gorgoroth and Enslaved follow closely.
07.06.2007 - 00:58
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I voted Carpathian Forest because a few of the BM bands on there only gained popularity from shenanigans and tomfuckery. Where as CF had unique music and they didnt have to burn down churches or kill each other to get it heard (from what I know). And then the other bands I find are just plain boring.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
07.06.2007 - 04:59
MetalISTasty
Account deleted
I voted emperor because there fucking SICK. In the nightside eclipse makes me think of satanic sacrifices which i love hehehe.
07.06.2007 - 16:12
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
emperor, emperor are gods of metal. And music. All these other bands are all fantastic in their own right, i just like emperor more.

If i had my choise of Norse BM bands, 1349 would be number 1.
07.06.2007 - 17:35
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Gorgoroth, they just represent everything black metal should be... then could be Darkthrone on my list, but they had released some albums that suck badly, starting by the ridicoulsly overrated Transilvanian Hunger.
07.06.2007 - 18:03
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Emperor is winning with Burzum at 3rd place , chah !! MS people are so Symphonic
12.07.2007 - 19:00
Cassandra
Account deleted
i went with emperor of course, immortal is a close second.... emperor just has it all, beautiful melodies and brutality
12.07.2007 - 19:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hembrom on 07.06.2007 at 18:03

Emperor is winning with Burzum at 3rd place , chah !! MS people are so Symphonic

And what do you think
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.07.2007 - 14:49
natassja
Account deleted
Darkthrone for FENRIZ!
Fenriz is TRUE!!!
13.07.2007 - 16:36
Warman
Erotic Stains
Did I say Gorgoroth? It was 8 months ago... but I was still young
Now my list looks like this:
3. Burzum
Love the vocals (screams?) and sad atmosphere.
2. Emperor
The two first albums are Black masterpieces!
1. Satyricon
For their old stuff!
----
15.07.2007 - 22:32
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by Bad English on 12.07.2007 at 19:05

And what do you think

Burzum should be in first place

need more explanation ??
15.07.2007 - 23:13
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Emperor and Immortal are both very overrated. Alright, they both had their influence and deserve a bit of recognition. But still, I think they're overrated, especially Immortal. (Even though I like them much more than Emperor).

Mayhem, Enslaved & Carpathian Forest deserve much more votes. But I guess that is the downside of polls..
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
16.07.2007 - 12:43
Eternal Flame
Account deleted
Emperor & Immortal are my favourite band! But the rest.. Not bad.. Burzum? Haha.. There is no value for Burzum..:thumbdown:
16.07.2007 - 17:19
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Guest on 16.07.2007 at 12:43

Emperor & Immortal are my favourite band! But the rest.. Not bad.. Burzum? Haha.. There is no value for Burzum..:thumbdown:

No value for Burzum? Without Burzum no depressive Black Metal.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
17.07.2007 - 10:33
Meuterei
Account deleted
...and of course I'm voting for Enslaved.

=)
17.07.2007 - 10:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hembrom on 15.07.2007 at 22:32

Written by Bad English on 12.07.2007 at 19:05

And what do you think

Burzum should be in first place

need more explanation ??

Yes need because Immortal are best
----

apos;'
[image]
17.07.2007 - 11:24
NECURATU
Hey, what about bands that are Norwegian on the inside? They don't count?

Anyhow, I would have voted Mayhem but it seems my voting permition has been burried by time and dust

Edit: Mayhem because they've always been the best. They've surprised me with every single release, never repeated themselves, never gave a damn about what others think. Music straight from where the fucking heart shoud be
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
17.07.2007 - 11:30
Damned-In-Black
Written by Lucas on 15.07.2007 at 23:13

Emperor and Immortal are both very overrated. Alright, they both had their influence and deserve a bit of recognition. But still, I think they're overrated, especially Immortal. (Even though I like them much more than Emperor).

Mayhem, Enslaved & Carpathian Forest deserve much more votes. But I guess that is the downside of polls..

Says you

In my (humble) opinion, Mayhem is the most overrated band on that list and don't really deserve any more votes than what they have. I know this is simply my opinion though, and a different point of view will come to different conclusions. For e.g. If this were an underground metal forum, it's possible things would be reversed and Mayhem would be winning. Why? Because Mayhem are as overrated by the 'kvlt' folks as other bands are by the more mainstream. In the same way that Dimmu would likely be winning if they were included here (don't worry, they wouldn't get my vote), but at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Carpathian Forest are the only band there which I havn't heard the entire discography of (in fact I've never listened to them even once, for some reason...), so I can't comment on them - but I do agree with you Enslaved could do with more votes. I'm a little hesitant with Immortal - I really love them, but I find it difficult to compare them fairly with the other bands on the list. All the other bands there, I enjoy (excluding some albums) most of the time.

You're right - polls are very flawed - but not because the people who vote for Emperor and/or Immortal are overrating them.

...says me
17.07.2007 - 12:45
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Damned-In-Black on 17.07.2007 at 11:30

Written by Lucas on 15.07.2007 at 23:13

Says you

In my (humble) opinion, Mayhem is the most overrated band on that list and don't really deserve any more votes than what they have. I know this is simply my opinion though, and a different point of view will come to different conclusions. For e.g. If this were an underground metal forum, it's possible things would be reversed and Mayhem would be winning. Why? Because Mayhem are as overrated by the 'kvlt' folks as other bands are by the more mainstream. In the same way that Dimmu would likely be winning if they were included here (don't worry, they wouldn't get my vote), but at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Carpathian Forest are the only band there which I havn't heard the entire discography of (in fact I've never listened to them even once, for some reason...), so I can't comment on them - but I do agree with you Enslaved could do with more votes. I'm a little hesitant with Immortal - I really love them, but I find it difficult to compare them fairly with the other bands on the list. All the other bands there, I enjoy (excluding some albums) most of the time.

You're right - polls are very flawed - but not because the people who vote for Emperor and/or Immortal are overrating them.

...says me

You don't really give arguments for your statement. (Neither did I). Why do you think Mayhem is overrated?

I can understand one would find albums such as DMDS and Ordo Ad Chao just a complete mess. But there is no use denying the influence the first had, and probably the latter will have.

And definitely check out Carpathian Forest. Awesome Black 'N' Roll. (Or punkish black, if you like)
----

17.07.2007 - 14:26
Damned-In-Black
Written by Lucas on 17.07.2007 at 12:45

You don't really give arguments for your statement. (Neither did I). Why do you think Mayhem is overrated?

I can understand one would find albums such as DMDS and Ordo Ad Chao just a complete mess. But there is no use denying the influence the first had, and probably the latter will have.

And definitely check out Carpathian Forest. Awesome Black 'N' Roll. (Or punkish black, if you like)

Yeah, I'm aware I didn't give arguments for my points. Didn't want to come across as if I was trying to prove something which obviously can't be proven. Actually I only used the word 'overrated' with regards to Mayhem because you did with regards to Emperor. In general I don't like to use that term in this context. It's nigh impossible to back up the statement that "x band is overrated" even if sometimes it seems obvious to oneself.

I fully understand the influence of DMDS and early Mayhem in general - you're right, it can't be denied. That said, while it can be recognised and respected, it doesn't have a whole lot to do with the quality of their music, from my point of view. I'm not trying to suggest they're bad or anything like that. Though I can't name an album from them which I can completely say I truly enjoy - They have obvious qualities yet on the whole do very little for myself. The chaotic nature of Ordo Ad Chao is ok, but other features turn me off it. Same with DMDS.

Hmm, so - sorry I didn't answer the "Why do you think Mayhem is overrated?" question. In short, there's probably no answer that would satisfy. Similarly, I doubt you could convince me that your belief of Emperor as being overrated is valid or has any real backing.

And thanks - I'll give Carpathian Forest a listen sometime soon. Not sure why I never have before, to be honest.
17.07.2007 - 14:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by NECURATU on 17.07.2007 at 11:24

Hey, what about bands that are Norwegian on the inside? They don't count?

Anyhow, I would have voted Mayhem but it seems my voting permition has been burried by time and dust

What you mean by this part?
----

apos;'
[image]
17.07.2007 - 15:26
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Damned-In-Black on 17.07.2007 at 14:26

I fully understand the influence of DMDS and early Mayhem in general - you're right, it can't be denied. That said, while it can be recognised and respected, it doesn't have a whole lot to do with the quality of their music, from my point of view. I'm not trying to suggest they're bad or anything like that. Though I can't name an album from them which I can completely say I truly enjoy - They have obvious qualities yet on the whole do very little for myself. The chaotic nature of Ordo Ad Chao is ok, but other features turn me off it. Same with DMDS.

Ok, sounds very reasonable. Actually, this could be the reasoning from my side for Emperor as well.

Quote:
Hmm, so - sorry I didn't answer the "Why do you think Mayhem is overrated?" question. In short, there's probably no answer that would satisfy. Similarly, I doubt you could convince me that your belief of Emperor as being overrated is valid or has any real backing.

I think you're very right.

Quote:
And thanks - I'll give Carpathian Forest a listen sometime soon. Not sure why I never have before, to be honest.

Good! I suggest Strange Old Brew for the early stuff, and Fuck You All!!!!! for the later. (the later, the more punk influences). The first EP is also said to be good, though I haven't heard it yet. (And I should, soon). It's called Through Chasm, Caves And Titan Woods.
----

17.07.2007 - 16:15
NECURATU
Written by Bad English on 17.07.2007 at 14:32

What you mean by this part?

Oh it was intened to be a stupid pun dirrected to all other non norwegian trvkvlt nekrogrim blakk metal bands hahaha. Especially those that spring up around the year 2007 in south east europe and sing about grim and frostbitten satanic northern evil. I noticed it's a growing phenomenon, really.

As for the second part, it seems no more voting allowed for me, I've bad some time ago, very bad
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
17.07.2007 - 17:32
Infurnace
Enslaved has become one of my all-time favorite bands! They are pretty much the best Progressive Black Metal band. With every new album, they seem to get a little bit more Progressive. I love it. Too bad I already voted Immortal, because now my vote would definitely go to Enslaved.
18.07.2007 - 13:43
Eternal Flame
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 16.07.2007 at 17:19

Written by Guest on 16.07.2007 at 12:43

No value for Burzum? Without Burzum no depressive Black Metal.

Yeah I know.. Haha..
19.07.2007 - 23:03
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
^ Burzumish bands are ruling the whole depressive underground black metal scene .... i shalt become (r.i.p.) , sterbend , LOC , make a change kill youself , anti , hekel , dusk are few of them.
22.07.2007 - 16:48
Abattoir
Staff
We are immortal and the sun rise no more... Vote for Immortal, cause they are realy great band of BM. Also their concert yesterday on Metalcamp convinced me to improve my opinion that they are the best Norwegian BM band for me...great show, amazing . Also the other BM bands are very good...Satyricon, Emperor...
20.04.2008 - 17:06
ArtiA
Robin Goodfellow
yeah Emperor is so good but I can say despite I like death and doom genre but I like some band : darkthrone , burzum , gorgoroth , dark funeral
----
"The WAY" is perfect and complete like boundless space nothing redundant but because the mind continues to make distinction.