which?

Matt Barlow
Tim Owens "The Ripper"
John Greely

Total votes: 52
08.09.2008 - 00:01
Valentin B
Iconoclast
this might sound something like "BLASPHEMY!!" to die-hard Iced Earth fans, but i choose John Greely because frankly though he sung on only one album, he has one of the biggest ranges i've heard in my life, almost as big as Phil Anselmo's, and that dude has the biggest range i've heard(he equals him on the song "angel's holocaust", the bit with "THEY'RE SCRRRREAAMING"), and apart from the unbelievable flesh-cutting high notes, he can go as low until he's practically indistinguishable from Schaffer(Travel in Stygian)

of course the masters of vocal ranges are still Halford, King Diamond and Eric Adams, but they never had such a huge range when recording an album or playing live or something(like Anselmo and GrrrrrRRReely).

of course Barlow can move mountains with his incredibly epic voice, and Ripper can cut through diamonds with his amazing crystal clear shriek, but no-one equals this dude, he's a monster, period.
08.09.2008 - 18:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I dont know, because I like all, but my fav albums are ''Iced Earth'' and ''Night Of The Stormrider'' so and also I like werry much song ''Birth Of The Wicked''
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.09.2008 - 19:56
Richard

I voted for John Greely too. A shame he only sang on Night of the Stormrider - wasn't he kicked out for some reason? I agree with Valentin B about the impressive vocal range, and he has a distinctive style and good control. Barlow's voice is powerful and distinctive too, but it sometimes becomes overdramatic and cheesy IMO. I actually thought Tim Owens did a really good job vocally on The Glorious Burden, but was given some cheesy lyrics to sing which rendered the songs awkward to listen to.
----
08.09.2008 - 20:49
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Richard on 08.09.2008 at 19:56

I voted for John Greely too. A shame he only sang on Night of the Stormrider - wasn't he kicked out for some reason? I agree with Valentin B about the impressive vocal range, and he has a distinctive style and good control. Barlow's voice is powerful and distinctive too, but it sometimes becomes overdramatic and cheesy IMO. I actually thought Tim Owens did a really good job vocally on The Glorious Burden, but was given some cheesy lyrics to sing which rendered the songs awkward to listen to.

i agree about the cheesy lyrics on Burden.

also, from Metal-Archives: Former vocalist, John Greely, was ejected from the band after making anti- Semitic comments while on tour with Blind Guardian in Europe. Jon Schaffer took John Greely to a former concentration camp in hopes of trying to change Greely's attitude. While they were there, Greely made anti-Semitic comments towards a Jewish man who was praying. Greely also expected that since he was the frontman of a band that he should be getting more money. When his wishes were not met, he tried to steal money from then-bass player Dave Abell. He was immediately kicked out when the tour ended

guess he is one of the guys vividly described in the song "Burnt Offerings" , so chances of re-union were zero from the moment he got kicked out.. such a damn shame, that guy was INCREDIBLE, too bad he was an asshole.......
08.09.2008 - 21:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Valentin B on 08.09.2008 at 20:49

Written by Richard on 08.09.2008 at 19:56

i agree about the cheesy lyrics on Burden.

Cheasy lyrics , I never had read those lyrics, one of band what lyrics I never had read at all, weird it sounds but its true , but from hearing I say 50% are good 50% cant comment, but I dont know how thay write those lyrics, what first melody or lyrics
Some bands write some good lyric before music, some do it otherway
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.09.2008 - 21:04
-Soulreaper-

Matt Barlow bar none. Tim Owens is a crappy vocalist and John Greely just isnt as good as Matt in my opinion.
08.09.2008 - 21:15
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Matt Barlow is the No1 for me, one of my all time favorite vocals in Metal. I think I have never heard more powerful voice than his.
Nice chance to mention John Greely too, since I really like his work in Iced Earth. After Barlow's departing, I wouldnt mind getting Greely back, at all. But yeah, he seemed to be an idiot.

On the other hand, I never managed to enjoy Iced Earth with Tim Owens, and I dont think he was good choice for Iced Earth.
----
09.09.2008 - 03:36
Richard

Written by Valentin B on 08.09.2008 at 20:49

also, from Metal-Archives: Former vocalist, John Greely, was ejected from the band after making anti- Semitic comments while on tour with Blind Guardian in Europe. Jon Schaffer took John Greely to a former concentration camp in hopes of trying to change Greely's attitude. While they were there, Greely made anti-Semitic comments towards a Jewish man who was praying. Greely also expected that since he was the frontman of a band that he should be getting more money. When his wishes were not met, he tried to steal money from then-bass player Dave Abell. He was immediately kicked out when the tour ended

guess he is one of the guys vividly described in the song "Burnt Offerings" , so chances of re-union were zero from the moment he got kicked out.. such a damn shame, that guy was INCREDIBLE, too bad he was an asshole.......

I wasn't aware of that!! I never expected someone in Iced Earth to be a bit of a 'Varg'! I did a websearch after seeing your post earlier, and it seems that he's in another band nowadays which is of a similar style to that era of Iced Earth. Perhaps the anti-Semitic stuff was just youthful rebellion and he's distanced himself from it nowadays..
----
20.02.2009 - 06:51
munson

I'm all about "The Ripper" -- he was the vocalist for my two favorite Iced Earth Albums )Framing Armageddon and The Dark Saga). The other guys are just as talented, though. Personal preference only here.
20.02.2009 - 10:36
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by munson on 20.02.2009 at 06:51

I'm all about "The Ripper" -- he was the vocalist for my two favorite Iced Earth Albums )Framing Armageddon and The Dark Saga). The other guys are just as talented, though. Personal preference only here.

you mean "The Glorious Burden", Barlow was on "Dark Saga", Burden was the only other album with Ripper on vocals.
20.02.2009 - 11:02
munson

Written by Valentin B on 20.02.2009 at 10:36

Written by munson on 20.02.2009 at 06:51

you mean "The Glorious Burden", Barlow was on "Dark Saga", Burden was the only other album with Ripper on vocals.

Really? Aw, crap. I've got it all ass backwards... how embarrassing...
03.04.2009 - 23:25
Wyrd

Why the Hell isn't Gene Adam on this list!? he was soo good!
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
04.04.2009 - 13:51
Black_Sheep

Matt Barlow is the best. Definetly.

Tim "Ripper" Owens is awesome as well. Really great. But Matt just fits perfectly for IE
----
"Reality is almost always wrong."
16.07.2009 - 17:38
Jan Destiny

Matt Barlow! He is Metal!
----
"Fiction is the truth inside the lie" (Stephen King)
17.07.2009 - 08:13
Warlock84

Matt Barlow, hands down... his voice just exudes pure passion and emotions in every song. He has a natural talent that lets you know he really feels what he is singing. He is the predominant voice of Iced Earth, and undoubtedly the best... especially live.

Tim Owens is definitely a close second... "Gettysburg 1863" is probably the most epic piece of music I have ever heard and he nailed the vocals so well. The rest of The Glorious Burden has it's highs and lows, but overall that's what made the album amazing. Framing Armageddon was, too, an incredible album from start to finish and again he did a wonderful job with that as well. I just feel he lacks the emotion and range that Barlow has. He's arrogant as hell live, and and just doesn't really seem to fit with Iced Earth as well. Regardless... an amazing vocalist, and all the respect in the world... taking over for Halford AND Barlow. I feel bad for him because he keeps getting fired!

As for the first 2, everything they worked on was redone far better by either Barlow or Owens, so I really don't even consider them in the running.
----
All we are is the passion that burns inside us
19.07.2009 - 11:55
Peuranpuolikas

Barlow.
He is the reason why I am such a IE -fan nowadays. When I first heard Dante´s Inferno, I knew this band was going to kick some ass. And it did.

Greeley is also very good (for having such a massive range), but my vote still was still for Barlow. I don´t care much for Ripper - sorry guys - but his nothing compared to these two. Gene Adams is out of the table for reason. (He sucks)
----
Look, The old Bitch is back!
11.08.2009 - 16:48
Razorback

Matt Barlow,impressed me on first listening,really unique voice ,other guys are good to but for me Barlow gave charm to this band .
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
02.10.2009 - 03:49
ToMegaTherion

Matty and John Schaffer are Iced Earth. Others have their moments, but Mat Barlow has something special about his voice.
19.01.2010 - 21:27
thewall30

This is a no brainer, Matt Barlow... like the guy above me said, Matt Barlow and John Schaffer are Iced Earth pretty much.

P.S. Why isn't Gene Adam on the list
----
10.07.2010 - 17:23
Behdaad
DEAD
Matt Barlow - No question!
----
As tyranny becomes normality;
We hang at the end of the rope.
12.08.2010 - 02:08
JD
Account deleted
Tim Owens "The Ripper" i just love this guy
12.08.2010 - 04:39
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Definitely Matt Barlow. His voice just seems to suit the band better than any other they've had. In saying this though, I really love John Greely's singing on "Night Of The Stormrider", and Ripper also did a good job when he joined the band. Gene Adam was awful. Even though musically, the debut is mostly great.