Metal Storm logo
Esoteric

Original post

Posted by , 09.09.2008 - 01:39
In light of their recent output: 'The Maniacal Vale' I thought it necessary to make a thread for the English Doomsters.

'The Maniacal Vale' will undoubtedly find its way to the top of many people's favourite albums of '08 (most likely mine included) but in all honestly I think it goes beyond that. I daresay it's become the representative Funeral Doom album altogether; it's pretty much perfect in every respect. Lasting an hour and 40 minutes one would think they'd become bored of it when in fact every second will seem as brilliant as the last, the track 'Caucus of Mind' being an interesting break from the doom being almost pure death metal (and fine death metal it is too). The entire album is both heart-achingly depressing and gloriously uplifting if that's not an oxymoron. Ah, I love how the UK is still killing the rest of the world where doom is concerned.

'Subconscious Dissolution into the Continuum' is pretty special too, that's all I've heard of their stuff but I'm guessing it's all quality.
17.04.2010 - 23:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Esoteric in the extreme forum? Happy days!
18.04.2010 - 00:07
Lucas
Mr. Noise
yeah, I'm glad this happened. Now I never have to visit the Melodic metal forum again! Yey! Well, except for Trad. Doom and moderation purposes, I guess...

Man, I just can't get over how awesome Esoteric's The Maniacal Vale is. I mean, it's getting ridiculous. Usually, after some time (months) I drop the fanboy-ism and just say "yeah, it's a masterpiece, be sure to check it if you dig xxx'. But with The Maniacal Vale, I'm still "omg!!!!!!!11111oneeoneone'.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
18.04.2010 - 00:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 18.04.2010 at 00:07

Now I never have to visit the Melodic metal forum again! Yey! Well, except for Trad. Doom and moderation purposes, I guess...

Haha, this is exactly what I was thinking
18.04.2010 - 00:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
The Maniacal Vale is indeed a masterpiece in a ridiculous high level. I believe that it's one of the albums I will always drol over it and I will probably always remember it. There's only one album that has the same effect and it is Acid Bath's debut. Both albums have done some HUGE impressions in my way of understanding music.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.04.2010 - 13:28
InnerSelf
proofread free
It had the same impression on me , and I do believe that it is realy hard for any other band to top this album and if I may say it is actually hard for the band itself to top The Maniacle Vale
But I am crossing my fingers for their upcoming album
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
18.04.2010 - 13:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
There's currently (and has been for a while) a battle raging in my head for the greatest funeral doom album between 'The Maniacal Vale' and Evoken's 'Antithesis of Light'. Then again Catacombs' 'In the Depths of R'lyeh' frequently rears its ugly head as competition too.
19.04.2010 - 06:29
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 18.04.2010 at 13:55

There's currently (and has been for a while) a battle raging in my head for the greatest funeral doom album between 'The Maniacal Vale' and Evoken's 'Antithesis of Light'. Then again Catacombs' 'In the Depths of R'lyeh' frequently rears its ugly head as competition too.

I've been thinking about this as well. The only reason why I haven't made a poll is because there's much I haven't heard. Still, nothing can beat The Call of the Wretched Sea by Ahab.

From what I've heard, I'd say The Maniacal Vale is the second greatest
19.04.2010 - 13:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 19.04.2010 at 06:29

Written by Guest on 18.04.2010 at 13:55

I've been thinking about this as well. The only reason why I haven't made a poll is because there's much I haven't heard. Still, nothing can beat The Call of the Wretched Sea by Ahab.

I can see Ahab winning a funeral doom poll. I reckon Skepticism's 'Stormcrowfleet' and Thergothon's 'Stream From the Heavens' (if only for its importance) doing well too. Maybe even Asunder's 'Works Will Come Undone'
19.04.2010 - 19:40
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
While i listen to both releases by Ahab more than Esoteric (or Evoken), i would have to cast my vote for Maniacal Vale as being the king of the hill. it's just so monstrous an album.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.04.2010 - 14:21
kesh
Account deleted
Wouldn't think you could compare Ahab, Evoken to Esoteric. I like both bands alot but Esoteric are out on there own in terms of the influence they've had on me. But am i the only person that think's 'The Pernicious Enigma' is still there best album? I mean, i've played all there albums to death, including 'The Maniacal Vale', and i absolute worship the album (bought the t-shirt) but for flat-out-extreme-insane doom i still think 'The Pernicious Enigma' is planting it's flag higher. Suppose there very different albums, and 'The Maniacal Vale' didn't have the shock value to it after hearing and been ready for an Esoteric album. Which i wasn't with 'The Pernicious Enigma or Metamorphogenesis'.
21.04.2010 - 14:23
InnerSelf
proofread free
Ahab would win because it is much softer "if I may use the word soft " on the ear than antthing Esoteric has ever done but I see Ahab amongst the very very best
----
is not bold enough
21.04.2010 - 14:31
Throne Dweller

My only beef with the Maniacal Vale is that it makes the rest of Esoteric's albums look like shit.
27.04.2010 - 20:28
farmakon
Whispering Gloom
Written by Guest on 21.04.2010 at 14:21

Wouldn't think you could compare Ahab, Evoken to Esoteric. I like both bands alot but Esoteric are out on there own in terms of the influence they've had on me. But am i the only person that think's 'The Pernicious Enigma' is still there best album? I mean, i've played all there albums to death, including 'The Maniacal Vale', and i absolute worship the album (bought the t-shirt) but for flat-out-extreme-insane doom i still think 'The Pernicious Enigma' is planting it's flag higher. Suppose there very different albums, and 'The Maniacal Vale' didn't have the shock value to it after hearing and been ready for an Esoteric album. Which i wasn't with 'The Pernicious Enigma or Metamorphogenesis'.

The Pernicious Enigma is Esoteric's best album for me too. Only Worship's Last Vinyl Before Doomsday can beat this masterpiece. The Maniacal Vale is number 4 for me - behind Subconscious Dissolution... and Metamorphogenesis.
28.04.2010 - 03:10
kesh
Account deleted
Written by farmakon on 27.04.2010 at 20:28

The Pernicious Enigma is Esoteric's best album for me too. Only Worship's Last Vinyl Before Doomsday can beat this masterpiece. The Maniacal Vale is number 4 for me - behind Subconscious Dissolution... and Metamorphogenesis.

Since i saw that Worship were headlining DDD two years ago i've been kinda saving them for when i get sick of the backlog of albums i've got now. Heard bit's and bobs of there stuff and like it alot, but if your saying that Last Vinyl Before Doomsday is better then The Pernicious Enigma im buying it right now.

As for The Manical Vale been 4th, i'm not sure, it's hard to compare them, Metamophogenesis is WAY more experimental with the way it shifts in intensity and creates little oasis's but it's totally unique, nobody could pull an album off like that. So i'd say that is better. Plus i like Epistemological Despondency more in certain moods, the first CD, its a much dirtier simpler sound, just depends.
20.11.2011 - 06:18
Rog-Mothoth

This article hasnt had any circulation for a year and i would like to say that "Paragon of Dissonance" is AWESOME!!!
That is all. Discuss.....
----
Written by Guest on 25.08.2011 at 06:44

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 25.08.2011 at 01:04

EVERYBODY CALM DOWN.

... I can hear your prog boners from here. D:<

Liar... Everyone knows the only way to sense a boner is by smell D:<
20.11.2011 - 06:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I think the lot of us are busy discussing it in the album thread. :s
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.11.2011 - 01:47
Rog-Mothoth

Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.11.2011 at 06:25

I think the lot of us are busy discussing it in the album thread. :s

Well yea but i thought it would be nice to have a still forum topic reenergized if you will....damn im still laughing at Dangerboner's pic post
----

EVERYBODY CALM DOWN.

22.11.2011 - 12:12
InnerSelf
proofread free
I expected to listen to nothing but the new release from when I got it but the new BaN stole its light, I still have to give it a proper listen
----
is not bold enough
25.11.2011 - 04:25
Rog-Mothoth

I discovered this site (thanks to Meshugga's FB post) and would this drink fit Esoteric well or even taste good?
http://drinkify.org/esoteric
----

EVERYBODY CALM DOWN.

25.11.2011 - 04:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Not that I'm a boozer, but I imagine something like absinth(e) (I forget whether the real one has the "e" or not) would go well with Esoteric.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.11.2011 - 04:41
Rog-Mothoth

Well i didnt think of the drink of course since if im mixing drinks at 15 ive got some serious problems
----

EVERYBODY CALM DOWN.

25.11.2011 - 04:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Pff, the guys in Esoteric have probably been mixing drinks since their early teens. How else do you explain their uncanny ability to create such psychedelic music?
----
25.11.2011 - 21:55
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I received the album today. I haven't checked out any of the available samples. Only listened to the first disc so far, but it sounds fine. Can't wait for the inevitable sunday hangover to fully dive into it.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
10.12.2011 - 15:26
Candlemass
Defaeco
The new album sounds promising on the first listen. Tho I'm not sure about the quality of the songwriting (distinctiveness).
10.12.2011 - 20:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Candlemass on 10.12.2011 at 15:26
Tho I'm not sure about the quality of the songwriting (distinctiveness).

What is it about the album that you don't find distinctive?
----
10.12.2011 - 20:15
Candlemass
Defaeco
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.12.2011 at 20:04

Written by Candlemass on 10.12.2011 at 15:26
Tho I'm not sure about the quality of the songwriting (distinctiveness).

What is it about the album that you don't find distinctive?

The songs you mean. I find it hard to find a distinctive quality in each song, they still didn't hit roots with me.
10.12.2011 - 20:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Candlemass on 10.12.2011 at 20:15
The songs you mean. I find it hard to find a distinctive quality in each song, they still didn't hit roots with me.

I've never considered Esoteric a band to judge based on a song-by-song analysis. They're more of an "album" band, in that the overall product is better judged as a sum rather than parts.
----
10.12.2011 - 20:31
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.12.2011 at 20:23

Written by Candlemass on 10.12.2011 at 20:15

I've never considered Esoteric a band to judge based on a song-by-song analysis. They're more of an "album" band, in that the overall product is better judged as a sum rather than parts.

Just like Grindcore!

Yeah a bit offtopic but it's not every day that you can compare a funeral doom band with grindcore.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.12.2011 - 20:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.12.2011 at 20:31
Yeah a bit offtopic but it's not every day that you can compare a funeral doom band with grindcore.

I think conceptually they are actually very easy to compare - sometimes in terms of similarities, other times in terms of differences. Both genres have close ties on the same and opposite ends of the metal spectrum.
----
11.12.2011 - 02:27
Savopipo

Grinddoom?
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com