Metal Storm logo
Darkspace

Original post

Posted by , 09.09.2008 - 02:35
Darkspace, getting bigger by the day, are a rather awesome ambient black metal band from Switzerland and comprise the brain behind the legendary Paysage d'Hiver. They've had 3 releases now, 'III' this year released to pretty huge critical acclaim. All their stuff is quite similar, very cold, slightly abbrasive lo-fi black metal occasionally permeated by spacey keyboards somewhere in the thickness of it all. Despite how commonplace ambient BM is, Darkspace manage to carve out a pretty decent niche with their unique space themed music. 'III' was a somewhat more melodic affair, giving them some accessibiity without compromising their harsh sound too much and was a highlight for me this year, and many others I'm sure.
11.01.2012 - 12:43
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I'm just fine hearing, Darkspace through speakers for the time being, from my position, and their budget it seems out of the question.

I'd like to hear word on them making a new album though ( ANYBODY HEARD ANYTHING?) I haven't seen any news about it. Their feed has been quiet for awhile now, quiet like.... Space....
----
Coldgrits
11.01.2012 - 14:22
InnerSelf
proofread free
Their label said that there will be a 2012 release, It was mentioned somewhere in their Last.fm page
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
14.01.2012 - 00:02
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
That would be good news.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.03.2013 - 20:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 15.03.2013 at 17:35

Are those CD re-releases nice packages? Meaning is it just toilet paper + CD, lots of great stuff + CD, or something in between?

I only know the re-releases of the first 2 albums by Avantgarde Music in 2006. They are just regular cd jewelcases with the regular artwork and a slipcase that looks like this:
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.03.2013 - 22:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 15.03.2013 at 22:03
Okey thanks. Is there text of some sort, or anything special? And in general, what's the essence; cheap, decent or cool?

It doesn't look cheap to me, just... empty. Then again the music does really requires words of any sort (shit, do they even have lyrics?)
Use discogs, it usually has pics from the different versions. This is the 2006 re-release of their second album.

aaaaand here's the info of all their other stuff. I like that website.
----
Rod, let me love you.
16.03.2013 - 04:14
no one
Account deleted
Never heard darkspace but really like the paysage d'hiver albums i have (self titled,Kristall & Isa and winterkilter in the mail). How different are they? i could definitely not imagine a paysage d'hiver show to be any good. That kind of music just wouldn't agree with a live atmosphere, in fact i only really like to listen to pdh by myself so i can concentrate and get the full feel of the music.
16.03.2013 - 16:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 16.03.2013 at 04:14

Never heard darkspace but really like the paysage d'hiver albums i have (self titled,Kristall & Isa and winterkilter in the mail). How different are they? i could definitely not imagine a paysage d'hiver show to be any good. That kind of music just wouldn't agree with a live atmosphere, in fact i only really like to listen to pdh by myself so i can concentrate and get the full feel of the music.

There's quite a difference... Less noisy and slightly more melodic. More structured as well (since PDH sometimes can even pass as noise). Definitely just as atmospheric though and they really take the whole space concept and make it work just like PDH make their winter atmosphere work.
Also, I disagree... Music such as ambient, drone and similar stuff works nicely live if the artist is able to do it right.
----
Rod, let me love you.
16.03.2013 - 22:22
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I believe that website is very reliable when it comes to different versions of cds tbh.
Written by Guest on 16.03.2013 at 22:03
Anyway, that kind of simple but fitting content is nice for one CD, but if it's pretty much the same for all the (full-price) albums then it's pretty banal thing to do after all. So, understandable approach, but yep.. banal.

Considering how big the band isn't... I never even expected any sort of cute package. Just a cd which is all I need for tht kind of genre anyway. It's just a re-release because most of the first press being sold out for the first two albums. For the first cd we are just talking about 500 digipaks and that's it. Let alone for the "-1" demo. So no... I don't see how it is banal if it was sold out.

EDIT: Just checked it out... and the first press for both the first and second album were limited to 500 each. So no wonder they wanted to do a re-release.
----
Rod, let me love you.
16.03.2013 - 22:43
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Finally got into them recently...its kind of music i cannot listen to every day, but there are days when i find it absolutely awesome!
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

16.03.2013 - 22:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 16.03.2013 at 22:39
Why did I bring this thing up? Because I'm planning what to buy now, what later (and when) and what never (never including stuff that isn't interesting enough /or/ might end before I get it).
Thanks

Oh, no problem! In my case... As long as I have the cd I'm fine. I always check first if there's a special super-duper-truper edition of an album and try to hunt that one but if it doesn't existor if it is completely sold out, I'm just happy to get the album even if it's minimal.
----
Rod, let me love you.
18.03.2013 - 20:39
The Turbanator

Written by Ellrohir on 16.03.2013 at 22:43

Finally got into them recently...its kind of music i cannot listen to every day, but there are days when i find it absolutely awesome!

You might wanna check Paysage d'Hiver if you haven't. Same member, released a new demo this year which is pretty excellent. If it's a cold night, put on Paysage d'Hiver. If you're stoned the fuck out of your mind and want to be alone in a dark room, blast Darkspace. Their music somehow is different but both are fantastic.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
18.03.2013 - 22:40
no one
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 18.03.2013 at 20:39

You might wanna check Paysage d'Hiver if you haven't. Same member, released a new demo this year which is pretty excellent. If it's a cold night, put on Paysage d'Hiver. If you're stoned the fuck out of your mind and want to be alone in a dark room, blast Darkspace. Their music somehow is different but both are fantastic.

fuck it i'm convinced, im ordering me some darkspace!
18.03.2013 - 22:45
no one
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.03.2013 at 22:40

Written by The Turbanator on 18.03.2013 at 20:39

i'm convinced, i'm ordering me some darkspace!
Harvesting my northern lights this week, and the cold bitter southerly is already starting to blow, making it all the more appropriate .:dcool:
19.03.2013 - 16:59
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Yea, i know one older demo by Paysage d'Hiver...not bad either

i will put it on my list of suggestions for TBL - "to be listened"...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

07.07.2013 - 12:04
mz

It is a little annoying that I seem to be the only one which prefers II over III. II has its longer songs (which I always prefer over shorter ones) and noisy, lo-fi production. The funny part is that I am not even used to noisy and lo-fi production that much as I once tried darkthrone's blaze and couldn't stand it because of its production. III is a little more melodic (sorry but no other proper word came to my mind) and has some death metal moments which does not sound compatible with the atmosphere. Still III is great album. I guess I should check out I and Paysage d'Hiver
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
07.07.2013 - 17:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I like II but III just wins easily because the longer songs just don't justify their length as much as they could if you ask me. III feels far more consistent.
I don't know if I would call the riffs death metal though. They just have a "chuga-chuga" sound but that's it.
----
Rod, let me love you.
07.07.2013 - 23:11
mz

I agree that they are not death metal riffs, my exageration there. They are but "death metal"ish
Also, I definitely think that longer songs justify their lenght
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
08.07.2013 - 04:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
The second song in particular could have been shorter.
----
Rod, let me love you.