+ Broken, Beat & Scarred
+ The Day That Never Comes
+ All Nightmare Long
+ Cyanide
+ The Unforgiven III
+ The Judas Kiss
+ Suicide & Redemption
+ My Apocalypse

It's always very difficult to analyze what Metallica has created, seems as normal criteria doesn't apply to them, so I might as well just get this off my chest - if ?Death Magnetic" wasn't a Metallica album, I would probably rate it pretty darn close to ten stars. However, since I too have the impressive legacy of their previous works to consider, I will not. This of course technically makes me a whore - that's fair, I digest. But numbers and stars aside, do I think this is a good album?

The answer is yes. Yes I do. ?Death Magnetic" effectively gaps the bridge between the old and the new. The cynic in me wants to add that the album has the tempo of the old days and the lyrical lunacy of the modern era - and he's right. Unlike with Metallica's earlier works, ?Death Magnetic" isn't too generous with providing addictive vocal hooks. That is not to say that there are none, but they are not always immediately obvious. What is obvious, however, is the fact that ?Death Magnetic" is an ??And Justice for All" inspired riff-fest (except with bass). It rolls on with a steady thrashing pace and an ominous sound of thunder - a blackness which I didn't believe Metallica possessed anymore. As if the mad riffing wasn't enough, Kirk lets his shredding-self run free, to a point of sheer insanity. Even James puts on a helluva show and keeps his vocal fluxions at bay, sounding rather gritty indeed. Occasionally he does drift to the mellow side (?The Unforgiven III"), although frankly these occasions are surprisingly intriguing. As downers one might point out the relatively jumpy and diverse musical side, which in combination with the somewhat limited lyrical themes make ?Death Magnetic" not exactly the easiest to listen record around. It does, however, utterly kick ass.

Despite the tempo-frenzy one has to bare in mind the fact that we are dealing with the new Metallica. ?Death Magnetic" is not the new ?Master of Puppets". Personally I'm actually relieved about that - instead of copying their older lore, the band has thrown in some recognizable blasts from the past and melded them into their "new old sound", thus making ?Death Magnetic" a rock-solid comeback statement, a truly crushing mosher and above all, a true contemporary Metallica classic.

Written by destroyah | 12.09.2008

Guest review by
BobNickMad
Rating:
Metallica made fans to wait 5 years for a new album,again.The first Wait was between ''Metallica'' and ''Load'',the second was between ''Garage inc.'' and ''St.Anger''. And the last one between ''St.Anger'' and this album:''Death Magnetic''. ''Load'' and ''St.Anger'' were disappointments, is ''Death Magnetic'' another disappointment? Hell no.

Read more ››
published 04.05.2009 | Comments (31)

Guest review by
Lupas
Rating:
After St. Anger's dismal fallout, Metallica definitely needed to shake their foundations if they were going to retain their fame, fortune and most of all, their following. Luckily, they did, and quite efficiently too, as new album Death Magnetic distinctly restores their credibility.

To help themselves out, they brought in major league producer Rick Rubin (of Slayer, System Of A Down and Johnny Cash fame), who seems to have gauged the perfect balance between the grittier edge of Metallica's classic sound circa And Justice For All and the music they tried (not so successfully) to inject into St Anger.

Read more ››
published 03.01.2010 | Comments (18)

Comments

Comments: 146   Visited by: 1251 users
12.09.2008 - 11:45
destroyah
supercharger
When I wrote the thing I originally wanted to give it a 7.5, but it has become very difficult to put DM down...
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
12.09.2008 - 11:48
Rating: 10
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
wooohoooo, awesome review!and very true indeed.
Metallica's back baby!
----
Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will.
12.09.2008 - 11:56
Stigma
Account deleted
Allrighty then, I guess I'll go buy the album after all.
12.09.2008 - 12:07
The Thrasher
Account deleted
metallica finally create a good record!!!
12.09.2008 - 12:25
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
thanks man! at least there are some eyes
i give it a 10 even if it is metallica, cause i think its somthin like "...And Justice For All" and a maybe a little better than it.
12.09.2008 - 12:26
Rating: 3
Talvi

This review miss many points in this record, like how the production barely let anything but drums to be heard, and how almost every solo is based almost solely on simple scales.

Even in their old days they tried a bit harder.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
12.09.2008 - 12:34
Mindheist
No Longer Human
What can I say? Metallica have never let me down, all of their discography is worth picking-up, even St Anger which is the band's worst album. Concerning Death Magnetic, I think that's the best rating buddy, couldn't be less or more...You'll never believe what's happening in Tunisia right now as I'm writing this comment, many friends of mine went to France to Buy it because it will arrive to Tunisia only on 13, Sep, which is a day after the worldwide release, and I think they should, it's worth the trip, yeah baby the best thrash metal band in the US and probably in the world is back! LONG LIVE METALLICA!
12.09.2008 - 12:37
Rating: 9
bobbyechobrain

hopefull.
am glad to hear those songs from them this time.
hear THE JUDAS KISS?
12.09.2008 - 14:31
Justice

I think we have 10 great song from metallica
DM is a great work from metallica
hail metallica
12.09.2008 - 14:41
kaoskrew

Sounds like I will at least have to give it a listen then!
----
John
Kaos Krew Promotions
"Metal Music Facilitators"
Sponsors of Black Winter Day http://www.blackwinterday.co.uk
12.09.2008 - 15:01
Rating: 6
Stigmatized
Actually a solid album, and this coming from a guy who has never been a Metallica fan. The big problem for me is that the album is way too long.
12.09.2008 - 15:16
Shadowcross
The Summoner
I actually enjoyed listening to this when a friend was. I'm not a Metallica fan and personally i wouldn't buy or listen to it, but I thought it rolled along really nicely. I didn't think 'turn it off now' like some of those previous records..
I don't think Kirk's guitars are 'insane' tho, thats all fairly moderate playing.. with a great guitar sound.
12.09.2008 - 16:52
Rating: 8
juanopereira

Finally Metallica is back. At last wa can hear some doble basses and great guitar solos!! great album I already have it
12.09.2008 - 17:13
Demon Heart

They are the gods of rock, i always loved them and now, more than ever, the've back much more powerfull than 5 years ago, DETH MAGNETIC is awsom, solos are grate, after 22 years i've heard strong bass on MetallicA's songs, james is good as ever, and lars "i love you". i'm agree that we don't listen to another master of puppets, but Deth magnethic will Quench your thirst for metalica.
----
It's a black cloud over head
That's me
And the poison ivy chokes the tree
Again it's me
12.09.2008 - 17:43
hearts_alive
Account deleted
definately 8/10. Better than; St.Anger, Reload, Load and The Black Album. Tis up there with the best Metallica albums, although it does sound a lot different to the 80's stuff, but having variety in your 'metal diet' is a good thing. m/
12.09.2008 - 18:05
Bigpaul

it.s an 8.5 for me, Suicide & Redemption is a bit of a disappointment, I don't think the main riff is strong enough to carry it off as an instrumental. Still lots of good stuff on it though...well worth a listen!
12.09.2008 - 18:08
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Overall this is a good album, the best since 1988. Rick Rubin has saved Metallica! Thks RR!
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
12.09.2008 - 18:42
Demonmayonnaise

It was said to be somewhat of an album to bridge the gap between the black album and and justice, and I think thats a fairly correct description. Its not bad, but its also not the greatest thing in the world.
12.09.2008 - 19:17
Thrash666

METALLICA IS BACK!!!!!!!

ALL HAIL MAETALLICA!!!!!!!
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
12.09.2008 - 19:18
xdissectionx

Not impressed with this album. If you think you are going to buy it, surely you have the forethought to listen to it in its entirety first...
----
12.09.2008 - 19:54
Rating: 6
Nerevarine

Just bought, and I think it's actually a good album,but Lars really don't deserves to play on it.Too loud, ,far too loud, and they don't deserve that treatement;i didn't really pay very much attention on the solos, but anyway, metallica's solos aren't my favorites at all so I didn'texpect very much of them.Favoutite song:All Nightmare Long.
----
This Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie, And With Strange Eons, Even Death May Die
12.09.2008 - 19:58
Rating: 7
Iced Angel

Written by Nerevarine on 12.09.2008 at 19:54

Just bought, and I think it's actually a good album,but Lars really don't deserves to play on it.Too loud, ,far too loud, and they don't deserve that treatement;i didn't really pay very much attention on the solos, but anyway, metallica's solos aren't my favorites at all so I didn'texpect very much of them.Favoutite song:All Nightmare Long.

I totally agree with lars business ... he sucks very bad
12.09.2008 - 21:21
BloodTears
ANA-thema
This is actually a good album. I didn't expect it to be so agressive, didn't expect it to be consistent as it is.

I think the cover is pretty nice as well I just got it today and only listened to it once but I see myself going back to it, for sure.

I guess I expected more from Kirk's solos, that would be one low of the album for me, apart from some exceptions here and there. But it doesn't hurt the album.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
12.09.2008 - 21:27
Rating: 7
MunZ

Bought this album today the 12th. of september 2008 at 1 am (Coffin in Box + 2 more CD's - where one of them is ltd. edition ... and I'm not done yet)

Though I can't listen to the album, because I'm at my mothers place and her stereo sucks (not a friendly or fair way to blast the album the first time )

So I'm freakin' looking forward to blast those ol' boyband music out my speakers when I arrive at home

Lars Ulrich ... kom snart til Danmark, tak! (english: "Lars ... visit Denmark soon, thanks!)
----
"The fire burns, but why am I still so cold?" -SaturnuS
12.09.2008 - 21:54
Rating: 9
Arymetall

its a great album to come after that st.anger. and the 'suicide redemption' is one of those song that stay for a long time. great song.
12.09.2008 - 22:00
kollera
Account deleted
drinkin a whiskey and listening to the new Metallica stuff, must say it´s simply fantastic. true metal sound again, remind me the best moments from Justice... and slightly St. Anger music.
Yes this bend is a real metal legend, fantastic kirk´s solos. James is in a great condition. For me it´s easy = 10pts ::
12.09.2008 - 22:12
Iceland_Norway

I'm listening in streaming on Youtube and from Metallica site eheh.

That's Fucking good Album now. They are come back now.

I can call the band newly METALLICA eheh. I will buy it soon as Possible.

----
Føroyar mítt land

Tú alfagra land mítt

Føroyar mín Móðir
12.09.2008 - 22:13
hard_tom

BIG SURPRISE, really the best what Metallica in these days can made ! Forget the disappointment albums St.Anger, Load and Re-load.
My rating : guitar work : 10, vocals : 6 (more aggressive, James, please !), then the result is : EIGHT.
12.09.2008 - 22:33
Enissa

Im sure that this album is better than St anger(in many different ways)
but its a little surprising
I mean Death Magnetic is somehow a little strange for me
This album is good, Im not saying its bad
but i waited something more
for example: James's Voice is little strange, sometimes i barely recognize it!
Drums are little low & sometimes away from the rest (Guitars & Vocals)
maybe the Production isnt too Great
The music & melodies ROCK!
but The Unfogiven III doesnt fit the Trilogy I think..
It's way too far from the Previous 2 Masterpieces, but its nice anyway especially the use of Keyboards at the start
& I like the other Songs, like "Suicide & Redemption" & "The DAy that Never Comes" & the First 2 songs
Anyway, Metallica Did an Excellent work (For Music), and Im not going to judge That by the Production or To Compare it to "...And Justice For All"
or "MAster Of Puppets" or any other work
My Rate is 8
and by the way: GOOD Review
12.09.2008 - 22:37
Dark Blood
The Avenger
God! I thought you were dead.. AHAHAH!!! Welcome back METALLICA!!!
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.

Hits total: 26458 | This month: 23