+ Broken, Beat & Scarred
+ The Day That Never Comes
+ All Nightmare Long
+ Cyanide
+ The Unforgiven III
+ The Judas Kiss
+ Suicide & Redemption
+ My Apocalypse

It's always very difficult to analyze what Metallica has created, seems as normal criteria doesn't apply to them, so I might as well just get this off my chest - if ?Death Magnetic" wasn't a Metallica album, I would probably rate it pretty darn close to ten stars. However, since I too have the impressive legacy of their previous works to consider, I will not. This of course technically makes me a whore - that's fair, I digest. But numbers and stars aside, do I think this is a good album?

The answer is yes. Yes I do. ?Death Magnetic" effectively gaps the bridge between the old and the new. The cynic in me wants to add that the album has the tempo of the old days and the lyrical lunacy of the modern era - and he's right. Unlike with Metallica's earlier works, ?Death Magnetic" isn't too generous with providing addictive vocal hooks. That is not to say that there are none, but they are not always immediately obvious. What is obvious, however, is the fact that ?Death Magnetic" is an ??And Justice for All" inspired riff-fest (except with bass). It rolls on with a steady thrashing pace and an ominous sound of thunder - a blackness which I didn't believe Metallica possessed anymore. As if the mad riffing wasn't enough, Kirk lets his shredding-self run free, to a point of sheer insanity. Even James puts on a helluva show and keeps his vocal fluxions at bay, sounding rather gritty indeed. Occasionally he does drift to the mellow side (?The Unforgiven III"), although frankly these occasions are surprisingly intriguing. As downers one might point out the relatively jumpy and diverse musical side, which in combination with the somewhat limited lyrical themes make ?Death Magnetic" not exactly the easiest to listen record around. It does, however, utterly kick ass.

Despite the tempo-frenzy one has to bare in mind the fact that we are dealing with the new Metallica. ?Death Magnetic" is not the new ?Master of Puppets". Personally I'm actually relieved about that - instead of copying their older lore, the band has thrown in some recognizable blasts from the past and melded them into their "new old sound", thus making ?Death Magnetic" a rock-solid comeback statement, a truly crushing mosher and above all, a true contemporary Metallica classic.

Written by destroyah | 12.09.2008

Guest review by
BobNickMad
Rating:
Metallica made fans to wait 5 years for a new album,again.The first Wait was between ''Metallica'' and ''Load'',the second was between ''Garage inc.'' and ''St.Anger''. And the last one between ''St.Anger'' and this album:''Death Magnetic''. ''Load'' and ''St.Anger'' were disappointments, is ''Death Magnetic'' another disappointment? Hell no.

Read more ››
published 04.05.2009 | Comments (31)

Guest review by
Lupas
Rating:
After St. Anger's dismal fallout, Metallica definitely needed to shake their foundations if they were going to retain their fame, fortune and most of all, their following. Luckily, they did, and quite efficiently too, as new album Death Magnetic distinctly restores their credibility.

To help themselves out, they brought in major league producer Rick Rubin (of Slayer, System Of A Down and Johnny Cash fame), who seems to have gauged the perfect balance between the grittier edge of Metallica's classic sound circa And Justice For All and the music they tried (not so successfully) to inject into St Anger.

Read more ››
published 03.01.2010 | Comments (18)

Comments page 4 / 5

Comments: 146   Visited by: 1251 users
19.09.2008 - 19:19
Rating: 9
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.09.2008 at 16:18

Written by BehzadSh on 19.09.2008 at 03:54

I think Death magnetic is just piece of shit, and I agree with Marcel that if it was from another band I would rate it near 10. This album is just noise. I think 5/10 is good for album rate

I never said that. I said that if another band had released it no-one would pay any attention to it.

So are you saying that if it wasn't popular you'd give it a ten (based on its obscurity) but since about 3/4 of earth's population has heard of it, its garbage?

Edit:Ah so confused by that post
20.09.2008 - 20:20
Rating: 8
StratoDan1990

The best metallica release since the black album IMO. It's like the missing link between ..And Justice For All and the Black Album. A must buy
20.09.2008 - 23:33
ß
Problem?
Er why does this cd have so many 10s?..
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
20.09.2008 - 23:58
Nicko's Nose

Fanboys...

St Anger got some 10s too, so...
21.09.2008 - 06:35
Demonmayonnaise

This album got a 7 from me. I hate the fanboys too. Lets give every Metallica album a 10. Yay! Now I bet they feel accomplished. Metallicock in mouth syndrome. Never fails.
21.09.2008 - 18:06
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Maybe its getting 10's because its ACTUALLY a good album. I was thinking of giving this a 10 myself but I just can't seem to get myself to do it (yet), so a 9 will suffice for now. IMO this is their best since Master of Puppets (I honestly never got why AJFA is considered so great, such subpar composition), yet great for entirely different reasons.

kind of reminds me (like everyone says) of as if AJFA and the Black album had a baby and both improved everything that held the albums back, as well as the overal strenths as well (only thing that hasn't improved I suppose is speed, but speed doesn't neccesarily mean quality). It's probably their tightest album as well, and all of the songs just allow the listener to get lost in the songs, while never really allowing itself to ride on "catchiness" exclusively. There is a lot I can rant and rave about the album but I'm just gonna end on that this album is shockingly great and doesn't really have an "bad" songs, everything will eventually grow on you. 9ish/10
21.09.2008 - 19:21
ß
Problem?
Last time I checked a 10 was a perfect rating so by giving it a 10 it's perfect in every way?
----
22.09.2008 - 05:32
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Written by ß on 21.09.2008 at 19:21

Last time I checked a 10 was a perfect rating so by giving it a 10 it's perfect in every way?

Well by that logic, no Opeth albums should be 10's, since they aren't perfect in EVERY way, since their are albums which are faster and more aggressive. Now in theory, Opeth could be faster yet still retain both their dark grim animositous sound and progressiveness, yet don't so they can't be perfect.
Perfection is rather arbitrary, eh?
Perhaps the only reason I havn't given this a 10 is because I havn't really gotten the sense of knowiing that I'm hearing something just undeniably incredible, or perhaps I'm just antsy about giving this ealbum a 10 (despite not finding the ability to take it out of my cd player for something else)
23.09.2008 - 00:54
ß
Problem?
Fair enough
----
27.09.2008 - 22:33
stygian

Written by Martin_metal on 17.09.2008 at 06:56

Metallica goes back to their old sound. I think this one sounds a bit like the "justice" album, with a little "load" and "black album" in it. It´s a good album, but no classic. After a while it getting boring. They have lost it, and that was a long time ago. But still not bad at all, just not interesting any moore..

yeah i agree with you on the sound of it, theyve got me hooked on it though...
30.09.2008 - 17:31
Rating: 7
Tod_Engel

The new album is good, it got 7 from me.. The highlight for me are Kirk Hammett's solos (the best one imo in Suicide & Redemption). Favorite songs are My Apocalypse and Suicide & Redemption. I won't comment on production very much. It could have been better for that money and experience of mixers and mastering experts. And now when they try to sound somewhat complex on this album, they should experiment with a bit more progressive sound for next one.
03.10.2008 - 00:34
Piere
Account deleted
I think it's a good album. Most of the songs are really cool and energetic (and I've missed that in Metallica's three previous albums, along with a whole bunch of other things ofc). It's not as good as their highest rated albums, but as for me, they have gained some credibility again when it comes to writing a decent album ... I think a lot of us did wonder whether they we're up to the task of creating another album with their old spirit. I believe it's a success. Especially The Judas Kiss, All Nightmare Long and Suicide & Redemption are killers in my opinion. The album would probably have a higher rating if it wasn't for The Day That Never Comes and The Unforgiven III. But all credit to Metallica. They're still an amazing band!
05.10.2008 - 20:39
Nicko's Nose

I still love it, but I have to admit that its quite easy to get bored of it.
12.10.2008 - 20:39
freddie420666

honestly, at first i didnt know what to expect from this new album. i honestly thought it was going to be another Load, Reload, or St. Anger. but when i got it and listened to it. i was very shocked. tis a kickass album. in my opinion i think that almost all the songs are ace. cyanide is the only one i dont really care for. but it still is an alright song. all in all, after the release of this album, i am still proud to call Metallica my favorite band.
13.10.2008 - 12:59
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
hehe.. the first song is very boring until the beggining of the solos at 5:30 min ''The End of the line'' is better, ''All nightmare long'' is the best song in my opinion.
But I really prefer St. Anger style. when it comes to Metallica, i like the catchy nu-metal riffs and the weird drums But this album has a couple of songs that i can enjoy.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
17.10.2008 - 06:49
HeathenBlood
Account deleted
Kirk hamment on dave mustaine..hahaha..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H0l1GKbdxA
17.10.2008 - 08:36
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Well, not funny. The guy's just a moron.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
20.10.2008 - 18:38
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
To me it's a bit better or at least equal to Black Album.. Nice job from a band that is lost between their past and their hot hot money... They remebered after many years to work..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
25.10.2008 - 01:12
Warman
Erotic Stains
At first I thought the album was really good but after a while it became even better. I listen to it more now than during its first release days. A very special mix of "Ride the Lightning", "Master of Puppets" and "...And Justice for All" with a thick layer of Load over it. Okay, I'll be honest. Puppetz and Lightning aren't as obvious as Load and Justice, but I can certainly hear a "Ride the Lightning" solo at one place and "Disposable Heroes" at another.
It sounds like Metallica has held all that early aggression and Thrash inside them for the last 20 years and suddenly they just let it all out. And for the first time ever I actually enjoy Kirk's solos throughout the whole album. Yes, I'm a Metallica fanboy who thinks most Kirk Hammett solos says... nothing.
During the (many) highlights, "Death Magnetic" is IMO the best they've done since '86.

Oh, almost forgot. The album is amazing, but "Suicide & Redemption" must be the most boring shit I've heard from them.
----
30.10.2008 - 03:02
Rating: 10
Oskmrgo83
Oskmrgo83
Every single song from this albhum is excellent, except by "Suicide and Redemption".
----
Now it's time to... rock!!!!!
31.10.2008 - 19:15
THRASHTILDEATH

THE BEST ALBUM SINCE JUSTICE
03.12.2008 - 09:05
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Best album since the first 4. Wonder why it took them almost 20 years to do this, but anyway... Will never live up to the Metallica of old but its not too bad.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
06.12.2008 - 11:21
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Warman on 25.10.2008 at 01:12

At first I thought the album was really good but after a while it became even better. I listen to it more now than during its first release days. A very special mix of "Ride the Lightning", "Master of Puppets" and "...And Justice for All" with a thick layer of Load over it. Okay, I'll be honest. Puppetz and Lightning aren't as obvious as Load and Justice, but I can certainly hear a "Ride the Lightning" solo at one place and "Disposable Heroes" at another.
It sounds like Metallica has held all that early aggression and Thrash inside them for the last 20 years and suddenly they just let it all out. And for the first time ever I actually enjoy Kirk's solos throughout the whole album. Yes, I'm a Metallica fanboy who thinks most Kirk Hammett solos says... nothing.
During the (many) highlights, "Death Magnetic" is IMO the best they've done since '86.

Oh, almost forgot. The album is amazing, but "Suicide & Redemption" must be the most boring shit I've heard from them.

I don't think it's boring at all. The riffs are great.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
06.12.2008 - 17:12
FOOCK Nam

I like The Day That Never Comes, very mellow.
19.12.2008 - 20:16
FariD AzadI

Some songs are good....but most are very boring....songs begin good but in middle of them i go tired....metallica cannot write good long songs.....another problem is wick recording...espesially for drums.
01.01.2009 - 13:55
Rating: 7
V8Thrasher

I really enjoyed your review of "Death Magnetic". It seems like a coming back to form since "St. Anger", although i was able to listen through that album.

upon my first listen it was definitely a shock to hear them like this. Thrash. Metallica are a Thrash band, and listening to this brought a huge smile to my face. my only complaints about this album are:

1. typically it takes about 2 min to get to the actual song, the intros are nice but maybe they should of done that on a song or two.
2. the production value. its TOO high. im listening to a playlist at the gym and im listening to Master of Puppets then My Apocalypse comes on, it blows my ears off. so now i have to make sure i lower the volume before a song from Death Magnetic comes on.

but all in all..... 8/10 from me. Welcome Back Metallica
06.02.2009 - 07:09
IronBlackZepp

Probably one metallica best. Better then the Black album in my opinion.
01.03.2009 - 19:49
terrorist

Great album,great comeback!!!Thrash is rising up again!!!!!:banger2:
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
27.03.2009 - 14:08
Andresopeth

I agree with what Metallica said about this album "Is the best album that we could have done in this moment", forget abour Load, Reload and St Anger, this album has solos, agression, fast riffs, nice drum arrangements and meanning, so, this is, in my opinion, a very good album which makes me admire even more Metallica, is amazing how a band almost 30 years after their first album can create something so good! Long live to them!
31.03.2009 - 19:54
Dominus
The Shooter
Great piece of crap!!!

Hits total: 26451 | This month: 16