Master Of Puppets vs Rust In Peace

Original post

Posted by K†ulu, 13.09.2008 - 23:40
Well, here is the deal. Master Of Puppets has always been my no. 1 all-time album, but after I had discovered Rust In Peace something changed. Especially now I find myself hopelessly hooked to this album. It's just amazing.

Well, both albums are classics and maybe even flawless masterpieces. One has an ingenious "Master Of Puppets," the other a decent match of "Holy Wars." One has a classic of an instrumental, the other has the number, quality, and beauty of solos that one other album I have ever heard has. Well, there is kind of a tie situation here, but... right now I feel like voting for Rust In Peace; I do think it's better, and so be it. My vote goes to Rust In Peace.

This is a pretty light poll, so no massive discussions are needed as this is a rather subjective matter. If you have something to say though, please do, e.g. favorite moments, solos, lyrics, riffs or maybe drawbacks if you find any... I just want to see who will win in such a battle.

But please, I freaking beg you on my knees, don't post anything like "Megadeth rules" or "Metallica suxx." And don't vote for a particular album just because one of these bands is your favorite.

Poll

Which one is better? (be objective)

Rust In Peace
Master Of Puppets

Total votes: 358
31.07.2017 - 14:50
VIG
Crimson King
Quote:
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.07.2017 at 06:19

Folks who heard it the day it came out weren't listening to it filtered through 30 years of baggage.

I heard MoP the first day it came out and already thought it was a weak carbon copy of RtL. Btw I still think so to this day and agw.

Yeah, in this case I don't think it matters, because when MoP came out, RtL was already out (obviously), so MoP was nothing mind blowing, at least for those who were familiar with RtL
01.08.2017 - 18:57
dmiller458
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.07.2017 at 06:19

Written by dmiller458 on 31.07.2017 at 05:46

Written by VIG on 31.07.2017 at 02:46

Written by dmiller458 on 31.07.2017 at 01:53

Written by VIG on 30.07.2017 at 16:50
First two Metallica albums were amazing, the rest are mediocre if not horrible.

Help me out here. When did you first hear Master of Puppets?

Why does that matter?

I don't know, probably 8 years ago or something like that

Folks who heard it the day it came out weren't listening to it filtered through 30 years of baggage.

I heard MoP the first day it came out and already thought it was a weak carbon copy of RtL. Btw I still think so to this day and agw.

Whether you liked it or not, you were still listening w/o 30 yrs of baggage.
02.08.2017 - 12:23
tominator
I prefer Countdown To Extinction personally. And Ride The Lightning is my favourite Metallica record.

So yeah... given the choices I'll probably go with Rust In Peace. I like both albums but Master Of Puppets has a few more duds in it imo.
26.08.2017 - 16:51
Vinther1991
Master of Puppets easily for me. Outside the 3 killer tracks on Rust in Peace (Holy Wars, Hangar 18 and Tornado of Souls) and to a lesser extent Dawn Patrol/Rust in Peace, the album really doesn't do anything for me. Not that the other songs are necessarily bad, they are just not that memorable either. Megadeth tend to focus too much on the technique and less on the variety and emotion, this is already evident in Rust in Peace, and is a huge problem in their more recent albums. Peace Sells is by far my favorite Megadeth album, it truly shows what makes Megadeth unique and it has no fillers. That is a masterpiece, while Rust in Peace is just a very good perhaps even great album.

Master of Puppets on the other hand is just fantastic from beginning to end, I love the variety of trakcs and the emotion put into the album. There isn't really any filler. Probably my second favorite metal album of all time.
13.09.2017 - 17:44
Megadeth and Metallica are two of my favourite bands of all time and Master Of Puppets And Rust In Peace are two flawless masterpieces.And it is very hard for me to choose the best one.But I prefer Megadeth so I have to go with Rust In Peace.