Metal Storm logo
Master Of Puppets vs Rust In Peace

Original post

Posted by K✞ulu, 13.09.2008 - 23:40
Well, here is the deal. Master Of Puppets has always been my no. 1 all-time album, but after I had discovered Rust In Peace something changed. Especially now I find myself hopelessly hooked to this album. It's just amazing.

Well, both albums are classics and maybe even flawless masterpieces. One has an ingenious "Master Of Puppets," the other a decent match of "Holy Wars." One has a classic of an instrumental, the other has the number, quality, and beauty of solos that one other album I have ever heard has. Well, there is kind of a tie situation here, but... right now I feel like voting for Rust In Peace; I do think it's better, and so be it. My vote goes to Rust In Peace.

This is a pretty light poll, so no massive discussions are needed as this is a rather subjective matter. If you have something to say though, please do, e.g. favorite moments, solos, lyrics, riffs or maybe drawbacks if you find any... I just want to see who will win in such a battle.

But please, I freaking beg you on my knees, don't post anything like "Megadeth rules" or "Metallica suxx." And don't vote for a particular album just because one of these bands is your favorite.

Poll

Which one is better? (be objective)

Rust In Peace
Master Of Puppets

Total votes: 415
13.05.2009 - 19:15
terrorist
These two albums are both great,it's not imortant to comapre them.Just listen to it and enjoy.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
15.05.2009 - 00:54
Wyrd
Rust in Peace!
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
16.05.2009 - 03:19
BuzzPhil
I think that Master Of Puppets is better than Rust In Peace, but... Rust In Peace sounds very good too but... like StaytallicA said, Master Of Puppets marked me so I voted for MoP...
16.05.2009 - 04:53
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Man, I'm getting so tired of threads like this, but I guess I have to explain myself.

Rust In peace is a thrash Masterpiece and I'm not denying that Puppets is as well, but, frankly, I have a personal preference for Megadeth. While I know they actually helped to create the very sound that I will now describe, I think that alot of metallica's sound is kind of Cliche' in the thrash realm. I still love 'tallica, but MD keeps my attention alot more effectively. The rhythms are more complex and definitly more creative, their songs are influenced from everything to punk to straight rock to jazz to exotic scalework, not to mention their slightly progressive influences. Most of you probably saw that coming a mile away though...
anyway yeah, RIP FTW
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
16.05.2009 - 08:33
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Arian Totalis on 16.05.2009 at 04:53

Man, I'm getting so tired of threads like this, but I guess I have to explain myself.

Man, no need to be tired because this is not of "those" threads. I think I made myself clear in the opening post. These two album are my all-time favorites, and so it was interesting who would be winning.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
16.05.2009 - 09:25
thesabbathfan
Rust in piece for sure.

i thought lars totally ruined what is otherwise a terrific album.
----
18.05.2009 - 00:15
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by thesabbathfan on 16.05.2009 at 09:25

Rust in piece for sure.

i thought lars totally ruined what is otherwise a terrific album.

Yes, Lars Ulrich is a punk drummer in a metal band.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

18.05.2009 - 00:17
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by K✞ulu on 16.05.2009 at 08:33

Man, no need to be tired because this is not of "those" threads. I think I made myself clear in the opening post. These two album are my all-time favorites, and so it was interesting who would be winning.

Yeah, I know you said in the opening post to be Objective, but still, it's just so many people will interpret this as "Megadeth vs Metallica" continued. And with my preceeding post, I wasn't putting down all of Metallica, only Lars, and that is only because, well, imo he's a sloppy drummer and his style really is just like, punk. Punk with more fills basically lol.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

18.05.2009 - 01:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Arian Totalis on 18.05.2009 at 00:17

Written by K✞ulu on 16.05.2009 at 08:33

Yeah, I know you said in the opening post to be Objective, but still, it's just so many people will interpret this as "Megadeth vs Metallica" continued. And with my preceeding post, I wasn't putting down all of Metallica, only Lars, and that is only because, well, imo he's a sloppy drummer and his style really is just like, punk. Punk with more fills basically lol.

Lars sloppy? Wow, you're being extremely nice imo (no I am not joking)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.05.2009 - 19:03
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Yeah, I know. Normally I find myself caught somewhere in the middle of the whole for-against Lars argument. I'm more against than for, but when I try to tell people "hey, at least he can keep a rhythm, sort of." lol.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

19.05.2009 - 23:45
Omegabyss
Account deleted
Megadeth Rust in Piece

Holy Wars- GREAT Epic Song
Hanger 18 - Masterpiece
Take No Prisoners - FUCKING MOSH!!!!
5 Magics - Very good song
Poison was the cure - A bit forgetful
Lucretia - Patented Megadeth
Tornado of Souls - The intro TAKES your soul
Dawn Patrol - SICK bass playing
Rust in Piece - Defines METAL

Metallica - Master of Puppets

Battery - Fast, Heavy and Great
Master of Puppets - Legendary song
Thing should not be - Great different song
Sanitarium - Awesome track
Disposable Heroes - Cliche song
Leper Messiah - Boring
Orion - Entertainig Instrumental
Damage Inc. - Sexy Sexy!!!!

Rust in Piece wins with the overall album feel. Master dies towards the end and thats why Megadeth gets the nod
28.08.2009 - 14:15
Panterica
It's very hard to say which is better - RIP is far more technical and interesting, but dawn patrol kinda ruining it to me, it's so boring I want to cry. MOP is also a great album, it's not as interesting as RIP, but there are "downs" either. I think I'll still vote for RIP, with such masterpieces as Holly Wars, Hangar 18 & Take No Prisoners it just can't lose.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
07.09.2009 - 10:22
Ankläger
Metallica has better lyrics, Megadeth has a better lead guitarist (Tornado of Souls with it's one minutes solo) and drummer, and I prefer their riffs. Rust also has better production (though Metallica is not at fault, since Puppets is 4 years earlier) which is a big thing for me when I'm listening to thrash. I vote for Megadeth.
07.09.2009 - 17:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I was thinking about this comparison and I came to the conclusion it is impossible to compare the two since they were made at different times in the bands' respective careers.

MoP being Metallica's third and thereby oh so crucial album (remember that at the time a bnad's thrid album was generally regarded as the make or break album) and it was of course Megadeth's fourth album.

So when compating the two I would say
compare
Kill Em All to Killing Is My Businees
then
Ride The Lightning to Peace Sells
and then of course
Master Of Puppets to So far, So Good, So What
and then
And Justice For all to Rust In Peace
and lastly
Metallica to Countdown To Extinction.

After this it becomes harder to compare single albums because of much longer breaks in between alvums when it came to Metallica.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.09.2009 - 02:55
Shogun
Vocals go to - Metallica. I really Don't like Dave's vocals sometimes. It sounds like he is really sick.
Guitarwork - Tie. Both have incredible everything. I lean slightly towards Megadeth, but a lot of the acoustic stuff in MoP makes me go back. I can't decide.
Bass - Metallica. Does Megadeth even have a bassist? Hah.

Everything else is just not really important. I love both, but between these two albums, Master is better.
----
U.S.A. for Satan!
18.09.2009 - 16:30
Guib
Thrash Talker
Really MAster of Puppets ?

I dont think so...

Rust In Peace.. 4 the win
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
24.09.2009 - 05:48
MetallicA
Master of Puppets ofcourse!
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
24.09.2009 - 06:57
danielllewis
Rust in peace. The riffs are better, it's filled with awesome solos, and Dave's vocals are unique unlike James Hetfield's.

Master Of Puppets is very overrated in my opinion. Battery is nice, but the rest of the album is very boring to me.
----
25.09.2009 - 17:53
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
M O P is better than R I P.simply better........
16.10.2009 - 05:13
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Rust in Peace is the definitive thrash metal album of the 80s. Period.
16.10.2009 - 23:21
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by bloodwrage on 16.10.2009 at 05:13

Rust in Peace is the definitive thrash metal album of the 80s. Period.

it wasn't released in the 80's. period.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.10.2009 - 11:56
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Maybe I'm nuts but I feel Peace Sells is a waaay better album than R.I.P. - so guess which way I voted!
----
rekt
17.10.2009 - 12:25
Znoy
Why MoP is so great? Rust in Peace is not good.
All albums - Zzzzzzzzzz...
17.10.2009 - 14:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by tea[m]ster on 17.10.2009 at 11:56

Maybe I'm nuts but I feel Peace Sells is a waaay better album than R.I.P. - so guess which way I voted!

No, youre not nuts. I also find Peace Sells much better than R.I.P. but then again a lot of 35+ people regard Peace Sells as the superior album of the two.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.10.2009 - 23:39
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

i agree as well. "RIP" is interesting, tons of great riffs, is MegaDave's second best effort - but lacks some of the, well, BALLS found in "Peace Sells."
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.10.2009 - 23:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 17.10.2009 at 23:39

i agree as well. "RIP" is interesting, tons of great riffs, is MegaDave's second best effort - but lacks some of the, well, BALLS found in "Peace Sells."

On RIP I missed the venom Dave possessed on Peace Sells, just listen to his anger on the title track Peace Sells. At times RIP is too slick sounding imo.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.10.2009 - 02:23
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.10.2009 at 23:48

On RIP I missed the venom Dave possessed on Peace Sells, just listen to his anger on the title track Peace Sells. At times RIP is too slick sounding imo.

balls, bile, bite, whatever you want to call it - it was something Peace Sells had (in addition to the stellar musicianship on both) that RIP was lacking.
----

18.10.2009 - 02:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 18.10.2009 at 02:23

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.10.2009 at 23:48

balls, bile, bite, whatever you want to call it - it was something Peace Sells had (in addition to the stellar musicianship on both) that RIP was lacking.

Yep, totally agreed, and also the true Dave snarl. That I truly miss a lot on the albums afteer So Far So Good So What
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.10.2009 - 05:47
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
Puppets delivers epic bluesy thrash and rust gives the angry technical thrash...i go for rust.
19.10.2009 - 03:37
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.10.2009 at 14:41

No, youre not nuts. I also find Peace Sells much better than R.I.P. but then again a lot of 35+ people regard Peace Sells as the superior album of the two.

Interesting demographic view Marcel! RIP isn't a bad album, as a matter of fact Holywars... is my fav Megadeth song!
----
rekt