Metal Storm logo
Master Of Puppets vs Rust In Peace

Original post

Posted by K✞ulu, 13.09.2008 - 23:40
Well, here is the deal. Master Of Puppets has always been my no. 1 all-time album, but after I had discovered Rust In Peace something changed. Especially now I find myself hopelessly hooked to this album. It's just amazing.

Well, both albums are classics and maybe even flawless masterpieces. One has an ingenious "Master Of Puppets," the other a decent match of "Holy Wars." One has a classic of an instrumental, the other has the number, quality, and beauty of solos that one other album I have ever heard has. Well, there is kind of a tie situation here, but... right now I feel like voting for Rust In Peace; I do think it's better, and so be it. My vote goes to Rust In Peace.

This is a pretty light poll, so no massive discussions are needed as this is a rather subjective matter. If you have something to say though, please do, e.g. favorite moments, solos, lyrics, riffs or maybe drawbacks if you find any... I just want to see who will win in such a battle.

But please, I freaking beg you on my knees, don't post anything like "Megadeth rules" or "Metallica suxx." And don't vote for a particular album just because one of these bands is your favorite.

Poll

Which one is better? (be objective)

Rust In Peace
Master Of Puppets

Total votes: 415
19.10.2009 - 03:40
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by BitterCOld on 17.10.2009 at 23:39

Written by tea[m]ster on 17.10.2009 at 11:56

Maybe I'm nuts but I feel Peace Sells is a waaay better album than R.I.P. - so guess which way I voted!

i agree as well. "RIP" is interesting, tons of great riffs, is MegaDave's second best effort - but lacks some of the, well, BALLS found in "Peace Sells."

I remember when I first heard "Wake Up Dead"...whoa...how fast it was, how heavy it was, just had to pick up the album!
----
rekt
20.10.2009 - 09:42
GamlaSonn

"Which one is better? (be objective)"

be objective? wat?!

OT: master of puppets
12.05.2010 - 15:33
Angel Of Mercy

Rust in piece. As I am a guitarist my self. I find that Kirk Hammets wankery of Emin Pentatonic gets too much, but friedman uses all these exotic scales. Which I find to be more, emotional.
----
Your time will come.
14.05.2010 - 03:47
whatsacow

Written by Angel Of Mercy on 12.05.2010 at 15:33

Rust in piece. As I am a guitarist my self. I find that Kirk Hammets wankery of Emin Pentatonic gets too much, but friedman uses all these exotic scales. Which I find to be more, emotional.

As much as i hate kirk hammet with a passion, and hope someone confiscates his guitar before he does even more damage to our intstruments name, i do absolutlely love the ride the lightening/master of puppets era. master of puppets gets my vote.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
15.05.2010 - 13:10
Angel Of Mercy

Written by whatsacow on 14.05.2010 at 03:47

Written by Angel Of Mercy on 12.05.2010 at 15:33

As much as i hate kirk hammet with a passion, and hope someone confiscates his guitar before he does even more damage to
our instrument

I love this post.
----
Your time will come.
15.05.2010 - 18:36
Reza
Account deleted
Master Of Puppets
26.05.2010 - 00:11
TheIrishAssassin

A very tough choice, as these are my 2 favorite albums of all time, but i have to give the edge to Rust In Peace. from beginning to end, every song is a masterpiece, one of only maybe 3 or 4 albums that i can say that about, Master Of Puppets being another, however. The song quality is great on both albums, as is the guitar playing, especially on Rust In Peace. Marty Friedman is one of the best guitarists ever, and he was at his best on Rust In Peace.
29.05.2010 - 15:53
vezzy
Stallmanite
I'll admit, I've always been prejudiced towards Megadeth, but I honestly think RIP is better, although MoP is very close.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
29.05.2010 - 17:25
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by GamlaSonn on 20.10.2009 at 09:42

be objective? wat?!

Agreed, like what?
----
29.05.2010 - 18:15
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Warman on 29.05.2010 at 17:25

Written by GamlaSonn on 20.10.2009 at 09:42

be objective? wat?!

Agreed, like what?

what I mean is this: "... don't vote for a particular album just because one of these bands is your favorite." It's the last sentence of the opening post.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
29.05.2010 - 18:29
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by K✞ulu on 29.05.2010 at 18:15

what I mean is this: "... don't vote for a particular album just because one of these bands is your favorite." It's the last sentence of the opening post.

Alright, don't think most users care though (if I know my MS right). But I see what you mean.
----
02.06.2010 - 21:22
Storchillarn

"Be objective" - Haha, I laughed. I was objective when I voted for Master of Puppets, meaning this is objectively the best album of the two and the people who voted for Rust in Piece are liars! =)
23.06.2010 - 22:53
Autius

RIP is in my opinion the winner, a no contest
master of puppets was great but dave mustaine wrote alot of RTL,KEA, and MOP
so what he did is retain most of what he contributed to those metallica albums (witch i hate metallica but i admit those are amazing albums, but i think that is becuase of dave) then he threw in some new stuff, with dave ellefson adding in some stuff of his own, and that made the love baby Rust in Peace, the greatest mistake to ever happen ( i mean it was as good as it is by accident) and does anyone disagree?
this album is the only reason i am a metal head today, hell i can root it to being the reason i am alive today, i believe that the Tornado of Souls Solo is just breath taking, just Buetiful, AND yet filled with rage, gracfully Defiant, the second this fire breathing dragon came into this world, it burnt and scarred metal forever.

i rust my case
----
Som lyset forsvinner
mørket vokser
som lyset forsvinner
Vi Brenn i mørket
som lyset forsvinner
slutten morgener i nærheten
30.06.2010 - 22:40
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Autius on 23.06.2010 at 22:53

so what he did is retain most of what he contributed to those metallica albums (witch i hate metallica but i admit those are amazing albums, but i think that is becuase of dave) then he threw in some new stuff, with dave ellefson adding in some stuff of his own, and that made the love baby Rust in Peace, the greatest mistake to ever happen ( i mean it was as good as it is by accident) and does anyone disagree?
this album is the only reason i am a metal head today, hell i can root it to being the reason i am alive today, i believe that the Tornado of Souls Solo is just breath taking, just Buetiful, AND yet filled with rage, gracfully Defiant, the second this fire breathing dragon came into this world, it burnt and scarred metal forever.

i rust my case

Sure Dave contributed to KEA, less to RTL, and even less (if he did at all) to MOP, but this is absolutely irrelevant. Everything you said about RIP one could say about MOP (like changed metal forever...), except for the Tornadoes solo. Speaking of which... I don't get why so many people love particularly this solo. I like it, but for me the solo in Lucretia beats it and maybe the one in Hanger 18 [2:50-3:06].
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

01.07.2010 - 10:43
MetalFist
Account deleted
I voted for Master Of Puppet's because this has been my favorite album for a long time. It's got all the melody and timing, the solo's and the instrumentals, and even though i do also love Rust In Peace, im giving my vote to Master Of Puppets.

Go Metallica
02.07.2010 - 23:33
Sulac

I'd have to say Megadeth is better than Metallica in general, but Master of Puppets is just a fantastic album that beats RIP, though only barely.
26.07.2010 - 19:56
thewall30

By far Rust In Peace, RIP didnt have one bad song on it at all
----
26.07.2010 - 20:43
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Autius on 23.06.2010 at 22:53
so what he did is retain most of what he contributed to those metallica albums (witch i hate metallica but i admit those are amazing albums, but i think that is becuase of dave)

Geez, I feel like ripping my eyes out any time I see these ludicrous posts from Dave Mustaine fanboys... He did not write "a lot" of RTL, or MOP. He co-wrote 2 songs on RTL, and none on MOP. The most input he had on any Metallica album was KEA, and even on that, he only co-wrote 4 songs. The OP stated he wanted objective opinions in this thread. Blind fanboys are anything but objective.

Although I think Justice V RIP might have been more appropriate, as both were the band's 4th albums, I can see the relevance of this poll. As both albums are widely regarded as being the best albums by both bands. I am a huge fan of both bands, and love both albums, so the decision isnt very easy for me. lol
27.07.2010 - 05:58
Megadethfaun

Rust In Peace gotta love the songs Take No Prisoners, Tornado Of Souls and Lucretia. Master Of Puppets has Battery and Master Of Puppets But Id Have To Go With Megadeth All Songs Are Amazing!
28.07.2010 - 07:07
Damage inc.

Master of puppets easy
16.08.2010 - 03:18
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Not a fan of thrash at all, but I like Rust in Peace a lot. Not so hot on Master of Puppets. Now why is that? As I said, I am not a fan of thrash (half the time I spell it with no h behind the t and that should tell you something), so I can't really tell weather Rust in Peace is far superior or simply not pure thrash. It does have a slight speed metal feel to it, which Master of Puppets doesn't have.

But when it comes to the most important: songwriting, I think Rust in Peace is superior to Master of Puppets like a tank is superior to a wheelchair.
26.08.2010 - 01:07
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 16.08.2010 at 03:18

But when it comes to the most important: songwriting, I think Rust in Peace is superior to Master of Puppets like a tank is superior to a wheelchair.

Now why would you say something like that? Do you really think Master of Puppets lacks anything creative in the songwriting? (just curious)
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

26.08.2010 - 21:53
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 26.08.2010 at 01:07

Written by Guest on 16.08.2010 at 03:18

Now why would you say something like that? Do you really think Master of Puppets lacks anything creative in the songwriting? (just curious)

Didn't mean to insult anyone, I do think MoP is good, but RiP is the only thrash album I have ever really LOVED. In my opinion, many songs on MoP become repetative and boring (The thing that should not be). The analogy about the wheelchair and tank was just supposed to give an idea of how much better I think Rust In Peace is, but as I openly admitted, I know VERY LITTLE about thrash metal. Almost as little as most people know about tax laws.
27.08.2010 - 02:01
slay_tallica

By far Master of Puppets .James was a way better vocalist then pustaine
27.08.2010 - 04:28
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by slay_tallica on 27.08.2010 at 02:01

Fan-boy.
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
27.08.2010 - 05:25
slay_tallica

Hahaah your the fanboy whos all in love with mustaines sack
Written by Zombie on 27.08.2010 at 04:28

Written by slay_tallica on 27.08.2010 at 02:01

Fan-boy.
27.08.2010 - 06:00
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
I rest my case
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
31.08.2010 - 18:00
James HETFIELD

Both METALLICA and MEGADETH are great band. they're my favorites ones.But Master of puppets is the best album of all times without any doubt.
And METALLICA is the best band ever ( Even Dave MUSTAINE said it when i saw them in THE BIG 4 live in Istanbul)
METAL UP YER FUCKIN'ASS!!!
31.08.2010 - 18:33
vezzy
Stallmanite
Yeah, I hate Big Four fanatics too.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
31.08.2010 - 23:11
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
Ok... I do believe that Metallica really got a jump start on the whole thrash thing (obviously they came before Megadeth)... and I think that the older albums are necessities for any thrash fan... they were fucking revolutionary. Personally I hate Metallica for what they've become, but I jam those first 4 albums loud as fuck... where Megadeth's First 3 were great, but pretty similar to each other, not diverse like Metallica's first 3... Rust In Peace makes up for it, it breaks the form he had established on his first three albums... and expands on it, and takes it in a very positive direction... whereas, I see Master of Puppets kind of being three steps from the edge... so to speak. My vote is Rust In Peace.
----
LIGHT THE FUSE ON THAT VAGINAMITE!!!