Metal Storm logo
Týr - Album Re-Release

As posted on the band's website:

"Out of print for many years, Týr's early musical signs of life are almost as secretive as the band's reclusive homeland, the Faeroe Islands. Yet fans of Týr will finally be able to also embrace their early works. The re-release "How Far To Asgaard" comprises not only the debut album of the same title, but also the single "Ólavur Riddararós" (2002). Both releases deliver the ingredients that fans of the Viking Metal genre have come to love and expect, including sweeping vocal lines, diverse songwriting, and extraordinary musicianship, as well as new artwork that fits in perfectly with the album's lyrical theme. Witness the birth of a Viking Metal legend!"

Source: tyr.net
Band profile: Týr
Posted: 14.09.2008 by amarchand

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 11   Visited by: 81 users
14.09.2008 - 14:35
Asitis
So he was kinda kicked out without actually telling 'em? That's rough.
----
The silent moment, right before the dusk fades away
I open my eyes, but the darkness stays
14.09.2008 - 17:30
amarchand
who was kicked out? anyway, i feel kinda bad for these guys, they're a fuckin great band but like so many other bands out there, they barely get any recognition and have to keep re-releasing their albums to get some record sales.. i've seen em twice and they're fuckin great, hopefully theyll rise up in the metal hierarchy
14.09.2008 - 20:11
Piro
I'd disagree, they're pretty well known, I mean, you can find their stuff at most big record shops, and they have a fairly large fanbase.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
14.09.2008 - 21:10
ylside
Staff
Ah great, How Far to Asgaard is my favorite.
14.09.2008 - 21:10
Symmachus
Týr is a band that I have not heard, but want to hear. They seem like a great band. That's all I'll say here.
14.09.2008 - 21:40
Janne
Hugin
Written by Asitis on 14.09.2008 at 14:35

So he was kinda kicked out without actually telling 'em? That's rough.

it wanted to go to Alestorm - guitarist quits
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
14.09.2008 - 21:41
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by amarchand on 14.09.2008 at 17:30

who was kicked out? anyway, i feel kinda bad for these guys, they're a fuckin great band but like so many other bands out there, they barely get any recognition and have to keep re-releasing their albums to get some record sales.. i've seen em twice and they're fuckin great, hopefully theyll rise up in the metal hierarchy

Written by Piro on 14.09.2008 at 20:11

I'd disagree, they're pretty well known, I mean, you can find their stuff at most big record shops, and they have a fairly large fanbase.

They are fairly well known, but they definitely do not get the recognition they deserve. I saw them at Paganfest and they had to follow Eluveitie, so without all the folk instrumentation they seemed a little duller by comparision, so the crowd wasn't really into it. The reason they aren't as recognized is because they don't just play battle songs or drinking songs, which is what the superficial folk fans really want to hear . Plus the Faroese is a little alienating... I think they would definitely appeal more to a progressive metal fanbase, although I love the folk melodies.
14.09.2008 - 23:51
Týr should tour with Opeth... their intricate musicanship and progressive feel would be better appreciated in this environment rather than at a rowdy folk metal show. Folk metallers want a quick fix of fun upbeat stuff (nothing against 'em, I'm one too sometimes), but Týr make their audience think and deeply concentrate. It's a shame they followed Eluveitie during Paganfest, they would have been better as the opener of the night to get everyone into an epic folk mood. Shame that Týr's setlist was so short... they really started to take off with Ramund Hin Unge, but it was their last song. If only they would have played The Edge, that would have won them more fans instantly.
I hope they find a good band to tour with, they really deserve any exposure they can get. A great talented band that crafts their music with care and epic tradition.
15.09.2008 - 06:29
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by worm_is_gloaming on 14.09.2008 at 23:51

A great talented band that crafts their music with care and epic tradition.

I couldn't say that better, just what I feel about this band.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
15.09.2008 - 19:06
Plaguebearer
Quote:

They are fairly well known, but they definitely do not get the recognition they deserve. I saw them at Paganfest and they had to follow Eluveitie, so without all the folk instrumentation they seemed a little duller by comparision, so the crowd wasn't really into it. The reason they aren't as recognized is because they don't just play battle songs or drinking songs, which is what the superficial folk fans really want to hear . Plus the Faroese is a little alienating... I think they would definitely appeal more to a progressive metal fanbase, although I love the folk melodies.

I saw them at paganfest too man. I think they but on almost as good a performance as Ensiferum, which surprised me. First time I heard them too. FOLK METAL!
16.09.2008 - 07:38
Fresh off the press from thunderdometouring.com :

"Pagan/Viking Metallers TYR will return in March 2009 for a follow up to this year's Paganfest. This time the band will have ALESTORM, SUIDAKRA and a yet to be announced band as support."

This yet to be announced band better be Korliklaani!!!

So it's official... Tyr is coming back to the States as a headliner. Which means longer setlist, and more exposure. I hope they finally get to play The Edge and Dreams!

Hits total: 2570 | This month: 12