Metal Storm logo
Which Metallica's Instrumental Song You Prefer More?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 14.09.2008 - 17:11
The main reason which made me to open this poll is music itself! Metallica has wrote a lot of songs but they have only 4 instrumentals and the interesting thing is that they r all in Metallica's Thrash Albums. Kill Em all, Ride The Lighting, Master of Puppets and Death Magnetic (and if they hadnt put Cliff's words in "To Live Is To Die", we could say that they have Instrumental song in all of thrash albums)
and as all of us know, its so hard to write instrmental songs for such bands, cause they cant say their words by lyrics but music. and the other way is the name of the song. its very important in Instrumental songs:

1.take a look at Pulling Teeth(Anesthesia), I always think of it when I listen to its music(i mean i think of Dentist). they choose this name cause its somthin like an action. so we know what we r listening to.

2.The Call Of Ktulu:

The idea of the song "The Call Of Ktulu" is based upon H.P. Lovecraft's sole book "The Shadow over Innsmouth" which was first introduced to the rest of the band by Cliff Burton. The spark of beeing fascinated by the book began quickly spreading over the rest of the band. The song's name was taken from one of H.P. Lovecraft's main story featuring Cthulhu "The Call of Cthulhu" which has been written in 1928 for the magazine "Weird Tales". The name "Ktulu" is originally written

Cthulhu originally sketched
by H.P. Lovecraft

"Cthulhu" by H.P. Lovecraft.

Source:
http://www.encycmet.com/songs/srktulu.shtml

3.Orion, it reminds the stars and the skies for everyone.

4.Suicide And Redemption, it reminds death and the beautiful part it: Redemption.

My reason for the opening of the poll is: In which song metallica have showed their feelings better? (sure the feelings have to be equal to their songs names)
and IMO it shows that when metallica was more "Creative" ? 1983, 1984, 1986 or 2008?

I Chooes "The CAll Of ktulu" myslef, and if have to be honest its the one song which i have my own feelings on it! cause i dont know nothing about "H.P. Lovecraftm". cause i didnt read his books. but IMO "The Call Of Ktulu" is so Creative and very Passonate.

Poll

Which Metallica's Instrumental Song You Prefer More?

The Call Of Ktulu
Orion
Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)
Suicide And Redemption

Total votes: 129
02.04.2009 - 01:53
BuzzPhil
I vote for the Call of Ktulu. I think this song is so powerful... Never get tired of it.
02.04.2009 - 10:25
ToMegaTherion
My vote is for Orion, it is an outstanding instrumental.

One question... To Live is to Die, i would argue that this song should be counted as an instrumental. There is a short section of poetry read at the end but it is otherwise instrumental
02.04.2009 - 15:29
BuzzPhil
Written by ToMegaTherion on 02.04.2009 at 10:25

One question... To Live is to Die, i would argue that this song should be counted as an instrumental. There is a short section of poetry read at the end but it is otherwise instrumental

I agree... If To Live Is To Die were in the list, I would have voted for this.
02.04.2009 - 16:56
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
And actually Metallica members themselves consider it an instrumental, and it just really is one.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
03.04.2009 - 08:10
ToMegaTherion
Written by BuzzPhil on 02.04.2009 at 15:29

I probably still wouldn't have voted for it as i prefer Orion.
Certainly it would be a close second for me and I'm sure that others would also have voted for it. So it's not as though it could have been skipped because it is outclassed or anything like that.
03.04.2009 - 11:02
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by ToMegaTherion on 03.04.2009 at 08:10

Certainly it would be a close second for me and I'm sure that others would also have voted for it. So it's not as though it could have been skipped because it is outclassed or anything like that.

its so better to read the original post, then vote and discuss! as Ive mentioned I didnt put it here cause I didnt want ppl to vote for lyrics or to be honest vote for "Cliff"!

@ktulu I think once Ive told you this.
05.04.2009 - 02:45
ToMegaTherion
Written by Guest on 03.04.2009 at 11:02

its so better to read the original post, then vote and discuss! as Ive mentioned I didnt put it here cause I didnt want ppl to vote for lyrics or to be honest vote for "Cliff"!

I can in some respects understand, but i still do not agree. You could say disregard the poetry in To Live is to Die or that it is Jason Newsted performing, or the Cliff Burton wrote a substantial amount of the song. But it is still an instrumental, should be treated as such. In saying that, this is not my thread so you can create is as you wish.
05.04.2009 - 10:37
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by ToMegaTherion on 05.04.2009 at 02:45

I can in some respects understand, but i still do not agree. You could say disregard the poetry in To Live is to Die or that it is Jason Newsted performing, or the Cliff Burton wrote a substantial amount of the song. But it is still an instrumental, should be treated as such. In saying that, this is not my thread so you can create is as you wish.

youve forgot the most important part of the reason which made me to not put it here ---> it has Lyrics man, its not Instrumental.
06.04.2009 - 02:08
TormentoR.
All are good but i voted for The Call Of Ktulu. and im also gona learn to play this song
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
13.04.2009 - 23:59
Cliff 'em all
Account deleted
I'm having doubts between Call of Ktulu & Orion.

But I'm gonna vote for Orion since it just reminds me of Cliff so much and it was played on his funeral.

To Live Is To Die and Suicide & Redemption are pretty good as well.
14.04.2009 - 20:10
I absolutely prefered "To Live Is To Die", it´s most emotive song of Metallica

So..1. To Live Is To Die
2. The Call of Ktulu
3. Orion
14.04.2009 - 20:19
tulkas
el parcero
Does cool solo from One count? i just love that solo

anyway, from this i've just heard orion, and i do like it, it's pretty cool, but i didn't vote for that same reason. it's the only one i've heard, so... but i'll listen to call of ktulu, hpe i like it (and yeah, as you might've guessed i'm so into metallica)
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
15.04.2009 - 10:22
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Why no one cares about this threads ORIGINAL POST?

To Live Is To Die Is Not An Instrumental Song, it has fuckin lyrics is it hard to understand? your favorite song is to live is to die, it doesnt mean that its instrumental. its annoying.
15.04.2009 - 13:36
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 15.04.2009 at 10:22

To Live Is To Die Is Not An Instrumental Song, it has fuckin lyrics is it hard to understand? your favorite song is to live is to die, it doesnt mean that its instrumental. its annoying.

People just show you that you are wrong. And besides, no one would lock this thread if you included To Live is To Die in the options. Ask whoever.

P.S. I know I am driving you mad, but, man, you're wrong.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

15.04.2009 - 14:20
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 15.04.2009 at 13:36

Written by Guest on 15.04.2009 at 10:22

People just show you that you are wrong. And besides, no one would lock this thread if you included To Live is To Die in the options. Ask whoever.

P.S. I know I am driving you mad, but, man, you're wrong.

Im alwyas mad, but can you explain me what Instrumental song means? and again did you read original post? and if you did what you understood from that? dont you think that I was trying to explain you that its so important for me-the feeling of songs? and with lyrics you dont have your own feelings man, and with lyrics you have the same atmosphere which lyrics take you there man. and songs with lyrics arent Instrumentals man, even if its a spoken part man.

Im tired of complain this, unfortunately noone pays attention, I didnt like to put a song with lyrics here. I dont care if you think its wrong, but if you read the fucking original post you could understand and wont say such things again and again.

(and if they hadnt put Cliff's words in "To Live Is To Die", we could say that they have Instrumental song in all of thrash albums)
(and if they hadnt put Cliff's words in "To Live Is To Die", we could say that they have Instrumental song in all of thrash albums)
04.06.2009 - 19:44
Warheart19
Orion is a masterpiece, my favourite of their intrumental songs.
04.06.2009 - 20:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Actually to all you To Live Is To Die fans...

It is NOT an instrumental song. It isn't because it has a small bit of SPOKEN poetry in it. Just because of that small part of vocals it disqualifies being an instrumental.
No matter that 99% of the song doesn't have lyrics. If that is the criterium people start using than 99% of all funeral doom consists of instrumental songs.

So, sorry to say to you all... The_Black_God IS RIGHT (in this case)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.06.2009 - 20:20
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Crap! I can't believe The Black God is right. What a blow in the face...
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

04.06.2009 - 20:30
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by K✞ulu on 04.06.2009 at 20:20

a veteran of the site had to say it for you to believe it, that shows how incredulous you were!
04.06.2009 - 21:36
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I pray for metallica that they won't ever write any other instrumental song. they only one i can stand is call of kthulu..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
04.06.2009 - 22:23
Warman
Erotic Stains
"Orion" for me, although "Ktulu" is an awesome song too. But "Orion" was the first instrumental song I heard from them and it still blows my mind, especially the Cliff parts.
----
06.06.2009 - 14:55
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 04.06.2009 at 20:30

Written by K✞ulu on 04.06.2009 at 20:20

a veteran of the site had to say it for you to believe it, that shows how incredulous you were!

beginners all over the world, NP.
06.06.2009 - 18:21
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.

Ive mentioned I didnt put it here cause I didnt want ppl to vote for lyrics or to be honest vote for "Cliff"!

Then you should remember that "Anesthesia" is a great big bass solo.

Even if I like too much Ktulu and Orion, Anesthesia has something special on it, so my vote goes for that song.

And yes, the black god is right, To Live Is To Die is not an instrumental
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
06.06.2009 - 20:29
terrorist
Well i voted for Orion.After that preformance on Rock Am Ring festival in 2006 i think this is the best instrumetnal song they've recorded.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
18.02.2010 - 16:22
Roro
I vote for Orion
27.11.2010 - 15:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
"To Live Is To Die" really should have been included in the poll...

Anyways, "Call Of Ktulu" is my fave Metallica instrumental. It has such an otherworldly, haunting sound that is totally captivating. xD
27.11.2010 - 18:34
Brekke K'ktus
As I said before O:), my favourit is "Orion", althou I also
love "The Call Of Ktulu". But,
maybe my choice is influenced
by the fact that I listened to
Orion (over and over again )
while reading "The War of
Thrones" (by R. R. Martin), so now
Orion has a special place, and is
always reminding of of snow and
of Jon Snow.
=)
----
"We gladden the raven"
29.11.2010 - 00:33
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Ktulu all teh Way, although it's followed closely by Orion.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
02.11.2012 - 19:39
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
If "To Live is To Die" was listed as an option (even though there is a poem near the end), i would have chosen that, however out of these options, Orion easily, followed closely by Call of Ktulu. Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth) is a really cool bass solo, demonstrating Burton's skills with the instrument. Suicide and Redemption is a boring song, I listened to it once and I never listened to it again. I don't even remember what it sounds like it was so bland.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
03.11.2012 - 07:51
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth). Kick ass bass from Cliff.