Metal Storm logo
Amon Amarth - New Video Online

Amon Amarth have posted their new video for the song "Twilight Of The Thunder God", online. The video can be viewed at this location.

The title track comes from the band's upcoming album ''Twilight Of The Thunder God'', which will be released tomorrow, on September 17th via Metal Blade Records.

In the meantime, also the song "Guardians of Asgaard" is available for streaming online at the band's MySpace.

Source: blog.myspace.com
Band profile: Amon Amarth
Posted: 16.09.2008 by Abattoir

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 28   Visited by: 154 users
16.09.2008 - 14:55
Bsquared
Awesome!
----
http://www.last.fm/user/Hobflop
16.09.2008 - 15:04
FeskarN
Cool video! Love it!
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
16.09.2008 - 16:41
Iceland_Norway
Lovin' it. I like it.

I wanna the new cd as Limited Edition with 2 cds and one live dvd.
----
Føroyar mítt land

Tú alfagra land mítt

Føroyar mín Móðir
16.09.2008 - 16:47
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Huummmm I sense the taste of one of the best 2008 albums. Love the new song, and the video is pretty well done too. Hail Amon! Can't wait for the album.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
16.09.2008 - 18:27
|pyro|
I like AA. but the video is kinda cheesy.
16.09.2008 - 19:42
YoreLore
Great but why not a video about Thor makes sense no?
----
"I'm rising in power through murdering rain
Stronger than Faith allows
Braver than heroes vows
...My head is bloody
but I am unbowed
I am power..."
16.09.2008 - 20:34
sn0
LARP gone bad
16.09.2008 - 21:44
Holy_Diver
Indeed
But anyway the song is great and so is Guardians of Asgaard
16.09.2008 - 23:49
Symmachus
That's awesome that Amon Amarth's video is released. I might go look at it.
17.09.2008 - 00:36
Are any one of these frames in the video longer than 0.0001 of a second? There's no atmosphere to it at all and no dynamics, just a mishmash of stuff to the dizzying effect. Seems like they had so much footage from their Jomsvikings reenactors that the editor couldn't decide what should go in and instead threw together a mix with a frame from each shooting take. And those reenactors traveled actoss the ocean for THIS? Very disappointing. They could have at least put in some longer shots of a battle going on, intermixed with the band playing in that cabin. That's exactly what they did, right? I wouldn't say so. I for one could hardly make anything out in that montage. The pictures from the video shoot looked promising, but in the final product you can hardly even see what's going on in the "supposed" story line in the video. It was too fragmented, chaotic, and arbitrary to involve me in its watching, and left me completely ambivalent.
They had so many tools at their disposal, they could have told a visual story within that video or at least provide some truly epic shots of those same reenactors, and instead they quickly threw together this hodgepodge that goes neither here nor there. Sad.
17.09.2008 - 01:14
kaylamacgavin
This is great, I can't wait untill the new album is released...only 14 more days! *woo*
17.09.2008 - 01:23
Fhuesc
WTF! and i thought the Ensiferum's Ahti was confusing. With all that budget, at least the could have hired a good director/writer.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
17.09.2008 - 02:30
Newfie_Metal
Epic!
17.09.2008 - 02:32
Fhuesc
Written by Newfie_Metal on 17.09.2008 at 02:30

Epic!

Fail
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
17.09.2008 - 03:01
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Pretty good song, but too similar to the rest of their stuff to actually blow me away. Am I the only one who notices the repetitiveness of Amon Amarth?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.09.2008 - 05:28
Newfie_Metal
Written by Fhuesc on 17.09.2008 at 02:32

Written by Newfie_Metal on 17.09.2008 at 02:30

Epic!

Win!
17.09.2008 - 05:53
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
seems kinda ''normal'' stuff... have no idea of how this new album is going to be, it sure looks like they will remain the ''With Oden on our side'' and fate of norns style.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
17.09.2008 - 07:01
Written by Doc G. on 17.09.2008 at 03:01

Pretty good song, but too similar to the rest of their stuff to actually blow me away. Am I the only one who notices the repetitiveness of Amon Amarth?

As a radio DJ I have the promo copy of the new album, and already having listened to it many times, I would say that this is the first AA album that sounds derived, rehashed, and repetitive to my ears. Of course, Amon Amarth have been repetitive for a long time, but they always made it work somehow by making it their unique style, and it always worked in their favor for six albums. This time around though it seems like all they've done was throw together a bunch of used riffs just to get another album out and ride the wave, so to speak... not even caring enough to allot more care and craftsmanship to these songs. Some people I talked to have already said that this new album feels rushed to them, but I think it's more like Amon Amarth have allowed themselves to relax too much... the old fiery intensity of their older material, the crushing fury of "With Oden On Our Side", is missing somehow...
The main riff to Twilight of the Thundergod fees too much like Valhall Awaits Me... And I don't know why, but as much as I'm trying to like the chorus, it's just too cheerful and light for Amon Amarth (that same "Into Battle We Ride" gung-ho cheeriness that works wonders for Ensiferum, but it's so out of place in an Amon Amarth song, know what I mean?)
The leading guitar line in Guardians of Asgard reminds me a whole lot of that part in the lead guitar solo in Victorious March... and the opening riff of Varyags of Miklagard is not very dissimilar from the one in Pursuit of Vikings. But it's not the fact of similarity to other songs (hell Motorhead have never changed their sound in 30 years), it's just that they sound rather flaccid, the intensity is missing... I must say though that Varyags of Miklagard has grown on me alot over repeated listens. And the song Where Is Your God is the one solid redeeming factor of this album, fire and brimstone and all, sounds like it's straight from the session of "With Oden On Our Side", a faster one like Asator but very very AA-like.
Overall, this album sounds like a direct follow-up to Fate of Norns, as if "WOOOS" never happened. Which is weird, since I expected more songs in that heavier WOOOS style... but it seems like AA have headed off into a different direction. They now sound like a lite up-and-coming melo-death Swed-core band whose main influences are Dark Tranquility, Arch Enemy, and early In Flames. On some songs, like Free Will Sacrifice, I found myself wondering whether I would be listening to them all the way through over and over in hope of giving them a chance to grow on me, if these songs were indeed by another band. The answer would be no.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? And that's exactly what Amon Amarth have attempted to do with their sound. My main complaint is the mix on this album.. Maybe I would have thought of the songs differently if not for this mix. It's so surprisingly sterile, and the lead guitar melodies (that make Amon Amarth's sound so distinctive and recognizable) are shoved somewhere in the back, they're not up front like on previous albums. The guitars sound tinnier too, I would even call that sound "nintendo guitar" (not because they're fast like Dragonforce, which is where I got this phrase, but because they sound thinner, a sound more suitable for lighter nimble power metal rather than Amon Amarth material). This mix takes away the "heavy metal" in Amon Amarth and replaces it with "light alluminum."
"Fate of Norns" had that dark, doomy sound to it and a distinctive atmosphere, it wasn't their heaviest album of course but that brooding atmosphere and Amon Amarth's intensity made it work. This album though feels even lighter, and no such atmosphere to speak of. The songs seem random and half-baked most of the time... and the good that is there is ruined by the sloppy way it's been handled, in the mixing room and in the studio.
Amon Amarth have always managed to write about Norse concepts and the Vikings and make it look damn good and brutal and something to be proud of. Now, for the first time ever in my eyes (and ears), they're veering dangerously close to the cheese territory on some of the songs... (the abovementioned chorus for "Twilight of Thundergod", "the Hero", "Free Will Sacrifice", "Guardians of Asgard" - didn't we already have the line about Yggdrasil quaking to its roots in another song?)
The Apocalyptica cello interlude in "Live for the Kill" works wonderful actually, and the melody line is very moving. But then those tinny-mixed light alluminum guitars take up this melody and carry it onward and the deeply moving atmosphere seems wasted, the spell is broken... I can't believe that mix! But they let it happen.
"Embrace of the Endless Ocean" is classic Amon Amarth circa "Fate of Norns". Again, it would only be so much better if its lower registers were a bit more pronounced... but you get what you get.
And there we have it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to diss them of course. I've been a fan for many years, and am just surprised at how decaffeinated this new album sounds, compared to their previous albums (and especially most recent one!)
17.09.2008 - 08:49
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
really cool video...
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
17.09.2008 - 13:35
Macedonia
Account deleted
It is good video, I like it.
17.09.2008 - 18:00
Murder
Written by worm_is_gloaming on 17.09.2008 at 07:01

Written by Doc G. on 17.09.2008 at 03:01

(hell Motorhead have never changed their sound in 30 years).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to diss them of course. I've been a fan for many years, and am just surprised at how decaffeinated this new album sounds, compared to their previous albums (and especially most recent one!)

Well XD I love Motörhead stuff XD but this is all the truth...

anyway, I think this song have similar riffs and sound, a caracteristic sound which Amon Amarth has had from a years ago, specially the last album has a powerful, extreme and music with good lyrics (like ever) and a solid musical structure, but I aggre with wolfheart and Dr. Rock... when I started to watch the video, the song seems me so familiar... like I've heard it before, and well I don't think they have to evolve much each album with the atmosphere or lyrics, the line they've followed to make their music have been amazing and the fans are following them for many years... but I think too that they should be more emphatic in the sound and try to be more creatives with the structure of their songs...

but after all I'm an loyal follower of Amon Amarth!

17.09.2008 - 18:10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff

As a radio DJ I have the promo copy of the new album, and already having listened to it many times, I would say that this is the first AA album that sounds derived, rehashed, and repetitive to my ears. Of course, Amon Amarth have been repetitive for a long time, but they always made it work somehow by making it their unique style, and it always worked in their favor for six albums. This time around though it seems like all they've done was throw together a bunch of used riffs just to get another album out and ride the wave, so to speak... not even caring enough to allot more care and craftsmanship to these songs. Some people I talked to have already said that this new album feels rushed to them, but I think it's more like Amon Amarth have allowed themselves to relax too much... the old fiery intensity of their older material, the crushing fury of "With Oden On Our Side", is missing somehow...
The main riff to Twilight of the Thundergod fees too much like Valhall Awaits Me... And I don't know why, but as much as I'm trying to like the chorus, it's just too cheerful and light for Amon Amarth (that same "Into Battle We Ride" gung-ho cheeriness that works wonders for Ensiferum, but it's so out of place in an Amon Amarth song, know what I mean?)
The leading guitar line in Guardians of Asgard reminds me a whole lot of that part in the lead guitar solo in Victorious March... and the opening riff of Varyags of Miklagard is not very dissimilar from the one in Pursuit of Vikings. But it's not the fact of similarity to other songs (hell Motorhead have never changed their sound in 30 years), it's just that they sound rather flaccid, the intensity is missing... I must say though that Varyags of Miklagard has grown on me alot over repeated listens. And the song Where Is Your God is the one solid redeeming factor of this album, fire and brimstone and all, sounds like it's straight from the session of "With Oden On Our Side", a faster one like Asator but very very AA-like.
Overall, this album sounds like a direct follow-up to Fate of Norns, as if "WOOOS" never happened. Which is weird, since I expected more songs in that heavier WOOOS style... but it seems like AA have headed off into a different direction. They now sound like a lite up-and-coming melo-death Swed-core band whose main influences are Dark Tranquility, Arch Enemy, and early In Flames. On some songs, like Free Will Sacrifice, I found myself wondering whether I would be listening to them all the way through over and over in hope of giving them a chance to grow on me, if these songs were indeed by another band. The answer would be no.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? And that's exactly what Amon Amarth have attempted to do with their sound. My main complaint is the mix on this album.. Maybe I would have thought of the songs differently if not for this mix. It's so surprisingly sterile, and the lead guitar melodies (that make Amon Amarth's sound so distinctive and recognizable) are shoved somewhere in the back, they're not up front like on previous albums. The guitars sound tinnier too, I would even call that sound "nintendo guitar" (not because they're fast like Dragonforce, which is where I got this phrase, but because they sound thinner, a sound more suitable for lighter nimble power metal rather than Amon Amarth material). This mix takes away the "heavy metal" in Amon Amarth and replaces it with "light alluminum."
"Fate of Norns" had that dark, doomy sound to it and a distinctive atmosphere, it wasn't their heaviest album of course but that brooding atmosphere and Amon Amarth's intensity made it work. This album though feels even lighter, and no such atmosphere to speak of. The songs seem random and half-baked most of the time... and the good that is there is ruined by the sloppy way it's been handled, in the mixing room and in the studio.
Amon Amarth have always managed to write about Norse concepts and the Vikings and make it look damn good and brutal and something to be proud of. Now, for the first time ever in my eyes (and ears), they're veering dangerously close to the cheese territory on some of the songs... (the abovementioned chorus for "Twilight of Thundergod", "the Hero", "Free Will Sacrifice", "Guardians of Asgard" - didn't we already have the line about Yggdrasil quaking to its roots in another song?)
The Apocalyptica cello interlude in "Live for the Kill" works wonderful actually, and the melody line is very moving. But then those tinny-mixed light alluminum guitars take up this melody and carry it onward and the deeply moving atmosphere seems wasted, the spell is broken... I can't believe that mix! But they let it happen.
"Embrace of the Endless Ocean" is classic Amon Amarth circa "Fate of Norns". Again, it would only be so much better if its lower registers were a bit more pronounced... but you get what you get.
And there we have it.

Well actually yes, Motorhead have changed their sound over the years, I thought a radio DJ would perhaps be able to recognize the massive differences while comparing Overkill to Inferno or even 1916 to Hammered, guess not. But this isn't exactly the place to discuss that, but I have always found Amon Amarth generally unoriginal when it comes to riffs, Pursuit Of Vikings being one of the most predictable songs I'd ever heard. I found the song writing a lot better with "With Oden On Our Side" but still nothing all that unique or special.
----
- George Carlin
17.09.2008 - 19:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good video, realy good viking video, it prove sin nowdays are good videos too, but rear once , I like this song ok I didnt like Guardians of Asgaard so much but it is not bad
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.09.2008 - 00:15
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
This might just be Amon Amarth's best video to date. Unlike their last three vids this one didn't make me think: "What a worthless piece of shit." I won't include Death in Fire in this pronouncement; even though that one was worthless as well, it wasn't such a pretentious excuse for a video as Pursuit, Runes and Black Birds.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
18.09.2008 - 00:30

(hell Motorhead have never changed their sound in 30 years)

Written by Doc G. on 17.09.2008 at 18:10

Well actually yes, Motorhead have changed their sound over the years, I thought a radio DJ would perhaps be able to recognize the massive differences while comparing Overkill to Inferno or even 1916 to Hammered, guess not. But this isn't exactly the place to discuss that, but I have always found Amon Amarth generally unoriginal when it comes to riffs, Pursuit Of Vikings being one of the most predictable songs I'd ever heard. I found the song writing a lot better with "With Oden On Our Side" but still nothing all that unique or special.

Well Dr.Rock, every single band changes its sound over the years, including Amon Amarth. Recognize the massive differences while comparing Once Sent from the Golden Hall to With Oden On Our Side. What I was getting at is that some bands have their own STYLE and comparative consistency of playing and/or making songs that they don't tend to deviate from over their multi-decade careers. Like Motorhead. Unlike In Flames. I don't know about you, but I would call Motorhead consistent in this context. I thought someone with a name like Dr.Rock would perhaps be able to recognize that an obvious generalization was being made for the sake of carrying a point across, guess not.
18.09.2008 - 01:55
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by worm_is_gloaming on 18.09.2008 at 00:30

(hell Motorhead have never changed their sound in 30 years)

Written by Doc G. on 17.09.2008 at 18:10

Well Dr.Rock, every single band changes its sound over the years, including Amon Amarth. Recognize the massive differences while comparing Once Sent from the Golden Hall to With Oden On Our Side. What I was getting at is that some bands have their own STYLE and comparative consistency of playing and/or making songs that they don't tend to deviate from over their multi-decade careers. Like Motorhead. Unlike In Flames. I don't know about you, but I would call Motorhead consistent in this context. I thought someone with a name like Dr.Rock would perhaps be able to recognize that an obvious generalization was being made for the sake of carrying a point across, guess not.

I'm sorry, when I read the word "never" in a sentence I generally see it as a fact being trying to be proved. More than just a generalization.
----
- George Carlin
19.09.2008 - 23:27
Gigginova
Account deleted
I just discovered this video on youtube literally minutes ago before coming across this news.

I HATED the new material when I first heard it, but now I'm okay with it, I like the new song!
21.09.2008 - 08:12
vapotrini2
This video is much better than anything they've done before. Nothing amazing but definitely better than the cheesy hand banging stuff imo.

The song itself is ok, there are many better songs (IE: most) on the album if you ask me.

Hits total: 4314 | This month: 3