Metal Storm logo
Midnattsol

Original post

Posted by Soliloquy, 28.06.2006 - 02:39
well, here we go. with one album, the band blew tons of people away. it isnt every day you find a gothic band with folk elements to them, espeically when they are comming from Norway. Norway is huge with gothic metal bands like Theatre Of Tragedy, The Sins OF Thy Beloved and other bands, so this band sort of comes as an outlier.

and yes people, Carmen is Liv's sister. Liv sounds familiar? same female vocalist from old Theatre Of Tragedy, Leaves Eyes, she did a song with Cradle Of Filth, and has her own solo career.

anyways, what do you guys think of the band? your thoughts on Carmen (the female vocalist)? what do you think of Carmen's sister LIV? what genre do they belong to in your opinion? how did you find out about them? and isnt their cover of 'where twilight dwells' one of the best covers you have ever seen?!

do you think that Carmen, and her band are just using Liv's publicity to get big?
21.06.2007 - 21:27
Elodie Artour
Slania
Well,I'm not sure,because I understand almost all of the lyrics.
But it seems like it's not the normal Norwegian. :

btw,Midnattsol is one of my favourite bands.When I first listened to this awesome band,I didn't like Carmen's vocals.And after some time,I decided to listen to some Midnattsol songs again,and so I became a fan of the band.
Actually,Carmen's voice is pretty nice and unique.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
21.06.2007 - 21:56
Torelli
Come to think about it, I pretty sure it's nynorsk, considering this is a folk band and that nynorsk is based on west-norwegian dialects. You also said that it doesn't seem to be normal norwegian, and bokmål is the most spoken Norweigian today and the type of norwegian foreign students usualy learn. Plus that this norwegian also sound a little diffrent fro me than I'm used to.
21.06.2007 - 22:22
Elodie Artour
Slania
Yes,I know all these things.
It has to be nynorsk.
----
24.06.2007 - 03:15
APOHAKC
The Bard
Haven't heard much, but songs I heard sound pretty good
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
24.10.2007 - 13:31
LCxDownfall
Account deleted
Saw them live... they are quite good and fun to watch...
The bassist is :o:o
25.10.2007 - 03:16
Purge
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 24.10.2007 at 13:31

The bassist is :o:o

Agreed!!!

I'm not really into gothic metal at all but I really liked Midnattsol as soon as I heard their album. Carmen has a lovely voice that I think really compliments the music.
As for Midnattsol using Carmen's sister's rep as a way to get big... nah. You don't make an album of this quality if you're not serious about what you do.
04.11.2007 - 13:51
Elodie Artour
Slania
@Purge:You're right-Liv has helped them a lot for sure.

"Where Twilight Dwells"is an album with a high quality,and the band deserves to be well known,too.

I LOVE Midnattsol!They're simply wonderful,although it was hard for me to get used to Carmen's voice.
----
10.11.2007 - 00:38
Susan
Smeghead
elite
I can't wait for the new album! I saw some clips of new material they did live at (I think) the Metal Female Voices fest and the new stuff seemed to sound very doomy. It was a really poor quality recording, probably a camera phone or something, but I'm definitely intrigued
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
16.02.2008 - 20:36
annodomini
Ill take all my bad words about this band, because i really disliked debut album, But now i am listening for Nordlys, and OMG i wasnt expecting nothing like this, its really masterpiece in a kind of metal that Midnattsol plays, wonderfull atmospehe and vocals, headbreaking guitar riffs (sometimes MeloDeathish), there is everything that good gothic metal album needs, actually i think we can call this Dark Metal, but that is not imprtant, improtant is that this is Surprisingly Awesome Album.
----
the riddle wants to be...
16.02.2008 - 23:45
Elodie Artour
Slania
I can't wait for their new album,either!
I only wonder,if Midnattsol will continue sounding the same. (As many folk metal bands do. )
----
20.02.2008 - 17:56
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
elite
Midnattsol have issued the following update on their MySpace page:

"Hey Midnatt-folks,
Finally there's a whole song-edit online on our Myspace-site. Listen to "En Natt I Nord", a song completely in norwegian, inspired by a norwegian film."

You can listen to this new song entitled 'En Natt I Nord' at this location. Enjoy.
21.02.2008 - 10:52
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Oh, I love the new track I absolutely love the Norwegian language when sung by a female vocalist. I'd like to hear it in better quality of course, but this will be good for now. Midnattsol's debut still brings my mind to unique and far-away places when I listen to it now. Their album is one of the CDs I've been looking forward to for so long...! Each song I hear Carmen sing in, the more I love her style.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
21.02.2008 - 12:13
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
elite
I'm agree with you, this new track sounds quite good and interesting. Also, I hope the whole album will be in the same vein.
21.02.2008 - 16:57
Coté
I like them very much, even though I havn't really listened to all the have.
I just have 4-6 song but they are really good ;P

It's kind of obvious since the vocalist is sister of Liv Kristine Espenæs.

I'll download more music, I have too
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::
25.02.2008 - 08:01
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Written by White Winter Sun on 21.02.2008 at 12:13

I'm agree with you, this new track sounds quite good and interesting. Also, I hope the whole album will be in the same vein.

Yes, me too Carmen's lyrics on the last release are so softly poetic, I am confident she's continuing in writing lyrics that fit her style. There are so many offbeat melodies on their debut, I'm very interested to see what the band came up with for this new release. I can only hope to see them live someday... ! Their recording and promotional pictures make the band seem very approachable.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
25.02.2008 - 13:09
VPeter
I am getting very tired of people labeling a symphonic metal band, gothic metal... while it has nothing of the Gothic music style
O well I kinda liked the debut but it was a bit messy, the new song sounds promising tough:)
02.03.2008 - 20:06
Torelli
I like midnattsol's music, it stands out from all the viking-inspired metal bands that seem to spread like a pest nowdays. I think the music of midnattsol reflects the nordic folk music pretty well.

It will be intesting to hear the forthcoming realise, the new song indeed sounds primising, but it doesn't seem to reach to the last album's standard. Still it is far to early to tell, judging by one song that might not even be finished enterily get. We have to wait and see I guess.

@Tír na nog: I think people label midnattsol "gothic" just beacuse the somewhat sombe music. People imiditaly think female voice + sad music = gothic music. It's a shame really.
06.03.2008 - 21:51
Arrwyn
They're musically talented, I give them that. But, something has to be done with their drummer....I mean, the times he uses the double bass is ridiculous and really takes away from the feeling of the song.
21.04.2008 - 09:55
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Written by Arrwyn on 06.03.2008 at 21:51

They're musically talented, I give them that. But, something has to be done with their drummer....I mean, the times he uses the double bass is ridiculous and really takes away from the feeling of the song.

About the drumming - I know what you mean, the double bass seemed a bit excessive at times on the "Where Twilight Dwells" release. However, I think it's the mix too that made it seem so excessive... the drums in those parts were really loud and seemed to take over the music, even drowning out Carmen's vocal lines slightly.

The new CD, "Nordlys," does not suffer from the same problem. The mix is much more subdued, and the rhythms not as weird or offbeat. In fact, I actually didn't care much for the CD at first, because, well, I like the weird mix and such from their debut. I thought it complemented Carmen's vocal style which has an abnormal tone to me too. This new CD has Carmen with more polished style, but with the same unique tone...

I am still listening to "Nordlys" a lot, because I think what the band was trying to do is buried in there a bit, sort of how it took me dozens of listens to enjoy some tracks off of Battlelore's "Evernight" CD. There are already a few tracks I love on "Nordlys," like "En Natt I Nord," "River Of Virgin Soil" and the ballad "New Horizon." I am quite biased though; Carmen's voice is something I find naturally soothing, which I don't think is the case for everyone
----
03.11.2009 - 18:21
albatros
I heard Midnattsol first time live a couple weeks ago on the Female Voices Festival. I'm still intrigued by the rich and sometimes heavy symphonic sound and the warm deep vocals of Carmen. The music is melancholic, but never depressive.