05. Recall
06. The Searing Desert
07. The Far Horizons
08. On The Burning Sand
09. Salinity
10. Sublime Sense
11. The Arrival
12. Dissolution

Three years after Imago, Hegemony is the new album by the French experimental metal band SUP (or S.U.P.).
A short summary for those of you who still don't know the band: SUP plays an unique kind of (atmospheric) metal, based mostly on cold atmospheres, with death metal (and also industrial) roots. Their music is near-exclusively mid-tempo, and they use electronics in the background to emphasize the mood. They also have a quite unique sound, which can be described as cold, downtuned and hypnotic.

Now, of course, the question is: How does this album compare to the rest of their discography?
Well, it's mostly 'more of the same', and that is good news for most SUP fans for sure. It is also a return to something a bit more extreme, with more harsh and/or dissonant riffs and breaks, and contrary to their previous album, the death growls are more important here. But, the experience gained with Imago on the clean vocal parts shines through, so that Hegemony is maybe their most dynamic album in terms of vocals use and contrasts.
'More of the same' also means that Hegemony is a concept album (ALL their albums are story-based). This time, we're in a post-apocalyptic and quite desertic world, and we follow one of the Neovocyts (some kind of post-humans). And this is why the music might sound a bit more 'warm' this time, eschewing the colder feeling of albums such as Chronophobia.

While good, this album has two little problems. First, it really seems that that they don't renew themselves as they did on each other album (compare, for example, Chronophobia to Angelus to Imago), and it's a bit disappointing. And next, I regret that this album has no real highlights; while the album is consistent from beginning to end, no song really shines through?
In the end, Hegemony, while not as groundbreaking as their previous ones (everyone tends to get accustomed to good stuff), is still really good and original. And I even think it can be a good one to enter the strange, dark, and often disorienting universe of SUP. So, give it a try, and welcome?

Written on 21.09.2008 by Once your regular Hellfest reporter, now retired. I (strangely enough) listen to a lot of metal. And enjoy good beers, comics, novels and role-playing games.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 52 users
22.09.2008 - 17:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Wow, I never heard this band before. I checked their myspace and it's very impressive.

The breakdowns, the clean vocals, growls and electronic sounds are such a good mix.
I will definetely check more stuff.

Great review DM
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.09.2008 - 21:33
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.09.2008 at 17:55

Wow, I never heard this band before. I checked their myspace and it's very impressive.

The breakdowns, the clean vocals, growls and electronic sounds are such a good mix.
I will definetely check more stuff.

Great review DM

Thanks!
I'm always happy to help discover good overlooked bands such as them
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
25.09.2008 - 15:49
Rating: 10
Thordelan

That's exactly the problem with 99% of the French metal bands. So many good ones are totally overlooked...
01.10.2008 - 20:16
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Thordelan on 25.09.2008 at 15:49

That's exactly the problem with 99% of the French metal bands. So many good ones are totally overlooked...

True enough now, because most of the bad ones died away (I didn't say Pleymo. Or did I?)
----

I am awake"
04.10.2008 - 00:44
Rating: 10
Thordelan

Written by Darkside Momo on 01.10.2008 at 20:16

Written by Thordelan on 25.09.2008 at 15:49

True enough now, because most of the bad ones died away (I didn't say Pleymo. Or did I?)

I didn't know Pleymo were considered as a metal band actually ~;)

I have to confess I liked a lot one of their very early song but that's about it.

Anyway, when I talk about very good French metal bands, I'm thinking about Gojira (no need to mention them anymore I guess), Gorod, Pitbulls in the Nursery, Kalisia, Symbyosis, Benighted, Hacride, Trepalium, Manimal, The Old Dead Tree, Penumbra, Klone, and the list goes on and on...
05.10.2008 - 17:41
Darkside Momo
Retired
Yeah, the list goes on (Scarve, Agressor, Phazm...).
And Pleymo were considered nu metal, so... yes, metal In the same vein of stuff, Watcha were better.
----

I am awake"

Hits total: 5183 | This month: 9