03. 9mm Movie
04. Scene Of The Crime
05. Entrance Wound
06. Long Silent Voices
07. Dementia Pugilistica
08. Taste Of The Lie
09. Highwire Act
10. Warhead

A small introduction before talking about the music: Project: Failing Flesh is a newly formed American band with the ex-Voivod singer Eric Forrest, that plays experimental melodic thrash. Project: Failing Flesh is the kind of band that is able to create new stuff with old recipes. On the background, this is only pure thrash like you've heard 1000 times.

But this first impression is quickly swept away by the fact that this band, as its name reveals, is created upon a concept, a project about medicine, organ transplants and so on. The music goes along with the project: it is in fact very experimental, to the classic guitar riffs are added the dissonant chords of a viola ['9mm movie'], a few lines of a free jazz piano, passages with an organ, and more generally keyboard parts that oscillate between pure indus and ambient. The plus of these instruments , more than the fact that they are perfectly integrated in the music so that the whole does not sound disorganized, is the way they are tuned: it gives an impression of madness, of dementia that gives light to the lyrics. For example, the psychotic waltz of the piano on 'Entrance Wound': it sounds like a discord, but it creates an atmosphere of sickness, as if you were in the brain of a mentally diseased person.

In my opinion, this is the very purpose of this album, making the listener feel the sickness, the schizophrenia and all the diseases one can meet in an asylum. The award of the weirdness goes to the orchestral arrangements on 'Long Silent Voices', that sound like they have been written by a mad genius. Other interesting features: 'Taste Of The Lie' sounds like early Ministry, nearer to indus metal than to thrash, and this album contains a very personal cover of Venom's 'Warhead'.

In a nutshell, if you want an idea of what this album is like, just imagine Devin Townsend writing songs for Arch Enemy. Its experimental side makes it hard to enter, but I bet we will hear about them in a few years. Project: Failing Flesh is the genre of bands that get the music moving.

Now, please excuse me, I'm going to take my pills, this album attacks my mental sanity

Written by Deadsoulman | 06.05.2004

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 14 users
23.09.2008 - 22:37
Rating: 6
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
This album does experiment with song structure and all but still manages to sound like typical melodic death metal. 6/10

Hits total: 3193 | This month: 5