Metal Storm logo
Metallica

Original post

Posted by +{Jonas}+, 24.09.2008 - 04:44
Once again, topic for Metallica.

Quote:

WRITTEN BY X-CALIBER:
Youve been the one making the same excuse over and over again. I know its not 84. But even for 08, I still think that DM isnt an amazing album. So, why do you like it so much?

Because it's strong, agressive, fast, the solos are back, and it has SOME ELEMENTS form the old stuff. I loved ...And Justice For All so there's not really a reason for me to hate Death Magnetic. I enjoy every Metallica album, some more than others,. but DM is deffinitely in teh ones I like the most.

I mean, you can't expect that they make the same stuff they did in 83, when they were like 20 years old, when it's 2008, and they're 45 years old. Maybe they're not so skilled, maybe the album is mediocre, but since I am no musician, I can't really judge. People who bashed how "mediocre" the album supposedly is, for like 4 pages in teh past topic whould go and listen to Dram Theater or Porcupine Tree or sth. Like that, you'll find no mediocre stuff there.
03.03.2012 - 19:12
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 03.03.2012 at 19:03

James is pathetic in solo.

He is not. Maybe he can't shred like Kirk, but he does solo, he plays well.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
03.03.2012 - 19:20
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by K✞ulu on 03.03.2012 at 19:12

well, pulling back the track....if you compare a performances from 80's..then he's definitely pathetic now. I've seen many times Kirk covering James solo's pretty well...he use to start...but then shredding use to cover the whole up and they are doing quite often. May be he must be good in studio...but live..meh.
03.03.2012 - 19:48
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 03.03.2012 at 19:20

well, pulling back the track....if you compare a performances from 80's..then he's definitely pathetic now. I've seen many times Kirk covering James solo's pretty well...he use to start...but then shredding use to cover the whole up and they are doing quite often. May be he must be good in studio...but live..meh.

well, all I have to say here is
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

04.03.2012 - 19:34
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Breaking News! Breaking News! Breaking News! Breaking....

What Lars have to say about their forthcoming new album>> "We're Picking Out Great Riffs"....
07.03.2012 - 16:14
Korah

"We're Picking Out Great Riffs".... - > things don't change...
----
Don't cry for my English
07.03.2012 - 19:35
Unhealer
Eclecticist
So their next album will be released without a record label? That could be interesting.
09.03.2012 - 19:23
DJ Mythos

I dunno. It just seems to me that every recent Metallica album is the result of thousands of hands patting them on the back, telling them, 'You've still got it, kid!' It doesn't really matter to me whether they do their standard Korn imitation or whether they try their hand at retro-thrash, or whatever it is. It's devoid of any creative impulse. They've been going through the motions for years and years and years, and I think you really have to be a true die-hard, dedicated to the point of hysteria, to find something redeeming in what they do now. I'm sorry but that's the way I see it.
----
Vapour Bay Radio

Miasmic anti-modern metal.
09.03.2012 - 21:53
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by DJ Mythos on 09.03.2012 at 19:23

tl;dr

No need to apologize, many people have come to this conclusion. It's almost as tired as the band itself.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
07.12.2012 - 15:51
FinnishSammich

So, Metallica is on Spotify now.
08.12.2012 - 06:01
Clockwalker

I think DM sucked. The production doesn't bother me as much nowadays but I still think it's annoying. The riffs also sound very uninspired to me. I don't know what most people think when they say someone or something has lost it's edge but I really mean it sounds like their riffs have gotten dull. Plus I think the guitars sound flubbery. I'm not even going to try to explain that one. Maybe like listen to goo hit the ground through a shitty, static filled radio. God, I could go one about how I hate the guitar work in this album. I just started listening to it again for the first time in a few months and it's f*cking painful. It's either nasty riffs or gimmicky riffs(usually persented in the intro). Songs flirt with sounding good, then the I remember the horrible drums and nasty singing. Take "My Apocalypse". It's gets pretty good in the middle then we have to go back to generic riffs, horrible riffs, and the DISGUISTING main riff with the sliding. I don't if you'd call the ending a breakdown but the last 50 seconds sound like something that Scott Ian wrote for "Stomp 442" but threw out because it was too shitty, even for that album.
03.01.2013 - 12:58
Metalandy92

He can actually shred,he just don't do it in Metallica.

Kirk isn't really an amazing shredder,he only use wah wah.
03.01.2013 - 13:01
Metalandy92

Written by Clockwalker on 08.12.2012 at 06:01

I think DM sucked. The production doesn't bother me as much nowadays but I still think it's annoying. The riffs also sound very uninspired to me. I don't know what most people think when they say someone or something has lost it's edge but I really mean it sounds like their riffs have gotten dull. Plus I think the guitars sound flubbery. I'm not even going to try to explain that one. Maybe like listen to goo hit the ground through a shitty, static filled radio. God, I could go one about how I hate the guitar work in this album. I just started listening to it again for the first time in a few months and it's f*cking painful. It's either nasty riffs or gimmicky riffs(usually persented in the intro). Songs flirt with sounding good, then the I remember the horrible drums and nasty singing. Take "My Apocalypse". It's gets pretty good in the middle then we have to go back to generic riffs, horrible riffs, and the DISGUISTING main riff with the sliding. I don't if you'd call the ending a breakdown but the last 50 seconds sound like something that Scott Ian wrote for "Stomp 442" but threw out because it was too shitty, even for that album.

Agree

Death Magnetic sucked.

Everyone seems to think they returned to their roots.
They did not return to their roots at all.
It sounds more like St.anger than Master of Puppets or ride the lightening.
It sounds boring,unispired and generic.

Its not even Thrash metal
03.01.2013 - 18:55
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Metalandy92 on 03.01.2013 at 13:01

Oh, it is thrash metal. Just really bland and uninspired thrash metal. Anyone with ears can hear that.

Written by Metalandy92 on 03.01.2013 at 12:58

Just like you, huh?
04.01.2013 - 10:34
Metalandy92

Written by Guest on 03.01.2013 at 18:55

Oh, it is thrash metal. Just really bland and uninspired thrash metal. Anyone with ears can hear that.

Just like you, huh?

No it isn't thrash and I don't use wah wah.
04.01.2013 - 21:00
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Metalandy92 on 04.01.2013 at 10:34

Just like you, huh?

Well Metallica is Thrash, the first 4 albums I guess... then its not thrash anymore. But It was at some point.

EDIT: Oh sorry didn't see you were talking about Death Magnetic. Well I guess there are some Thrash inspirations here and there.
Not the best thrash out there for sure though.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
07.01.2013 - 10:36
Metalandy92

Written by Guib on 04.01.2013 at 21:00

Just like you, huh?

Well Metallica is Thrash, the first 4 albums I guess... then its not thrash anymore. But It was at some point.

EDIT: Oh sorry didn't see you were talking about Death Magnetic. Well I guess there are some Thrash inspirations here and there.

Metallica is no longer a thrash metal band.
Death magnetic was more in the style of st.anger than MOP or RTL
07.01.2013 - 21:37
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Metalandy92 on 07.01.2013 at 10:36

Written by Guib on 04.01.2013 at 21:00

Just like you, huh?

Metallica is no longer a thrash metal band.
Death magnetic was more in the style of st.anger than MOP or RTL

Well there is thrash in Death Magnetic, even if its only in influence you can hear it clearly. I agree its not great thrash
and that the album is not overly filled with it but still there are inspirations here and there.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
07.01.2013 - 22:11
UncleMeat

Longtime Metallica fans will enjoy this Retro Concert Review

http://mikeladano.com/2013/01/05/guest-concert-review-w-a-s-p-w-metallica-and-armored-saint-january-19-1985/
19.02.2013 - 16:55
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Quite a cool interview with (or rather an article by) Exumed's Matt Harvey talking about Metallica: http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/02/12/the-bravest-man-in-metal-tracks-down-other-brave-men-in-metal-and-presents-harvtallica/
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

24.05.2013 - 22:19
Metal|Bleed

Yes another Metallica thread get in there face it all you haters Metallica ARE the greatest metal and here's the songs to prove it

One
Master Of Puppets
Fade to Black
Creeping Death
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Harvester of Sorrow
Blackened
----
Metal T-shirts, Metal accessories, Metal Pants, Metal posters.... For true metal fans only on http://www.metal-shop.eu/bands/
25.05.2013 - 00:57
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Metal|Bleed on 24.05.2013 at 22:19

Yes another Metallica thread get in there face it all you haters Metallica ARE the greatest metal and here's the songs to prove it

One
Master Of Puppets
Fade to Black
Creeping Death
Harvester of Sorrow
Blackened

Pfft you wish, Metallica are nothing but overrated old men who played like 40 years ago, who the hell cares about them anyway? they're old and can't match up new bands, like Papa Roach or Korn.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.05.2013 - 15:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Boxcar Willy on 25.05.2013 at 00:57

One
Master Of Puppets
Fade to Black
Creeping Death
Harvester of Sorrow
Blackened

Pfft you wish, Metallica are nothing but overrated old men who played like 40 years ago, who the hell cares about them anyway? they're old and can't match up new bands, like Papa Roach or Korn.

wow 40 years ago? Then back in 1973 they were immensely ahead of their time which they also were in the early 80s
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.05.2013 - 01:02
Lit.
Account deleted

Seek and Destroy
One
Fade to Black
Creeping Death

Fix'd.
29.05.2013 - 15:28
OtherDoor

Whether it is inspired or not does not define the genre. Technically it is a thrash metal album... who cares.

I wish they'd record a honest album... like, I'd be curious how Metallica would sound like without all the BS that goes with it, like trying to get back to their roots and artsy Lou Reed stuff. Just a honest metal album, doesn't have to be thrash.
29.05.2013 - 17:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by OtherDoor on 29.05.2013 at 15:28

Whether it is inspired or not does not define the genre. Technically it is a thrash metal album... who cares.

what album are you talking about?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.05.2013 - 17:12
OtherDoor

Death Magnetic.
29.05.2013 - 23:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I wish they'd record a honest album... like, I'd be curious how Metallica would sound like without all the BS that goes with it, like trying to get back to their roots and artsy Lou Reed stuff. Just a honest metal album, doesn't have to be thrash.

"Death Magnetic" may or may not have been, but "Lulu" was an honest album. Yep, it was also awful, but it was an honest album. Or it was, at least for Lars. He especially, was very into the idea of working with Lou, and I think it was also a very honest work from Lou's own perspective. It is true that the best albums usually are honest works, from the heart. But it is a not a given that an honest album will automatically be any good. Lulu is a bad album, and I think most people agree with that. But was it an honest body of work? I think it was.
03.06.2013 - 11:46
OtherDoor

Written by Angelic Storm on 29.05.2013 at 23:05

"Death Magnetic" may or may not have been, but "Lulu" was an honest album. Yep, it was also awful, but it was an honest album. Or it was, at least for Lars. He especially, was very into the idea of working with Lou, and I think it was also a very honest work from Lou's own perspective. It is true that the best albums usually are honest works, from the heart. But it is a not a given that an honest album will automatically be any good. Lulu is a bad album, and I think most people agree with that. But was it an honest body of work? I think it was.

I consider "Lulu" to be more Lou Reed album, than Metallica album. As you said, Lars might have been into the idea, but I think loads of compromises had to be made from their side, because they are working on a project where they don't play the main role. I don't judge them for doing it though, if thats what they wanted to do. I am sure everyone, including themselfs know that they can do much better than that.

I just wish they stopped focusing on gimmicks and do a proper album, without being pressured from either side. They own the label now, afterall.. don't they?
03.06.2013 - 12:40
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
No one give a fuck about honesty as long as record is awful.

If Lars intention was to make a fucking "shitty record" with Lou, he should have made in his home or in backyard and come up with his own album. He shouldn't have seduce other Metallica members to do such an odd record and wasted their time. It's fucking stupid if "Lulu" was made on the intention of "honest record". No only they got bashed in their balls from fans around the world but they downgraded their integrity and respect.
22.06.2013 - 15:56
The Turbanator

They're coming to Singapore in August. I'm not going LOL
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!