Metal Storm logo
What defines a good vocalist above all else to you?

Original post

Posted by Hrothdane, 27.09.2008 - 05:22
When you are looking for new bands, what do you mainly look for in the vocalists? What defines a good vocalist above all else to you?

These are few options I came up on my own:

Unique voice: A voice that is inimitable (unable to be imitated), sounds different from other vocalists.

Ability to scream: That ability to do a spine-chilling metal scream.

Ability to growl: The ability to do death growls and such well.

Vocal Range: The range of pitches the vocalist can perform.

Technical Skill: The vocalist's knowledge of musical theory/technique and ability to apply it in their singing.

Ability to sing "clean" and "dirty" well: Pretty self-explanatory I think.

An expressive voice/singing style: The vocalist's ability to express feeling in their singing.

An interesting voice: You just like something about the vocalist's voice!

Feel free to add/extrapolate from there.
23.04.2011 - 16:51
RavenKing
Simply put: aggressivity, intensity, visceral emotion. Add rawness to the package. I don't care for technique or range. All that matters to me is emotion, as my favorite attitude for a vocalist is spitting hate right at your face and display raw, pure emotion.
That's why I listen almost exclusively to metal with harsh vocals nowadays.

However, as much as I love harsh vocals, I always hated Death growls. Imo, there is no emotion or passion in this and it bores me to no end.

Also, I love when vocals are heavily reverberated (listen to Lord Belial's "Realm Of A Thousand Burning Souls" or Hellsaw's "Spiritual Twilight", for an example, and countless other BM songs).
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
20.05.2011 - 14:29
Razorback
It's good and unique voice ,attitude,communication with public,i like to see someone singing from the heart with energy,in my opinion James Hetfield is good example what vocalist should have,also Bruce Dickinson,Phil Anselmo,Matt Barlow..
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
20.05.2011 - 19:51
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
To start off, its his ability to write. I don't care what the vocals sound like but if the guy/girl can't write some decent lyrics or a good song, I can't listen to it.

Good vocals all the way around, the ability to write and play music. Ihsahn.
20.05.2011 - 21:36
Yasmine
I love Ishahn's music, but his voice is just average, it's not bad. But lyrics aren't actual music, and don't have anything to do with music imo.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
20.05.2011 - 21:41
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I'd have to go with just vocal strength. I don't really give a shit about diversity, even though that can obviously make the music better at times. Well, now that I think about it, I don't usually like it when vocalists combine singing and screaming, or experiment much.
22.05.2011 - 19:44
king_matt
Good vocal range, distinctive voice, and can do a death growl when needed
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
27.07.2011 - 12:23
ToMegaTherion
I'm pretty easy to please, I'm not fussed on style, as long as they are able to fit the music well, perform consistently, and able to cope with change and variety.
27.07.2011 - 15:05
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Not being cheesy. That's all I need.
26.01.2021 - 09:28
tintinb
To be a good vocalist in my opinion there will have to be some amount of creativity in the way he is singing. Serj Tankian for eg.
----
Leeches everywhere.
10.02.2021 - 18:56
Desha
delicious dish
I don't really care about "good" vocalists, I care about if the vocals add anything or if they fit. Often times I like bands because they have great vocals that are unique (I like The Body's vocals, fight me) and like others less because the vocals are just standard stuff.
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill